• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda vs. King Dedede match up

RawCloudZero

Smash Rookie
I have been having trouble playing against King Dedede. Any suggestions on how to play this matchup?

Miryafa

Smash Apprentice
In my experience, Lightning Kick is easier to land on DDD because of his large size. However, it also seems to me that DDD has very fast recovery from all his moves except hammer, so he should be treated like any other fast character. Hope that helps.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
First a confidence booster-- Zelda has a pretty good match-up against DeDeDe if you know what to look for. The first step is ALWAYS to remember that you're battling your opponent, not the character. The person will always have faults, habits, and exploits. You're looking for the ones in the person, not in the character. If you believe you can beat the person, then you'll do a lot better in the future

However, the character is a tool, and every tool has its strengths and weaknesses. DeDeDe's strengths are in his power. He can hit hard, and for a fat character, can hit pretty quickly-- more so than Bowser or Ganon by far. But he isn't fast. All of his hammer moves have lag, and a significant amount. Nayru's love is great for start up lag, if you can react fast enough, and shield drop is your ally. Guard against a big attack (rolling works sometimes too), drop your shield and you should have time for a short hop sweet spot lightning kick. Scare him away from the hammer, and you've got yourself an easier matchup.

Teledash is invaluable as well. Keep him guessing, and keep your motion up. His thrown allies (except Gordo of course) can all be neutralized in air by Nayru's pretty easily.

If you find yourself being juggled, don't panic, look for an opportunity to Teleport out of there. reset the neutral stage, and set up your din's again. It'll slow him, or possibly hit him.

Up smash is pretty good against DeDeDe, but it doesn't combo like fast fallers. Lightning Kick and Edge Guard is your best best for killing.

Keep trying Din's to edge-guard, specially tight on the ledge. You have to place it properly in the way of his recovery-- if anything it does slow him down, and give you more opportunity to rack up damage and prepare for the finishing blow.

This may seem like common sense. But it's practice that'll get it. Find your opponents habits-- try and keep yours mixed up, and use Zelda's mobility to her advantage.

Remember, you have Sheik as well.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
I recently played this matchup as Zelda with no experience (Almost a 4 stock on the D3) and the matchup is pretty easily when you figure out Dedede's weaknesses.

Dedede's major weaknesses being: His big body and lack of approach. These two things are what I love to abuse against opponents. My main advice for playing this matchup is to play lame. This is a matchup where you can run away and Din's Fire all day. If you managed to take D3's first stock, don't approach. Let him come to you or rather, make him go through the Din's Fire obstacle course.

Not to mention D3 is easy to combo and is easier to land decent to good Lightning Kicks on. Staying in shield against D3 is something you don't want to happen. D3 doesn't really have anything to stop Zelda from doing what she wants. Always have a Din's Fire in front of D3, that will make them hesitant about Dee/Doo/Gordo tossing to close the distance.

In short: Abuse that big body and lack of movement options D3 has. Lame play will carry you pretty far in this matchup.

Top Bottom