• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amiibo Figures Available for Pre-Order!

TheRage

Smash Apprentice
anybody else alittle confused about what these figures do? From what I understand we can store data in them, but not sure what else. Dont think ill invest in them, but they will sell like crazyy
It was all explained a little while ago in some more detail. Basically, the Amiibo can act as a sparring partner that learns your style of fighting (or others') and will level up the more battles it's in (up to cpu lvl. 50). This memory is all stored inside the figurine.

You can also use an Amiibo to fight for you/with you against other players, including their own Amiibos as well--which means by this logic, people will probably be having **** fights with their Amiibos sooner or later...

Regardless, the prospect that an Amiibo has the potential of becoming a very smart AI that you can take with you anywhere as a figurine has me sold. The only question is, which one(s) to buy?

Last edited:

Zeroknight9

Smash Cadet
dangit, i was hoping for a pit amiibo to be available. Oh well, i'll probably just get the samus one. Now if only my wallet wasn't already dead from all of nintendo's fan service i could buy it.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I was only interested in :4pit: (how could he not be in the first batch?!) :4robinm::4lucina::4charizard:, but if Amiibos are required to transfer data, I might have to cave in and get :4marth: and give up one of the other oens.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Might pick up the Marth one soon, but for now that's pretty much the only one I'm interested in.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Is this good or bad news for the game being out with the Amiibos by Black Friday... my analysis mode is swinging a la pendulum.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Digital "merchandise" isn't free to create.
No it isn't, thus why digital does cost money, obviously. Physical merchandise however has more costs associated with it, regardless of how you cut it. On top of developing and creating the figures, you have storage, shipping, packaging, and vendor fees. Please, I shouldn't have had to say that much, your original comment was ludicrous to begin with. Companies will always be able to offer more for less when it comes to digital vs physical, quite clearly in fact, expecting the prices and content to be similar is faulted logic.

Last edited:

Occi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2809-9062-9260
Hopefully they will announce more figures.

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
Optimistically I'm assuming that Mewtwo will return, and I would totally buy a Mewtwo Amiibo

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
Is this good or bad news for the game being out with the Amiibos by Black Friday... my analysis mode is swinging a la pendulum.
if you go to some of the pre-order links on the website the stores say that the game will come out 12/31/14. that may just be a placeholder date or the earliest date they can ship by or something but if you don't feel like being particularly optimistic then we can assume that the game will come out on 12/31

Last edited:

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
No it isn't, thus why digital does cost money, obviously. Physical merchandise however has more costs associated with it, regardless of how you cut it. On top of developing and creating the figures, you have storage, shipping, packaging, and vendor fees. Please, I shouldn't have had to say that much, your original comment was ludicrous to begin with. Companies will always be able to offer more for less when it comes to digital vs physical, quite clearly in fact, expecting the prices and content to be similar is faulted logic.
I understand what you're saying, but you need to look at this through a perspective of VALUE, the mk8 DLCs have a 30$ value and are being sold for 12$, while I don't personally believe the amiibos hold a 13$ value for me (of course that's subjective), so I think the price is bad for me and I'll pass. and when you think about it, if you wanted to collect them all you'd be spending well over 600$ just for smash bros.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I understand what you're saying, but you need to look at this through a perspective of VALUE, the mk8 DLCs have a 30$ value and are being sold for 12$, while I don't personally believe the amiibos hold a 13$ value for me (of course that's subjective), so I think the price is bad for me and I'll pass. and when you think about it, if you wanted to collect them all you'd be spending well over 600$ just for smash bros.
You're backtracking. In your original post you stated none of that, all you spoke of was the pricing consistancy of Nintendo while comparing a digital and physical offering. I understand what subjective value is, however your comment was about pricing discrepancies toward intrinsic value in which every cost must be accounted for; digital and physical can not be expected to be similar. I'm not here to argue whether you should get them or not, or to argue their "affordability", all I said is that you shouldn't be expecting the same pricing and content from both.

Probalo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mattoswine
3DS FC
4356-0295-3822
Switch FC
SW 5442-3764-0807
I don't have a Wii U and I likely won't get the new 3DS. But I'll probably get a few of these just as decorations. They look pretty sweet!

Last edited:

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
I'm a big Smash fan but you'd have to be the biggest of big Smash fans and quite the collector if your going to spend that much for all the figurines.

I'd be hyped about having them...until a year in when I'm like "Where's a box so I can move these figurines into the closet/garage..." If I bought a lot of them it'd only be for selling them later when they're worth more, but these are Amiibo so Nintendo will try to sell them for as long as they can even with other games. I'm just not the guy to spend hundreds to store something for 40+ years. But that's just because I'm not a collector.

Philosoglot

Smash Rookie
if you go to some of the pre-order links on the website the stores say that the game will come out 12/31/14. that may just be a placeholder date or the earliest date they can ship by or something but if you don't feel like being particularly optimistic then we can assume that the game will come out on 12/31
Well actually this is just how Amazon works with unconfirmed release dates. They just go to the last day of the year. But it does mean that at the latest, it will be 12/31, but more likely than not, it's just the policy as has been the case for many other things in the past. :)

lob

Smash Cadet
NNID
FunkyLobster
3DS FC
0877-1680-1612
nintendo confirmed the entire roster would have amiibos, i think
honestly the figures themselves look pretty nice. not amazing or anything, but absolutely worth the $13 they cost, i would probably buy some of my favorite characters even if i never actually used them

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
If the sales increase on amiibo, will we get :4sonic:, :4pacman:, and :4megaman: (*)?
If that's the case, i'll take a two to support the 3rd party characters (And the rest of the cast in SSB4)* amiibo figures being produced.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
anybody else alittle confused about what these figures do? From what I understand we can store data in them, but not sure what else. Dont think ill invest in them, but they will sell like crazyy
These figures can be used in multiple games, each game using the data on them in different ways. So far we only know about it's usage in Smash where it will store your personal fighter (The AI fighter thingy).

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
I'll only be getting Sonic and Ike. Possibly Shulk.
If any characters won't be getting them it would be Sonic, Mega man, and Pac-man, just cuz they're playable characters doesn't mean Nintendo has merchandising rights to the IP's.

PuffSmash

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised megaman wasn't included in the first wave.
The figures are pretty cheap. If you compare them to other actual-detailed figures on the market they are definitely not priced high.

I ordered Link, Fox and Kirby a few days ago. Link because normally any Link figure (not toon link) becomes sold out or hard to find very quickly (still looking for the target one that came out last month). I chose Fox because I don't have any Starfox figures and I think he looks great. And Kirby for the same reason as Fox. I just wish Villager was available.

Also I preorder a lot on amazon and 12/31 is basically the date for anything that they don't know when will be available. If you look up the NGC controller adapter for WiiU it also says 12/31. (Same goes for a lot of the funko pop vinyls I collect that actually have September release dates).

Last edited:

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
The Kirby one looks lame, unfortunately. I might collect him and Robin when Robin releases. Otherwise, it's a no go. $26 on two figures is enough for me.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I'll save my money for a Zelda figure, Im already poor because I preordered the 3DS Game.

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
If the sales increase on amiibo, will we get :4sonic:, :4pacman:, and :4megaman: (*)?
If that's the case, i'll take a two to support the 3rd party characters (And the rest of the cast in SSB4)* amiibo figures being produced.
The Privilege to have a third-party character in Smash (basically free advertising), and merchandising rights where Nintendo is making money from selling figures of IP's not belonging to them are two very different things. Those characters most likely won't be getting figures unless Nintendo goes through some intense negotiation and gives up a cut of the profits earned to the characters' company of origin. So it's possible but I don't know if I would get my hopes up.

Last edited:

Hmmmm

Smash Cadet
NNID
Magykal
3DS FC
3883-7075-6475
I thought we already knew how the Amiibo will work on the new 3ds. You put it on the touch screen.

Anyway, I will be buying the Rosalina and Luma amiibo as well as the Wii Fit Trainer amiibo... and the Chorus Men one if they are indeed confirmed for Smash.

Lolzormatic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lolzormatic
3DS FC
3909-7512-5969
dangit, i was hoping for a pit amiibo to be available. Oh well, i'll probably just get the samus one. Now if only my wallet wasn't already dead from all of nintendo's fan service i could buy it.
There is a pit amiibo. I don't know why its not on Amazon though.

Last edited:

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
There is a pit amiibo. I don't know why its not on Amazon though.
Ya this is just the first wave of Amiibos, the rest of the characters, at least most of them, will come later. They don't want to overwhelm people and put like $500 worth of Merchandise out at once.

Demie Duken

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemieDuken
3DS FC
3136-7415-2711
Wow these li'l things are pretty boss-lookin'. I imagine the pricing will reflect their durability so they'll last a good while [because who's going to invest in a replacement/ALL OF THEM?]. My main interest is in Mario, Link, Fox, Peach and Villager.
Until we get Mega Man, guess this li'l figurine I got will have to do... p1010295.JPG

Last edited:

Lolzormatic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lolzormatic
3DS FC
3909-7512-5969
Imagine Mr. Game n Watch as an amiibo :awesome:

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Getting Fox and Yoshi from the first batch. R.O.B. and Mewtwo when they surface.

When. Mark my words.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Hoping that Pit would be in the first batch. Ah well, I'll probably get Mario and Villager to start. Glad they aren't $20.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Marth's face is lol, Samus looks pretty legit.

Gonna buy every last one of them, Smash merch is a must for me on principle. The fact that they do something beyond being amazing collectible figures is just gravy.

No need for me to save 600+, I've already got it stowed away in a hole in the ground ready to $pend on these awesome little guys :D

Top Bottom