• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zigsta's Critique Videos

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Ironically the same day Vermy and Nameless post their threads, I found out I actually had videos of me up on Youtube. XD

Both of these videos don't really show my Charizard and Ivysaur off that well, since all three matchups aren't a clear advantage for either of them, but as a whole these two videos are a pretty good Squirtle showing. I still need more tournament experience, so you'll see me run into attacks I really shouldn't run into. XD Most of the matches are pretty close, but I feel I really did well in crunch-time situations at this tournament. Any critiquing is much appreciated--I feel that I've improved a LOT just over this summer alone to the point that I can do well against ranked players, and I must say, this game is a lot more fun when you can hang with skilled players.

This first set is me against RickyB, a MK and Marth player. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcviiwqI2s4

This next set is against Bert, a Kirby player. He's in my crew, but we haven't played a single game against each other since winter break, and he completely changed his playstyle. Kirby's ftilt fuddles me so. XD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WEMa0LZuTE

Thanks in advance for your pointers/comments/critiques, everybody!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
DAYUM. Over 24 hours and nobody posted? XD

Excuse me while I go cry myself to sleep.

T-block

B2B TST
Sorry Zigsta...I actually did watch these a while ago.

I love watching your PT man...it's really entertaining. Your Squirtle's playstyle is so unique, and I'm jealous of how little tripping you do with all that pivoting >_< I think I'm gonna copy some of that and put it into my game. I wish I could have seen more Ivysaur against Kirby though. He does fairly well against Kirby, and your Ivysaur looks pretty good. I like how you use Charizard's f-air too, although tbh I think you overuse it a bit xP I've been trying to use it more too. I find n-air to be nice against Kirbys. All in all I don't really have much to say haha

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Sorry Zigsta...I actually did watch these a while ago.

I love watching your PT man...it's really entertaining. Your Squirtle's playstyle is so unique, and I'm jealous of how little tripping you do with all that pivoting >_< I think I'm gonna copy some of that and put it into my game. I wish I could have seen more Ivysaur against Kirby though. He does fairly well against Kirby, and your Ivysaur looks pretty good. I like how you use Charizard's f-air too, although tbh I think you overuse it a bit xP I've been trying to use it more too. I find n-air to be nice against Kirbys. All in all I don't really have much to say haha
Thanks for the input, t-block! I usually don't trip much with Squirtle, but that one game against Bert on Lylat got me pretty good. When I tripped into his Stone, I laughed and said, "Thank you, Sakurai." XD I was so worried I was gonna trip into his fsmash, haha.

I've been hearing that Ivysaur does pretty well against Kirby, too. I'm working on changing up my Ivysaur's playstyle a good bit, but it still needs some work. I figured I'd not risk it this tourney and just try to play safe with Ivysaur.

I watched these matches about five times over the past few days or so to see what kind of errors I made, and I was thinking I was relying on Charizard's fair a bit too much as well. Glad to hear another PT main is thinking along the same lines! And nair against Kirby, huh? I'll definitely try that out, t-block--thanks!

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i think that with all three pokemon, you need to make better use of your tilts. i just don't recall seeing much of any tilt. ivysaur was usually out there when you were looking to KO, and it seemed like you used a lot of fsmash because of it. remember that dtilt has really nice knockback at high percents that usually won't KO unless you are right next to the edge, but it should give you time to switch safely. that and a bthrow/uthrow are good switch moves too. auto canceled nair is a great setup for a grab (and fsmash or tilt too...).

charizard was dsmashing a lot, sometimes out of spot dodge, which isn't a very good tactic. who do you think you are, meta knight??? dsmash is good for punishing opponents that land near you and like to air dodge close to the ground to avoid punishment or something. and to punish a tech roll or something like that when you know the opponent will be on the ground. otherwise, dtilt, jab, rock smash, nair are better GTFO moves, which is what it seemed like dsmash's purpose was sometimes. and yeah, there were a few opportunities where a rock smash or something would have been better than fair but overall you use fair pretty well. don't bother using it as an anti-air tactic or anything against swords though, you will almost always lose that battle.

your squirtle taught me that the pivot sound can get annoying lol. you basically depend on your shellshifting to give you a spacing advantage and punish the opponent's mistakes. it's not bad but a little one dimensional. try using pivot jumps (jump immediately out of the pivot) to add another mindgame to your repertoire, it opens up the aerial side of things for you.

overall you have potential so just keep believing in your pokemon and the power of friendship.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Wait, I'm not...Meta Knight? Nooooo....

Haha, thanks for the advice, Steeler.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
Its hard to tell too much since I don't really think the players you were against were that good or at least weren't playing well in that matchup.

I think your squirtle's grab attempts should have been punished way more often then they were by Kirby. It seems he could have used bair/tilts/grabs more to deal with that. Not sure exactly what Kirby's options are there but he could have dealt with it better. A bit more air approach/feints would have been useful.

Ivy just seemed to Fsmash alot when the opponent is at high percentages. Which is usually what my Ivy does. Lol. I'm trying to be a bit more aggressive with nair/Bair and grabs to create switching oppurtunities so thats something you should consider too.

Charizard could use more rock smash for spacing. You also seem to enjoy using fly to hit opponents who are waiting for you on the edge which can be unsafe. Only do that when your opponent is asking for it. Charging a smash or just looking otherwise unprepared.

Good stuff overall though.

Top Bottom