• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All newcomers were leaked along Little Mac, Pac Man and the Miis

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkywardStriker16

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SkywardStriker16
3DS FC
4768-7879-5544
Not only that, but getting something as absurd as "Wii Fit Trainer" right, by that exact name. Is that name as a reference to her character specific to Smash Bros? Or do they call her that in Wii Fit?
I would have never guessed the Wii Fit Trainer either. That's kinda creepy, how he got that right.

As for Pac-Man and Mii? They're pretty straight shots, after all, Pac-Man is the face of Bandai Namco. And for the Mii, they'll most likely have customization in there, as well as a default Reggie Mii.

(after all the petitions, if Nintendo doesn't add him in some fashion...they're trolls)

So I guess this leak has some credibility...but even so, the guy screwed up the timing. To be honest, I guess time will tell (probably at E3).

~SS16

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I honestly don't see why people are so starkly opposed to Miis.... It seems like people are already getting used to Wii Fit Trainer, so why are Mii's so outrageous of an idea? People citing the use of offensive caricatures as a reason not to are kidding themselves. Games like Mario Kart Wii and Nintendoland all allowed Hitler to be a playable character, so there's no reason why Smash couldn't also.
WFT is more of a character. Miis aren't. Miis break the feel of the game. I don't want to play a match with Mario, Little Mac, Diddy and "Hitler Mii" or "John Mii." If Miis were more defined as a character, they would work. Right now, they wont fit with the rest of the cast. It's like putting marshmallows on your pizza.

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I can understand not wanting them in. I personally don't really WANT them, but they still make as much sense as WFT, G&W, or R.O.B.
Wii Fit Trainer is a specific character from a specific game.

Game and Watch is from old LCD games, he represents all of those.

ROB was hardware you bought one way and that's it.

Miis are generic faceless 3d models some college kid made in his basement you can put **** faces on.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I may have accepted mii if the villiger did not already take the generic avatar spot

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
WFT is more of a character. Miis aren't. Miis break the feel of the game. I don't want to play a match with Mario, Little Mac, Diddy and "Hitler Mii" or "John Mii." If Miis were more defined as a character, they would work. Right now, they wont fit with the rest of the cast. It's like putting marshmallows on your pizza.
I would of probably agreed with you if It was like pre-brawl where Miis were nothing more than than extra gimmick and only had Wii sports and I think Wii play (did Wii play come out before brawl? I forget). But with games and applications after brawl like Wii Party or the Mii plaza I say they have enough character and personality to be up there with characters like WFT and Villager. Also ever since the WiiU I barely see joke Miis anymore; not like back in they day when the check mii out channel was a thing.

Wii Fit Trainer is a specific character from a specific game.

Game and Watch is from old LCD games, he represents all of those.

ROB was hardware you bought one way and that's it.

Miis are generic faceless 3d models some college kid made in his basement you can put **** faces on.
Well Miis represent the actual player and was Nintendo's first avatar character that was used for a verity of purposes like games and applications, and overall a part of Nintendo's history like the other 3. Also to repeat myself ever since the WiiU I barely see joke Miis anymore.

I may have accepted mii if the villiger did not already take the generic avatar spot
Hey we have two links, whats the harm of putting another avatar character that could play differently ;3

Last edited:

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
Well Miis represent the actual player and was Nintendo's first avatar character that was used for a verity of purposes like games and applications, and overall a part of Nintendo's history like the other 3. Also to repeat myself ever since the WiiU I barely see joke Miis anymore.
Part of history yes, a character? Hell no.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Part of history yes, a character? Hell no.
Sometimes a part of Nintendo history is all you need to get in the Smash Bros. roster (Miis are arguably more of a character then ROB, as in that they represent actual people that the more casual players want to add some fun into having fight. While ROB before Brawl was just an NES peripheral disguised as a toy robot)

Or having just one game that's part of Nintendo's history if Sakurai finds a unique use for them (Ice Climbers)

Maybe that's just because NES is a big part of Nintendo's history as it's first console. But then how about the fact Nintendo has been wanting to use something like the Miis since the NES but they never got around to it up until the Wii was in development?

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes a part of Nintendo history is all you need to get in the Smash Bros. roster (Miis are arguably more of a character then ROB, as in that they represent actual people that the more casual players want to add some fun into having fight. While ROB before Brawl was just an NES peripheral disguised as a toy robot)

Or having just one game that's part of Nintendo's history if Sakurai finds a unique use for them (Ice Climbers)

Maybe that's just because NES is a big part of Nintendo's history as it's first console. But then how about the fact Nintendo has been wanting to use something like the Miis since the NES but they never got around to it up until the Wii was in development?

Hm, I never really knew that they were aiming for an avatar system all the way back in the NES days.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I would of probably agreed with you if It was like pre-brawl where Miis were nothing more than than extra gimmick and only had Wii sports and I think Wii play (did Wii play come out before brawl? I forget). But with games and applications after brawl like Wii Party or the Mii plaza I say they have enough character and personality to be up there with characters like WFT and Villager. Also ever since the WiiU I barely see joke Miis anymore; not like back in they day when the check mii out channel was a thing.
Your missing the point. The problem is the break the content because they do not have a set character. Look at Wii Fit Trainer. She has a set look and design which was used for SSBWU. The Miis, on the other hand, do not. Google "Mii" and notice how there is no consistent look. It's all over the place. This doesn't work in a game where you are playing with mascots. Of course, this comic puts it better than I could.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Your missing the point. The problem is the break the content because they do not have a set character. Look at Wii Fit Trainer. She has a set look and design which was used for SSBWU. The Miis, on the other hand, do not. Google "Mii" and notice how there is no consistent look. It's all over the place. This doesn't work in a game where you are playing with mascots. Of course, this comic puts it better than I could.
I always thought the universal look for the mii was this:

Although you can say the same for a character like villager (before ssb4), but I do understand where your coming from. I do however think they don't need a consistent look to them because a lot of people know the concept of the Mii at this point. Its more the consistent role they play rather than the look itself.

To put it simply Mii doesn't have an iconic look to them but at the same time people know them for what they are for their roles in games/applications.

EDIT: Also with some searching I did find that there are mascot costumes for Miis XD

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Although you can say the same for a character like villager (before ssb4), but I do understand where your coming from. I do however think they don't need a consistent look to them because a lot of people know the concept of the Mii at this point. Its more the consistent role they play rather than the look itself.

To put it simply Mii doesn't have an iconic look to them but at the same time people know them for what they are for their roles in games/applications.
Here is the boxart of City Folk

Notice how he has the same look in the new Smash. Now compare the boxart for Wii Sports Resort

You can see that the Mii characters are all different. This is true of any boxart that has Miis on it. Miis simply don't have a consistent look. You might say "Well, they could make the look uniform," but this would be in contrast to what defines the Mii. In truth, they can't work because they are not a character like the rest of the cast but simply an avatar. The personality of the Miis is derived from the person using the Mii which doesn't translate well into a game with a huge diversity of characters with very distinct looks and abilities. Miis will feel out of place no matter how you stick them in there because they are not the same as the rest of the cast.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Here is the boxart of City Folk
Notice how he has the same look in the new Smash. Now compare the boxart for Wii Sports Resort

You can see that the Mii characters are all different. This is true of any boxart that has Miis on it. Miis simply don't have a consistent look. You might say "Well, they could make the look uniform," but this would be in contrast to what defines the Mii. In truth, they can't work because they are not a character like the rest of the cast but simply an avatar. The personality of the Miis is derived from the person using the Mii which doesn't translate well into a game with a huge diversity of characters with very distinct looks and abilities. Miis will feel out of place no matter how you stick them in there because they are not the same as the rest of the cast.
Although there are plenty of different looking villagers in other box art/promo art so you couldn't really say just one look was it's consistent look

also including all the possible looks a villager can have in game

Plus the fact that the villager itself in nothing more than an avatar character with no personality, except for the personality derived from the player, throws the villager in the same boat as the Mii like you described.

So seeing something like this

Is no more different than seeing something like this

But at the end these are just our personal opinions ^^
I am still glad to discuss this with you though

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
SmashChu's logic fell out a hole in his pocket somewhere. Miis really wouldn't be any different than the Villager, aside from having different source games to draw from. Of course it's completely understandable to like one over the other purely out of personal preference, but it's best that we don't let that influence our arguments about what characters should or shouldn't be included.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
The Animal crossing games have a distinct art style and universe. Miis exist to fill whatever role Nintendo needs them to to sell to granny.

WFT is cute and all but SSB is for hardcore fans, hardcore fans don't care about miis one bit.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The Animal crossing games have a distinct art style and universe. Miis exist to fill whatever role Nintendo needs them to to sell to granny.

WFT is cute and all but SSB is for hardcore fans, hardcore fans don't care about miis one bit.
Implying Animal Crossing is hardcore...

Implying Wii Fit is hardcore...

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I don't really see how Animal Crossing is any more or less hardcore than games that feature Miis.
Implying Animal Crossing is hardcore...

Implying Wii Fit is hardcore...
I'm implying they at the very least have defined designs and art styles. They literally just stick miis into whichever game they can/casual nonsense made to appeal to people who don't care about Nintendo.

This is without going into the fact that gameplay wise they'd be dull as ****.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I'm implying they at the very least have defined designs and art styles. They literally just stick miis into whichever game they can/casual nonsense made to appeal to people who don't care about Nintendo.

I don't really see how having a defined style/world makes something hardcore either.

StarshipGroove

Smash Journeyman
SSB is not for teh HARDCORE FANS. Nintendo develops SSB first and foremost to make money though sales. If the guys at the helm decide that including Miis will sell a lot more copies of the game, then they will include them. Simple.

You'll get to smack stalin and obama around in Smash Bros! Isn't that wonderful!

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I don't really see how having a defined style/world makes something hardcore either.
Maybe this is confusing for you.

Two arguments:

1. Not hardcore: There's obviously room for some casual characters (Villager, WFT) but it's predominately hardcore series.

2. No defined art style/design: The other 2 mentioned while casual are at least defined. Miis look different all the time, sometimes they have arms sometimes they don't, their face is user defined in such a way that by looking at them you know where they're from. Miis are just in everything, looking like a penis or hitler or whatever.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Maybe this is confusing for you.

Two arguments:

1. Not hardcore: There's obviously room for some casual characters (Villager, WFT) but it's predominately hardcore series.

2. No defined art style/design: The other 2 mentioned while casual are at least defined. Miis look different all the time, sometimes they have arms sometimes they don't, their face is user defined in such a way that by looking at them you know where they're from. Miis are just in everything, looking like a penis or hitler or whatever.
You mentioned the style in a response to posts that were only about the concept of a hardcore game. If that wasn't part of your reasoning, then why did you bring it up?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You mentioned the style in a response to posts that were only about the concept of a hardcore game. If that wasn't part of your reasoning, then why did you bring it up?
Well, he did say "maybe it is confusing for you"... so he admitted it. :troll:

You simply have no idea whether Mii's gameplay is going to be dull as **** or not simply because we have not seen Mii in action in Smash yet. I remember a time when people said Little Mac's gameplay is going to be boring because all he does is punch. :troll:

You mentioned how Miis sometimes have arms and sometimes they don't... well, the solution is simple... add the Miis with arms and legs as playable characters... and add the Wandering Heroes (they have no arms and legs) as playable characters. Now we have both! :awesome:

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
As far as Miis go though, Take or leave them in my case, but truthfully, Miis do have a stage representation in the Pilotwings Stage and the Castle Roof, all things considered, so Miis do seem inevitable.

Last edited:

salaboB

Smash Champion
SmashChu's logic fell out a hole in his pocket somewhere. Miis really wouldn't be any different than the Villager, aside from having different source games to draw from. Of course it's completely understandable to like one over the other purely out of personal preference, but it's best that we don't let that influence our arguments about what characters should or shouldn't be included.
Is it fair if I say that I don't think either should be?

(I know, Villager is in. I don't have to like it, though.)

SonicMario

Smash Master
...:facepalm:

Smash Bros. is meant for every kind of Nintendo fan. The long-time/"Hardcore" fans will appreciate all the history that's represented in the game from the roster, trophy gallery, music, etc. While the more casual side just wants to play as their favorite mainstream Nintendo characters and fight as them. For some of those, that might include playing as a Mii even if they just view it as playing as themselves.

There is a way to balance Smash Bros. to cater to many types of audiences. If you just aim for one, it's just not good for the game at all. You get more people interested in the game if there's something for everybody who is currently a Nintendo fan. If anybody is alienated by the game, just because Miis might get included in the roster, they have a twisted sense of what the Smash Bros. series is all about. It's ALL things Nintendo. Not a half of it. Miis are as much of a mascot of Nintendo as some of the other characters that are already playable to some fans, that's really all that counts in the end.

With posts like these, it comes off as really inconsiderate and ignorant to people who may enjoy Smash Bros. for a different reason most of us do.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
These are the default designs of the Mii's for the Male and Female, It's the starting designs on Mii Maker.

So if they were to want the Mii's to have a main design, I'd wager they would probably go for those. However, they will most likely make it so that your main Mii is the default design as a number of Wii U and 3DS games have these days.

Uforia77

Smash Cadet
What if they were to include Mii's with a customizable moveset? It would display their uncanny ability to be thrown into any situation, and somehow have the skills necessary for it. It would also add a hell of a lot of depth, and strategy to the character, as well as being the customizable, personal experience they said they wanted. Think of the Mii kind of like the robot thing from Tekken Tag 2; customizable as hell, yet not OP.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
If the mii has a customizable moveset he/she will probably be banned or forced to only use the default.

A lot would depend on how quickly you can swap the moveset really.

Uforia77

Smash Cadet
I don't mean customizable as in swapping movesets in game (like Zelda/sheik) I mean actually building your own mii character, and selecting moves for him... Whether they'd be moves that already belong to other characters (think of it like Kirby on steroids) or a list of other actions you could chose from to build his fighting style, I don't know, but I really think he'd be a unique character, and make sense with something like this put in place.

I don't think Mii or Pac Man are in the game.

The dude who "guessed" the 3 in the trailer was probably able to see the trailer before hand (It's not impossible)

Little Mac was an educated guess because of the stage, Pacman was a guess because Namco Bandai is involved with the game and Mii was guessed because Nintendo tends to shove them in every crevice of their games.

Then again they could all be real and i'm just kidding myself, but Pacman really sucks (His arcade game being excluded of course).

Uforia77

Smash Cadet
...but Pacman really sucks (His arcade game being excluded of course).
Pacman has had an extremely long career, and only gotten 2 things right... The original ghost dodging, dot munching arcade classic, and Mario Kart Arcade GP... Are these games enough to build a moveset from? Hell no. However, if previous smash installments have taught us anything, is that attacks don't necessarily have to be from a game, or even from that character (See: Marth's moveset, and Ness's moveset) as long as they feel natural for the character. And, if the official sequel to Pacman proved anything, it's that Pac, is a moronic klutz, and they could certainly build a moveset off of that.

Pacman has had an extremely long career, and only gotten 2 things right... The original ghost dodging, dot munching arcade classic, and Mario Kart Arcade GP... Are these games enough to build a moveset from? Hell no. However, if previous smash installments have taught us anything, is that attacks don't necessarily have to be from a game, or even from that character (See: Marth's moveset, and Ness's moveset) as long as they feel natural for the character. And, if the official sequel to Pacman proved anything, it's that Pac, is a moronic klutz, and they could certainly build a moveset off of that.
Actually, a lot of moves of Marth has are based off of his game, same applies to Ness:

While I am aware that it is possible to make moves out of whatever, him, just being him, is a very boring palette, but thats just my opinion. And doesn't Wario already foot the bill as a "moronic klutz" character?

I honestly could see him being in the game, but as a character he seems like they just phoned him in out of desperation and Namco Bandai just placing him in the game just because like with Mario Kart. We'll see though.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I don't mean customizable as in swapping movesets in game (like Zelda/sheik) I mean actually building your own mii character, and selecting moves for him... Whether they'd be moves that already belong to other characters (think of it like Kirby on steroids) or a list of other actions you could chose from to build his fighting style, I don't know, but I really think he'd be a unique character, and make sense with something like this put in place.
Yeah I meant that. It'd all be before the match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom