• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda: Extreme Makeover?

Aptera

Smash Cadet
Sorry if you're annoyed by this thread or whatever, but,

In Melee, I didn't think of Zelda as a strong character, and at first i didn't think she would be in brawl.

But i look over her moveset, and realized her moves are very strong, and forward B is a awesomely good projectile as zelda.

Was i over looking her in melee, or did she become a strong character in brawl?

Lightningmage

Smash Journeyman
She was good in Melee. No, she couldn't keep up with the fast characters like Fox and Marth, but besides that, she was one of the better characters. Just no one ever wanted to put any time into her except for a few and saw what she could do.

Brawl came along, and she got a lot better. She is much better in Brawl than Melee, though I do miss a few things of her's from Brawl (such as Din's Fire Spiking and the old Nayru's Love)

Iris

Smash Ace
It's mostly just from the transition. Forward B was a terrible projectile in Melee due to it's speed, lag, and minimal knockback. Her moves still did fair damage, but for the most part were more escapable than they are in Brawl. Brawl made her attacks more damaging and high in knockback relative to everyone else.

She still retains some of the weaknesses from Melee though, such as being completely helpless in the air from below, being light, being slow on the ground, and needing to sweetspot her stronger attacks.

Aptera

Smash Cadet
awesome. my girlfriend plays as her (she likes sheiks chain), and i told her that zelda wasn't that great, but now she can stand up the other brawlers with a little training.

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
She was a piece of crap in Melee. Ok maybe i'm overexaggerating but yes, against a skilled player with any other character on the roster, she was incredibly hard to play. In Brawl she seems to be more of a diamond in the rough kind of character she seems really good at first glance, then you play her for a while and you're like eh.. she's ok. And then once you polish her up and refine your techniques she's a beast.

S2

Smash Lord
Let's not lie. She was awful in Melee. I loved playing as her, but even I realized that she was just naturally a bad character.

Like its been mentioned, her weaknesses in Brawl are basically the same as though in Melee because her moveset is virtually the same. But so many of her moves got buffs that she's got many more advantages now.

One key difference is due to Din's. Zelda always has had bad approaches, but now Zelda can sit there and play defensive because of Din's buff.

She's not godly in this game, but at least she's more balanced. Its too early to call tiers, but she's not going to be at the bottom in this game.

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
Don't worry, everyone over looked Zelda in Melee. Except Zelda mains of course.
I loved her in Melee, but I love her Brawl counterpart even more. I love her design, her buffs, etc.

Zelda still has a little of weakness under the surface.
She's a lot better, but she will never be godly. People seem to think of her as the best character in the game because of "DIN'Z FIYAHHH!!!" Though e.e

I've also begun to notice that Sheik Mainers in Melee have suddenly abandoned her and switched to Zelda =S

shadowzero

Smash Cadet
I'll admit, I hated Zelda in Melee. I would always use Sheik and just use Zelda for recovery when I was too far off stage.

She was just too easily comboed, light, and susceptible to attacks from the ground while in the air (which is still a problem in Brawl, but not as much so).

Overall I loved the buffs she received (Din's Fire FTW! ^.^), and even though she might not be the best in Brawl...I'm going to play the underdog this time XD

Zelda_Sheik

Smash Apprentice
Melee Zelda:
- Awful design.
- Very Slow.
- Din's fire with lag, small knockback, and not powerful.
- Farore's wind didn't make any damage or knockback while reappering.

Brawl Zelda:
- Powerful
- Not as slow as before.
- Incredible Design
- Amazing Din's fire.
- Farore's wind makes damage and knockbacks while reappering.
- Her attacks are not as easily escapable with DI.

Smash Ace
all of Zelda's up moves (except up+B, which I hate for various reasons) are really powerful.
Zelda took the knockback of Fox's upair, her upsmash is harsh, and her uptilt is no different.
=2007=

Luthien

Smash Ace
^ Um... FW owns in Brawl now. The reappearing hit is actually quite strong. It's stronger than her jab at any rate (which also has some pretty imressive knockback for a jab). If you connect with it, you certainly won't get punished.

Top Bottom