• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zune Software Dilemma

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone, I hope it's okay if I post this here... forum seems kinda relevant.

If this is too much to read, just skip down to the section after the ====.

I have always hated the Zune software, having been spoiled by the excellence of the Creative software, but nonetheless I recently purchased a 30G Zune because my old Creative Zen Micro took a spill on the driveway and died. The price was a mere $140 for the Zune (as the 30G model is stepping aside to make way for the 80G one) so despite my gripes with it, I now own a Zune. Within a couple of days, I managed to force the Zune's software to basically do what I want - it's still no Creative MediaSource, but it has been working well enough.

Recently, a new Zune software/firmware upgrade was released. I have been consciously avoiding said update, because I didn't want to mess with a "good" thing. However, my boyfriend accidently installed the update and now I am stuck with the new software. I don't want to worry about complicated bug fixes, which I saw were out there on the 'net. What I want is to rollback to the old Zune software.

The only way I can think to effectively do this would require me to 1) disconnect my internet and 2) completely uninstall the Zune software on my computer. However, if I do this, upon reinstall will the Zune software display an empty library, which I would then have to repopulate (I like having "Monitor These Folders" disabled - have been adding things manually)?

Worse than the new Zune software - which I know I could get used to if not for THIS thing - is the firmware update. I know the benefits of the firmware update, but frankly I don't care and I don't find any of it useful enough - TO ME (I know other people may be jumping for joy) to tolerate it. The HUGE font is ugly as sin (for those of you who haven't seen it, the main menu on the device after the firmware update contains HUGE menu titles, as though it were designed for the vision-impaired). Maybe some people think the humongous text is cool, but I think it is dumb.

I haven't upgraded my device to the new firmware, although it may be inevitable. However, my boyfriend has already upgraded his firmware, so this presents a new problem: if I do rollback to the old software, will his device, with the new firmware, not work with the old software anymore?

========================
PHEW, IN SUMMARY: Hate the new software and firmware for the Zune. The new software was inadvertently downloaded to my computer. I want to try rolling it back to the old software version (which will be complicated, if it's even possible), but my concerns involve the subsequent necessity of repopulating my library, and the fact that my boyfriend upgraded HIS Zune to the new firmware, and perhaps his device will no longer work with the old software?

Does anyone know if my concerns are unfounded or not? Has anyone tried?

Thanks.

Also, I know I'm being picky. :p

GOTM

Smash Champion
the cd that it came with should still have the old software on it. uninstall the software u have now, then reinstall it with the cd, and when it asks if you wanna update it, hit no.

thats the best way i can think of

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the reply! That's a good thought, but I learned that the new firmware will not work with the old software, and my boyfriend's not willing to downgrade his device, so I'm pretty much screwed unless Microsoft decides to let the software be forwards/backwards compatible...

PohTayToez

Smash Cadet
If your main concern is losing your library, is there not an option to export your library?

Also, a bit off subject... do you still have the broken Zen Micro?

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Haha yes, I still have the broken Zen Micro. My main concern is not the loss of my library, it's the loss of functionality and style ;)

My boyfriend is concerned about the loss of HIS library (on his Zune device), however, because he has the Halo edition Zune and he doesn't think the exclusive preloaded content is exportable, and moreover doesn't want the hassle of downgrading the device back to the old firmware (though he has no particular attachments to the new firmware).

EDIT: Losing my library would be a concern if I were to rollback to the old software, though the files would still be on my computer so I would just have to add them to the Zune library again. That's not a huge issue though. However, this seems like it will be a non-issue, for downgrading the software does not appear to be an option if my boyfriend will not also downgrade the firmware on his Zune.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Within a couple of days, I managed to force the Zune's software to basically do what I want - it's still no Creative MediaSource, but it has been working well enough.

I don't want to worry about complicated bug fixes, which I saw were out there on the 'net. What I want is to rollback to the old Zune software.

PHEW, IN SUMMARY: Hate the new software and firmware for the Zune. The new software was inadvertently downloaded to my computer. I want to try rolling it back to the old software version (which will be complicated, if it's even possible), but my concerns involve the subsequent necessity of repopulating my library, and the fact that my boyfriend upgraded HIS Zune to the new firmware, and perhaps his device will no longer work with the old software?
I feel for you. This is why I don't use any Microsoft products that have to do with sound or video. These forced updates are a load of crap.

When Windows said I wasn't allowed to listen to my music unless I upgraded Windows Media Player to the newer, more DRM-filled one, I switched to Linux and Amarok.

I mean, if the costumer has to fight the company from "inadvertently" downloading and installing new software, that's a problem.

Sorry, but I don't know enough about the use of Zunes to tell you how to fix your troubles. My advice: Go with another Creative the next time you buy. Until then, I'm sorry you have to deal with your idiotic Zune.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Hi, thanks for the reply. The newest development is, the computer at my boyfriend's apartment is up and running again, so he will just download the "upgraded" Zune software there, and I can downgrade the software on this computer. Luckily I held out and never caved to download the upgraded firmware, so I don't have to worry about downgrading that.

The Creative mp3 player I had was the best. I really, REALLY did not want a Zune, but for the price and the functionality (at the time) I couldn't beat it.

I guess, if this software downgrade goes as planned, my problem is solved! :) For now. :-P Till Microsoft strikes again!!!

SiD

Smash Master
Man, I downloading the new firmware and stuff, and now my Zune's battery drains just from sitting there. I turn it off just like I used too, then try and turn it on the next day and it's completely drained. THen when I hook it up with the USB cord to charge it, it constantly turns back off every few seconds for hella long before it actually starts charging. **** you Microsoft! Anyone else have any issues like this?

Jammer

Smash Lord
I don't have a Zune, but this happened to me with my digital camera. The reason was that the paint on the metal in the battery compartment had worn off, and the batteries were sort of shorting out, if you know what I mean.

See if that has anything to do with it, SiD. It might not even be the firmware.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
It could be a coincidence that your battery has started to fail upon downloading the new firmware. Also, you probably know this already, but you should not have your Zune on hold when you are trying to charge it. Anyway, you can go to the Zune website failing all else, as their forums have a lot of user-found fixes.

EDIT: ALSO, if I'm not mistaken, when you do the upgrade, it automatically turns your WiFi settings back to ON, which drains your battery. Therefore, check and make sure your wireless settings have WiFi turned OFF.

SiD

Smash Master
Well, you can't get at the battery compartment dude.

And I doubt it's a coincidence, but it's possible. And I did not know not to have it on hold while charging actually, howcome?

And yeah, Wifi is off.

And I have a theory that so far seems to be proving true. If I leave my headphones unplugged, the battery doesn't get drained. Didn't do that before, but if it does actually work, than problem solved.

Jammer

Smash Lord

And I have a theory that so far seems to be proving true. If I leave my headphones unplugged, the battery doesn't get drained. Didn't do that before, but if it does actually work, than problem solved.
Well, I guess that shows how much I know about Zunes.

Ah, this is actually caused by practically the same thing: the batteries shorting out over a large resistance, or, as it's more commonly called, battery leakage.

It's usually caused by cheap construction or bad design, or just unluckiness.

Try cleaning both the headphone jack in the Zune and the connector on your headphones. There's only a small chance this will actually work, though. If you've got dirt or something in there, that could be doing it.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Um...I dunno. Soap and water? But use regular (non-antibacterial or fancy stuff) liquid soap.

Take out the battery first (can you even do that?), and don't turn it on until you wait 6 or more hours for it to completely dry.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman

And I doubt it's a coincidence, but it's possible. And I did not know not to have it on hold while charging actually, howcome?
Yes, yet another reason the Creative is superior to the Zune - the Creative's lithium-ion battery is easily accessed, and you can change it yourself if need be, but I believe that you actually have to mail in your Zune to change its battery, because it is completely internal. I guess if you have confidence and the know-how, you could probably change it yourself, though it may void your warranty. I don't really know, though, never having such concerns with my old Creative! (Le sigh.)

Supposedly, it doesn't charge as well if it's on hold (meaning locked, just so we're clear). I didn't test this theory out though.

SiD

Smash Master
Hm. I like the Zune though, and there shouldn't be a reason I'd want to access my battery. But Creative is awesome from what I hear.

And you can take it appart I guess, cause my friend put a bigger hard drive in his.

Joules

Smash Rookie

Does anyone know if my concerns are unfounded or not? Has anyone tried?

Thanks.

Also, I know I'm being picky. :p
Generally it's a pain to downgrade the firmware on these kinds of devices. What you want to look for is some sort of recovery mode to boot to in order to A. Uninstall the current firmware, than proceed to reinstall the firmware of your choice or B. Format the whole darn thing, than proceed to reinstall the firmware of your choice (In which case all your data should be backed up!).

Also consider that if you are currently able to transfer data to/from your PC and can communicate with other Zunes you might want to just deal with the changes (They're generally beneficial anyways). A plethora of new problems could result from downgrading, such as windows not recognizing the device: If it ain't broke...

Also, google ftw: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=downgrade+firmware+zune&btnG=Search
(Too lazy to read information and relay)

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the reply! Luckily I never upgraded my firmware, so the only thing for me to downgrade is the software. Not a problem.

I had seen those software/firmware downgrade guides, and downgrading the firmware does look to be a pain.

I'm sort of on the fence now, though, because I keep thinking it'll all be an unnecessary hassle if Microsoft patches some of the problems away in a week and then I'll just wind up upgrading again. In fact I was nearly ready to change my mind completely and take the plunge and upgrade my device, and then SiD posts here about his post-upgrade battery problems - reminding me why I haven't wanted to upgrade in the first place. That's how I'm thinking in terms of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or rather "if it ain't broke, don't go out of your way to break it."

A quick visit to the Zune support forums will demonstrate a veritable plethora of complicatons people have incurred from upgrading. For now I'm just biding my time and waiting to see what Microsoft will do next. People keep saying that all the complaints on the forum are going to effect rapid problem-solving, but I'm not so optimistic. The problem-solving may occur, but not necessarily "soon."

Top Bottom