• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
The likelihood of a Nintendo Direct for this month seems very likely, especially given Kirby Triple Deluxe and Mario Kart 8 are coming next month. Everyone seems to be saying it could come by Thursday for some ambiguous leaks from Gamexplain and such, LOL.

Chrom's face in that pic might have just been templated off of Marth's in that Luigi's nose pic. The way it's crafted together would make it very well-made under Photoshop or some other photo manipulation tool. Although, it isn't too drastic of a take from his facial features. Needs his chin lenghented a bit and his cheek lobes need to be more broad. Maybe make his face come forward slightly to give off a more masculine appearance. Otherwise, the pic could just be the Fire Emblem artstyle adapted for Smash too.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
By the way Opossum, I seriously hope you learned your lesson from this.
Learned my lesson? I had nothing to learn here. I went in not expecting anything, really. I just hoped it was real and played Devil's Advocate for most of the people dismissing the "leak" for somewhat flawed reasons.

I'm not even upset, haha. Like I said, I got a nice Roster Icon for Chrom after this whole thing. :p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So you're still going to believe in April's Fools stuff?

Man, you're going to get your ass slaughtered fast with that mentality.

NEVER EVER give anything from April Fool's an inch.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero : People had fun with a "leak," big deal. If you came to laugh at Chrom fans again and say "I told you so," you will be given an infraction.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
They just sort of get dropped whenever Nintendo feels like it. We typically hear about them...what, about a day in advance? I'm predicting one soon, anyway.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
2/2 post-e3 reveal newcomers have had a stage announced over a month in advance to reveal time.
So, yea...
Palutena and Chrom are locks.
I'd like to point out that there's no such thing as character locks.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I love leaks, is alwways fun to see how a character could look in a new game and damn, chrom is going to look awesome.

andimidna

Smash Master
I'd like to point out that there's no such thing as character locks.
Not even confirmed characters?

But honestly... I can't imagine a final roster without Chrom or Palutena.

The only argument against him is that his hair is blue. Which is dumb. His color swaps will give him different hair colors anyways.
People also pick on him for being a lord, but that's just a class, and it also means you're important. So, bad argument.
And then they mention he wields a sword just like Marth and Ike... but he can just as easily fight with a lance. So that's dumb too.
He can easily be unique, and could be paired with Lucina to add a gimmick we've yet to see. (Not 2 fighters in general, other potential)
He is the most requested Fire Emblem character.
Even on Shortie's poll on this website, Chrom is 1st and Robin is either 3rd or 4th.
All of the hatred for Chrom has happened AFTER the roster was decided.
And the hatred for Chrom, hasn't even reached Miiverse, which Nintendo actually looks at!
He's only getting recent hate on this website, and people seriously think that touches his chances...
He's also from a series definitely getting/deserving another rep.
Recent revival, many games, many sales, many requests, future plans, 3 planned for Brawl... blah, blah, blah.
He is recent, 2013. No argument there.
So uniqueness, requests, deserving-ness, popuarity, recency...

What is he going against, what is he losing in?

Well, the only thing is...
Competition:
-Lucina
-Robin
-Anna
-Tiki
-Micaiah
-Lyn
-Black Knight
-Tharja
-Roy

Let me explain why Chrom is more likely than all of these.
Lucina first. Both Chrom and Lucina were prominent lords in Awakening, but Chrom was the more prominent of the 2. And is more requested. He is the face of Awakening, and who can question that? However she may not be in his way, as the possibility of them together in a team is not out of the question.
Robin... he has recently surpassed Chrom's popularity in certain places on SmashBoards. But that's not enough.
Chrom is more popular in general. On other sites, and like stated before, the Anti-Chrom stuff is too recent. The Robin love is also pretty recent, seems like nobody noticed him until like 6 months ago. They're equally recent, both viable to be completely unique, and both deserve a spot. So it just comes down to overall popularity, where Chrom definitely wins. He's still the current most prominent recent character.
Anna... despite importance throughout the entire franchise, her support is much lower. She's more unique but is not always seen as a Smash character. She gets decent support here, but her thread is half the size.
Tiki... basically the exact same situation as Anna. Both are more unique and important, but have minimal requests, whereas Chrom is among the top 10 most requested characters.
Micaiah... Unique, yes. Important, hmm... kind of. Recent, no... Her prominent appearance was in 2007(much bigger pre-Brawl, similar to my lovely Midna), an Awakening character will take precedence over a 2nd Radiant character.
Lyn... Similar situation as Micaiah, although she was a lord, and an assist in Brawl, and the first FE game to be localized was hers...
- There are many lords before and after her
- The assist occured when she had an unarguably better chance
- That means almost nothing to Japan other than it sold the best... UNTIL AWAKENING!
Black Knight... same as Micaiah, and that a villain from Fire Emblem won't happen until we get all of the protagonists that are far more prominent, AKA everybody listed so far.
Tharja... How is a less popular and more obscure character going to get in over the lord if their both from the same game. For characters that have only been in Awakening... Chrom and Lucina obviously come first. I mean... would you expect Florina before Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector?
Roy... people sometimes argue Roy over Chrom to chose a clone for a 3rd rep. Ugh... no, no, no... Chrom actually has the potential to be unique, Roy was already a clone. Roy's game did not make a big impact on the series, he was a filler character as a clone at the end of development, and because they ended up having to remove him from Brawl, I don't see him coming back. He's the least recent of all of these, the least unique of all of these, yet... the 2nd most requested... *throws up a little* Yes, people want this insignificant clone back just because he was in Melee. All I have to say is... play Project M and shut up. Ike isn't even a semi clone of Marth, but their playstyle is similar, we don't need 3 of these. Chrom could be a lance team with Lucina, there's much more to work with. But Roy? Well, he'd play like he did in Melee. I'm glad to see unique newcomers this time around. Definitely don't see Roy happening this game if he didn't in Brawl. Mewtwo re-established relevance and is the most popular choice, they are in very different situations.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Not even confirmed characters?

But honestly... I can't imagine a final roster without Chrom or Palutena.

The only argument against him is that his hair is blue. Which is dumb. His color swaps will give him different hair colors anyways.
People also pick on him for being a lord, but that's just a class, and it also means you're important. So, bad argument.
And then they mention he wields a sword just like Marth and Ike... but he can just as easily fight with a lance. So that's dumb too.
He can easily be unique, and could be paired with Lucina to add a gimmick we've yet to see. (Not 2 fighters in general, other potential)
He is the most requested Fire Emblem character.
Even on Shortie's poll on this website, Chrom is 1st and Robin is either 3rd or 4th.
All of the hatred for Chrom has happened AFTER the roster was decided.
And the hatred for Chrom, hasn't even reached Miiverse, which Nintendo actually looks at!
He's only getting recent hate on this website, and people seriously think that touches his chances...
He's also from a series definitely getting/deserving another rep.
Recent revival, many games, many sales, many requests, future plans, 3 planned for Brawl... blah, blah, blah.
He is recent, 2013. No argument there.
So uniqueness, requests, deserving-ness, popuarity, recency...

What is he going against, what is he losing in?

Well, the only thing is...
Competition:
-Lucina
-Robin
-Anna
-Tiki
-Micaiah
-Lyn
-Black Knight
-Tharja
-Roy

Let me explain why Chrom is more likely than all of these.
Lucina first. Both Chrom and Lucina were prominent lords in Awakening, but Chrom was the more prominent of the 2. And is more requested. He is the face of Awakening, and who can question that? However she may not be in his way, as the possibility of them together in a team is not out of the question.
Robin... he has recently surpassed Chrom's popularity in certain places on SmashBoards. But that's not enough.
Chrom is more popular in general. On other sites, and like stated before, the Anti-Chrom stuff is too recent. The Robin love is also pretty recent, seems like nobody noticed him until like 6 months ago. They're equally recent, both viable to be completely unique, and both deserve a spot. So it just comes down to overall popularity, where Chrom definitely wins. He's still the current most prominent recent character.
Anna... despite importance throughout the entire franchise, her support is much lower. She's more unique but is not always seen as a Smash character. She gets decent support here, but her thread is half the size.
Tiki... basically the exact same situation as Anna. Both are more unique and important, but have minimal requests, whereas Chrom is among the top 10 most requested characters.
Micaiah... Unique, yes. Important, hmm... kind of. Recent, no... Her prominent appearance was in 2007(much bigger pre-Brawl, similar to my lovely Midna), an Awakening character will take precedence over a 2nd Radiant character.
Lyn... Similar situation as Micaiah, although she was a lord, and an assist in Brawl, and the first FE game to be localized was hers...
- There are many lords before and after her
- The assist occured when she had an unarguably better chance
- That means almost nothing to Japan other than it sold the best... UNTIL AWAKENING!
Black Knight... same as Micaiah, and that a villain from Fire Emblem won't happen until we get all of the protagonists that are far more prominent, AKA everybody listed so far.
Tharja... How is a less popular and more obscure character going to get in over the lord if their both from the same game. For characters that have only been in Awakening... Chrom and Lucina obviously come first. I mean... would you expect Florina before Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector?
Roy... people sometimes argue Roy over Chrom to chose a clone for a 3rd rep. Ugh... no, no, no... Chrom actually has the potential to be unique, Roy was already a clone. Roy's game did not make a big impact on the series, he was a filler character as a clone at the end of development, and because they ended up having to remove him from Brawl, I don't see him coming back. He's the least recent of all of these, the least unique of all of these, yet... the 2nd most requested... *throws up a little* Yes, people want this insignificant clone back just because he was in Melee. All I have to say is... play Project M and shut up. Ike isn't even a semi clone of Marth, but their playstyle is similar, we don't need 3 of these. Chrom could be a lance team with Lucina, there's much more to work with. But Roy? Well, he'd play like he did in Melee. I'm glad to see unique newcomers this time around. Definitely don't see Roy happening this game if he didn't in Brawl. Mewtwo re-established relevance and is the most popular choice, they are in very different situations.
All I said was that there are no such things as character locks...

I'm in no way denying that Chrom is the most likely choice for a new Fire Emblem character. I think at this point that goes without saying. But he does have some competition, and a chance of having no new characters from his series being introduced. We simply cannot say that any character is a guarantee. A character can only be extremely likely.

Also, just a couple of things...

-Blue hair isn't the only argument against him, and we have no way of knowing if it would change with palate swaps.
-He can wield a lance, but that's such a small detail in his overall character. Why would they base an entire moveset and playstyle around that one concept? I mean, Ike could wield axes...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Upon looking back at the Chrom fake, I wish the guy would have made his hair a bit darker. Too much blue, not enough purpley-blue.

andimidna

Smash Master
All I said was that there are no such things as character locks...

I'm in no way denying that Chrom is the most likely choice for a new Fire Emblem character. I think at this point that goes without saying. But he does have some competition, and a chance of having no new characters from his series being introduced. We simply cannot say that any character is a guarantee. A character can only be extremely likely.

Also, just a couple of things...

-Blue hair isn't the only argument against him, and we have no way of knowing if it would change with palate swaps.
-He can wield a lance, but that's such a small detail in his overall character. Why would they base an entire moveset and playstyle around that one concept? I mean, Ike could wield axes...
Yes, I think I've said on here I think he has an 80% chance. I've never thought he has a 100% chance, I also rank Palutena at 95%, not 100%, I may say "lock" or "shoo-in"... but I don't technically mean it.
I guess we don't know, but both Marth's and Ike's did, right?
I guess I'm hopeful the color swaps will be more substantially different this time around. I guess I should have said "can" instead of "will"

To make him unique, that's the point. I'd prefer him to be able to switch. And I'd also prefer Ike to be able to switch to an axe. But that didn't happen. So I'm rooting for this. It's just an argument against how some people think he can't be unique. He can. But it doesn't mean he will be. But the fact that he has opportunities is enough for Sakurai to take them and make a new moveset. Based off his choices and the rest of the development team.

He showed a clearer version of the shot when that happen it was a no brainer you can see cropped parts of his body.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes, I think I've said on here I think he has an 80% chance. I've never thought he has a 100% chance, I also rank Palutena at 95%, not 100%, I may say "lock" or "shoo-in"... but I don't technically mean it.
I guess we don't know, but both Marth's and Ike's did, right?
I guess I'm hopeful the color swaps will be more substantially different this time around. I guess I should have said "can" instead of "will"

To make him unique, that's the point. I'd prefer him to be able to switch. And I'd also prefer Ike to be able to switch to an axe. But that didn't happen. So I'm rooting for this. It's just an argument against how some people think he can't be unique. He can. But it doesn't mean he will be. But the fact that he has opportunities is enough for Sakurai to take them and make a new moveset. Based off his choices and the rest of the development team.

Last I recall, only Marth had a slight change of hair color with his black outfit. So no, the other Fire Emblem characters maintain their blue hair.

As for the spear thing, making him unique is certainly a good reason to implement them. But at the same time, I'd have to question how far they'd be willing to go to make a character unique. I noticed you argued that Chrom has uniqueness in his favor. I would somewhat disagree with that. Chrom CAN be made unique, but he does not have a lot of unique potential with his key attributes alone. Most ways I've seen of making him unique base him off of smaller, less notable abilities of his such as his ability to use spears or heal himself with the Exalted Falchion. To use an example I've used before, that would be somewhat like Mario having a moveset and playstyle entirely based around F.L.U.D.D. and water based attacks. It's something Mario CAN do, but it's a pretty small thing he does in the grand scheme of things. Does this make any sense?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can't remember any changes in the hair color of Marth or Ike in their alternative costumes. In fact, am pretty positive it's always the same color regardless of costume color.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I can't remember any changes in the hair color of Marth or Ike in their alternative costumes. In fact, am pretty positive it's always the same color regardless of costume color.
Actually, Marth's hair becomes a darker shade of blue if he wears the black costume and becomes a lighter shade of blue if he wears the light blue costume.

I'm positive Ike's hair doesn't change regardless of the costume.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Never really noticed actually. Still, doesn't mean it'll be the same with Chrom.

I remember the Melee icons did change the hair colors of Marth and Roy though. However, in game their hair always says the same color.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
2/2 post-e3 reveal newcomers have had a stage announced over a month in advance to reveal time.
So, yea...
Palutena and Chrom are locks.
Never played Kid Icarus much, but from what I hear, people are talking about Hades as well and I'm not sure there will be three reps. Palutanea is likely, Chrom is Very Likely. Question is, Chrom? or Lucina and Chrom combo, as the rumor suggests.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Upon looking back at the Chrom fake, I wish the guy would have made his hair a bit darker. Too much blue, not enough purpley-blue.
I agree on darkening the hair haha.

Also:
The one thing I don't like about the [fake] model is the facial similarities to Marth. I know he's a descendant of Marth, but if Chrom gets in, I'm hoping both Marth and Chrom will have noticeable different features. It's probably just me being nitpicky, but compare Melee Marth and Roy's facial features (and maybe Brawl Marth and Ike's... don't really remember) and you'll see what I mean. It's small differences, but it's something I personally appreciate when done.

Yeah, I guess it's another thing I didn't like about the fake Chrom model. We'll see how Chrom turns out though.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
That's correct. It doesn't credit Chrom. It credits Jack Frost AND Chrom! Woohoo, double whammy for me! (JK)

Yeah, I don't want to see any of those royal blue cuts of the lords be given any new coat of paint via palette swap, which is not the nrom for 2 games straight anyways. Different hues and shades of blue are much better. I like to use the lighter blue color of Marth in Brawl usually because it makes him pop out more and it's closer to his SSB4 scheme. It also gives his hair some light highlights of blue. It would feel pretty unfaithful to the character to swap their hair colors. Besides, how big of a deal is it that Chrom has blue hair? Give me a break! You are probably the same people who wanted Sonic's fur and quills to change color to so you could say that you had your OC in an official Nintendo game!

It would feel weird for Chrom to have a lance/spear as a main moveset or even toggleable between his Falchion. @ False Sense False Sense nailed it right on the head with Mario's F.L.U.D.D. I definitely want a lance type weapon to be used as a move for the sake of uniqueness, but not to be incorporated in his default fighting style. See the example in my moveset for his Up Special. :p

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh the shipping wars that would happen if this guy joins the roster. Then again, anything Fire Emblem related would cause controversy and strife on the Internet.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Oh the shipping wars that would happen if this guy joins the roster. Then again, anything Fire Emblem related would cause controversy and strife on the Internet.
I think that should read, "anything causes controversy and strife on the internet."

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I still like the idea that his final smash give him a support conversation/romance with everyone around him. The absolute best.

(Yes, I know, he only had 5 options and Robin was the one with all of them, but you take what you can get, people.)

Never played Kid Icarus much, but from what I hear, people are talking about Hades as well and I'm not sure there will be three reps. Palutanea is likely, Chrom is Very Likely. Question is, Chrom? or Lucina and Chrom combo, as the rumor suggests.
While not the place to discuss it, I know, Palutena's had a major role in all Kid Icarus games (as a damsel in distress until Uprising, but still), and was the secondary main character in Uprising. Hades, while interesting and an amazing character, is about in the same line as Viridi.

Palutena's much more obvious, and likely, just to clear it up.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I still like the idea that his final smash give him a support conversation/romance with everyone around him. The absolute best.

(Yes, I know, he only had 5 options and Robin was the one with all of them, but you take what you can get, people.)
Wasn't there a fan-art of Chrom's Final Smash being 'Marriage'? :troll:

Even the mouse pad will do. :X

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I sure hope so! So excited for the Direct.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wasn't there a fan-art of Chrom's Final Smash being 'Marriage'? :troll:

Even the mouse pad will do. :X
Now I want the mousepad. God damn it.

Yeah, I can't find it, but there was, and it was amazing.

But yeah you guys; I'd be extremely surprised if Tuesday wasn't our day, and potentially that of some other much-wanted newcomer. Soon the truth shall be ours...

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
After seeing the fake image leak all I could think was "Now I'm angry" in Chrom's voice. But I'll admit I wasn't expecting a Smash only direct. Soon Chrom soon.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
If Chrom doesn't say, "Urine has come!" as a taunt line, for a FS, or whatever, I'll be all like :(.

Once I misheard that line, I here it every time now even though I know it's wrong lol...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom