• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Z-Air Item Dropping

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
So i played around with Link today and found out, that he can drop his Bomb in midair, if he uses his Z-Air. This has the fantastic effect, that Link's Bomb will not explode on the ground and stay as traps, shields and extra ammo. He can even drop a bomb without drawing his hookshot, if you time it right after an short hop. The user pants name guy in this thread on the Link board already posted his discovery and i filmed this small video showing off Link's Bomb Dropping:

The mechanic behind this behavior is properly, that the games needs Link right hand to be empty to have him draw his hookshot. So instead of just throwing the item first and weaken his Z-Air recovery, he simply drops the item. Since thie game doesn't count this as an throw, the bomb will not explode immediately.

It looks like a great tool for Link, but there could be more characters with Z-Air be able to do this. Since i have only the demo, i can't test out the others characters.

Last edited:

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Interesting find. Reminds me of Snake and his grenade drops.
There are a lot of possibilities thanks to the natur of the Link's bombs. They somehow can eat up or simply destroy practicals, which fly close to the ground (Mario's Fireball or Villager's Lloid Rocket), will explode, if opponents attack or touch them, Link can pick them up, while using his running attack and the best part the Bomb will stay very long on the ground. So Link can actully hide behind them and spam his moves or build traps for returning opponents, like placing a bomb at the end of the rolling recovery animation from the edge.

Stupid question of the day because I haven't played the 3DS version yet: How do you Z-drop without Z? R+A??
You can use R+A or simply press the left shoulder button. Your right, technically Z-Air would be wrong for the 3DS-Version (unless the New3DS comes out). But i guess, people know the therm Z-Air better, that's why i used it here.

Last edited:

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
There are a lot of possibilities thanks to the natur of the Link's bombs. They somehow can eat up or simply destroy practicals, which fly close to the ground (Mario's Fireball or Villager's Lloid Rocket), will explode, if opponents attack or touch them, Link can pick them up, while using his running attack and the best part the Bomb will stay very long on the ground. So Link can actully hide behind them and spam his moves or build traps for returning opponents, like placing a bomb at the end of the rolling recovery animation from the edge.

You can use R+A or simply press the left shoulder button. Your right, technically Z-Air would be wrong for the 3DS-Version (unless the New3DS comes out). But i guess, people know the therm Z-Air better, that's why i used it here.
Oh no worries, it wasn't a terminology qualm at all! I just didn't know how it would be possible haha. It's really helpful to know I can use L for that, thanks!!!

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Could it be possible for Link to perform bomb punts like he could in Project M? That would be too good to be true.
The way i understand Bomb Punts, this would not be possible. You can't damage your own bomb. In order to Bomb Punt to work, you need to hit it with your hookshot, what doesn't work.

Last edited:

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
In Brawl, you weren't able to bomb punt because the bomb had no hp and would just explode, and I think Zair is the only attack to cause it to explode. Link's bombs in Smash 4 do appear to have hp though because they don't explode as soon as they're hit. I could be wrong however, as I don't remember much about Brawl since I last played it. It would be best to try it out for ourselves when the demo arrives.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Can you hit your midair bombs with arrows or boomerang in this Smash? I'm not sure if I've just been missing them.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ok, that's just awesome. I'll have to remember this when playing.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It would be called a Gair, for grab-air, since you can rebind controls to whichever buttons you prefer (for me, it'll probably be a yair).

Still, good find.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
It would be called a Gair, for grab-air, since you can rebind controls to whichever buttons you prefer (for me, it'll probably be a yair).

Still, good find.
Should be called an air-g, or airg, for air-grab. I can just imagine Scar shouting "THAT AIRG WAS SO IMPORTANT!"

Top Bottom