• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

zelda help now

Nocher

Smash Rookie
ok, im kinda pissed off at zelda, she seems overpowered and unstoppable. the only way i can get a kill is to wait for a mistake. please give me some advice?

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
the only way i can get a kill is to wait for a mistake.
Sadly, that's how a lot of matches go in brawl. :(

Best advice i can give is, do not get caught in an up smash. It's a very powerful move. Fast start up, HUGE hitbox, lots of damage, multihit, tons of priority, disjointed hitbox, and very little lag afterwards. It can hit people approaching from behind, above, and in front of her. Spacing is very important in this match. I find dtilts are very useful because it has quite a bit of range, and it knocks her back away from you, you could probably follow up with an egg toss. In the air, I would say the safest way to approach is from below, her fair and bair are fairly quick, and will out prioritize your bair and fair (not to mention they do a ton of damage and knock back) if it's sweetspotted. Her uair is very powerful too, again with another disjointed hitbox. Her dair can spike, but heavy armor frames can counter it at low-mid percentages. You can nair through din's fire, and you won't get hit.

I think the best way to play this match is to play very aggressively, but you also have to make sure you're not reckless. Tilts are definitely going to be your friend, just to get off quick succession of hits. Only smash if you're sure you're going to get the hit, because if you miss she will definitely punish you. This is fairly tough match for Yoshi imo.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
I think the best way to play this match is to play very aggressively, but you also have to make sure you're not reckless. Tilts are definitely going to be your friend, just to get off quick succession of hits. Only smash if you're sure you're going to get the hit, because if you miss she will definitely punish you. This is fairly tough match for Yoshi imo.
I'm not sure "fairly tough" is giving Zelda enough credit, I'm more than willing to say she's a complete counter-character to Yoshi as Ice Climbers were to Sheik in Melee. All of her aerials have priority over Yoshi's/outrange them outright, especially her Up-air, which can kill at ridiculously low percents. You can't do anything about it because Yoshi's body is a hitbox and her flame burst completely ***** any sort of downward approach because it's disjointed... and the hitbox is about as big as Yoshi himself. Her upsmash takes COMPLETE priority over Yoshi nomatter what attack he's using so it's pretty much the same case in terms of a downward approach- you can only hope to airdodge and put space between yourselves... but then you have to worry about Din's Fire. If it's initiated before you get an egg thrown, you're going to get burnt. Additionally, Zelda can choose to mix things up by using Nayru's love to reflect your eggs, which pretty much stops your projectile game cold.

In regards to the ground game, lemme say first that it's almost impossible to abuse the spot-dodge spammers because Yoshi's throw is super-hard to time (if you mess it up you're GOING to eat a smash) and most of her moves come out very quickly, allowing her to easily punish Yoshi. Not to mention she has more range than everything but Yoshi's tilts (as already mentioned), and more knockback. Additionally, because Yoshi's game is focused on being aggressive, you're incredibly open to anyone that spot-dodges and can spam a quick smash, which is pretty much everything she has. In my experience, Zelda is definitely Yoshi's toughest matchup. I'd recommend using a secondary character such as a PK user that can deal with her.

Yoshi King

Smash Cadet
NNID
YoshiKing8
Ness, Lucas, and Game & Watch are all excellent counter-characters to Zelda. I suggest that if you know you're going to be facing a Zelda player, that you use one of them, otherwise switch to one of them after the first game.

Remember, Brawl is more about individual matchups than it is how good each character is.

Top Bottom