• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ZSS against Defensive Players?

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
So I always used ZSS but I never really considered her my main until this week, I registered in a rather crowded tournament and was one fight away from advancing to the finals. This person used Villager and I lost to him. Which got me thinking about what made me lose. When I look back at it, all the people that I dominated in the tourney didn't seem to be defensive. At least not enough. So I was wondering, playing against defensive players with ZSS, what approach do I make?

David Viran

Smash Lord
Depends on the character. Villager PS sling shots and stay remotely close and he can't use lyod or you can just dash attack him. Honestly a lot of characters just straight can't camp you out because you can camp with mobility harder.

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
Yeah, possible the only characters that can camp ZSS would probably be Rosalina and maybe Sheik. I got camped pretty hard by a Sheik in tournament on Battlefield and I didn't really find a solution yet.
I'm sure there's SOMETHING I can do, but at that time, I could do nothing. As for the rest of the cast, ZSS is so fast and mobile, you can camp better with speed than they can by standing still.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Yeah, possible the only characters that can camp ZSS would probably be Rosalina and maybe Sheik. I got camped pretty hard by a Sheik in tournament on Battlefield and I didn't really find a solution yet.
I'm sure there's SOMETHING I can do, but at that time, I could do nothing. As for the rest of the cast, ZSS is so fast and mobile, you can camp better with speed than they can by standing still.
Yeah I heard @Shaya talking about sheik camping. He said that FD is a good stage against a campy sheik.

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
Yeah I heard @Shaya talking about sheik camping. He said that FD is a good stage against a campy sheik.
I thought that would have been the case, but the guy I played banned FD during our set, so I didn't know where else to take him. ;-;

David Viran

Smash Lord
I thought that would have been the case, but the guy I played banned FD during our set, so I didn't know where else to take him. ;-;
Probably should have went T&C because sheik doesn't benefit from the platforms that much.

Muffin!

Smash Apprentice
I think I've come to the conclusion that penetrating good defense is ZSS main weakness. Her grab is so slow and punishable that if they read you're approach, you will get punished. She doesn't have many good options for punishing rolls, and she's not particularly good at counter camping. I think the key to winning a defensive matchup is getting really good reads and being unpredictable, especially in your approach. You gotta learn to use her entire toolset creatively rather than falling into patterns. Of course, that's good advice for any matchup but it's particularly important for ZSS vs. defense.

Also jab. Frame 1 jab is great for punishing dropped shields.

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
Probably should have went T&C because sheik doesn't benefit from the platforms that much.
I'll remember that from now on lol.
I think I've come to the conclusion that penetrating good defense is ZSS main weakness. Her grab is so slow and punishable that if they read you're approach, you will get punished. She doesn't have many good options for punishing rolls, and she's not particularly good at counter camping. I think the key to winning a defensive matchup is getting really good reads and being unpredictable, especially in your approach. You gotta learn to use her entire toolset creatively rather than falling into patterns. Of course, that's good advice for any matchup but it's particularly important for ZSS vs. defense.

Also jab. Frame 1 jab is great for punishing dropped shields.
Is it really 1 frame?

fadgames

Smash Rookie
The main two people I play against are Tink and Villager mains. To say that I feel your pain on this is an understatement.

But more to the point, I usually just find that going in is worth way more of your time than letting them set up camp. When Tink dictates the neutral with bombs and boomerangs, I mix it up by approaching above or with the blaster (to cancel arrows/rangs). If Villager sets up a tree I'm in there with a dash. I think the most pressing matter is that you outspeed these characters in every aspect, so you should be pushing your strengths rather than conceding to theirs.

Easier said than done, obviously, but that's just my two cents.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
So I always used ZSS but I never really considered her my main until this week, I registered in a rather crowded tournament and was one fight away from advancing to the finals. This person used Villager and I lost to him. Which got me thinking about what made me lose. When I look back at it, all the people that I dominated in the tourney didn't seem to be defensive. At least not enough. So I was wondering, playing against defensive players with ZSS, what approach do I make?
Try using FF Nair to either jab or grab. Works a lot with falcon, so I'm assuming it'll work with Zamus

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Learn to use different mix-ups with ZSS...is your opponent shield camping? And are punishing your grab attempts? try mixing it up with a pivot grab to catch their spot dodges...or just pressure their shield from a distance with your projectiles and reach...sometimes jumping past them and hitting with a bair even if they still block you'll be harder to punish since you're now behind them...

Be unpredictable with ZSS, try to bait counters, reflectors, and projectiles and punish with a down B...learn to pivot dsmash to cover rolls or pivot ftilt and fsmash...do not try to grab to often unless you confirm hits with dsmash and paralyzer...also remember to up B or utilt out of shield to punish their attacks as well...

Top Bottom