• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda in teams?

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Hello all. I don't actually play Zelda but I have a friend who does, and we want to expand our team comps for doubles. With that in mind, does Zelda work at all in teams? I can see some areas where Zelda could do quite well or quite poorly in teams. For instance setting a din's would probably be harder than ever but the reward would be much higher as well, assuming your teammate could deal with it. Speaking of teammates I have a Dedede, a Mario, and I'm planning on having a Jigglypuff. Would any of these characters work with Zelda, or should I pick up a new character for her (if Zelda even works in teams)?

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
Zelda is an excellent teams character, one of the best in the game! She works very well in teams because she can easily get and hold stage control. A great team mate is Mario because Mario can play very aggressive and Zelda can cover Mario's flanks while Mario goes ham. Dijn's fires are about the worst thing a Zelda can do in teams, they are leggy, provide little advantage, and you almost always get hit for placing them. Zelda should just stick to kicking most of the time

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Alrighty- thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to tell my friend to practice those thunder kicks.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Alrighty- thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to tell my friend to practice those thunder kicks.
Her teleports with the ability to cancel into a wavedash/land also allow her to quickly move in to help her teammate (you lol) out when you are getting edge guarded or in trouble. I recommend that for din's your partner places them so as to sandwich your opponent between the din's mine and you. Feel free to send him over here if he'd like to learn more about her in general and for effective team strategies.

Last edited:

Downdraft

Smash Ace
Zelda is an excellent teams character, one of the best in the game! She works very well in teams because she can easily get and hold stage control. A great team mate is Mario because Mario can play very aggressive and Zelda can cover Mario's flanks while Mario goes ham. Dijn's fires are about the worst thing a Zelda can do in teams, they are leggy, provide little advantage, and you almost always get hit for placing them. Zelda should just stick to kicking most of the time
Yeah, I agree that it depends on your partner's skill level and character choice; however, the opponents skill level, character choices, and the stage need to be considered too. Also, Zelda has a lot of kill moves, and Team Battles are tough to keep organized. Be wary of killing your partner unless it'd provide y'all an advantage. Regarding Din's Fire, you've got an interesting stance. You could use it to aid your partner's recovery, but it's tough.
Her teleports with the ability to cancel into a wavedash/land also allow her to quickly move in to help her teammate (you lol) out when you are getting edge guarded or in trouble. I recommend that for din's your partner places them so as to sandwich your opponent between the din's mine and you. Feel free to send him over here if he'd like to learn more about her in general and for effective team strategies.
I will keep your suggestions for Din's Fire Placement in mind.

OP, do you keep Friendly Fire on?

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
Ah, cool stuff, thanks everyone!
@ WhiteLightnin WhiteLightnin - I had never thought about how easily mobile she could be in teams due to the up-b, but I can easily see it now and it seems invaluable. My friend certainly loves his dins so he'll enjoy that there is a way to use them without burning me up. I've already nudged him over here so hopefully he'll show up eventually- thanks for being so open!
@ Downdraft Downdraft - We always play with friendly fire, both to prepare for tournaments and because we find it more fun. We kill each other sometimes but it's happening less, especially when he plays Zelda.

Also I figure that if I go ham with Mario it should sometimes keep the enemy team away from Zelda long enough for her to throw a dins. Judging by some m2k+Hungrybox team battles I saw, Mario can be an impenetrable fortress at times.

Also I'm new to smashboards and don't know if something weird happened when I used those @ symbols. Sorry if I'm spamming your alert boxes somehow with it.

Last edited:

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I switch between sheik and zelda, and usually partner with a metaknight player. If your team needs help gaining stage control in a match zelda is really effective, and if you need to work more on edgeguarding in a match sheik is good for that. Its really helpful in teams to know both characters.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Ah, cool stuff, thanks everyone!
@ WhiteLightnin WhiteLightnin - I had never thought about how easily mobile she could be in teams due to the up-b, but I can easily see it now and it seems invaluable. My friend certainly loves his dins so he'll enjoy that there is a way to use them without burning me up. I've already nudged him over here so hopefully he'll show up eventually- thanks for being so open!
@ Downdraft Downdraft - We always play with friendly fire, both to prepare for tournaments and because we find it more fun. We kill each other sometimes but it's happening less, especially when he plays Zelda.

Also I figure that if I go ham with Mario it should sometimes keep the enemy team away from Zelda long enough for her to throw a dins. Judging by some m2k+Hungrybox team battles I saw, Mario can be an impenetrable fortress at times.

Also I'm new to smashboards and don't know if something weird happened when I used those @ symbols. Sorry if I'm spamming your alert boxes somehow with it.
Oh no worries with the symbols at all. It's actually nice because it lets whoever is tagged that there is a post that pertains to them. I hope you guys do well at your next tourney. Good luck!:)

Mattyrrice

Smash Rookie
well i was finally nudged hard enough to look at the thread. Thanks everyone for the advice ill be practicing my up b movement and thunder kicks to get my stage presence.

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
well i was finally nudged hard enough to look at the thread. Thanks everyone for the advice ill be practicing my up b movement and thunder kicks to get my stage presence.
Hi Mattyrrice. You must be OnFullTilt's friend that he mentioned. So do you main Zelda also or just mostly use her for teams? Either way there is a lot of information on here (within the Zelda forums) that you might find useful.

Mattyrrice

Smash Rookie
I actually recently picked up zelda because onfulltilt was having trouble guessing what she would do next. I also really like to win. Ive just started looking at some of the things you can do with zelda. Any suggestions on things to look up would be much appreciated.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Zelda is super fun to play in teams. I play with a Ganon main (shoutouts BXR) and we've finally started synergizing. Some tips for teams attempting to use Zelda:

A) Know your partner's recovery. For the teammate, this means knowing that Zelda will want to sweet spot the ledge with her teleport. Try not to be on the edge when she goes invisible, even if she's on stage. Farore's Wind to edge hog is something your Zelda pal will probably be doing so be careful about wave landing to ledge. For Zelda, know exactly when and where your teammate will want to recover. Your Din's aren't only good at controlling space, they can also restore your partner's recovery. If you have a moment and see your partner far off stage, try and set up a Din for them to recover into. It's easy for my Ganon partner because his recovery is a nice arc. You can also use your Din's to hamper your opponent's edge guard. Are they dropping off ledge/tethering to restore invisibility? Slap a Din right on the ledge to throw off their edge hog. Are they preparing a smash attack or tilt to gimp? Put a Din right in front of them so they clank with your Din. Nayru's Love by the edge covers a lot of space while also providing you slight invisibility. Even if you get punished for it you can give your partner even more time to recover.

B) Practice edge guarding together. Speaking of edge play, get used to edge guarding together. FW to edge hog is real, and it can turn a lost cause edge guard into a terrifying situation. Be wary that this will leave your partner vulnerable as you ditch your opponent to aid in edge guarding. How does your teammate edge guard? How comfortable are they on the edge? Do they use projectiles? These are questions to be asking your partner. Be careful when implementing Din's into edge play. If you don't practice placements with your partner they won't know what you're going to do. Din's require a lot of control and you need to be consistent so your teammate knows where to put hit boxes.

C) Practice Farore's Winding near your teammate. You should both know how far your teleport reaches so you can space better for each other. Communicate with your partner if they throw out too many down smashes or projectiles that limit you assisting them. Be smart with teleporting onto platforms above your teammate. It requires a lot of coordination. Try not to hit your teammate with the starting hit box, especially if you're ledge stalling.

D) Use Din's sparingly. If you don't practice with your partner you'll probably hit them. Even if you are perfect there's a chance they'll run into them by mistake. Like I said before, if you use them for edge guards make sure it's been rehearsed. Similarly, if you see your partner popping off a combo, be careful if you decide to add on damage with a Din. It can screw up your partner's rhythm and potentially free the opponent from the pressure. On the flip side, Din's can lead to some guaranteed DI traps and punishes on tech rolls. They can also pressure your opponents shield as your teammate approaches from the other side.

E) Know each other's grab and punish game. This has been the most helpful mindset for my Ganon friend and myself. He knows when I'm going to double bair and I know when he's fishing for a force choke or a wizard kick. Look out for each others grabs and remember their animations. Zelda pummel d-throw into warlock punch is so disgusting. Do you or your partner have grabs that you can't normally get follow ups from? Give those combo opportunities to your teammate. Our forward throw is pretty fast and can put opponents in prime positions for aerial characters. Since more is going on you get more chances to show off your stilettos and Nayru jewelry. You'll get a lot more punishes if you can split your attention. FW to the top platform (of Battlefield, Warioware, Skyloft, ect.) becomes a much more viable option when you know your opponent is getting sent there by someone else.

F) Be patient. You will get punished harder if you're not paying attention. You will get Fox up smashed a lot. Take a deep breath and stay level headed. You can control a lot of space, aid recoveries with almost all of your special moves, cripple opponents with edge guarding prowess, and get out of combos well. Don't get hit and know when to punish. You can make or break this team.

Miryafa

Smash Apprentice
In the specific instance where your partner can absorb Din's fire (Ness, Lucas), they heal 8% per flame - maybe not enough to be useful during a match, but if both opponents are dead at the same time and you drop 3 of them in one place, that's 24%. Note It's untested and something I've been wanting to try.

Top Bottom