• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Blues

Hyprodimus Prime

Smash Cadet
My friend just told me that he has a Zelda he wants to play me with. I want to prepare so i tried fighting some CPUs. I have never played a Zelda before that and I was shocked to find her incredibly powerful. Maybe a bit slow, but her defence makes up for it. Zelda's grabs are fast and long range. Her doges and rolls seems to last longer than mine. Din's fire also makes it harder to recover. You gotta airdoge, but that takes time and you could fall further. If this is a CPU, I dont know what to expect from a real person. Any tips and advice is appretiated. Thanks in advance!

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
We have a matchup thread. Check it out. It's stickied, so read the discussions we had on Zelda.

Timbers

check me out
From what was mentioned in the OP:

-If the Zelda likes to rollspam to get behind you for dtilts (I don't know how that's become common for Zeldas, they should stop it. A lot of the mediocre ones will do this however) then know that her roll distance is terrible. A good way to punish this is to use a spaced dtilt. If she doesn't roll she'll either be hit or shield it (and she has no oos options to punish a dtilt) and if she does roll she'll be hit by dtilt. It has great IASA frames on it, so feel free to use it more than once if you feel it can botch their plans.

-Never approach Zelda. Zelda has a terrible approach game, especially against Lucario. Her reflector is bad, as you can continuously threaten them with auraspheres, they'll either be forced to approach you or try and naryu's. If you find a pattern, capitalize on it. naryu's has tons of afterlag, so it's really really easy to run in for a grab or something. But again, DONT APPROACH ZELDA.

-Save your midair jump, always. Din's is slow and she can't use several of them to punish airdodges or anything. If you see her using Din's, just be prepared to airdodge it and THEN use your midair and recover.

-Zelda is powerful, but her kill potential is nothing special. Luc's fair alone shuts down all of her lightning kicks. Uair is heavily telegraphed. Dsmash and usmash I've found to be prime killmoves for Zelda. Fresh, they'll both kill you about 120% depending where you're at on the stage. Usmash is typically a damage racker but I've seen Zeldas play much different against Lucarios, as getting that usmash in even once is so hard for them. Expect it. The only time Zelda will rarely ever approach you on the ground is to attempt a hyphen smash. If you're in the air, airdodge through it and punish with a dsmash or ftilt (anything else is probably either too laggy or you'll get too close to Zelda and be sucked in by the usmash)

Hyprodimus Prime

Smash Cadet
Forgot we had the matchup thread. Thanks guys. And thanks Timbers for your advice as well. Im so used to playing swordsmen, I guess I need to learn to wait more and let her approach me.

Top Bottom