• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda's Advanced Techniques

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
This is really helpful. Looks like I need to practice ledge cancelling FW some more. It looks like it makes platform stages a lot more helpful for Zelda than I originally thought.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
This video is extremely helpful. I had been using love jump but not consistently and now I know exactly how to execute it every time! Great work making this. Hopefully this will help Zelda mains to discover even more useful ATs like the ones featured in this video. I know there are still a lot of unexplored momentum properties related to the Phantom special and I look forward to us figuring it all out.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
I didn't even know LJ was a thing in Sm4sh thank you based sis (& great video too!) :D

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
Those Love Jumps and Teleport Cancels were VERY nice! Love Jump actually looks useful now. The counter attack version could easily break the opponents' momentum and the retreat version can relieve us of pressure from fast characters.
I didn't know about some if those Teleport Cancel locations, so thanks a ton for that! This stuff might be enough to pull me away from Alpha Sapphire...

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Farore's Wind is sooooo good! Look at how that guy's using it. I mean really, not even Vergil from UMvC3 moves that smooth. Please tell me all this can be done on the 3DS version because I'm dying to learn how to teleport with such beauty.

Okay. Does this mean Zelda should be used on a stage with platforms since this benefits her for advanced moves? I mean they're pretty cool, but Zero Suit Samus would be a very dangerous opponent if you give her the platforms. Does Zelda benefit as much as she does when learning how to cancel the lag from Farore's Wind?

RF_zelda

Smash Rookie
I wonder how consistently it's possible to pull off those ledge cancels. It seems like you have to be pretty precise. And if you mess up once you SD if it's at the edge of the stage...

Hmm, I do want to try edge guarding with love jump though.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
I wonder how consistently it's possible to pull off those ledge cancels. It seems like you have to be pretty precise. And if you mess up once you SD if it's at the edge of the stage...

Hmm, I do want to try edge guarding with love jump though.
You can consistently pull off those ledge candles, provided you practice a ton on them :p

You can't really edgeguard with LJs because LJ requires you to be in hitstun to do it. Love Boost however... (but remember you will need to practice LB too because you may DF by mistake & that could potentially lose you a stock).

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Just saw this. This is very good for those who are new to Zelda. Love Jumping is a very necessary tool for the sluggish Zelda. However, doing it too much will let your opponent severely punish you since using Naryu's Love tends to make your positioning predictable. It's best used for platform traveling (Love Boosting) or low percent rebounds and mid percent retreats. It is a good way to get more out of her awful second jump and do it safely.

FW's cancel was a nice thing when I found out about it. It's just very impractical. It's true usage lies in buying you time to get space. Most people have the same reflex when they see Zelda disappear: shield, wait for her to reappear, scan the stage to see where she's at... She's on the ledge and instantly getting up? WTF I WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THIS. Bam. Space bought most of the time.

But if you use it to surprise someone, you might get them once. Then after that, they will bait and punish. Yeah. Not good. Using it to travel quickly around platforms is pretty cool too. All in all, it is a technique that is mostly something you do to look cool. Rarely will it be the deciding factor for if you win or not. Unless, of course, you're fighting ridiculous characters like Diddy or Sonic. So don't fret if you can't get it down. Zeldoo is hella flashy already without FW canceling.

Side tip: never linger on the ledge after using FW to teleport from the stage to the ledge. Doing so means you throw away all of the momentum you gained as Zelda, and that's already easy enough to do while using normal tactics. You may be able to regain the momentum if your opponent is not wary enough, but a good player will be wary. They'll be waiting. They'll be punishing. Zeldoo says NO THANK YOU. Besides, Zelda doesn't need to do pull ups. Dat gurl's fierce already without the need for srs muscles.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Excellent video, love the music! Maybe my Zelda won't be trash outside of doubles now xD
Zeldoo's only trash if your opponent is a passive/reactive fighter. Which means they wait for you to screw up and punish; while the rest of the time they are waiting, baiting, rolling, or running. So basically anyone who is anti-fighting in a fighting game is what Zelda has a hard time with.

And. You know. Those ridiculously fast high tier people with very little delay between moves. But whoooooooooo dooooooooooesn't have a problem against those guys?

Tyketto

Smash Cadet
Never knew about the Love Jump or Love Boost! I'll have to try those out.

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
tbh i find love jump kinda difficult to pull off. my controller is unofficial and worn so the stick sometimes stays in the place so instead of love jump i dins fire and die, so i prefer to not use it until i get soemthing better

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
tbh i find love jump kinda difficult to pull off. my controller is unofficial and worn so the stick sometimes stays in the place so instead of love jump i dins fire and die, so i prefer to not use it until i get soemthing better
I've actually found that the love jump isn't all that practical since you have to be tumbling in order to use it. The love boost on the other hand is a very useful momentum switch. I've actually taught my Zelda Amiibo to use it and she uses it to approach. Not really the best way to use it since it's super punishable by just holding shield but I'm proud nontheless. :awesome:

Wes762

Smash Cadet
NNID
wes762
Awesome and helpful! Now to try to attempt them on my own...

samster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamHdez
Real quick, I have a couple of videos - well, Vines - that sorta show a cool thing I've been doing to people lol.

This first one just shows how you can catch your opponent off guard by using FW right after you get killed. It's not an advanced technique but it certainly is a useful tool because you still have invincibility frames to work with since FW is so quick; you can see in the video that I still have those frames while running, so plenty of time to get out of harm's way. The only reason why I didn't immediately use FW once I was back on the screen was because Bowser was rolling like crazy as I was on the platform.

https://vine.co/v/OFdpzBKeEmV

The second video demonstrates how Zelda's down air can be sorta chained multiple times. Of course, it's techable and you can escape it but I think initial human reaction would be what the Bowser player did: try to attack, air dodge, or escape it by other means necessary. So I think for most people, you could chain it maybe twice? Who knows, I'm not an expert in this. Let it be known that this player wasn't bad at all. I think he/she just got desperate to escape the chain and after the fifth lightning kick, he finally escapes by using up-b. This was also possible because Zelda has basically zero lag once when you move side to side when you down air, therefore, you can immediately follow up with another down air.

https://vine.co/v/OFddiwuMvqe

Okay, last thing, I don't know how to make the videos just pop up without going to the website. So I just posted the link, sorry for the inconvenience. I'm pretty much noob when it come stop this lol if someone could tell me how to do that, that'd be awesome. Or if they just automatically show up, pls disregard this entire paragraph thx xoxo

And sorry for the quality lol ugh, long post sorry sorry sorry again omg

Edit: I didn't wanna make another thread and this seemed relevant to the original video. Which I totally acknowledge!

Last edited:

F.u.j.i.n Souls

Banned via Warnings
Love boosting was in Brawl and it was pretty useless, but maybe because of the new working aerial hitboxes it will be better in this game?
Cool to see love jumping back, but that still seems not so great.
Up smash thing is cool though.

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Love boosting was in Brawl and it was pretty useless, but maybe because of the new working aerial hitboxes it will be better in this game?
Cool to see love jumping back, but that still seems not so great.
Up smash thing is cool though.
Yeah, that Usmash thing could be done in Brawl as well.

Of course we all know that means this tech had some use before Usmash was made a slower OoS option that FW...

samster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SamHdez
this is neat but as you said its escaped easily but neat nonetheless. the bowser was trying to tech but he did it too late so he airdodged instead :/
Which I think people would normally do. I think it would catch them off guard, for the most part, and they'll react too slowly; essentially following up with another back-to-back.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
Farore's Wind and Nayru's Love Advance moves really are a buff for Zelda. And the Jump Cancel mixed with Fafore's Wind is a MUST if you ever wish to main her. Yet with that said, her advanced moves are few and not as good compared to other moves discovered. After watching all the advanced moves discovered on Sheik, Link, Diddy Kong, Megaman, etc, these characters obtain a huge buff. But that's how the Tier List awakens. Thanks to the glitches and advanced moves every character holds, they receive additional buffs standing away from the character design itself. The more moves discovered, the more buffs it'll get. Specially if you find locks and chains. These moves give Zelda a boost no doubt, but compared to Sheik's or Diddy Kong's chaingrab, she won't move much from the position she's now in.

If only you had more options off stage like Din's Fire or Phantom Slash and still be able to recover, boy would she be great. But this isn't enough.

Crudedude

Smash Cadet
wow i'll keep this video in mind. tried to find videos like this on youtube but most went over her moves and says she sucks :p. i'll practice some more on her jump cancel and phantom step was what i've heard people call her farore's cancel.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
I main Zelda and This seems EXTREMELY helpful to her metagame, but is this best done with a gamecube controller? because I only have the gamepad and its nothing much like the old GCC :)
BTW is sharing my NNID allowed?

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
I main Zelda and This seems EXTREMELY helpful to her metagame, but is this best done with a gamecube controller? because I only have the gamepad and its nothing much like the old GCC :)
BTW is sharing my NNID allowed?
The GCC is the most solid in my opinion for all AT's but you can use the gamepad. I have a friend that's getting really good at the game with the gamepad while playing as Shulk who has a lot of weird AT's. The reason I prefer the GCC for these kinds of AT's is that these are incredibly precise teleports and the notches in the GCC's control stick make it a lot easier for me to aim in those directions. Otherwise, I find that I'm just a little off and teleport too short or too far.

Also, there is an option under your profile settings to show your NNID. It's definitely allowed.

edit: The love boost and love jump are pretty easy to do with any controller imo.

Last edited:

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
This is great and all, but the FW ledge cancel is difficult for me to use effectively. It's probably because I'm using the 3DS. Any tips?

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
This is great and all, but the FW ledge cancel is difficult for me to use effectively. It's probably because I'm using the 3DS. Any tips?
honestly, you can only be good with FW cancel only when you're a really good player. and im not talking only good. i mean almost Nairo good.
mostly because Fw cancel on stage is easy right the distance is easy to guess but in air is when you would use it the most and thats **** difficult to do. sure you may learn the distance but zelda actually moves still moves in the air even when she's teleportin i mean even the part when shes invisible so yea

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
You really need to study the stage well & the distance of FW in order to do it consistently. Just pick any stage in training & just teleport to the ledge & it's all trial & error until you find the correct position to LC

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
That's exactly what I've been doing. I guess I got to keep going at it then.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
That's exactly what I've been doing. I guess I got to keep going at it then.
Pretty much yeah. It's something you really have to know before you put into practice, especially because of how precise you have to be with it (other characters like Palutena & Ganon have a lot more leeway for it & the latter doesn't go into helplessness if he messes up).

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
You mean like how Ganon can still recover even when whiffing a Side-B from the ledge? Except only in this case, Zelda would just SD. So...yeah, what you said.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
You mean like how Ganon can still recover even when whiffing a Side-B from the ledge? Except only in this case, Zelda would just SD. So...yeah, what you said.
Down B/Wiz Kick. If he overshoots the ledge with a grounded WK he'll just experience the ending lag offstage & he should be able to recover without too much difficulty & can still attack before recovering provided that he jumps first.

He really gets more out of it than Zelda with a lot less risk involved since he's aerials are really good, it's easy to do with him & he doesn't SD if he misses it. All Zelda has over Ganon is that the distance to LC is always consistent with Zelda, because if Ganon hits someone during WK he slows down & his distance is shortened, so he can undershoot at times.

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
Oh yeah, I do that with Ganon sometimes. Anyway, about Zelda, I'm getting the hang of the ledge cancel. It's much easier to do it grounded though.

We Are GX

Smash Rookie
That video was extremely helpful. Ive been looking for a main still as this game goes on and Zelda just feels fun and right.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
great video and guide but i`m in trouble to do the love jump, someone explain me how to do?

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
In order to do the lovejump, you have to be tumbling after the opponent hits you. As you're falling, input your second jump and Nayru's in VERY QUICK succession. The two inputs are basically input at the same time but the second jump should be an instant before Nayru's. Done right, you can also shift your momentum in a direction while inputting Nayru's (without accidentally doing din's which happens often) and you'll cover some decent horizontal and vertical distance. It's situational at best imo, not very useful.

We Are GX

Smash Rookie
In order to do the lovejump, you have to be tumbling after the opponent hits you. As you're falling, input your second jump and Nayru's in VERY QUICK succession. The two inputs are basically input at the same time but the second jump should be an instant before Nayru's. Done right, you can also shift your momentum in a direction while inputting Nayru's (without accidentally doing din's which happens often) and you'll cover some decent horizontal and vertical distance. It's situational at best imo, not very useful.
I guess i have something to practice on thursday when i get my group of friends together. Thanks.

Top Bottom