• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Z or A button to pick up items in the air?

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
Just wondering for the GS tourny coming up. Can someone with the game confirm for me?

SirAileron

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirAileron
3DS FC
4339-2495-8012
From what my buddy's told me (as well as an abundance of gameplay videos), you can use A, but I'd assume either works.

KazenoZ

Smash Apprentice
A works, Z probably doesn't, but you can just airdodge while it passes through you and you should automaticly grab it.

felix45

Smash Lord
this is good info, thanks guys :)

oh hey I just got another question/idea

if you air dodge into food, does it auto pick up all of it? can someone test this?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Using Z, you'll either catch it normally (being immediately able to move) or airdodge and then catch it (if you're in range).

Using A or the C-stick, you'll perform aerials. If an item is within reach for the initial part of your aerial (the window disappears towards the end of all aerials), you'll automatically catch the item. You can now also catch items with Dashattack. You'll also Dashattack if you C-stick while dashing (and catch items).

Items like guns, bats and swords can no longer be thrown using A. C-sticking will make you use them (shoot guns, Fsmash/Tilt with bats and swords). You have to use Z to let go of such items (Z normally will item drop, Z + a direction will throw it). This is good as you can still C-stick Dsmash and Usmash while holding, for example, a gun.

Top Bottom