• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zero Suit Samus Martial Arts Analysis

Octavium

''Fear doesn't stop death, it stops life.''
Your retina to your occipital lobe as you read.
Good day fellow ZSS mains, and hopefully Samus fans! We all know Samus is athletic and extremely skilled, she's proven herself over and over again in the smash series since brawl. (Not to mention those awesome flip jumps in 2D metroids) xD.

But, under our laws of physics, in our world, how would our childhood hero fare against some of our best human fighters? I obviously can't tell you for sure, but we can judge her technique for ourselves to find out.

Who knows, it could possibly inspire you to get in shape and learn some of her moves! :D

(I avoided analysing the grabs since I have no experience in grappling martial arts, nor do I plan of analysing her Specials since they aren't actually linked to martial arts at all.) (If you're also a fighter with a keen eye, don't hesitate on correcting me If I'm wrong on something, enjoy!)

---Idle Stance---
Observations:
-Knees are slightly bent and legs are spread for a tough foundation.
-She is lightly bouncing to keep her calf muscles warm, presumably for footwork
-Her hands aren't positioned to protect her upperbody/head but she has to hold the paralyser
Verdict: Practical

---Jab Combo---
Observations:
-She initially jabs with the side of her hand utilising her triceps which isn't just weak for power but she also has a chance of breaking her hand.
-Her second jab is a gun slap, I'm unsure if she's doing it well.
-Her third jab is an elbow strike similar to Capt. Falcon's F-smash except she goes lower. Looks slightly less efficient.
-She exposes the back of her front leg when doing her first jab, which is extremaly dangerous as a leg kick from the inside of the leg could dislocate her knee.
Verdict: Mostly Impractical

---Forward-tilt---
Observations:
-A nice roundhouse, she leans backwards, pivots her feet.
-She seems to have a bit of trouble braking her spin after the kick but that's probably the added difficulty of fighting in heels.

---Up-tilt---
Observations:
-She gets on her hands to perform a kick powerful enough to lift her opponent into a scissor kick with both her legs crushing the opponent on top of her.
-This is completely unfunctional, her foundation on her hands is seriously weak, and couldn't serve as a method of transfering enough power to do anything such as lift any human opponent.
-Even if she could gain the power from to ground to perform her kick, she would fall sideways while attempting to lift her opponent because of weak balance.
Verdict: Non-Functional

---Down-Tilt---
Observations:
-From a crounching position she clenches her fist on the ground to serve as her axis of rotation for her leg sweep.
-She uses her front leg to power her spin while whiping out her back-leg into the opponent's lower leg/shins to sweep them off their feets.
-She recovers from the spin rather nicely.
Verdict: Practical (I'm not knowledgable in leg sweeps but this one looks really clean)

---Forward-smash---
Observations:
-A really strong roundhouse to the ribs, she leans wayy back on this one.
-Right after the roundhouse she quickly lands her kicking foot on the ground in order to utilise the rest of her spining momentum into a spinning back kick.
-Looking very closely she seems to be seriously abusing her hip muscles in these kicks to maximize her power.
-She seems to have very weak balance during her innitial roundhouse.
Verdict: Practical(Seal of extra deadliness)

---Up-smash---
Huh? (Whip attack, can't judge)

---Down-smash---
Heh? (Paralyser ground shot, she seems to be bracing herself)

---Dash---
Observations:
-Although it is a rather pale sprint in comparision, its probably the best sprint you can achieve with high heels.

---Dash attack---
Observations:
-She does a quick 360during her sprint then converts her momentum into a flying knee.
-There is no reason for her to be doing that 360 spin, a bit of power is lost and it causes strain on her leg+hip joints.
Verdict: Mostly Practical (A flying knee http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knee_(strike)#Flying , KO with a flying knee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEJYo6sH5OQ )

---Forward-air---
Observations:
-She performs a jumping front leg hook kick into a midair roundhouse.
-This is actually possible if you can generate the appropriate spin when jumping.
Verdict: Practical but seriously difficult.

---Back-air---
Observations:
-She performs a Jumping spinning hook kick
-She keeps her other leg bend (probably to look cool), but that can roughen up her landing.
Verdict: Practical( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SaKycgcKfI )

---Up-Air---
Observations:
-She seems to be performing a backflip while useing her back leg to kick using her momentum.
-Turns around mid kick to do a pose before entering her endlag animation. (She can only turn via the use of her jetboots)
Verdict: Possible but not a practical option (Kind of an alternate version of Guile's flash kick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOPUU8YNRbY )

---Down-air---
Impractical (Like possibly all Dairs)

---Neutral Air---
Observation:
-She does full 360 spin while releasing her whip.
Verdict: Not practical with a real whip, but seems dangerous with an electric one.

---Back Roll---
Observations:
-She leaps backwards into a single handstand and back onto her two feet.
-Although there are much easier ways, this looks pretty effective in gainning distance.
Verdict: Practicle

---Forward Roll---
Observations:
-Animations look really weird, like if she's levitating.
-No sign of her utilizing her feet when moving. (They're just sliding on the ground)
Verdict: Imposible

Please feel free to comment what you think about the analysis. (Grammar errors are more than possible, my main language is not english.)

Although she does have some sluggish and questionable movements in her techniques, I'm sure she'd fare really well.

Last edited:

Sean de Lure

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4313-1004-2187
Jump: jumps twice her height from the ground, and then can do it again in mid air (not to mention then being able to flip jump, then up b)
Verdict: don't apply logic to smash bros, it doesnt work
:]

Octavium

Jump: jumps twice her height from the ground, and then can do it again in mid air (not to mention then being able to flip jump, then up b)
Verdict: don't apply logic to smash bros, it doesnt work
:]
''But, under our laws of physics, in our world, how would our childhood hero fare...''

Her heigh is 6'3'' and that is 3.5 grid blocks (when subtracting her heels), she jumps up to 11 blocks high (19.64 feet). It takes about 1 second to reach her fall speed from the peak of her jump. She takes like 1.75 seconds to fall those 19.64 feet. Since smash 4's gravity stops affecting you when you reach your fallspeed (Unlike real gravity who will always keep acelerating you untill the air resistance becomes too great to continue doing so.)

Her gravity is smash 4 should be around 11.23 Ft/sec^2, which is around 1/3 of our gravity on earth (32.17Ft/sec^2). Also the full roster can increase their gravity at will(fast fall) which makes even less sense. Which means they can probably reduce it when jumping.

If we had those physics, jumping twice our height would probably be easy peasy if you're in good shape.

Last edited:

NeoSeth

Smash Cadet
I thought this was fun. Don't really know what to add to it though haha.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Keep in mind that some animations are exaggerated like the the ending animation of ftilt looks like that so it matches the end lag.

Octavium

Keep in mind that some animations are exaggerated like the the ending animation of ftilt looks like that so it matches the end lag.
Yes, I understand there were alot of gameplay decisions for the good of the game, this isn't really to criticize the game though.

If you ask me they did an amazing job making the moves look so legit.

Wardray

Smash Rookie
BRUH, THIS THREAD! SERIOUSLY!?! FREAKING AWESOME!
I have my criticism though:

---Down-Tilt---
Observations:
-From a crounching position she clenches her fist on the ground to serve as her axis of rotation for her leg sweep.
-She uses her front leg to power her spin while whiping out her back-leg into the opponent's lower leg/shins to sweep them off their feets.
For Zamus's D-tilt, quenching her fist on the ground doesn't make a good axis of rotation at all, especially not from the weight distribution in her form, even though she drops on the palm of her hand after the initial push she gives with her front leg. Even though her form is more appropriate mid D-tilt. At the start of her leg sweep she also barely seems to give a push with her front leg at all, she uses the side of her high heels which would have horrible friction.

---Forward-air---
Observations:
-She performs a jumping front leg hook kick into a midair roundhouse.
-This is actually possible if you can generate the appropriate spin when jumping.
Verdict: Practical but seriously difficult.
Are you 100% sure this is practical?, I can understand that this is possible with an appropriate spin but her front leg hook would stop all of her spinning momentum and *probably* make her fall flat on her ass. The only application I can see with its use is by using the initial kick as a fake out, and then using the roundhouse as the really hurtful blow.

Haha WELP was a fun read anyways

Octavium

BRUH, THIS THREAD! SERIOUSLY!?! FREAKING AWESOME!
Glad you like it :p

For Zamus's D-tilt, quenching her fist on the ground doesn't make a good axis of rotation at all, especially not from the weight distribution in her form, even though she drops on the palm of her hand after the initial push she gives with her front leg. Even though her form is more appropriate mid D-tilt. At the start of her leg sweep she also barely seems to give a push with her front leg at all, she uses the side of her high heels which would have horrible friction.
True true, but you're kind of forgetting that the boost from her rocket boots can help her with the leg sweep, the knuckle clenching* is probably just to get in position from her crouching stance, despite not being the most efficient of leg-sweeps its definitely practical.

Are you 100% sure this is practical?, I can understand that this is possible with an appropriate spin but her front leg hook would stop all of her spinning momentum and *probably* make her fall flat on her ***. The only application I can see with its use is by using the initial kick as a fake out, and then using the roundhouse as the really hurtful blow.
There's a reason why the initial hit has very little knockback and the second hit can be a killmove. That probably represents the fact that the hook kick is weaker in hopes of not stopping her momentum, this is a game after all.

I do appreciate the feedback though.

Wardray

Smash Rookie
just a question because im curious, what's your experience in martial arts and what styles do you practice?

im a muay thai fighter with about 3 years of experience, my amateur rating is 2wins 1loss

i hurt my knee in my loss i was going to get leg kicked so I lifted my leg up to block with my shin, but i was late so I got hit in the knee, since then ive not ben to exited on going back, though I plan to eventually

Last edited:

Octavium

Sorry to hear about your knee, hopefully it heals well and gets you back into it.

As for your question:
3.5 Years of Kyokushin Karate (2nd Kyu/Brown Belt)
2 years of Muay Thai & Boxing (Practiced both at the same gym)
4 months of WTF Taekwondo

As for official match experience, I've been mostly sparring in the side events of tournaments with different dojo members in hopes of learning more, the only two times I've been in tournament brackets I didn't make it any farther than 2 wins, I was only 14 y/o though.

But I've been taking it much more seriously lately and now I actually want to become a professional kick-boxer, but my studies are in the way at the moment. I'll take part in some summer training camps (Muay Thai or kyokushin) and make my decisions after those experiences.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
This is a cool little analysis! I think it's neat that you have knowledge of martial arts and can see when things would and would not be practical.

On the bright side, Samus has an excuse for getting away with this stuff because she's an incredibly durable and very strong superhuman. lol Well, canonically at least. But I digress. Nice thread!

Octavium

This is a cool little analysis! I think it's neat that you have knowledge of martial arts and can see when things would and would not be practical.

On the bright side, Samus has an excuse for getting away with this stuff because she's an incredibly durable and very strong superhuman. lol Well, canonically at least. But I digress. Nice thread!
Glad you like it!,

Yeah Samus looks nothing like a 200lbs woman, even from her height, i'd assume she probably has more muscle and bone density than a normal human, which would make her much stronger and durable than she looks. But since there's no official word on this, its probably not so safe to assume. :skull:

(Still a bit annoyed of having another game where she's actually stronger without her power suit, its makes no sense but it looks like I have to deal with it. :p)

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Glad you like it!,

Yeah Samus looks nothing like a 200lbs woman, even from her height, i'd assume she probably has more muscle and bone density than a normal human, which would make her much stronger and durable than she looks. But since there's no official word on this, its probably not so safe to assume. :skull:

(Still a bit annoyed of having another game where she's actually stronger without her power suit, its makes no sense but it looks like I have to deal with it. :p)
Well, she did take on a whole group of Federation guardsmen singlehandedly, only parrying and disarming with serious speed and skill! This happened in the origin Manga, early in her bounty hunting career, and she did so out of the suit.

Basically she grew up on a planet with a stronger gravitational pull than Earth's, and was augmented by the Chozo as well. She can jump incredible heights or even fall from heights that would kill regular people and land like nothing happened. On top of that, she can smash robots that are basically immune to her earth-quake inducing Super Missiles, throw giant lava whales across large rooms, keep pace with an avalanche, and... I'm doing it again, aren't I?

I'm such a Metroid nerd. Sorry! XD But yeah, she's definitely stronger than she looks!

Top Bottom