• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

All newcomers were leaked along Little Mac, Pac Man and the Miis

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm in the same boat with 8-peacock-8. Even if Pac-Man and Miis both show up in the game as playable, it isn't instant proof the "leaker" knew they were in the game, nor is there any solid proof that Nintendo purposefully pulled away three characters being revealed just because one person announced it early. All three are just good guesses. Especially Little Mac and Miis. Pac-Man getting in is all based on Sakurai and/or Namco's decision during the selection process which was finalized a while ago. Yes, Wii Fit Trainer was a bit of a one out of a million chance, but that might of been the one character the "leaker" actually managed to leak even though it would get shown anyway soon afterward. And the "leaker" just added three more characters that are similar to the E3 Newcomers (Popular Nintendo series newcomer: Villager/Little Mac, 3rd Party newcomer: Mega Man/Pac-Man, Casual Audience character: Wii Fit Trainer/Miis) to spice things up.

Even from a point of view as neutral as mine towards Pac-Man or Miis (I wouldn't be upset or dissappointed if Pac-Man or Miis didn't make it into to the roster) can see that because of certain circumstances (Little Mac being one of the most requested 1st party characters, Miis being a symbol of the Wii which will be the console generation this SSB game will be celebrating much like Brawl did for Gamecube/Melee for N64, and Pac-Man ever since it became known Namco was helping with the game) all three characters already had good chances

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't taking about Pacman, I just grouped him with Miis as "things that fit in Smash Bros." That confusion is partially my own fault though for bringing him up in the first place.
I'm the last person you'll ever catch making that argument. I completely agree that that's a stupid reason for anything.
The Snake talk I'll only respond to if you want to take it to the Snake thread. We can drop it if you want, but I DO have things to say about that if you're willing to listen.
The part you're quoting isn't Smash Bros specific, it's any game they show up in that isn't based around Miis (such as pilot wings or sports).

Q: What is their purpose in pure player to player interaction?
A: Player representation, goal accomplished. You can recognize and identify a player by their username and Mii.

Q: What is their purpose in player to game interaction?
A: Player representation, goal failed due to looking nothing like actual humans. This may just be me, but I can not relate myself to my Mii at all.

If they fail at their sole reason (a novel one at that) to exist in Smash Bros, it doesn't matter if they match the aesthetic. Like I said, Villager and Wii Fit pull off minimalist humans perfectly fine.

He's:
1) Not a character highly demanded by fans.
2) Not a character with any interesting traits or back story.
3) Not a character that fulfills the role of player representation, the only reason a character like this would exist in a multiplayer fighting game.
4) Not a character that can be expected to have an high depth/interesting move set (basically just a bunch of sports equipment?)
5) A character that has the potential to be abused (Hitler Mii as an example)

He's a pure novelty character, even if people feel differently about #3. There's a chance that pre-sets would have to be done to stop #5, and then how long until the novelty of playing as a Regi/Whoevertheychoosetouse runs out?

Of course, the argument can be made that the Miis role in Nintendo deserves a spot anyway. This one is really up to whether or not you feel like the Mii is iconic enough.

Also, my points against Snake didn't really touch on his realism as a human.
More realistic humans (Peach, Zero Suit, Zelda, Ganondorf, Link, Cpt. Falcon, Marth, etc.) exist in Smash Bros and match the theme/aesthetic fine.
It would be hypocritical to criticize Snake in that regard.

So if someone said "I want a more realistic Mii in Smash", they would fit fine because we already have realistic humans in the game.
Not that I'm saying it's a good idea for reasons above.

Also, if you'd like to discuss Snake more, I'm sure we can do it via PM. I doubt we're going to change any minds, but at least we can gain an understanding from it.

Last edited:

Kamiko

Smash Ace
The part you're quoting isn't Smash Bros specific, it's any game they show up in that isn't based around Miis (such as pilot wings or sports).
Maybe, but you did use it as a reason for not wanting them in Smash Bros. But apparently it's not the characters themselves you were refering to when mentioning realism, so I guess this point's no longer relevent.

This may just be me, but I can not relate myself to my Mii at all.
This seems to be really situational. I've seen some Miis bear an uncanny resemblance to an actual person. But then for other people it just doesn't work. Imagination and self image probably play a big role in it too.

I. . . don't really see the issue here. What exactly do you mean by abuse?

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
Abusal as in creating inappropriate Miis such as notorious figures (Hitler seems to be the go to example) or intentionally disturbing or hideous.

I don't even know if Nintendo already has methods to counter act this.

If they do have presets, Mii remains a novelty character still.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Abusal as in creating inappropriate Miis such as notorious figures (Hitler seems to be the go to example) or intentionally disturbing or hideous.

I don't even know if Nintendo already has methods to counter act this.

If they do have presets, Mii remains a novelty character still.
Solution, Admins.
That's why they exist. So if there comes to be an offensive Mii, the admins will take of it. :p
That's why I'm not worried about their inclusion. :p

SonicMario

Smash Master
The only thing I really dread about the Miis getting in the game is the fan reaction.

Since it would just go:

Miis are announced for SSB4 -> Those who despised the idea to the extreme that they will not buy SSB4 because of it post about how this is the most terrible addition possible and they're now boycotting Nintendo and/or SSB4 -> More reasonable people try to calm them down -> Those people are labeled Nintendrones and/or Casuals by the former just because they're not as angry as the people denouncing the addition of the Miis -> Many people at eachother's internet throats as arguing devolves into pointless name-calling and ****storms go on for days and days

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
The only thing I really dread about the Miis getting in the game is the fan reaction.

Since it would just go:

Miis are announced for SSB4 -> Those who despised the idea to the extreme that they will not buy SSB4 because of it post about how this is the most terrible addition possible and they're now boycotting Nintendo and/or SSB4 -> More reasonable people try to calm them down -> Those people are labeled Nintendrones and/or Casuals by the former just because they're not as angry as the people denouncing the addition of the Miis -> Many people at eachother's internet throats as arguing devolves into pointless name-calling and ****storms go on for days and days
And then the following day/week, the haters will pull out their wallets to buy SSB4.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
The definition of stubborn.
Not really. I don't believe some random chuckle head from the internet. What's the problem? Oh yeah, there isn't a problem. I can choose what to believe if i want. That doesn't make me stubborn.

Also, if the person is right then good on them. I still don't care.

The only stubborn people are the idiots that insist i should believe some random person i don't even know.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
And then the following day/week, the haters will pull out their wallets to buy SSB4.
People assumed this would happen with Sonic: Lost World.

Turns out, the haters hated it so much that they didn't buy it and it suffered thanks to it.

I guess some fans need to learn that not EVERYONE will automatically buy stuff just because it's from a franchise they like. XD

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
People assumed this would happen with Sonic: Lost World.

Turns out, the haters hated it so much that they didn't buy it and it suffered thanks to it.

I guess some fans need to learn that not EVERYONE will automatically buy stuff just because it's from a franchise they like. XD
Yeah, but thats Sonic. He hasnt exactly been flying off the shelf for years.....

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Yeah, but thats Sonic. He hasnt exactly been flying off the shelf for years.....
Actually, yes he has. That's why he's still around and why the 3 game deal he has with Ninty exists in the first place. XD

Don't let the typical ignorant jokes people love to make fool you. ¦D

But that's not the point. My point is that don't blindly think that haters will always go back on what they say and buy something just because you think it's great. There are tons of people who can and will completely avoid something if it has something they absolutely do not like.

Consider every possibility.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
Actually, yes he has. That's why he's still around and why the 3 game deal he has with Ninty exists in the first place. XD

Don't let the typical ignorant jokes people love to make fool you. ¦D

But that's not the point. My point is that don't blindly think that haters will always go back on what they say and buy something just because you think it's great. There are tons of people who can and will completely avoid something if it has something they absolutely do not like.

Consider every possibility.
It's funny how Sonic Lost World got so much hate, but it didn't sell as much as Sega wanted it. I believe it sold over 600,000 which is actually more than i thought originally. However, that game didnt really have something that got the fans to hate it so much they bought it anyways. Look at these games for example. Sonic Unleashed had the werehog and that game sold pretty damn well. Black Knight had Sonic holding a sword which upset fans to living heck, but it sold over a mil. Now with Sonic Boom, people hate the new designs and im willing to bet the game will sell because of the hate... which is weird.

Anyways, people are already not liking the game because of how it feels like a "Brawl 2.0" and having characters like Mii's and Pac-Man will only cause them to get more upset. However, the game will still get some (not all) of their attention regardless of the fact that someone like Pac-Man is in it. I remember back when Brawl was released, there were people i knew who HATED the idea of Sonic being in Brawl because they either hated his franchise or believed he didnt "fit" Yet, they still ended up buying the game.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
On other hand, I would be pretty annoyed if a generic and boring Tales of character makes it instead of Pac-Man, who is (or was, at some point) actually relevant to gaming as a whole. Not to mention Pac-Man blends with Nintendo much better than this Lloyid guy.
"This Lloyd guy"? Both Namco and Nintendo recognize the significance "Tales of Symphonia" had on Nintendo's fifth gen hopes. The wide success of this game reignited third party interest in the Gamecube and saved it from the same early grave that the Wii suffered. Try to also keep in mind that in Japan the Tales series is as popular as Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. Add the fact that Namco openly admits Symphonia is their best/favorite in the franchise and the case sort of writes itself.

Also, Lloyd's in-game design and gameplay better suits Smash than the vast majority of the current roster. Including every iteration of Pac-Man. I'd suggest actually playing all games in question before stating an opinion. Even on something as silly as Smash predictions.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
"This Lloyd guy"? Both Namco and Nintendo recognize the significance "Tales of Symphonia" had on Nintendo's fifth gen hopes. The wide success of this game reignited third party interest in the Gamecube and saved it from the same early grave that the Wii suffered. Try to also keep in mind that in Japan the Tales series is as popular as Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. Add the fact that Namco openly admits Symphonia is their best/favorite in the franchise and the case sort of writes itself.

Also, Lloyd's in-game design and gameplay better suits Smash than the vast majority of the current roster. Including every iteration of Pac-Man. I'd suggest actually playing all games in question before stating an opinion. Even on something as silly as Smash predictions.
Regardless of how popular and successful the Tales series was on the Gamecube, it still makes more sense to represent your mascot rather than another IP especially considering that IP is getting an HD re-release on a rival console and it's not even coming on the Wii U despite it's success and birth on the Gamecube. Plus, Pac-Man also fits well with the rest of the cast and he's already crossed over with Mario in the Mario Kart Arcade games. In reality, we're either getting their mascot, Pac-Man, or we're getting nothing.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Regardless of how popular and successful the Tales series was on the Gamecube, it still makes more sense to represent your mascot rather than another IP especially considering that IP is getting an HD re-release on a rival console and it's not even coming on the Wii U despite it's success and birth on the Gamecube. Plus, Pac-Man also fits well with the rest of the cast and he's already crossed over with Mario in the Mario Kart Arcade games. In reality, we're either getting their mascot, Pac-Man, or we're getting nothing.
I just deleted a massive paragraph that basically just agreed with everything you just said. However to keep it short, if this was something that was up to Namco, I believe they would rather use Lloyd to push their brand over Pac-Man. Yes, I know that Namco sneaks Pac-Man symbols into most of their franchises. But they have all but abandoned Pac-Man and have even come out and said that they are no longer pursing the franchise in any manner. Lloyd on the other hand has appeared in so many games long after Symphonia's relevance it's not even funny. Also to note, Snake (though he was slated to Brawl even before Melee's release), was essentially an add for the Metal Gear releases on every system but Nintendo's.

With that said, this is Nintendo's game. I agree with you in that I think that they would choose Pac-Man as he is more iconic of the early years of gaming.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

What do you mean by "Lloyd's in-game design and gameplay better suits Smash better than the vast majority of the current roster"?

I mean, if the vast majority of the current roster already are not better suited in Smash... and yet they are in... so why would you say that they don't fit in but Lloyd does?

Who are the minority of the current roster that actually fit in (in your opinion) and why they fit in better than the vast majority of the current roster?

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I honestly don't see why people are so starkly opposed to Miis.... It seems like people are already getting used to Wii Fit Trainer, so why are Mii's so outrageous of an idea? People citing the use of offensive caricatures as a reason not to are kidding themselves. Games like Mario Kart Wii and Nintendoland all allowed Hitler to be a playable character, so there's no reason why Smash couldn't also.

Fandangox

Smash Lord
Completely indifferent about Mii, but:

He's:
1) Not a character highly demanded by fans.
Wii Fit Trainer.

2) Not a character with any interesting traits or back story.
Wii Fit Trainer.

3) Not a character that fulfills the role of player representation, the only reason a character like this would exist in a multiplayer fighting game.
Actually not sure what you mean with this one, but Wii Fit Trainer.

4) Not a character that can be expected to have an high depth/interesting move set (basically just a bunch of sports equipment?).
Captain Falcon and Fox got movesets specific for the game. Sonic just spins around. Also it doesn't matter what the "tools" in its moveset are, as long as they are executed in a unique and fun way. Its like writting off Ike because he only uses a sword.

Probably the only actual thing that would prevent it from being on the game, but consideirng it was never a problem in Mario Kart Wii, I don't see how it would be a problem here. Does anyone know if "Offensive" Miis get banned in Nintendo Land or 3D World?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I hate the mii because it's an avatar not a character that rep someone in the nintendo universe,

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I hate the mii because it's an avatar not a character that rep someone in the nintendo universe,
I can understand not wanting them in. I personally don't really WANT them, but they still make as much sense as WFT, G&W, or R.O.B.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
While Game and Watch is simplistic, it's in an awesome way. I remember back in 2001 when he got leaked and the leaker complained Mr. Game and Watch had the most awful taunt (and Mewtwo reminded him of Frieza. LAWL). I played him when I finally got the game and couldn't disagree more.

However, Miis feel simplistic in a rather ugly fashion. And that's still not my biggest beef. If they go with a non-customizable moveset, they're sure to feel out of place on any non-generic Mii, and if it's customizable and not quarantined in its own mode, it breaks the game. Miis rub me the wrong way more than any modern incantation of Pac-Man.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
This might be really silly but there are only 3 things that could really dampen my enjoyment of the new smash: crappy online, major balance issues or the inclusion of mii's.

Here you have this amazing fighting game with all kinds of unique characters, then you go online and see all these casuals pick these super generic mii's because they like playing like themselves. Urgh, I can already see myself getting annoyed every time I have to face a mii online. These things are like the ultimate representation of genericness and casualness and everything that's wrong with games nowadays imo. Why would they taint such a unique roster of characters with such characterless characters, I wouldn't.

Sadly Mii is part of Ninty's history so there's always that chance they might show up as playable, hopefully Sakurai realizes they don't deserve a spot in the roster and gives them a honorary place with the AT's or in the background somewhere. I might be overreacting but playable Mii's would put a serious taint on my game and it would definitely be a hype killer for me.

Last edited:

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
This may sound stupid and I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate but the Mii is personally one of my wanted newcomers.

I can't quite tell you why I like them; maybe its just because I like its simplistic and may a dare say cute look. I've played as my Mii in other games and played against Miis and I don't really have a problem with them. Also I have ever run across an offensive Mii online which seems to be a big concern, but I assume in smash 4 they will only restrict you to using Miis that are under an account for online matches (for offline however go nuts heehee ^^).

I also never got why people think the Mii is only restricted to a sports themed move-set when they have quite a library of games to work with. Other than Wii Sports they have games like both Wii Parties, Wii Music, Nintendo Land, both Wii Plays, Find Mii, Mii Force, etc. So I can see them having a move-set that can involve elements from all those games (I would personally like to see a final smash based on Mii Force).

The Mii has been around for quite awhile now and show up a lot recently even showing up right at the start up of the WiiU. Miis are a part of Nintendo's history and should be welcomed like any other character new or old.

Anyway just ramblings from a fan of Miis, but I just wanted to have you guys to hear an opinion form someone who actually wants them to represented as a newcomer.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I honestly thought that there would be a Mii character in Brawl. Not saying I'm for Mii's, but I'm not against them. They have a huge moveset potential so that argument is invalid. Oh and they are very recognizable.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Wii Sports is the best-selling game of all time. Unless Sakurai has a really, really good reason not to include them, Miis will be in.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
This is why I was against Wii Fit Trainer and Villager, a Mii is more likely when characterless avatars are allowed to run amok instead of real characters.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Wii Fit trainer isn't an avatar, though.

And lots of Smash characters have been player avatars at one point or the other, including Mario and Link.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I'm completely neutral on Miis. But people who give reasons like they don't want to see Miis just because they don't want to face Miis all the time on online and/or see offensive Miis. The thing is that only happens if you go with "With Anyone" online. Which is a mixed bag anyway, where you could get someone who picks a character just to use their most spammable attack to annoy you. It's easy to prevent this concern because you just gotta have the right online friends and you wouldn't have to worry about a thing. (And on offensive Miis, that hasn't stopped Mario Kart Wii and other games that were online capable from using Miis before. Why is suddenly Smash Bros. the great "We must prevent Hitler caricatures from being used!" game?)

Also Miis may not be an icon of Nintendo to alot of you guys, but they are to the players that started with the Wii. And like it or not, that's enough to establish them as Nintendo icons eligible for the Smash Bros. roster.

I honestly thought that there would be a Mii character in Brawl. Not saying I'm for Mii's, but I'm not against them. They have a huge moveset potential so that argument is invalid. Oh and they are very recognizable.
The reason they weren't in Brawl is because Brawl focused more on remembering the Gamecube/GBA/DS generation. I think Miis have a better chance this time because obviously this game will focus more celebrating the Wii generation. Smash Bros. games seem to have a precedent of including mostly stuff referencing the previous Nintendo console. Just look for all the SNES influence on SSB64, the N64 influence on Melee, and as I said, the Gamecube/GBA/DS influence on Brawl. Miis were a symbol of the Wii so it would make more sense then it would've of back in Brawl.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Again, I'm not personally for Miis, but Miis have a lot in common with Villager. Villager is an avatar and is rather characterless, because he's just a standin for the player himself in that world. His moveset is drawn from actions that the player does in Animal Crossing on a regular basis, as well as elements of the Animal Crossing world.

In much the same fashion, the Mii's moveset would be based on actions that the player does in games where Mii's are the starring cast. This would include elements from Wii Play, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Party, or frankly, they could even have the Mii utilize real-world console accessories, since they are tied specifically to Wii-branded games. There is plenty of heritage to be found in games that feature Miis, even if it is highly casual-gamey in nature and not very fantastical in any way. Heck, R.O.B.'s moveset is based entirely on thrusters that he never had and real-world toy accesories.

I can understand anyone's disdain for the concept of Mii's in Brawl, because Mii's have, for the most part, been a part of games that are completely casual with no sense of imagination in them, but that didn't stop Wii Fit Trainer. And I recognize that Mii's (no more so than WFT) represent what is "wrong with gaming" in many gamers' eyes, but you also have to understand that Mii's represent a segment of gaming that is no less legitimate than Mario or Zelda. Our kind of gamer (the kind that likes what we gamers often call "real" games, such as Mario, Zelda, Halo, Megaman, Infamous, Street Fighter, etc) is no more important than the type of "gamer" (who don't, in fact, even call themselves "gamers") that like games like Wii Party, Let's Dance, Angry Birds, or Wii Sports Resort. Heck, as "real gamers," we're not any more important than people who like checkers, chess, monopoly, or Yu-Gi-Oh. This sense of elitism is exactly what I hate about the gaming industry, and it's what makes me hesitate to call myself a gamer sometimes.

But that's why I love Nintendo. They seem to be one of the very very few gaming companies that doesn't have this sense of elitism. They aren't above making games for people who like simple gaming. Because we're all human beings, and the experience of playing a console shouldn't be reserved exclusively for the people who like serious or immersive games. Video games is a broad enough genre that it should be compared to books. "Real gamers" read novels, but that doesn't make self help books any less legitimate. Self help books aren't "what's wrong with reading in this day and age."

I'm not trying to say that you're a bad person for not wanting Mii's, but you have to understand that gaming is more than just the hardcore franchises that we know and love. There's a generation out there that is growing up having played Mii games as a kid and now has fond memories of Mii's. Yes, our generation can't relate to this fondness, but that doesn't mean it's not a legitimate sentiment. They're an important part of Nintendo's heritage, and it makes sense for them to be included, whether they actually make it in or not. Gaming is more than just the hardcore, and Nintendo, whether we like it or not, is more than just the hardcore. Nintendo is the "everyone" gaming company, and Smash Bros is a game that celebrates the entirety of Nintendo's heritage. Mii's are huge, and they make sense.

Sorry for the novel. =P

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This may sound stupid and I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate but the Mii is personally one of my wanted newcomers.

I can't quite tell you why I like them; maybe its just because I like its simplistic and may a dare say cute look. I've played as my Mii in other games and played against Miis and I don't really have a problem with them. Also I have ever run across an offensive Mii online which seems to be a big concern, but I assume in smash 4 they will only restrict you to using Miis that are under an account for online matches (for offline however go nuts heehee ^^).

I also never got why people think the Mii is only restricted to a sports themed move-set when they have quite a library of games to work with. Other than Wii Sports they have games like both Wii Parties, Wii Music, Nintendo Land, both Wii Plays, Find Mii, Mii Force, etc. So I can see them having a move-set that can involve elements from all those games (I would personally like to see a final smash based on Mii Force).

The Mii has been around for quite awhile now and show up a lot recently even showing up right at the start up of the WiiU. Miis are a part of Nintendo's history and should be welcomed like any other character new or old.

Anyway just ramblings from a fan of Miis, but I just wanted to have you guys to hear an opinion form someone who actually wants them to represented as a newcomer.
Again, I'm not personally for Miis, but Miis have a lot in common with Villager. Villager is an avatar and is rather characterless, because he's just a standin for the player himself in that world. His moveset is drawn from actions that the player does in Animal Crossing on a regular basis, as well as elements of the Animal Crossing world.

In much the same fashion, the Mii's moveset would be based on actions that the player does in games where Mii's are the starring cast. This would include elements from Wii Play, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Party, or frankly, they could even have the Mii utilize real-world console accessories, since they are tied specifically to Wii-branded games. There is plenty of heritage to be found in games that feature Miis, even if it is highly casual-gamey in nature and not very fantastical in any way. Heck, R.O.B.'s moveset is based entirely on thrusters that he never had and real-world toy accesories.

I can understand anyone's disdain for the concept of Mii's in Brawl, because Mii's have, for the most part, been a part of games that are completely casual with no sense of imagination in them, but that didn't stop Wii Fit Trainer. And I recognize that Mii's (no more so than WFT) represent what is "wrong with gaming" in many gamers' eyes, but you also have to understand that Mii's represent a segment of gaming that is no less legitimate than Mario or Zelda. Our kind of gamer (the kind that likes what we gamers often call "real" games, such as Mario, Zelda, Halo, Megaman, Infamous, Street Fighter, etc) is no more important than the type of "gamer" (who don't, in fact, even call themselves "gamers") that like games like Wii Party, Let's Dance, Angry Birds, or Wii Sports Resort. Heck, as "real gamers," we're not any more important than people who like checkers, chess, monopoly, or Yu-Gi-Oh. This sense of elitism is exactly what I hate about the gaming industry, and it's what makes me hesitate to call myself a gamer sometimes.

But that's why I love Nintendo. They seem to be one of the very very few gaming companies that doesn't have this sense of elitism. They aren't above making games for people who like simple gaming. Because we're all human beings, and the experience of playing a console shouldn't be reserved exclusively for the people who like serious or immersive games. Video games is a broad enough genre that it should be compared to books. "Real gamers" read novels, but that doesn't make self help books any less legitimate. Self help books aren't "what's wrong with reading in this day and age."

I'm not trying to say that you're a bad person for not wanting Mii's, but you have to understand that gaming is more than just the hardcore franchises that we know and love. There's a generation out there that is growing up having played Mii games as a kid and now has fond memories of Mii's. Yes, our generation can't relate to this fondness, but that doesn't mean it's not a legitimate sentiment. They're an important part of Nintendo's heritage, and it makes sense for them to be included, whether they actually make it in or not. Gaming is more than just the hardcore, and Nintendo, whether we like it or not, is more than just the hardcore. Nintendo is the "everyone" gaming company, and Smash Bros is a game that celebrates the entirety of Nintendo's heritage. Mii's are huge, and they make sense.

Sorry for the novel. =P
Interesting and well thought-out arguments, both of you guys. personally, for me, it's not that they represent casual gaming, per se, that I dislike the idea of them in Smash as much as it is that I personally find them to be plain, boring and without a certain charm to them.

I love how some of you guys are so hung up on this that even if the remaining two get revealed you're still going to insist that the leak wasn't real. Who gives a **** at that point? You're not obeying some principle at that point, just kind of being an ass.

Last edited:

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Interesting and well thought-out arguments, both of you guys. personally, for me, it's not that they represent casual gaming, per se, that I dislike the idea of them in Smash as much as it is that I personally find them to be plain, boring and without a certain charm to them.
That's totally understandable. I, too, think the Miis have a generally lazy design. I feel like I could've done a better job. =P

But that being said, the designers do a good job taking otherwise plain characters and adding visual interest and a certain level of charm.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11

Well, we have to make a distinction between the Mii's fundamental design and their designs in various games. That is one of the great things about Miis though... their appearance is highly flexible. They could be given a pretty kickin' attire for Smash.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
Completely indifferent about Mii, but:
Wii Fit Trainer.
Wii Fit Trainer.
Actually not sure what you mean with this one, but Wii Fit Trainer.
Captain Falcon and Fox got movesets specific for the game. Sonic just spins around. Also it doesn't matter what the "tools" in its moveset are, as long as they are executed in a unique and fun way. Its like writting off Ike because he only uses a sword.
Probably the only actual thing that would prevent it from being on the game, but considering it was never a problem in Mario Kart Wii, I don't see how it would be a problem here. Does anyone know if "Offensive" Miis get banned in Nintendo Land or 3D World?
#3) is trying to say that the purpose of character avatar representation in a game should be to help transport the player into the game. I mean, clearly we've all had series we've adored to the point of wishing to be apart of the universe. I feel that the only good reason a player avatar would be in games to slightly satisfy that desire.

The only other I can think of would be sheer novelty purposes.

For Mii as a character on a whole, his role in Nintendo would also serve as a reason. This is great for Mii since personally I don't think the first two hold up.
As you've pointed out, Wii Fit Trainer is in the game for this reason alone. She symbolizes Nintendo and their monopoly on combining video games with exercise, perhaps the greatest example of warranted and intelligent motion control use.

I will say that I hadn't considered that updated Mii look rather than the oblong rotund that is usually their entire body shape, which may even change my previous statement for #3.

Last edited:

Peekolow

Smash Cadet
pacman's final smash would be turning the stage into the original pacman and the enemies are the ghosts and u run away from pac man untill you die.

josh bones

Smash Lord
Things change at E3, getting 4 out of 6 right isn't as easy as the people on this thread think. This is chaoszero all over again

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Things change at E3, getting 4 out of 6 right isn't as easy as the people on this thread think. This is chaoszero all over again
Not only that, but getting something as absurd as "Wii Fit Trainer" right, by that exact name. Is that name as a reference to her character specific to Smash Bros? Or do they call her that in Wii Fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom