• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's up-b

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterD1

Smash Rookie
Is it just me or is she vulnerable for too long on startup? Even when recovering to the edge from the full distance of her up-b, characters like falcon still have time to fly off the stage and hit me out of it. Takes a really long time to start up and shes vulnerable the whole time. I understand things might get ridiculous if you speed up the grounded version, because of the cancel, but I'm only asking for it to be safer to use offstage. I can't tell you how many Ganon fairs and knees I've eaten while trying to use this move.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Yes, it does have a long valnerable startup, but it's good in nearly every other subject. So it's a sort of balance. Besides the foe is taking their own risk going after you over the edge.

leelue

Smash Lord
I'd rather her have vulnerable startup than a move you can't reasonably hope to intercept, that travels in a billion directions, is invincible for 70% of the move, and has a hitbox on frame 1 when you come back. On a floaty character who can extend her recovery with two other specials.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I agree with the post above me. Zelda's UpB is already good enough.

The solution to your problem is really just to recover more carefully from a different angle. For Ganon's and Falcon's Fair, you would want to UpB from down below or diagonally to the ledge.

PrincessAzula

Smash Apprentice
Don't recover from an angle to where characters like Falcon can just run up and knee you. I always wait until I'm directly below the edge or the stage and recover straight up to either grab the ledge or just drift over to the stage after I teleport.

Be creative with your recovery angles and you will find it's much harder for your opponents to punish your recovery.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
I've seen some P:M Zelda players latch to the ledge using UpB to ledge guard. Is this just careful placement or does the move do this automatically?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Are you talking about the no poof ledge grab from a FW over the ledge? Yeah, it's a tech that allows you to safely steal the ledge from the air if you're above the edge.

You can do it by holding the direction you want, but when you disappear, let go of the stick and you'll "no poof" grab the ledge if you aimed at it. (You can thank Otheusrex for that though, he told me. Embarrass)

It takes a bit of practice to get it down, but it's really easy and fun once you get it down.

EDIT; To answer your question, yes. If aimed right it's automatic.

Mega Manny

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mannerz
I've got all my zelda tech down accept sweetspotting the ledge with up-b from the stage. Like when you're on stage and you up-b to the ledge an grab it

Last edited:

justanull

Smash Cadet
I've got all my zelda tech down accept sweetspotting the ledge with up-b from the stage. Like when you're on stage and you up-b to the ledge an grab it
Short hop, up-b, until you disappear hold diagonally towards the edge, after you disappear return the control stick to neutral or you'll SD. If you're on a platform, you can just up-b from there without jumping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom