• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Z-air... what Z button?! G-air?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
I'm always a bit lost for words when talking about Samus' air grapple move, 'Z-air'. The default grab button on 3DS is L, but calling it L-air seems confusing because it's not L on any of the past games. Should we carry on calling the move Z-air, as confusing as that may be for newcomers, or could we come up with a new name for the 3DS version? Is it worth renaming just for the 3DS? Off the top of my head, how about G-air (grapple air/grab air)? Do Link users still call it Zair as well?

EDIT: ooooo, I just thought of another option: Taser. I'm not sure if grab-air makes that much sense because you can't actually grab people with it, although you can grab the ledge. What do you think?

Last edited:

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
If it's all the same to you, I'd appreciate it if you raised this point about 'Zair' in my smash dictionary thread. I agree that it needs to be changed. A discussion needs to be had with the wider community on stuff like this.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Cool, I've brought it up in your thread. I don't know if this thread is still relevant now that I know yours exists, but if any Samus players can think of a good name for her one in particular, then this thread might catch their eye.

Other ideas: Whip? Lasso? Brab (beam grab) [yes, terrible, but just throwing names out there]? The Stunner? [we would have to change the name only if they put Stone Cold in the game...] Tether?

EDIT: I completely forgot Zero Suit Samus exists, of course stunner would already be confused with her move.

Last edited:

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
The physical button L is just programmed to act the exact same way as Z — I think it should still be Z-air. Calling it Taser is even less clear because it's never referred to as a Taser (which it isn't, anyway) anywhere else, G-air (grapple air?) can be mistaken for her using Z (L on default 3DS controls) to recover to ledge (also known as tether). If you are a newcomer you will need to learn a lot of Smash jargon anyway, with Wii U version coming soon and allowing Gamecube Controllers, where Z is used, this change would be even more confusing down the line.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
It's Zair. Can't change it after this long. You can re-map the B button to Y but that doesn't mean you shouldn't still call moves side-b and such.

Beard Hawk

Smash Apprentice
Fair enough... or should I say... Zair enough...

Yeah, I'll leave now.

Mettie7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mettie7
3DS FC
2191-8121-7929
Why change it? There IS a Z button on the GCN controller so...

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Why change it? There IS a Z button on the GCN controller so...
Seeing how this remains true, and the GCN will most likely remain the "go-to" controller both for the community and for describing moves/buttons (we do have :GCZ: smilies for a reason, y'know), discussion for this can continue on Fox is Openly Deceptive's thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom