• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda and Sheik to play as Seperate Chars or Supplementary "Half-Chars" in Brawl?

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Instead of wondering things like "when zelda will be updated" (I admit though, I started that thread lol), take into account more impactful issues like how zelda will play in brawl, with sheik now confirmed. In melee both Sheik and Zelda followed the failed design of "half characters" where each compliments the weakness of the others, and both were nerfed to make a whole.The idea behind it was to play as sheik 1st, rack up damage and then use zelda for her insane knockback. Zelda, for the most part, has several moves with a lot of knockback, the problem was that Zelda had SMALL HITBOXES, almost all her moves had to be SWEETSPOTTED, and she had pre move and after move LAG. Sheik on the other hand had very large hitboxes and had several very nice kill moves, making Zelda fully obsolete.

They didn't need nerfing at all, as there was no "brokenness" of 2 movesets present bacause the transformation was too long to take advantage of the 2 movesets in combos and such, so it was essentially having 2 seperate nerfed chars (they forgot to nerf one of them)---- there are exceptions, like sheik switching to zelda for recovery... i think thats it....

Will they be like this in Brawl or has Sakurai wisened up and will they play more like how Samus/zamus play, as seperate full unnerfed characters. I think Sakurai realizes that TP zelda is a different person than sheik, in that they only changed haircolor for zelda, while all sheik has is a slightly different model but with same haircolor as melee (different hairsyle though). He also states that Zelda turns into a completely different CHARACTER, though this could mean moveset, this could also be referencing to the OoT Zelda, since they were refrenced as the same person in Melee. There is no mention of their symbiotic relationship either, something that was emphasized (in words, not actions) in melee.

I hope this means that both are seperate and full chars but if not, for gods sake make the main character in the duo, zelda, the pants of the relationship, which i think is hinted in that both have the same FS (presumably in zelda's form, i cant picture sheik shooting light arrows, though possible)

Oh I presume zelda playable in the next brawl demo, since i think she is the only character excluded from play other than snake (only thing i can think of is that he didn't have a FS update till recently) and olimar (since he just came out), so we can see ourselves.

I hope zelda is seperately playable, w/out needing sheik, hinted in the buffs shes recieved. All her a moves so far have either larger hitboxes and/or come out faster (with the exception of neutral A and mabye Uair). Her B moves, for the most part, seem stronger too. In the video she used farore's wind as an ATTACK move, and there seems to be sparkles at the end of the move, hinting damage done at the destination. Dins Fire is debated on whether or not it is stronger though, as some say is weaker than in melee, while others say it is faster than in melee.

A new find, Naryu's love, according to the new pic, has diomands that shoot all around zelda, instead of horizontally like in melee. This is a noticable buff as people used to just low jump out of its way before, now it provides cover from all directions. Oh, and according to her video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPCxdEihxM, people say its faster than in melee too.

Iris

Smash Ace
I hope Zelda is in the next demo, so we can update her fundamentals by ourselves. A 2 sentence explanation on the Dojo isn't nearly as helpful, nor objective.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
I quote myself from the Sheik/Zelda troubled past thread:

I would like each of them to be more independent and viable characters on their own. Which character identity you assume in any given match would depend on your opponent's playstyle - and of course, your own. Sometimes it's better to have a powerhouse, sometimes it's better to have a fast character. I think the transform should only be there so you can counter your opponent's playstyle (or satisfy your own preferences), not so that you're forced to change from one to the other in order to combo/knock-out. In order to make this dichotomy not broken (is it fair to have both excellent power and great speed?), Zelda should not necessarily be the strongest character in the game, and Sheik should not necessarily be the fastest - but just enough of these extremes so that the player can assume a speed-or-power-oriented playstyle on the fly.

ALSO, a thought: if the idea is that Sheik is supposed to build up damage and Zelda is supposed to come in for the final knock-out move... Well let's hope your Sheik didn't take any damage getting your opponent to a high percentage, because sadly Zelda is very easy to knock out... so isn't it somewhat of a risk to bring her in for the final KO move? At that point, where your opponent is at a high percentage, isn't it possible or even likely that you too would be at too high of a percentage to safely switch over to Zelda who especially can't escape speedy attacks?
I'm really worried Zelda is going to suck, because on her character page on the Dojo it makes special note that her movement is poor but her attacks are powerful - but Sheik's page doesn't say anything along the lines that she will be fast with poor attack power. I guess Sheik will just be awesome, and Zelda will suck. Of course, I'm just being pessimistic, because Sakurai didn't say anything in particular about Sheik's fighting prowess on her profile page. :p

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
if you watch the video , note that zelda runs and jumps aeons faster than in melee (lol i think she was slower than bowser in melee) its progress, but i expect sheik to be much faster than that. They withheld sheik+zelda for a while probably because they were working out their balance, hope they get it right this time....

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
Something in the back of my mind is making me think Zelda is gonna be the down side of the pair once again. We finally get Sheik but she's introduced as a whole new character. She could have been easily updated with Zelda's special moves. 6 months to tell us that absolutely nothing has changed except appearance gah. We even got Sheik before her FS wonder why.

Really though it's nice for them being balance and all but I just don't want to be forced to play as Sheik. GameAngel's quote pretty much sums it up. For once it would be nice to see Zelda be a worthy opponent she has the potential but it's being held back. Hopefully they figured out the whole transformation thing by now and they can be used as full equal characters or now Zelda get's the time to shine. More so the latter cause I am hoping Sheik gets nerfed into oblivion (Ok I take that back i'm not that mean or am I ha).

Anyway yeah Zelda being included in a demo would be nice, then we could finally see if she got her much needed improvements. Bring on the videos because I was disapointed that in that 5min video they didn't show her fighting, taunting, FS or nothing except her getting thrown around like trash.

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
I've considered that, maybe they won't do much to change Zelda's moves, but maybe given the new game physics or whatever, her moves will just work better? Does that make any sense? Like, people won't be able to escape her forward Smash so easily, for example?

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: Oops, stupid Smashboards... it never seems to load for me anymore. Is anyone else having this problem? Sorry about the double-post. 'Twas accidental!

Drake3

Smash Ace
A new find, Naryu's love, according to the new pic, has diomands that shoot all around zelda, instead of horizontally like in melee. This is a noticable buff as people used to just low jump out of its way before, now it provides cover from all directions. Oh, and according to her video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EPCxdEihxM, people say its faster than in melee too.
I hope that it's written in there that Nayru's Love does that, because the spell looks the exact same as it did in Melee. Pause it while she's doing it. You'll see the diamonds floating a bit above her before they spiral out horizontally.

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
Honestly

As much as i'm dismayed at Shiek being included, the impression we recieve from trailers (CGI) indicates that Zelda is very aggressive and capable, and as it may sound relevant, i doubt any inpressions given would be faulted in regards to how she plays. For example in the beginning of the SSE clip, Sakurai seemed to make a point that Zelda was more magic orientated abnd outgoing than she was before (she's quick to go down and get a peice of action for herself).

Now anyway, regarding her actual attacks, looking at the scans from Famitsu, her Din's Fire looks excedingly larger than it was in melee, and although it may be irrelevant for all we know so far, the yellow 'ribbon' on her Farore's Wind protrudes much farther out horizontally and is substantially thicker. Hopefully it will be less punishable than in Melee, she deserves it. I mean look at Shiek's up+b. Many many invincibility frames there, hopefully the same goes for Zelda.

Top Bottom