• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's Din Fire

0bii

Smash Rookie
Hello,

I'm relatively new to Smashboards, but recently downloaded Project M and I was just wondering: is there any way to revert Zelda's bside (Din's Fire) back to the way it was in Brawl? That is, I don't like the way Project M changed Zelda's Din's fire move. I am a Zelda main, and there is a lot of debate over whether Din's Fire is more powerful in Project M versus brawl. Personally, I like the brawl version better. If you like Project M's tweak to the move then that's fine, but I'm not here to discuss that so please don't bring it up. I would like to know if there is any way to specifically alter a file (or files) somewhere so that it reverts back to the way it was. I am by no means a master at programming, tweaking, etc. but I do have enough skill to where I have successfully tweaked stage music, character costumes, and all of the like.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks (:

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Hello,

I'm relatively new to Smashboards, but recently downloaded Project M and I was just wondering: is there any way to revert Zelda's bside (Din's Fire) back to the way it was in Brawl? That is, I don't like the way Project M changed Zelda's Din's fire move. I am a Zelda main, and there is a lot of debate over whether Din's Fire is more powerful in Project M versus brawl. Personally, I like the brawl version better. If you like Project M's tweak to the move then that's fine, but I'm not here to discuss that so please don't bring it up. I would like to know if there is any way to specifically alter a file (or files) somewhere so that it reverts back to the way it was. I am by no means a master at programming, tweaking, etc. but I do have enough skill to where I have successfully tweaked stage music, character costumes, and all of the like.

Hi Obii welcome to the Zelda forums. :) I know a few people that might be able to help you with that. I'll see if I can get somebody to help you.

0bii

Smash Rookie
Hi Obii welcome to the Zelda forums. :) I know a few people that might be able to help you with that. I'll see if I can get somebody to help you.
Wow, that was fast! This is my first post on this website, I'm surprised at the quickness and the kindness that came with your reply. (:

TBH I expected a ****storm of people responding with things like: "But P:M's version of dins fire is better for competition and much better" or "You just need to learn to adapt, brawl's version of Dins Fire sucks!" XD

Thank you, I appreciate it :D

Last edited:

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that was fast! This is my first post on this website, I'm surprised at the quickness and the kindness that came with your reply. (:

TBH I expected a ****storm of people responding with things like: "But P:M's version of dins fire is better for competition and much better" or "You just need to learn to adapt, brawl's version of Dins Fire sucks!" XD

Thank you, I appreciate it :D
Nah. Everyone's entitled to their preferences. Plus if you aren't planning on playing in tourneys it's just entirely about having fun. You'd only really need to learn PM's version if you ever planned on competing.

It's always nice to see new people. I hope you find it really enjoyable here and if you need anything else please don't hesitate to ask.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I think her original Din is better minus the stupid useless state midair. But I also realize it is very unfair to have her original Din with PM's mechanics. Either the target aerial dodges and dies by falling/an easy followup or the target gets blown into the blast zone.

Try it out and get used to it a bit. Sure it kills one of her approaches and safe stage returning, but it sets up a way to be very annoying while being defensive. On the other hand it is useless if you fight someone aggressive or prefer to be aggressive yourself.

I hate it still, but being good at placing them makes her more fun. Zelda is all about tactical precision instead of relying on gimmicks or extremely safe combos. Every lightning stomp/kick and triple Din combo or evena Din explosion KO is super satisfying since they just can't happen by recklessly spamming. Even if I lose I'm all DAT PRINCESS STILL GOT A SUPER SEXY KO YEEE. Fun fact! The newer Din makes it easier to land any of her devastating aerials but it's still more difficult than most things.

Yammering about dins aside, welcome to the extremely unloved section of the boards!

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Yammering about dins aside, welcome to the extremely unloved section of the boards!
Haha, it probably only seems that way because a lot of the casual conversation occurs via skype. She has pretty much been fully explored (in her current form) among many of the Zelda mains so that's probably why you don't see too much posting right now. It's mostly come down to threads that are asking about MU help which many of us are happy to help with. I apologize if what I just wrote has absolutely nothing to do with what you were referring to. lol

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Zelda is easy to punish. Just be lazy and let her come to you because her approaches are very limited but the one she does have is slow but changeable. Basically just wavedash or run back and forth for easy fake outs. Also bait Nayru and you can smash her face in without much effort.

A more conservative and steadfast Zelda will be hard to coax and will also be more annoying/boring to face.

Just use a secondary with gimmicks, fast projectiles, or safe approaches.

Fun note! Zelda almost always hits people diagonally upwards with a few changes. Dsmash and Dair can toss you sideways or down, so watch it. So you can survive anything that's not a sweetspot or exploded din.

Last edited:

0bii

Smash Rookie
Wow the Zelda thread is pretty helpful. I know this may not be the right thread to ask, but I posted a video of my battle against a good Zelda main in the video archive, and was at a general loss of how to approach the matchup. I started off spacing and zoning to try to get a feel for tendencies, but ended up having to play that way the entire match. This was my training partner I was playing against, but his play style completely changed from what I am used to and threw me off guard. Was looking for advice for the best way to approach the matchup against him, so that I will be better prepared next time. I have never used popgun so much before in my life, but the punish game was too dangerous for reckless approaches. Needed to practice before approaching the matchup again.
Totally not relevant to my post

Ionsword

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ionsword
Hello,

Honestly I Like Zelda's Din's Fire because it can led up to combos, and can kill with a up tilt at high percentage.

Searing_Sorrow

Smash Journeyman
Imagine how nasty of an edgeguard the brawl din fire with its control would be in pm though. For fun nothing wrong with it at all, and it is kind of hilarious when your friends are trying to recover. Like keeping diddy's bananas the same in pm. so much hate in the group. But if he isnt going for competitive nothing wrong playing for fun, it is a video game.

D

Deleted member

Actually that already happened in the skype group. It's probably better that you missed it. personally i think it's better to eschew din's fire completely in neutral and to only use it to either cover her recovery (mine the edge and then teleport to it) or for edge guarding, and the edge guarding would make brawl din's MUCH better to the point of absurdity. this is a long and drawn-out debate though.

also @ WhiteLightnin WhiteLightnin is just a really swell person in general. welcome to the boards.

otheusrex

Smash Journeyman
Hey obli, I understand how to change the properties of Dins fire and have already tinkered with PM zelda a lot and made some brawl like dins. For most edits to a character's attacks you need 2 things:
  1. The character file. For Zelda this would be fitZelda.pac. You can find this an copy it from the SD card you're using to play project m. On your sd card go to project m>pf>fighter>zelda. You'll also see some files called fitZelda##.pac, those are just the recolor models, you just need the fitZelda.pac.
  2. PSA, which stands for Project Smash Attacks, I believe. This is the main program used for editing movesets. There are tutorials on youtube on how to edit movesets and there's also a very large thread on smashboards all about PSA

However, much of the way Dins Fire functions is controlled by Floating Point Variables and PSA will not give you access to editing them. You'll need to edit those in a Hex Editor program. I use HxD because it was recommended. I don't know if you know anything about Hex editing, but you'll need to use a Hexidecimal to Decimal converter (just find it on google), and a Floating Point converter (google). Finally, smash wiki has a pretty good encyclopedia of the character specific floating points that you'll need to change dins fire, among other things.

here's the link: http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/Article_Floating_Points

Finally, I've already done something like this (editing PM's dins fire to function more like it does in Brawl) and I'm debating just uploading and posting a link of that either here, or starting a new thread. I don't know if that would be appropriate or something people would be interested in

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Hey obli, I understand how to change the properties of Dins fire and have already tinkered with PM zelda a lot and made some brawl like dins. For most edits to a character's attacks you need 2 things:
  1. The character file. For Zelda this would be fitZelda.pac. You can find this an copy it from the SD card you're using to play project m. On your sd card go to project m>pf>fighter>zelda. You'll also see some files called fitZelda##.pac, those are just the recolor models, you just need the fitZelda.pac.
  2. PSA, which stands for Project Smash Attacks, I believe. This is the main program used for editing movesets. There are tutorials on youtube on how to edit movesets and there's also a very large thread on smashboards all about PSA

However, much of the way Dins Fire functions is controlled by Floating Point Variables and PSA will not give you access to editing them. You'll need to edit those in a Hex Editor program. I use HxD because it was recommended. I don't know if you know anything about Hex editing, but you'll need to use a Hexidecimal to Decimal converter (just find it on google), and a Floating Point converter (google). Finally, smash wiki has a pretty good encyclopedia of the character specific floating points that you'll need to change dins fire, among other things.

here's the link: http://opensa.dantarion.com/wiki/Article_Floating_Points

Finally, I've already done something like this (editing PM's dins fire to function more like it does in Brawl) and I'm debating just uploading and posting a link of that either here, or starting a new thread. I don't know if that would be appropriate or something people would be interested in
You're the best otheusrex!:)

Top Bottom