• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YYG Set-Ups

PwNess

Smash Rookie
I've recently started trying to abuse the yyg in matches and find myself being able to do it more often than not; and more importantly i've been winning my matches (ness' rise to top tier, anyone?). i'm not saying all you need to do is connect with the YYG and you'll win matches, you'll still need your mindgames and tech skill. but other than that, i have a few "combos"if you will that can help you get the YYG set up. here's what i've come up with so far:

i haven't figured out the percentages/character matchup yet, but these do all work.

fair to usmash (works on most characters, given they don't shield right away)
bthrow to usmash (as per simna latest vid, following the tech)
dtilt spam to usmash
first sparkle only with dash attack to usmash
basically following any tech recovery

edgeguarding (i figured this one out while trying to figure out the syyg.)

timed correctly, usmashing your opponent off the edge(letting the yoyo hang off the edge a little) while your opponent is trying to wallhug recover, is a pretty good edgeguard option/YYG setup.

and of course there are the switches on peaches castle, star blocks on green greens(as well as the blocks on yosh'is island and icicle mountain, and birdo on mushroom kingdom II.
and theres the needles and arrows you can yyg too.

*and abuse the grab range of the YYG! its not all about the jackets!

gg.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Don't forget to abuse that ever so wonderful, and ever so DIFFICULT to pull off, PKTB. If you can't get a YYG after a good PKTB, then just....no.

PwNess

Smash Rookie
im going to a tournament this weekend with my "YYG state of mind" in all my matches. i'll see how i do and find out if this strategy can break ness. (if you know what i mean)

blackcat13

Smash Cadet
i'm kinda new to ness, and like him as a secondary 4 my falco. but i don't get his tech skills. their kinda confusing so i have 3 questions.
wats pktm
how do you equip a d-air jacket
wats pktb

GildedPunch

Smash Ace
i'm kinda new to ness, and like him as a secondary 4 my falco. but i don't get his tech skills. their kinda confusing so i have 3 questions.
wats pktm
how do you equip a d-air jacket
wats pktb
To equip a spike jacket (d-air jacket ) you need to shffl dair after a succesful yyg.
As for the pktb and pktm, I don't know these terms very well either but I know I have probably done them. :)

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
pktm = PK Thunder Missile (aka PK Thunder2 aka PK Thunder Jibaku aka blah blah blah blah)

pktb = PK Thunder Barrier (this is using the pk thunder as a barrier or net to catch you if you get hit)

PwNess

Smash Rookie
so just to make sure. wats the yyg
if this is a serious question... theres a thread stickied on the yyg.

now.. i did better than i thought i would at the tournament considering my entirely new strategy. . i placed 6th out of 60 something entrants. i wish i had some of those matches recorded.. i did screw up the yyg a few times, the nerves got to me.. but i did KO a falco with ness's taunt to end the match. (spike jacket and taunt at the edge of FD>wall hugging firebird, woot) that was awesome. OKAY!

lol.. anyways, fair to usmash worked really well. but i had to wavedash after the fair a couple times to get the right spacing. tech chasing to usmash is **** hard i always jc usmash either too soon or too late, i don't know how you did it simna. i had a few chances to try the edgeguard set-up but my ness insticts settled for a bat to the face.

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
blackcat: http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/YYG

PwNess(Disclaimer: everything you are about to read is complete BS...best to just practice til u can do the stuff...oh and BS does not mean Bomb Soldier): Things like tech chasing with upsmash using Ness come easier or harder depending on what you personality is. Me for instance, if im standing at the edge with a spike jacket i'd most likely be in PSI Magnet rather than taunting...and its that kind of personality trait that makes things like tech chasing with upsmash easier for me. It will be naturally harder for sum1 who taunts with a spike jacket on...

(lol)

thabettaplaya

Smash Apprentice
I used to apply the YYG to my game for a while but now I realize that it can be replaced in most situations with better and more practical options. Agree anyone???

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
In my experience it can be useful but only as a suprise tactic, if they see it coming it doesn't do you a bit of good...just like almost anything in this game I guess.

Top Bottom