• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom

Oracle Link

Smash Master

So a zelda game were you play as zelda ehh?
Honestly wasnt something i wanted and im still not sure However!
They handled Link well, Gave me my favourite artstyle Again, I can have an army of My BOIS (octorork), MECHA OCTOROK!
Ah yeah and a playstyle dfor zelda that actually justifies her being playable Cool!
Im sure the game will be fun ande actually i think:
We MIGHT get a side mode where Link (Or Zelda) gets to run through player Created Dungeons/ World! Zelda Maker Real?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Heres a post ported from another section:
SO yeah Zelda Echoes of the Kingdom!
I fell Very Conflicted My Boi got sent to the shadow realm!
But he got to save zelda, My favourite Artstyle Returns, I can Use Octoroks, MECHA OCTO, Classic locals and races get brought back something i always wanted, Also zelda actually plays uniquely and the playstle is fun!
BUT in this day and age this could spell bad things for the future BUT this game is fun BUT could that mean less Link games?
BUT
I weirdly enough think that my boi still has a role to play in this Game!
For one im sure he shows up in the final battle just like zelda usually does
Number 2: I think this game has a level editor mode where you can play as Link!

All in all i thought i never got to see my favourite artstyle Again and now we got: A remake, An Amazing Costume and a new game so im sure this style is now on a level with the toon Style which makes me happy because this artstyle (and toon) were my zelda Childhood

SS2000

Smash Apprentice
The second Aonuma mentioned "breaking conventions", my excitement for this game cut in half. He must not realize that one of the main reasons many have been begging for a new 2D Zelda is because they really miss the old conventions (some of the things that originally made a Zelda game a Zelda game). I'm fine with trying out new things, but it has been sooooooooo long since we last got a brand new traditional Zelda (A Link Between Worlds over a decade ago), that it feels like a certain Zelda itch I've had (as a life long player that started it all with Zelda 1 on the NES way back in the day) for a very long time may never again be scratched...
Maybe if we're lucky, the only broken convention will be not fighting mainly by swinging a sword (just saying that makes me miss it already), and the "echoes" can still serve as essentailly the equivalent of items, with some hopefully being found in dungeons complete with bosses to use them against. One can only hope...
And it bugs me a bit that they decided to use the LA remake style again for this game. Not very fond of the black dots for eyes and figure that makes the characters look more like plastic toys from a quarter machine; it kind of worked for the LA remake with it being a cartoony adventure in a dream, but for a game meant to take place in Hyrule, the ALBW aesthetic would be infinitely better. Especially with how closely looking at the map shows it is clearly ALttP Hyrule yet again!

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It makes sense it used the LA Remake style. It's the new design over the Overhead games. It wasn't just a remake thing. It's quite specifically the latest design. Not unlike how the Toon design inspired by the newer Overhead games at the time. It fits how this happened. Or for another example, SS is also a cartoony style. BOTW and TOTK share a very similar aesthetic. (Incidentally, if we had Oracle remakes, they'd be using that style anyway. It makes way too much sense, as they were built off of the LA engine from the start. So it continuing is good~).

In fact, the last Toon style game was ALBW too.

Besides, Zelda isn't Link. She sometimes has similarities to him, but these are unique situations; BOTW/TOTK she's not playable anyway, and she's an extremely different person. The CD-i games were meant to emulate the first two Zelda games playstyle-wise, as no other styles existed. But still did their own thing. In fact, it still had OHKO items(against some Bosses), which was not normal even then in the same way, as they are all Trade Items compared to, say, the Bow oneshotting the weaker Gohma. The last one is that she was like him in the TV Show(also where the CD-i games took inspiration from).

We also don't know where this is meant to be in the timeline. Considering everything, it can't be after TOTK, but could be in other spots. Maybe it's before ALBW. Maybe Ganon isn't entirely dead after that game either. Or maybe it's after LA as is. Hell, it could be a new part of FSA, with Ganon coming back. In fact, the Trident being so awkward in how it works would make great sense to place it after that game, since it broke conventions too with a new form of multiplayer(very different from the original FS).

As for it breaking conventions in general... I honestly would've found Zelda being essentially a skin for Link a very boring way to take the series. She already was pretty bleh in Spirit Tracks due to not truly being playable. We have tons of Randomizers, Romhacks, and other materials where she does that. Her being actually different just plain makes sense. Just like I'd expect a game starring Ganon/dorf to not be a traditional Zelda either. I'm glad they tried to change it up. I think the new mechanic is genius and really ties into how she's supposed to be the Puzzle-oriented personality. She's tactical. She's not about Courage. She's Wisdom. We just need a Power-related game down the line. How they do that, who knows.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The second Aonuma mentioned "breaking conventions", my excitement for this game cut in half. He must not realize that one of the main reasons many have been begging for a new 2D Zelda is because they really miss the old conventions (some of the things that originally made a Zelda game a Zelda game). I'm fine with trying out new things, but it has been sooooooooo long since we last got a brand new traditional Zelda (A Link Between Worlds over a decade ago), that it feels like a certain Zelda itch I've had (as a life long player that started it all with Zelda 1 on the NES way back in the day) for a very long time may never again be scratched...
Maybe if we're lucky, the only broken convention will be not fighting mainly by swinging a sword (just saying that makes me miss it already), and the "echoes" can still serve as essentailly the equivalent of items, with some hopefully being found in dungeons complete with bosses to use them against. One can only hope...
And it bugs me a bit that they decided to use the LA remake style again for this game. Not very fond of the black dots for eyes and figure that makes the characters look more like plastic toys from a quarter machine; it kind of worked for the LA remake with it being a cartoony adventure in a dream, but for a game meant to take place in Hyrule, the ALBW aesthetic would be infinitely better. Especially with how closely looking at the map shows it is clearly ALttP Hyrule yet again!
Pretty sure that the "breaking conventions" part was just about Zelda being the main character in this. Classic Zelda will probably still get releases am quite sure. Possibly in the cell shaded Toon Link style. However this is cute too and they seem to borrow a few TotK ideas to bring into 2D Zelda. At least that's my impression.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I still cant really get hyped for my boi being in the shadow realm so drew this meme:
1719086057874.png

But granted its neat finnaly having a canonical zelda in that style and she even has a simple to draw redesign:
1719086133852.png

I removed the Echoes of wisdom elements to draw a simple zelda!
(originally she had the firerod now its a torch well!

D

Deleted member

I really wanna be excited for this game, the gameplay seems quite cool and refreshing for classic Zelda, the artstyle is very good and having a playable Zelda is something fans have wanted for years.

With all said doh, I have a list of priorities when It comes to media I wanna buy this year, and sadly the list is already very anxiety-inducing with the prices for some of the stuff:
Screenshot_2024-06-22-18-50-30-28_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

So yeah, maybe I'll just wait for the new Zelda game until next year or check if any of my little cousins or relatives will pick It up and want me to try It with them.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Link from the new Game!
1719242564745.png

I do still hope link get an artwork! I need more pictures to use as profile pics!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Ah yeah my video on zelda as a protagonist:
And yeah im a upset but whatever...
My poor Boi!

D

Deleted member

It says the video was removed by the user.

Look, I'm really not sure why you're so against Echoes of Wisdom. It's just one game. Link has been the star of several.
In my case It isn't the game the problem at all (far from It, I LOVE the concept of the game and the entire setting), but my wallet.

Look at all the stuff I already plan to buy this year:
Screenshot_2024-07-03-15-53-23-46_99c04817c0de5652397fc8b56c3b3817.jpg

That's a lot of money for all of this stuff, so I sadly will have to wait maybe until next year to try Echoes Of Wisdom. Well, either that or my little cousins pick It up and ask me to play It with them, that would work as well.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
It says the video was removed by the user.

Look, I'm really not sure why you're so against Echoes of Wisdom. It's just one game. Link has been the star of several.
Yeah sorry i was told the video was to quiet! So i made a slightly louder version here:
Also the game looks decent but come on let me be upset about link not being playable!

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero

Looks like telekinesis is going to be a Zelda staple now. And I'm all for it!

Top Bottom