• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zair straight through Mario/Squirtle's water gun?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
OK, so Squirtle and Mario have that nasty water gun/FLUDD attack that's all but worthless except against, say, people who play as Link. I was playing some against computers, and noticed something rather strange; when I zaired FLUDD's water stream straight on, Link completely stopped in midair for the duration of FLUDD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3uvJCzNSjo

Do people know about this? I don't know how useful this would be, since it seems awfully situational, but I thought it might warrant at least a second look.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
OK, so Squirtle and Mario have that nasty water gun/FLUDD attack that's all but worthless except against, say, people who play as Link. I was playing some against computers, and noticed something rather strange; when I zaired FLUDD's water stream straight on, Link completely stopped in midair for the duration of FLUDD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3uvJCzNSjo

Do people know about this? I don't know how useful this would be, since it seems awfully situational, but I thought it might warrant at least a second look.
I'll take a good look at this after school today. I'll probably make recordings of Squirtle and Mario with some different variables thrown in then post them.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Actually, that is really cool.

The hitboxes for zair are maintained throughout the blast while the clawshot itself is actually already falling to the ground. Due to how situational this may end up being (I believe you'd need to hit FLUDD straight on for this to work), I wouldn't bet on using this as a useful block against Mario or Squirtle, but let's find out.

Rizen

Smash Legend
FLUDD (and water squirt) is many fast hits that push, you can Dair bounce it. Nair from the right place (above the water stream) might have the same affect as that^ Zair. All Link's standard attacks out prioritize FLUDD but most count as one or two hits so they don't cancel much of it. Nair/Dait/Uair/Zair have constant hitbubbles that keep attacking after hitting. Link's hurtbox can't be hit or he'll be pushed.

FLUDD is a similar concept to fire breath except it pushes without damage or hitstun. You can cancel part of, and Dair bounce, fire breath if Link's hit bubbles connect and Link isn't hit. There are big differences in FLUDD and Fire breath, of course.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
If we're close enough to the edge, yes, we will grab it.

The problem though, is if we're not close enough to the edge to grab it, what is merely an annoyance to most other characters (unless followed up by a good Mario player) can on its own be deadly to Link, who has such an incredibly short recovery. So if a Mario/Squirtle were to do the move from farther away it could be useful to know what options we have, since airdodging through it can put us in a tricky situation if it doesn't get us close enough to the edge.

It really does look hilarious though when someone tethers and gets FLUDDed though, hahaha!

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Not what I was thinking.

I was thinking more like if Link couldn't grab the ledge with Zair for whatever reason, then would he stay still.
Right, this would probably be its main use. Seeing as Link's horizontal recovery is practically nonexistant, a z-air could save a stock vs a FLUDD in mid-air.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
To be completely honest, saying that we zair at the perfect time and stop every single hitbox of FLUDD, and it turns out that zair's animation doesn't freeze like we hoped...
I still think the lag from zair is going to be our downfall. It's just too laggy. Instead of barely being in range of the edge, we'll barely be out of range (the most hideous of all feelings for a Link user).

I hope I'm proved wrong through some testing, but.

Top Bottom