• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~§~ Puerto Rico: Land of overlooked accomplishments ~§~

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
I'd go for sure. Realistically, there's probably a 90% chance that I'll go as long as it isn't in Vieques or Humacao or some crazy **** like that.

masschaosde

Smash Apprentice
I totally agree with ya. I'd go if it were local or at least close. I ain't going to something that's on the esta coast of PR.

<off topic> Armando fueron a casa de Victor a jugar ssbm o no???

Sylence

Smash Rookie
O.o
Who dares call me by my real name? I will get to the bottom of that...

No, I wasn't going to Victor's house.. I don't even know who he is, in this case. I don't generally attend Smashfests.

I just returned from being in Isabela a whole week with my family (Maximus and Vain were notified). I know there are many notable crew members living there and I must say.. I didn't see any particularly good-looking females during my whole stay. Was I unlucky or does Isabela just suck like that?

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
You wouldn’t go to the east coast for a tournament masschaosde? You know, we are competitive smashers here. People who are really serious about competitive activities and improving will be willing to travel anywhere for a good tournament. I’d go all the way to ****ing Australia for a tournament if it was going to be huge with some of the best players ever. Of course I can’t do that because I don’t have the money for that and there aren’t any FC-scale tournaments over there that I know about. The point is that competitive play and casual play do not mix, and if you’re a casual player it’ll be kind of tough being involved with the rest of the cast. Although I do hear RUM is planning on having casual play for the new semester separate from competitive play, but other than that we play seriously.

masschaosde

Smash Apprentice
OK I get that people over there on the east coast are competitive yet you just have to understand that I'm beginning to get into the game now. Before I didn't even play it that much. Now that I know almost everything I need to practice it. That's why I wouldn't go to a comp on the east coast. But that's for now. If I improve a lot more then I'll go. But for now, I'll stay local.

masschaosde

Smash Apprentice
Sylence said:
O.o
Who dares call me by my real name? I will get to the bottom of that...

No, I wasn't going to Victor's house.. I don't even know who he is, in this case. I don't generally attend Smashfests.

I just returned from being in Isabela a whole week with my family (Maximus and Vain were notified). I know there are many notable crew members living there and I must say.. I didn't see any particularly good-looking females during my whole stay. Was I unlucky or does Isabela just suck like that?
If your name's Armando then cool. But I wasn't talkin to ya. And like popeofchilitown said, Isabela has lots of sexy ladies. You just gotta know where to look. Man, never diss Isabela.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Actually, the more pressing issue is that masschaos and I are both still in high school, and pretty much every single extracurricular activity you can imagine. Now I know a lot of other guys in here are in high school and have similar schedules, but other-side-of-the-island tournies are probably out of the question for us specifically, mainly because the both of us (as pathetic as it may sound) are still completely under our parents' control. Plus, they still don't buy that we're serious about this stuff.

I just don't want people to think we're not fully committed to achieving mastery of competitive level smash. I try my hardest, often to the point of exhaustion from practicing alone until 5am, to master the technical aspect of the game. I realize I have to play great players in order to become great myself, but as long as I'm living in my parents' house, I have limitations.

Metro area tournies aren't completely out of reach, don't get me wrong, they're just very, very difficult for us, and will require planning/begging/finessing.

Another thing, I don't want you to think I'm being dodgy about getting together or anything HDL, it's truly very hard for me these days to find a way(there's too many bad circumstances going on, I don't know where to even begin), although I'm itching to play some smash with you to see how much I've improved.

masschaosde

Smash Apprentice
PopeOfChiliTown said:
Actually, the more pressing issue is that masschaos and I are both still in high school, and pretty much every single extracurricular activity you can imagine. Now I know a lot of other guys in here are in high school and have similar schedules, but other-side-of-the-island tournies are probably out of the question for us specifically, mainly because the both of us (as pathetic as it may sound) are still completely under our parents' control. Plus, they still don't buy that we're serious about this stuff.

I just don't want people to think we're not fully committed to achieving mastery of competitive level smash. I try my hardest, often to the point of exhaustion from practicing alone until 5am, to master the technical aspect of the game. I realize I have to play great players in order to become great myself, but as long as I'm living in my parents' house, I have limitations.

Metro area tournies aren't completely out of reach, don't get me wrong, they're just very, very difficult for us, and will require planning/begging/finessing.

Another thing, I don't want you to think I'm being dodgy about getting together or anything HDL, it's truly very hard for me these days to find a way(there's too many bad circumstances going on, I don't know where to even begin), although I'm itching to play some smash with you to see how much I've improved.
Everything he said is true HDL. All of it.

Laser_kirby_007

Smash Apprentice
I hate to disagree but I think the school schedule thing you said is bull. You know, I'm in college right now taking 4 classes only and I feel like I'm in hell cause I have to study like 5 hours a day for just 1 class (chemistry if anyone is wondering). But for the parent stuff I totally agree with you. You see, I pay my college myself and I pay for all the stuff I want myself too, but I still have to beg my mom to let me go to someone's house from 10 am to 3 pm, just to play some smash. I don't even get to stay late at people's house, go figure.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Laser_kirby_007 said:
I hate to disagree but I think the school schedule thing you said is bull. You know, I'm in college right now taking 4 classes only and I feel like I'm in hell cause I have to study like 5 hours a day for just 1 class (chemistry if anyone is wondering). But for the parent stuff I totally agree with you. You see, I pay my college myself and I pay for all the stuff I want myself too, but I still have to beg my mom to let me go to someone's house from 10 am to 3 pm, just to play some smash. I don't even get to stay late at people's house, go figure.
I don't think it's fair that you call bull on what I said, especially since I haven't explained myself.

It's not just classwork that holds me hostage, it's stuff like college applications, fundraising activities, being a member of certain organizations, sports teams, having to take care of my younger brothers (which includes picking them up from school in the afternoon as well as making food for them at home, helping the youngest one with homework, etc.), and just generally keeping everything in order for this last semster of high school. And on top of that is the fact that my parents don't really like me going places far away for something that, as important as it may be for me, doesn't seem so much to them. I'm not saying this will stop me from trying, just trying to get you guys to understand what's going on if I suddenly can't make it to a certain tourney or fest, for instance. I wouldn't want to dissapoint anyone.

Laser_kirby_007

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I apologize if I was offensive earlier, I didn't mean to offend you. I was just trying to point that you shouldn't blame it all over school business. I think I participated in most of the things you mention in your post and it didn't take much time at all. I understand it takes time for this things, I just get angry at people for blaming school on taking our time while I remember those days when I had nothing to do most of the time, and played break the targets all day and night. Again, I apologize if I was offensive in my post, I just wanted to give my opinion.

masschaosde

Smash Apprentice
Laser_kirby_007 said:
Ok, I apologize if I was offensive earlier, I didn't mean to offend you. I was just trying to point that you shouldn't blame it all over school business. I think I participated in most of the things you mention in your post and it didn't take much time at all. I understand it takes time for this things, I just get angry at people for blaming school on taking our time while I remember those days when I had nothing to do most of the time, and played break the targets all day and night. Again, I apologize if I was offensive in my post, I just wanted to give my opinion.
It's ok. We get that you went through all of this and it didn't take you much time, but when you've got problems with the groups most of the activities are not done well and they consume almost the whole day. Still, we try our best to keep practicing.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Mayaguez is safe from being dissed because it’s the broken town.

I don’t know what kind of schedule you guys have, but take a look at Carlos. He still goes to high school and is involved with many things and yet he’s already traveled to the west for three tournaments so far. These things are usually held on the weekends which makes it easier for people with busy schedules. It can’t always be helped but just to show you that some good time management and you can find ways to squeeze things in with no worries.

On that note most of the tournaments would probably be held in the west anyway, since it seems that it’s generally much easier for people from the east to come over here than it is vice versa. Speaking of which I think it’s about time I start talking to people about having another tournament soon.

Pope maybe one day I’ll drop by your house. Just let me know when and where.

Crono the Great

Smash Cadet
Tournament wise, I think it would be a good idea to have one next Monday. I mean, Monday's Martin Luther King Jr. day so we all get that day off. If a tournament is gonna be held soon please post it here. I would really like to go to one to see how I compare to you guys. I don't get to play that often with my friends and the CPU is really lame. Anyway, when the next tournament is held I'll do my best to get there, if its okay for me to go that is.

masschaosde

Smash Apprentice
It's cool that most of the tournaments are held in the weekends, but most of our activities are also held in the weekends. I'd hate to sound like I'm putting up some lame excuses, but that's the truth...
And if you're going to have a tournament anywhere, post it. Pope and I will try to go.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Crono the Great said:
Tournament wise, I think it would be a good idea to have one next Monday. I mean, Monday's Martin Luther King Jr. day so we all get that day off. If a tournament is gonna be held soon please post it here. I would really like to go to one to see how I compare to you guys. I don't get to play that often with my friends and the CPU is really lame. Anyway, when the next tournament is held I'll do my best to get there, if its okay for me to go that is.
It would be a bad decision to just try and have one next Monday. Tournaments need to be planned some weeks in advance before anything can be done. Because firstly we need to obtain permission from the given locale, we need to make sure it’s on a suitable date where the majority is able to attend, we need to confirm who’s able to bring TVs, cubes, copies of smash, etc. There’s a lot more involved than simply deciding when you want the tournament to be, a lot of other things must be considered. The good thing is having a tournament sometime soon is pretty likely, but we still need to see what most people say on it because almost everything has to be done correctly.

However smashfests are another story. Those are generally easier to arrange and if you guys are game I’m up for a smashfest next Monday, depending on location. I probably can’t ask Pope to have it at his house because of his parents, schedule, etc., but something can be worked out. I can probably get a few other guys to come along too.

Crono the Great

Smash Cadet
I didn't realize there was such a difference between tournaments and smashfests, lol. But yeah, that smashfest things sounds like a good idea, and was basically what I was trying to say. So, if its not too far, I'd like to go with a couple of friends who are really good at smash around here. Not pro good( they don't use advanced tactics, dont think they know about them), but in Gurabo they could be the best. I if you are planning something, let us know here in the forums.

Uriel Vinellus

Smash Ace
Can it be arranged ( smashfest) by saturday instead or sunday? So I can attend and most people here in the East too. I would like to practice it's weird but last time I played I was playing much better.

EDIT: My goal is to two stock Lord HDL and Maximus.

Eval

Smash Journeyman
Uriel Vinellus said:
Sounds like a challenge.

Im finally back to the internet, it was awhile since last time I posted here. :p

Anyways about the smashfest, I hope theres one soon because I want to play everyone else again. Also I want to have matches with the guys that I havent met yet that post here. :D

Crono the Great

Smash Cadet
Im glad to see that everyone is up for a smashfest. Now we just need a place. I would love to have it at my house, but unfortunately my room is too small, and I don't think my parents would really like the idea.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Hey guys um listen I asked my folks about inviting a bunch of guys over to play some smash on a free day and they pretty much bit my head off. They didn't want to deal with the 'rebolú', and went off about how our free days are their free days too, they want to relax, etc. And that they didn't like me inviting people from the internet whom I have never seen before. I guess this goes parallel to their almost cult-like following of Court-TV and this new "e-perils" phenomena they rave so much about these days.

I think I could have made it work if they'd let me, but for now it's pretty much out of the question.

Essence_of_the_Gods

Smash Journeyman
Uriel Vinellus said:
Can it be arranged ( smashfest) by saturday instead or sunday? So I can attend and most people here in the East too. I would like to practice it's weird but last time I played I was playing much better.

I would also like the smashfest to be be held in the east... the closer to Bayamon, the better :laugh:

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
He wasn’t talking about having one in the east. He meant if one could be held during the weekend so those of the east could go (to the west). Obviously people like myself from the west have no say when it comes to smashfests from the east. We’re talking about possibly having one soon on this side.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Doesn't anyone live in Arecibo or something? We could have a smashfest somewhere around that area so that it's practically the same distance from both east and westsiders.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
To my knowledge there is no one we know of in Arecibo. Even if there was, the chances they’d be willing/able to hold a smashfest in the same week of being told is dim. I suppose I could ask my parents if we can hold it at my place, but I can’t guarantee anything. They are very wary and strict...

Uriel Vinellus

Smash Ace
maximuspita said:
I think your goal is kinda low, Uriel......

Well it's my goal in the smashfest if we have any. Now my true goal is a secret if I tell it it will never come true sombody will jinx it or something I just knwo it.

Dojima

Smash Ace
Uriel Vinellus said:
Well it's my goal in the smashfest if we have any. Now my true goal is a secret if I tell it it will never come true sombody will jinx it or something I just knwo it.
Hmmm is your true goal to beat Doji's Zelda?

Vain

Smash Journeyman
Ore no Goaru

Dojima said:
Hmmm is your true goal to beat Doji's Zelda?
That's MY GOAL, Doji's Link and I.C. are nothing compared to his Zelda, oh those kick nightmares I'm still getting while I try to sleep.
My other goals are perfect shfflc with Marth and of course to take down Uriel's Falco.
So much trouble with Falcos x_x.

Uriel Vinellus

Smash Ace
Well we can raise funds for that. We can like go to New York and play in Gaunglet of course we won't win first place I mean top players compete there. But we'll get far and gain tourny exp.

Top Bottom