• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Zelda Social - Still the queen of Smash...and maybe queen of low tier for a decade, too. Shall we make it two?

Are you happy with the Link Between Worlds redesign?

• Yes, she's gorgeous and expressive.

Votes: 265 65.9%
  • No, Breath of the Wild had such potential.

Votes: 56 13.9%
  • No, Twilight Princess death stare Zelda was the best design.

Votes: 45 11.2%
  • I'm happy with any design, just as long as she's viable,

Votes: 36 9.0%

• Total voters

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
They freaking let Falco auto-cancel his Dair again in Ultimate. The damage was reduced and overall knockback looks weaker, but that's just dumb. And they also gave what looks like an execution for his D-throw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYO9GDUnLcI&feature=youtu.be&t=19. I thought this was supposed to be a family-friendly game. Not even Snake snapped people's necks for D-throw and his pummel. He puts them to sleep and chokes them. :p
Falco is completely done after what happened to him in 4.
*Instant Kill Mode has been engaged*

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Some late replies.
I want to mention that unless you really want Microsoft programs, or other propriety software, there exist open source software alternatives for pretty much any program you desire (free options with source code readily available to view).

Propriety Software | Open Source Alternative
Microsoft Office Suite | LibreOffice
Adobe Photoshop | Gimp
Adobe Illustrator | Inkscape
3dsMax | Blender
Microsoft Windows | Any Linux distro (I use Fedora OS on my laptop)

And there's a bunch more. I pretty much use open source alternatives for everything. They more than often do the exact same thing as the Propriety Software and sometimes even more.

Regarding Linux distros, if you are worried about games not running on Linux Valve has released and are working on a Wine Fork called Proton to enable the use of Windows games on Linux. That's of course without counting all the games that have also been released for Linux already. Proton launched around two months ago but I expect it to get better and more expansive as development continues.

Regarding the other stuff, I agree with healthcare, insurance, tutoring etc. There's a lot of resources especially tutoring. I found it incredibly surprising how a lot of people in my university did not know the free tutoring services the mathematics and physics department offered. In my time as an undergrad I only tutored around 4 students. The Society of Physics students (which I was a part of) advertised the tutoring a lot. Unfortunately, students either never found out or simply where scared to ask? That and other people where taking advantage removing our signs and posting ones where they charged for the service (which was against university policies).
Agreed. It's just a lot of proprietary software are considered industry standard depending on if you go into that field of work such as 3dsMax, Maya, Photoshop, and Pro Tools among others. So, they're usually expensive, but at the same time, if you look into them, some of them offer discounts or are free for a period of time like 3dsMax and Maya are free for four? years if you're a student. The thing is do people know about this and if they don't then, they should and why aren't they aware of being made aware of this? Those are the questions that should be answered for students and people in general.

As you noted, if you don't need to use a specific software, then there are free alternatives. Some of the might not be as good, but if you're only using it from time to time or not wanting to make money out of it, then paying for a license to use certain software isn't really worth it. That said, some people are very stuck in what they are familiar.

Going to advise you to NOT drink the liquid silver stuff...Trust me.
It's really fun in those parts if you do...but don't drink it.
The sleg or whatever it's called? I made it to I think halfway or close to the end of chapter 3 and there was a section with sleg in the middle and a massive horde fight. I didn't know what the pedestal thing was in the middle and I thought it was something you had to activate, but with all the enemies around, I was more preoccupied with them then figuring out what the thing in the middle was. After the fight ended, there was still a prompt to use the thing which by then I realized it was sleg, but nothing happened when I pressed the button. I figured that was because there wasn't a fight, so you couldn't drink it.

Anyway, they talked about how using it could help you certain fights, but that the thing itself is dangerous with people going mad and being addicted to it. The other thing is that I don't like feeling too powerful outside of certain situations in games. It just makes things boring. So, I was going to use it regardless.

Falco is completely done after what happened to him in 4.
*Instant Kill Mode has been engaged*
Of the footage that have been uploaded with him and where I'm still out of the loop as to why people have been able to play a build with most of the characters, it looks like they trying to go the route of Melee Falco for Ultimate Falco. That is to say, make him relatively mobile, have strong, fast, and versatile moves, but give him awful recovery to counteract his strengths. Fire Bird still looks like crap and part of feels like they actually reduced its travel distance. We'd need the datamined values to be sure, but Falco's run speed seems more like Smash 4 Mario's while his dash seems like Fox's or Little Mac's in Smash 4 meaning he has an even better dash than before where he had the third best dash in Smash 4 under Fox and Little Mac. Aerial mobility looks all right too. This is considering everyone else being faster and more mobile, but Ultimate Falco looks much more mobile than Smash 4 Falco which isn't saying much with how sluggish he was in that game and in Brawl.

Some of the stuff I've seen looks really dumb. Up Smash looks spammable. It looks like it has lower total frames, so its active frames probably aren't as high as in Smash 4, but the idea of a spammable anti-air with the possibility of leg invincibility is beyond stupid and on a character who does not appear to be below-average in ground mobility anymore. I'm getting vibes of Smash 4 Mario Up Smash here. Dair having low landing lag and possibly auto-canceling from a hop means Ultimate Falco has a deep, low hitting aerial for approaches and cross-ups in addition to Nair, Bair, and Uair. It does look strong, but it looks really useful. That is not also to mention his Blaster functions as a projectile now, so he gets to choose if he wants to in your face or away from you.

The new D-throw looks like it has a different launch angle or lower knockback than in Smash 4. It kind of resembles Marth's D-throw to me and I wouldn't be surprised if this has was a universal thing to reduce guaranteed follow-ups from throws. Doesn't stop U-throw from being a follow-up throw for Falco because why not.

Calling it now, Falco's going to be on the list of characters people want nerfed.

Anyway, for the Smash Direct yesterday, Piranha Plant is the best thing ever. It's such a stupid, but also amazingly interesting idea because it's so out there. It's easy to imagine what Celica, Dante, Dixie Kong, Heihachi, Jeanne, Nightmare, and more would be like, but Piranha Plant? It's a freaking Piranha Plant that's usually stationary in the Mario games and acts like a turret obstacle. And then they make the dumb thing playable and it has all sorts of moves from its home game and looks hilariously fun. I love its run animation and I don't think I would main this character, but I'd love to mess around with him.

For Incineroar and Ken, Incineroar looks dope. It has all the pro wrestling flair from the moves to the boastful showboating. Introducing Incineroar with Ken made me think of Zangief which was probably the intention. Ken is, well, Ken. I guess Reuben Langdon is voicing a character for Smash? I get why he's in from a gaming history standpoint and from a development perspective of we have almost everything for Ken from Ryu, so let's add Ken in, but at the same time, I would have preferred anyone else from Street Fighter, particularly Chun-Li, Guile, M. Bison, or Zangief over Ken, but whatever. Or anyone else from Capcom. Who knows, maybe one of the DLC characters will be another Street Fighter or Capcom character.

Finally, Zelda's English voice in the spirits trailer sounds familiar, but I can't think of who.

Rion

Smash Journeyman
I’m just happy we got to see Zelda in full cinematic HD. Girl is looking -good- in that haut couture cutscene aesthetic!

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
So, apparently, it's Gorl Week, because many Kweens, Gawdesses and Heaux Slayers have risen from their BANNED realm to join us. Here is a Heaux Slayer with a qtpi robot chap named Bob.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
So, apparently, it's Gorl Week, because many Kweens, Gawdesses and Heaux Slayers have risen from their BANNED realm to join us. Here is a Heaux Slayer with a qtpi robot chap named Bob.

Yeah but it's OW so they're immediately thrown to the r34 hounds, and also her first cinematic had her be suuuuuuper ****in lame and get mega wrecked by McCree (which will tie in becuase why the **** did Blizz think binding and rope would be the best way to reveal their new female character...)

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Yeah but it's OW so they're immediately thrown to the r34 hounds, and also her first cinematic had her be suuuuuuper ****in lame and get mega wrecked by McCree (which will tie in becuase why the **** did Blizz think binding and rope would be the best way to reveal their new female character...)
tbf every gorl's weakness is McCree's voice. :secretkpop:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
Your likely better off fully investing into his defense, because raising his speed uses so many skill slots. I would recommend using Sturdy Stance for A Skill and Close Defense/Quick Riposte for the Seal. Also, using Bonfire or Ignis would give him a boost in damage output, but Aether scores better and gives him more sustain from healing.
u don't know how I play this game, I play purely for fun and I hate using basic lame cookie cutter builds. I whaled for and gave him Reprisal Lance with the sole reason being "it's purple." Last year I spent at least $50 to get a summer Gaius, just to fodder his bow off to Clarisse because "she looked upset and I thought a popsicle would help cheer her up." I'm building a speedy Silas because he is a good boi and he deserves to have the speed to accomplish what he wants to in life.
"raising his speed uses so many skill slots" it's really only wasting the S slot. And for other seals I could use on him, the only other real options are Close Def (which Boey is currently married to) and Quick Riposte (which is already being juggled around between vanilla Ephraim and several Bold Fighter armors, I don't want to throw another unit into that). "Your likely better off fully investing into his defense " This set is already going to be able to hit 53 defense (currently 50 since he isn't +10 yet), and he has Atk Smoke which raises that to a pseudo 60 (57 currently), I'm pretty sure that's already more than enough defense, and anything beyond that is kinda a waste of stats that could go elsewhere.
Wow I went off, I really didn't mean to. But I do take my time coming up with builds, and once I'm set on using them then I'm using them.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
u don't know how I play this game, I play purely for fun and I hate using basic lame cookie cutter builds. I whaled for and gave him Reprisal Lance with the sole reason being "it's purple." Last year I spent at least $50 to get a summer Gaius, just to fodder his bow off to Clarisse because "she looked upset and I thought a popsicle would help cheer her up." I'm building a speedy Silas because he is a good boi and he deserves to have the speed to accomplish what he wants to in life.
"raising his speed uses so many skill slots" it's really only wasting the S slot. And for other seals I could use on him, the only other real options are Close Def (which Boey is currently married to) and Quick Riposte (which is already being juggled around between vanilla Ephraim and several Bold Fighter armors, I don't want to throw another unit into that). "Your likely better off fully investing into his defense " This set is already going to be able to hit 53 defense (currently 50 since he isn't +10 yet), and he has Atk Smoke which raises that to a pseudo 60 (57 currently), I'm pretty sure that's already more than enough defense, and anything beyond that is kinda a waste of stats that could go elsewhere.
Wow I went off, I really didn't mean to. But I do take my time coming up with builds, and once I'm set on using them then I'm using them.
Purple lance is da bess. I wanna give Subaki it if I ever get Sumia. I still want Silas too. So much to get from the blue summoning pool, yet none of them want to come home. Silas pls. I need u in my lyf.

Also who is this True Gawdess™? We need more of her. .

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Tagging you, Kyle B Kyle B , since you talked about Hunted: the Demon's Forge.

I beat it last night, well, this morning since I decided to binge the entire thing and finish it. The later half of the game felt better. Part of it was from understanding what I could and couldn't do in the game and the other part is that you get really powerful with the final upgrades by the end. That I think might have been an underlying message of you get better with practice and experience and cheating, using the sleg, cheats you out of the experience of seeing your own growth by your own hands. Still, it felt clunky at times and the last two boss fights weren't that great compared to the regular fights throughout the game. Also, screw those little critters that zerg rush you. I don't remember what they're called, but they're so annoying to fight. I really want to see a sequel or a similar game because as I said before, I felt like it had a lot of promise and that's the damning part about the game.

Also, is anyone a fan of Xena the Warrior Princess or has heard of or watched the series? One of the main characters, Seraphine, is voiced by Lucy Lawless, the actress for Xena herself. Pretty neat.

I checked out the recent footage of Wolf in Ultimate and his new Up Smash animation is amazing. The move itself looks like it can be a good anti-air with how Wolf starts off very low and rises up for the end of Up Smash. The only problem it has is that its second hit doesn't seem to have a lot of horizontal range. Part of it can be mitigated by how it hits, so Wolf being able to low profile and shoot upwards with a hitbox, while the other part can be further mitigated if it has leg invincibility. Seriously, look at this! I love how all the style and flair went to Falco and Wolf while Fox is essentially the generic, martial artist.

Moving onto FEH nonsense, the new weapons are neat. I might build a Bartre and I hope I can summon at least one Saber. Ideally, I'd like two so I can use one for Shield Pulse on Raven and as a pipe dream, I'd like twelve of him. Eleven for a +10 Saber and one for Shield Pulse. And from promoted Eirika's banner:
4* Abel: +Atk, -Res.

4* Cherche: +Atk, -Def.

3* Lukas: +Res, -Spd.

4* Saizo: +Spd, -HP.

4* Shanna: +Def, -Spd.

4* Cain: +Res, -Def.

3* Lilina: neutral.

4* Lon'qu: +Atk, -Spd.

4* Stahl: +Spd, -HP.

3* Titania: neutral.

4* Arthur: +HP, -Atk.

4* Catria: +Def, -HP.

3* Eliwood: +Def, -Res.

3* Selena: +Atk, -HP.

5* summer Tana: +HP, -Atk.

Also, a freebie +HP, -Atk, 3* Raven from the Smoke skills Banner.

Last edited:

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Fair enough. I also try to be creative with my builds, otherwise it gets a little boring. I mostly run theme teams and whatever units I think are the most fun. If you want to invest in his speed I don't have any problem with that, just thought I'd throw out some advice.

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Nice signature Chron

Anyway I just thought I’d share this cause it’s funny:BOTW

Also apparently you cannot pass through opponents in Ultimate anyway (As in, you can’t run through them)
Link

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Nice signature Chron

Anyway I just thought I’d share this cause it’s funny:BOTW

Also apparently you cannot pass through opponents in Ultimate anyway (As in, you can’t run through them)
Link
360 no scope shot 2pro4me

Anywhoozle, that's a win for Zeldon't because she's too slow to utilize pivots from behind. It's shaping up to be a BANnable year for Zeldoo.

:secretkpop:blessT:secretkpop: by Gawdess Sakurai haself

also hi gorl how are yew?

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
360 no scope shot 2pro4me

Anywhoozle, that's a win for Zeldon't because she's too slow to utilize pivots from behind. It's shaping up to be a BANnable year for Zeldoo.

:secretkpop:blessT:secretkpop: by Gawdess Sakurai haself

also hi gorl how are yew?
All jokes aside this is really shaping up to be Zelda’s chance to be semi-viable. It took 4 games, but we might be there now.

I’m good thx. I’m in a pretty good mood seeing the whole group from the old social, as well as a few new faces. I wonder if it will reach 4’000 pages this time due to SmUsh likely lasting longer than 4. Btw, who made that? (
)

How are yew?

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I was looking through the reddit thread of Ultimate's balance changes and um what
Screenshot_20181104-103147_Samsung Internet.jpg

WFT's up tilt is useful now??
I dun unduhstænd. How. WFT having a good up tilt just sounds wrong.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going fans of Yuri Undertones? :ultpiranha::ultzelda::ultpiranha:

Getting some work done today, mainly making some adjustments to some pieces of my University stuff. Reached the word count goal for Part 1, and making progress with Part 2. I'll be starting Part 3 soon, which will need to have 600 Words. Shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish due to the amount of research and information I got.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I was looking through the reddit thread of Ultimate's balance changes and um what
View attachment 175660
WFT's up tilt is useful now??
Yeah, but Sun Salutation is weaker, which was probably one of her easier things to kill with. But the mechanics in this game greatly favor WFT. Since previously, all characters with great off-stage stalling/edge guarding/meh aerials were practically useless. Now WFT can harass all night until the Saluting Sun rises. :^)

Still, I hope all of WFT's hitboxes are extended, even if it's just by a measly few centimeters. I know header was buffed, whichis essentially her Dsmash/Meteor Smash for off stage. With Dsmash just being a weird leg-stretch that does nothing of importance. :^)))

btw, go look at my house in MS2. It is super pretty and needs Architect Scores to validate its prettiness. Don't fall in the hole on the right side. Or else you will fall into the cursT well and will probably be BANned from life. rip

Curiosity- the real reason why Zelda (BotW) isn't in Smash.
OK WOW SUCH RACISM (PLANTISM???)!!! Just because that precious baby boi is a piranha plant doesn't mean all he does is bite. How dare this PROPAGANDA insinuate that Zelda is in danger because she is near that precious baby boi.

Besides, we all know the only beings that can hurt Zelda are Sakurai and the SmUsh developers. :secretkpop:

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Abadango's first impressions, pre-release "tier list" has him feeling Zelda is strong. Take that with what you will because pre-release "tier lists" are dumb in my opinion and especially with a cast of 70 characters where only a fraction were playable and for certain periods of time. Here's the Reddit thread about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9uao5e/abadangos_tier_list_as_of_now/.

It's ordered as "seems strong", "seems normal", "seems weak", and "don't know yet".

Also, apparently because of how Ken's Shoryuken works in Smash, it's weaker and less effective than Ryu's which is the opposite from Street Fighter where Ken's Shoryuken is usually stronger while Ryu's Hadouken is usually stronger. It looks like it has high knockback growth for the last hit, but they probably can't give it too high of a growth or it else they'd risk Ken being able to nick people with the end of his Shoryuken and people dying at low percents. I don't remember if it was stated, but if Ken's Hadouken has shorter travel and/or higher recovery than Ryu's like in Street Fighter, then Ken's going to end up as a faster-moving Ryu with some different normals, weak multi-hit versions of Shoryuken and Tatsumaki, and possibly a worse Hadouken.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So apparently I missed out the only chance for me to play SSBU's E3 Demo at Finland's GameExpo, and it's driving me absolutely nuts... I could have been able to test Zelda out on my own...

*angry maiden noises*

Ah well, still a month or so to go, I can probably take it if I don't think too hard on it.

Abadango's first impressions, pre-release "tier list" has him feeling Zelda is strong. Take that with what you will because pre-release "tier lists" are dumb in my opinion and especially with a cast of 70 characters where only a fraction were playable and for certain periods of time. Here's the Reddit thread about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9uao5e/abadangos_tier_list_as_of_now/.

It's ordered as "seems strong", "seems normal", "seems weak", and "don't know yet".
Glad to see Roy's up there too, I guess I can finally realize my personal power couple together~ :ultzelda::ultroy:

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
They changed Ultimate Falco's Bair pose to look even more identical to Brawl Wolf's Bair. Frame data-wise, it also might be closer to Brawl Wolf's Bair too. It needs to be confirmed, but people have said that its startup might be slower and the knockback doesn't look at strong as in Smash 4. Meanwhile, Ultimate Wolf has a slower on startup, frame 13 to Brawl's frame 6, Bair that looks like it has higher knockback compared to his Brawl Bair.

Also, I think Falco's new Up Smash animation might be Rugal Bernstein's Genocide Cutter instead of Charlie Nash's Somersault Shell. I tried checking out his Up Smash frame-by-frame, but all the footage either is low quality or it messes up and is too far away to see exactly what the hell he's doing. Whatever it is, it's probably illegal as it looks like he's defying the laws of gravity. It kind of looks like Genocide Cutter, but it also looks like he's doing it backwards or from Smash 4's back-facing frontflip position. It doesn't help that it looks really fast, so there isn't a lot of frames to see it clearly if the footage isn't good for whatever reason.

Lore drop: Charlie Nash starts using a version of Genocide Cutter for his heavy and EX Sonic Scythe in SFV and that's when he's brought back from the dead and dies a second, well, third time in the series. In other words, Ultimate is probably where Falco is going to be killed off. Hey, at least it makes room for cooler birds like Revali. :p

Last edited:

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
How's it going Pidgeot fans? :018:

Time to copy False Swipe Gaming yet again and do another FGC character! :yeahboi: Feel like doing one on Ragna now, so this'll be fun~.

Just a note; I'll only be covering Ragna in the recent version of each game.
So I'll be covering Ragna in BBCT, BBCSEX, BBCPEX, BBCF and BBTAG.
Ragna introduction into Calamity Trigger was a mixed bag.

He was seen in different lights in American Tournaments and Japanese Tournaments; but firstly, let's get to makes him stand out from the rest.
Each character in Blazblue has a mechanic which allows them to function completely differently from on another; Tager has his Magnetism, Litchi has her staff and Ragna has the ability to steal the opponents health to heal his own.

Ragna's Neutral game is actually quite impressive thanks to being able to play rushdown and have strong footsies, which allows him to content against Bang and Nu-13. However, Ragna does struggle a bit against them, Nu-13 can easily shut her opponents out with her Drive, forcing them to play the waiting game, and Bang is quite fast and can be sort of difficult to catch.

While there has been no official tier list for Ragna; in American tier lists, Ragna is often seen as a strong threat, doing lots of damage, a good Drive and footsies; allowing him to compete with a lot of the small cast, with him sitting either in Top Tier (S Tier) or High Tier (A Tier). But it's been theorized that in Japanese tier lists, Ragna's placed much lower; as far as Low Tier.
Ragna got a strong amount of buffs in Continnum Shift; making him even more of a threat to the ever expanding roster of the game.

Just like every character, he got several balance changes, new moves and more opponents to steal their health from. Infact, Ragna is sometimes seen as the best character in the game due to how incredible he has gotten.

Ragna's footsies has been amplified to eleven, making him a monster against the cast and allows him to make hitconfirms quite frequently and easily too. His 3C allows him to make emergency techs and okizemes, and puts tons of pressure on the opponent. He still does great damage and has good meter usage, he is one of the most beginner friendly characters in the game; he had one of the best Dragon Punches in the whole game, a great Fatal Counter and a solid Anti-Air. Allowing him to snuff out characters like Bang, Rachel and Hazama for example. With this new tool kit of Ragna's, he was able to win countless tournaments thanks to his incredible presence and strong footsies.

Though Ragna still has his weaknesses. For one, his pressure and mixup game are quite weak; meaning that he cannot really force his opponent into bad situations fairly often, he still struggles badly against zoners; such as Lambda-11 and doesn't have really strong midscreen combos, forcing him to Rapid Cancel at the cost of meter, just to do any kind of damage to the opponent.

However, despite all of this. Ragna is seen as one of the best characters in the game; strong results, amazing tech and combos that were given to him thanks to Mori, more ways to set-up into his okis and so on. Ragna sits at the top of the Tier List, with Taokaka just behind him.
Ragna dwindled a little bit when it came to Chronophantasma Extend; during the release of the original CP, it was actually Kokonoe who was the best character in the game, having strong pressure, amazing damage and just an overpowering character. But when Extend came out, this gave Ragna a slight fighting chance against the cast, but not as strong as he used to be. The balance changes and meta of the game weren't too kind to him as much, as his brother Jin reigned supreme along with Nu-13 and Valkenhayn; but Ragna still has his amazing tools which let him play to his strengths, his DP was still amazing, could still do his famous footsies and were still easily confirmable into, and so on.

Though his reward actually got worse this time; making him more difficult to consider using, hell he even got a huge nerf to his health pool; with it now being tied for third lowest in the game and he heavily relies on meter in order to get anything done. The introduction of Overdrive was also a mixed bag, with it; it allowed numerous characters to perform more damage and get enhanced versions of their Distortions and Ragna was able to make his command grab super actually work, which turned into an unblockable thanks to Overdrive.

Even though Ragna did dwindle, he still had some strong matchups against characters like Azrael, Rachel, Celica, Amane and Makoto just to name a few; however, he struggles against zoners again which Nu-13 excels at, forcing Ragna to play her game. With all that said and done, several players have put Ragna in High Tier this time, due to his defining presence in competitve; but just not what he used to be back in Continnum Shift. Infact, top players such as Kogatan and Zekuso both put Ragna in the Top 10, though with Zekuso's list; Ragna is seen as Upper Tier (B Tier).
Ragna struggled even more in Centralfiction, a former shell of what he used to be in games prior, and the balance patch for Centralfiction wasn't kind to him either.

New characters sprung out of the woodworks and posed bigger threats to the wanted criminal, newcomers such as Es, Nine and Hibiki were strong threats to what Ragna could do and completely snuffed out any chances of Ragna getting in and doing any kind of damage or work with his mechanics. But Ragna still has some strong tools for himself to try and make work, his footsies are still incredible and has strong damage output, allowing him to deal tons of damage and threaten the opponent, Overdrive gave Ragna a new toy to play with as well, Seed of Tartarus; however due to its mechanics, while it is invulnerable, it leaves Ragna unsafe on block and cannot be Rapid Canceled.

Ragna's weaknesses just continue from here. With how other characters got their fair share of buffs, Ragna's tools and mechanics slowly started to look like gimmicks; having hard matchups against Rachel, Nu-13, Lambda-11, Platinum, Nine and Hazama due to having issues with zoning, but now movement options. While there has been no official tier list, one of BBCF's Top Players Dora placed Ragna at Low Tier (C Tier), a huge farcry from what Ragna was able to do in previous titles.
With new mechanics and simplified gameplay, Ragna had a bit of trouble adapting to the newer system. With introduction of threats from other franchises such as Gordeau, Yu Narukami, Ruby Rose and even his brother Jin overshadowing him yet again; Ragna had a rough time contending with these characters, during the initial base game; Ragna was nowhere to be seen, often placed around Mid Tier to Low Tier due to how troublesome his many matchups have gotten, but during a balance patch for the game, Ragna did get a bunch of healthy buffs to help him contend with the meta game.

Many of his hitboxes got increased, some of his moves got safer, and his damage output is still incredible. And due to his combo structure and how vastly different the mechanics are, while he did struggle with them during the base release of the game; he still managed to make them work with the right assists from his partner, Cross Combos and was able to find incredibly easy methods to place them within neutral or during combos.

Though despite all of this, Ragna still had issues; his fantastic pressure was easily negated by Reject Guard, his assists were outclassed by numerous characters such as Gordeau's Grim Reaper and the epitome of White Noise herself, Ruby Rose was miles better then what Ragna could hope to become, many of his blockstrings are also dependent on how far he is from his opponent too. Making it kind of awkward for Ragna to do anything within many of his fights. His health stealing mechanic also got nerfed too, being far too weak compared to what he was able to steal back in older titles, compared to Carmine; Ragna's health stealing mechanic is far more pathetic then it has ever been.

But Ragna has still done solid in several tournaments, players like Mastrcheap, Nyan-Derthal and Unsafeonhit have done well with Ragna in numerous tournaments; such as CEOtaku, EVO and SEA Major, I'd include Wednesday Night Fights, but honestly; that's more of a Local, right? Ragna has finally seen himself in a comfortable spot of High Tier, while not seen as much as other characters in High Tier, he still has a place to finally stay; though some players have claimed that Ragna might actually be Mid Tier due to how overpowering the Top Tier threats are.

And we're done! So how GOOD was Ragna actually?

Honestly, it's hard to say. Ragna has been all over the place in the tier lists of Blazblue; he's been Top Tier, High Tier, Mid Tier and even Low Tier. He has just gone with the wind and seen where it has taken him. With having amazing tools to help him with numerous issues, to having those tools seem like gimmicks and niches; Ragna is in a case of limbo, similar to how Quagsire was in Pokemon.

But Ragna still has those strong tools to help him out when need be, though they'd have to be ones the player has a lot of knowledge to deal with. If it weren't for some of these balance changes in every title, Ragna may have been amazing in every game.

Again, it's fairly difficult to say how good Ragna actually was, but if I were to give my own opinion on it, I'd say he was okay.

That was a long one to type. :secretkpop:

Now back to University Work!

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Zero has also put Zelda in his "potentially high tier" in his prerelease tier list. Damn girls I don't know if i can wait a month.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Zero has also put Zelda in his "potentially high tier" in his prerelease tier list. Damn girls I don't know if i can wait a month.
Me when some heaux thinks Zelda will be anything but low tier:

Because in our heart of hearts, she will always be low tier.

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
They can buff us, give us usable options, combos, etc. But they can never take... OUR LOW TIERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I legit can't wait for another month. I feel like a desiccated corpse and the only thing that can revive me is getting my hands on that sweet new Zelda, gorls.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
New strategy for Smash Ultimate: continue to insist that Zelda is awful and convince the rest of the playerbase of it. We will then receive more buffs and then we'll take control of the meta years from now when no one expects it :secretkpop:

HotSummer

Smash Rookie
Hey eveyone !
I just wanted to say that I LOVE this thread. I’ve been a Zelda main since Melee, her recent buffs have excited me and I cannot wait to see her full potential in Ultimate !
(But Low Tier is like home now)

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Hey eveyone !
I just wanted to say that I LOVE this thread. I’ve been a Zelda main since Melee, her recent buffs have excited me and I cannot wait to see her full potential in Ultimate !
(But Low Tier is like home now)
Zelda means low tier. And low tier means nobody leaves the sisterhood. :secretkpop:

Peachkid

Smash Champion
NNID
Peachkid
3DS FC
0791-2008-8754
Once a gorl, always a gorl. :secretkpop:

I'll admit, I've mostly played Peach in every smash game, but I'm a closeted Zelda main in Melee. I'm just so glad that I can finally focus on her more in this game.

I'm a bit wary of the "tier list" coming from Zero and Aba, but if Zelda's spot holds soundly there... ho man, I'm so ready for this game. It really is a good sign that both these players put her in the same category, though.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think I might play Roy just for Ray Chase. I really like Ray Chase's performance as Roy and apparently from what people could hear of his Roy in the Spanish invitational, Chase tried to emulate Jun Fukuyama's Roy. He said he loved Roy in Melee and I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to honor Fukuyama's performance as he was Roy's only voice actor until Heroes: https://twitter.com/raychase/status/827189651173568512?lang=en.

So, so far, that's Falco as a main because I hate myself and Chrom, Ken, Palutena, Piranha Plant, Roy, and Wolf as characters I'd like to play more or have fun with. Ken's mainly there as substitute Dante since they share the same voice actor and Piranha Plant looks stupidly fun. Probably going to narrow it down to Falco and two secondaries where I really want Palutena as a secondary and I'm not feeling Wolf in Ultimate for some reason. Wolf looks cool, but something's not clicking and it might be because he wasn't playable in Smash 4, so it's harder to remember exactly what I really liked about him that he either still has or could still do in Ultimate from Brawl. Also, Pally's hair still looks like a giant piece of seaweed in motion in Ultimate. It just moves as one, massive, singular entity. :p

For FEH stuff, we're getting three alts banner as a new heroes banner and not a seasonal one. Technically it's four because the upcoming Tempest Trials also features an alt character.
Mikoto looks so pretty. Also, RIP F!Kana and F!Corrin.

Lastly, a freebie +Atk, -Res, 3* Clair showed up from the Drive Atk banner. I just need two more and she'll be +10. So, now I shall wait an eternity for that to happen.

EODM07

Smash Hero
NNID
EODM07
3DS FC
3823-9238-9070
What is happening Falco mains? :ultfalco:

Doing some work right now, and watching some DL videos; may try and give some fun decks a whirl.

Also, to my surprise; Ace Attorney Season 2... Is actually better then Season 1. Maybe because it doesn't really change THAT much, and some of the inconsistensies are fixed, and some changes were made to speed it up a bit; which I am fine with.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Burgundy Burgundy when a dragonboi M!Corrin alt is revealed in a 10/10 outfit:

I love how both Corrins are basically "deez OP when w/ M!Corrin's yatooooo" characters. +11 atk/spd and +6 def/res. A green/blue dragon that pairs nicely with Sword Corrin. jajaja pls ban.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
Burgundy Burgundy when a dragonboi M!Corrin alt is revealed in a 10/10 outfit:

I love how both Corrins are basically "deez OP when w/ M!Corrin's yatooooo" characters. +11 atk/spd and +6 def/res. A green/blue dragon that pairs nicely with Sword Corrin. jajaja pls ban.
Too bad it’s right after a legendary banner (: I have 10 orbs

Lorde

Let 'em talk
Switch FC
SW-6881-0865-5788
Today being November 7th means that we are exactly one month away from Ultimate's release!

Here are the characters I'm most interested in:
Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 3.29.14 PM.png

As of right now, I'm thinking of maining Pokemon Trainer and Bayonetta. Isabelle and Incineroar are the most interesting newcomers imo, and the rest are returning characters that I know I like.

I live in Diet Canada Maine
I meant to reply to this earlier, but I forgot. I'm also in Maine, and Diet Canada is definitely accurate, even though Canada is better.

Last edited:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
Man that Smash Ultimate song with lyrics is beauty beyond compare.
If Ultimate doesn’t get critically acclaimed I’ll never find out why.

I started Legend of Korra, which for the uninitiated is set after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and it’s super fun. I got the impression it would be pretty poor, but I’m unsure where those complaints are directed.
Maybe the cracks will show later?

Top Bottom