• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zigzag Can Mega-Thread

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
I thought it would be a good idea to start a mega thread for the Zigzag Can since there hasn't been a complete concerted disscussion place for it. Bits and pieces of it have been disscussed in the Custom Moves Project and Metagame thread but they have not talked about details such as frame data and projectile priority.

The goal of this thread is to find frame data, projectile priority, damage output, setups, and any other important information related to the Zigzag Can. So far everyone has agreed that the move has high potential, but is greatly unexplored, I'm hoping we can change that.

Zigzag Can Info:

The Zigzag Can is the 3rd custom special for Duck Hunt's Neutral B. Formally named Zigzag Shot, its description text is: "Kick a can that moves back and forth as you shoot it. The shots knock foes into the air." Duck Hunt releases the Zigzag Can in an arc form that travels a bit farther than half the length of Final Destination. The apex of the arc is a little bit higher than Bowser's head.

The Zigzag Can shares many similarities with Duck Hunt's Default Can. They can be pinged (by pressing B) to affect their movement. This movement is independent to all other Duck Hunt actions. The buffer from exploding the Clay Pigeon that prevents the can from being moved temporarily applys to both versions of the Can. They both share the reverse direction reactions when being hit with moves like Bair and Sourspot Dash Attack. They also share the feature that they lock for a short time when being hit by an enemy move.

After that however is when Default Can and Zigzag Can begin to differ. Default Can travels forward in direction of release whereas Zigzag Can zizags upward for its movement. The ping hitbox from Default Can deals 1 damage and Zigzag Can's ping deals 6 damage. The Default Can has a maxium of 8 pings before explosion compared to Zigzag's 5 pings. After every ping from Default Can its gravity will increase and will fall faster. The corresponding gravity affect for Zigzag can is that its arc will shorten in length after every ping. Default Can's explosion deals 12 damage and Zigzag Can's explosion deals 6 damage. Zigzag Can has a shorter timer than Default Can. When put into the blinking state the Zigzag Can will explode almost immediately. When in the air, the Default Can will explode when in contact with an enemy, this property does not apply to Zigzag Can. When Default Can comes in contact with Duck Hunt after being reflected by an enemy attack, it will explode and hurt Duck Hunt. This property also does not apply to Zigzag Can.

The Zigzag can's 5 pings can auto combo togother into the explosion for 36 damage, however pulling the combo off consistently is difficult. More testing has to be done on this.

I will continue to edit this as more information becomes available. Expect this thread to get a redraft eventually. Please use the comments to discuss anything Zigzag Can related and try to stay on topic. If anyone wants to post images or videos in the comments, please try to mirror the Duck Hunt Video thread and try to only post links to prevent messiness.

Pyro-is-Magic

Smash Cadet
To start off the conversation, I'd like to begin with multi-hit moves in combination with the Zigzag Can. Multi-hit moves keep the enemy in place and allow Duck Hunt to combo easily with Zigzag Can. I orginally found some 40-50 damage setups by using Zigzag + Snag follwed up by Nair or Uair as described in this post:

http://smashboards.com/threads/duck-hunt-custom-zero-to-death-combo-zigzag-snag.404159/

But I found it much easier and safer to combo with Uair + Zigzag instead. Similar to the kill setup that Dunnobro talked about by using the zigzag to hit the enemy towards you to true combo into an Uair kill, I found that in this setup you can continue to mash B to inflict the Zigzag damage. I need to test this setup more but it seems to work on every character reliably past 5-10%. The input is difficult however.

:GCB:(initiate Can), :GCB:(Ping Can),:GCR:(Dash forward), :GCY: + :GCR: (short hop forward), :GCU: + :GCA:(initiate Uair) :GCB:(mash B immidiately after initiating Uair).

If the full combo connects, it deals 48 damage and can kill early on short roof levels. The initial commitment to the setup is only a can ping, so if it fails Duck Hunt is still safe.

Also I need help with finding frame data and hitboxes since I have no clue with how to test those. Also I can't test kill %s since I don't have the DLCs so if anyone could test that out it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom