• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oregon Brawl Pre-release (another one?)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash

I'm currently working on holding another one of these. I don't think I'll be able to secure a venue, so it will most likely have to be at my apartment. RSVP will be invite only due to limited space and setups. All information can be found on the TIA page.

Click here to go to the Oregon Pre-Release TIA page.
Click here to go to the "join TIA" page.

Sunday, Feb. 16th
Noonish Registration Begins.
12:00 Singles Friendlies
1:00 - 3:00 Singles Tournament.
3:00 - 4:00 Doubles Friendlies.
4:00 - 6:00 Doubles Tournament.
6:00 - 8:00 Crew Battle!!!
8:00 Everybody leaves.

Admission Fee: $5/person
Singles Entry:
$5/person
Doubles: $10/team
Crews:
Free!

Singles Pot:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Doubles Pot:
1st: 70% for team
2nd: 30% for team

Questions?
(541) 687-6883
Ask for t!mmy or leave a message on the machine.
All tournament discussion to be held here or on Tia.

For more information, please visit the Tia tournament page.

Attendee List
t!mmy

Captain J

Smash Rookie
Awesome! I got a bunch of peeps over here in Veneta who'll be friggin' pyched! Expect a call soon.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Edit:
First post updated.
Everyone please read the Rules & Regulations.

I talked with Brdy about Final Smashes on AIM earlier and we both agree that they're not balanced enough for competitive play. However, the reason they're on for this tournament is because:

1) It will show how FS can work in a competitive tournament.
2) This will be most players first time playing Brawl and not having FSs on would be disappointing.
3) I don't expect any pros to wander into this tourney and john about how they lost because FS was on.

In regards to #1:
I can remove FS from the first Oregon Brawl League after we've used it at this tournament and have discussed its influence on gameplay as a community. Last Sunday the SoCal Brawl tourney had all Items set to ON, with specific ones banned (recovery items and hot curry).

In regards to #2:
I know when I went to E For All, I was sort of disappointed that Items were set to some high level of appearnce and the matches were 2 min Time Battles. However, I had an awesome time and I wouldn't have taken Final Smashes off if I had a chance to change things.

In regards to #3:
You really can't expect this game to play like Melee. For the most part we're all going to be noobs trying to figure the controls out - myself included. Enjoy the game! Have fun!

Yes, this is "my" tournament, and I can choose the rules as I see fit. However, regardless of the fact that I'm running the tournament, it is the players that are most important, in my opinion. We shall address the question of Items, Finals Smashes, etc. at the venue, together, and after the initial round of friendlies. If there is a large number of players completely against Final Smashes, we can perhaps add a clause to the rules allowing players to modify the frequency of Final Smashes.

Some ideas:
"Counterpicking" - Announcing them as OFF during your counterpick.
Player Agreement - Smash Balls can be turned OFF if all players agree.
Restricted - A player may only use a Final Smash once per game.
Bannz0r'd - Not a single player wants to use them available in the tournament.

Feel free to continue the discussion here, but currently the default will be Final Smashes are ON.

cmin

Smash Ace
final smash takes too much skill to use since it appears randomly next to you and is basically a win button

Jem.

Smash Master
Confirm Jamo and I for this.

Lets hope all the vids I've been watching someone transmute into skill..

EDIT: So are we getting to counter-pick with any stage since we dont know names and so we see how it is? And Jamo has a window and heater in his car now. Warmth on the 6 hour drive there and back = <3.

Double Edit: How many setups of Brawl are there? Cause if its only 1, going to be pretty hard to get everyone playtime before it starts.. Does anyone want to record with me?? ^_^. I can't wait for this, excited!

Triple fyi: It's only Jamo and I coming from WA I imagine, so we'll either be leaving during Crews, or we need a crew to play on.

Balloon

Smash Lord
Timmy, I'm watching videos from the socal tourney right now and they do not have any items on at all, not even smash balls.

Climax11

Smash Ace
So...after doing some impossible magic, I've gotten saturday off, so go ahead and confirm Lord Cmax for this event...I'm not sure, but most likely the Climax Mobile will be taking passengers with me if enough people show interest. If not, I might try and convice these wonder washington guys to pick me up one the way since I live right off the high way and would be more than happy to pitch in to there probably ridiculous gas costs...eh...eh?

cmin

Smash Ace
cant make this, its asian new years, gotta be in portland to collect my lucky money wewt

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
There must be more than one SoCal Brawl event because I was going off this interview with Gimpy:
http://www.getyourtournament.com/multimedia/gimpyfish0202.wav
Anyway, the only items on are Smash Balls.

I didn't expect WA to show up, don't you guys have your own Brawl pre-releases? I'm just thinking about the wait between games for each player if too many people show up.

Edit:
I'm making an RSVP list. Please tell me the number of people you are bringing because I may need to limit the number of players unless we get a second setup.

Someone called from Springfield and is bringing four people to this tournament, so the numbers are already getting pretty high.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Oh yeah, it is new years this weekend... guess I'll celebrate playing Brawl.
I agree we keep Final Smashes in. If we like them, we keep them in, if we don't, we keep them out. No reason not to give it a chance. And Oregon never imitated California before, let SoCal do what they want.
It's not like these rules are set in stone @_@

Climax11

Smash Ace
oh, and also..I want final smashes on :)
if I only get to play brawl once in the next month, I'd rather get a feel for as much of the game as I can. I really doubt a tournament where people walk in blind is going to be that highly based on "skill".

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I thought someone in WA had Brawl already. But, yeah, you're welcomed to come. I just need to mention that we have only one setup planned at this point (hopefully 2?) by this weekend. This is why I am now taking RSVPs, mostly for time constraints.

Jem.

Smash Master
Smash Balls are on no matter what, said Timmy. His tournament, his rules.
Unless they wanna do the thing where everyone in the 1v1 or 2v2 match going on agrees to turn them off or not touch them.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
The rules have been given a big update:
http://tia.nealpro.com/ttournament.aspx?id=385

Specifically rules for Friendlies have been added to help speed up player rotation.
Please read them!

why do you guys push tia so much?
Neal has done a lot of work to create and maintain a tournament-orientated Smash website.
Tia will play a major role in future tournaments.
When I recognize something positive being done for the Smash community I do my best to contribute and support it.

Smash Balls are on no matter what, said Timmy. His tournament, his rules.
All players opinions > mine.
Only a few players have said they don't want Final Smashes, and only a few players have said they do want Final Smashes. I'll wait to hear what everyone says at the tournament, but for now FS is set to ON. I've included the option in the updated rules to turn them off if both players agree to do so.

brdy_

Smash Lord
Easiest way to unlock everybody is play stamina matches with HP set to 1 with high poison flower on against 1 CPU. Play ~450 of those and you unlock everything.

Top Bottom