• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Yoyo Glitch Questions

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Ness player with some questions concerning the YYG...

1. I have the PAL version of ssbm. Are there any differences concerning the YYG?
2. When do I know that I've laid down a hitbox (upsmash)? In the past, I had to trust on my luck.
3. When I lay down the upsmash-hitbox (or when I'm sure that i've done so XD) I usually do a shffled dair and run to the ledge and cancel an up b to get a thunder jacket :)
Are there more (good) options?
4. When to do the yoyo glitch in a fight? In some of the vids I've found on www.youtube.com
the Ness players did it in the end of the fight. It's not a good idea to spam the upsmash isn't it?
5. The "Upair-jacket" is more difficult to do than a spike-jacket, imo...
Is it useful, though? Or: When to do the Thunder jacket and when to do the" Upair-jacket"?
6. What else can you tell me about the YYG?

Thank in advance

//sry 4 my bad engli$h

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
1. I dunno, im not big on the different versions of smash, sorry. :/

2. Go in practice mode and try do it a few times. You'll get a feel for the timing, and you'll know when to do it.

3. For jackets? Last I checked, spike jacket and thunder jacket (d.air and PKT, respectively) are the two good jacket options. As for using the YYG in general, you could also use a grab deathline or b.air deathline.

4. Ummmm this is a question better fit for a Ness player (i just know how to do the stuff). I do it OoS, DC'd u.smash, and on green greens, but im not real sure if there's better options.

5. IMO, thunder's the best you can get, spike's second best. U.air isnt worth the trouble, but again, that's my opinion, i could be sadly mistaken.

6. Um...... it's reallllllly awesome on people who dont know the setup. I think moreso then people who've flat out never seen it. Cause if they've never seen it, they might not be able to catch what happened. If they dont understand the setup, they odnt know what to look for, which keeps you in their head.

not really relevant, but that's just some random in my opinion info.

// your english is good enough to comprehend, dun worry about it.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I've tried to floorblast cancel a thunder jacket but everytime I try, it doesn't work. Do I have to jump first or does it just not work?

Also, I can't really work YYG into a combo. I've seen Simna DJCFAir into YYG but I can't DJC Fair that well. Are there other options?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I want to say it works cause I know i've done it before, but dont quote me on that.

I'm pretty sure it works, but it's not always the safest options (as if jumping off and PKT2'ing back is).

__

Working the YYG in, you're guess is as good as mine.

Only times i've gotten it to work is from JC'd u.smashes, and OoS u.smashses. I've never even heard of it being done off a DJC f.air. I'm gunna look into that now.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I want to say it works cause I know i've done it before, but dont quote me on that.

I'm pretty sure it works, but it's not always the safest options (as if jumping off and PKT2'ing back is).

__

Working the YYG in, you're guess is as good as mine.

Only times i've gotten it to work is from JC'd u.smashes, and OoS u.smashses. I've never even heard of it being done off a DJC f.air. I'm gunna look into that now.

No, I meant he DJC FAired into an Upsmash which activated YYG.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Yeah, I get what chya saying, but I guess my response got lost in translation. (ebonics ftl :/)

but, i've just never thought of trying that.

Do you happen to have the video?

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
It might be on youtube or something but I was basically just asking if there was any way to combo into a USmash besides DJC FAir because my fingers don't have that precision yet.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
You can combo into an upsmash with fair? First time ive heard that. Ness barely has enough frams after a DJC fair to get a grab in without getting counter attacked (or maybe im just playing against too much falco and fox).

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Ness player with some questions concerning the YYG...

1. I have the PAL version of ssbm. Are there any differences concerning the YYG?
2. When do I know that I've laid down a hitbox (upsmash)? In the past, I had to trust on my luck.
3. When I lay down the upsmash-hitbox (or when I'm sure that i've done so XD) I usually do a shffled dair and run to the ledge and cancel an up b to get a thunder jacket :)
Are there more (good) options?
4. When to do the yoyo glitch in a fight? In some of the vids I've found on www.youtube.com
the Ness players did it in the end of the fight. It's not a good idea to spam the upsmash isn't it?
5. The "Upair-jacket" is more difficult to do than a spike-jacket, imo...
Is it useful, though? Or: When to do the Thunder jacket and when to do the" Upair-jacket"?
6. What else can you tell me about the YYG?

Thank in advance

//sry 4 my bad engli$h
1. I dunno, im not big on the different versions of smash, sorry. :/

2. Go in practice mode and try do it a few times. You'll get a feel for the timing, and you'll know when to do it.

3. For jackets? Last I checked, spike jacket and thunder jacket (d.air and PKT, respectively) are the two good jacket options. As for using the YYG in general, you could also use a grab deathline or b.air deathline.

4. Ummmm this is a question better fit for a Ness player (i just know how to do the stuff). I do it OoS, DC'd u.smash, and on green greens, but im not real sure if there's better options.

5. IMO, thunder's the best you can get, spike's second best. U.air isnt worth the trouble, but again, that's my opinion, i could be sadly mistaken.

6. Um...... it's reallllllly awesome on people who dont know the setup. I think moreso then people who've flat out never seen it. Cause if they've never seen it, they might not be able to catch what happened. If they dont understand the setup, they odnt know what to look for, which keeps you in their head.

not really relevant, but that's just some random in my opinion info.

// your english is good enough to comprehend, dun worry about it.

1. is still unexplained.
2. I've done so, but now there's a bigger problem.
Since I'm back from a bigger tournament in Germany (Easter Egg Parade) the YYG doesn't work any more Oo. From 500 Upsmashes, one time a hitbox is laid down.... I could make a video if this would help... Am I just unlucky atm or what?! In the matches on youtube it looks soo easy...
3. thx.
4. seems, it's still unexplained.
Could you explain what "OoS" means? :)
DJ'd upsmash? O.o *feels noob-like*
5. IMO, "Upair Jacket" / Star jacket, if I'm right, is good against high damaged opponents, to kill them vertically.. is that right?
6. ---

//thx but for the first post I've much used http://dict.leo.org XD
I would like to hear other opinions...

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
OoS = out of shield. You can actually do upsmashes directly OoS, but Earthbound360 recommends that you let go and quickly use up+a, so you can charge for the YYG.

DC = dash cancelled ( i might have made that one up on the fly, lol ). It's just a JC'd upsmash (jump cancelled), but jump cancelled upsmash just sounded dumb to me when i said it.

Dont feel bad, granted OoS is general, i have a knack for making up acryonyms, cause I'm lazy and dont like to type much.

--

As for jackets, I really dont know how well the u.air jacket works. I've never really bothered to equip it. D:

I just imagine that for the trouble it takes to get it on, it probably isnt worth it. I dunno.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
There is no difference between the different versions of the game concerning the yyg.

U-smash is very hard to combo into, and it's a bad idea to spam it. The only time it is ever used is as an anti-aerial attack. Think of it as a tilt that has more range, but less power.

To answer more of your questions there is a pal (european) version guide stickied at the top of the forum. Really these are the most important links (I'm not sure how advanced your english is, but I think that website is ok):

Super Guide:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=93855

Pal version Ness guide:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=36906

They're at the top of the forum for future reference.

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
ok but one last question =>
Is the YYG concerned with luck anyhow?
I've read the YYG-section in the Super Guide, and since then i can perform the YYG better, but I still doubt that it is possible to "rule" the YYG completely...
...The YYG doesn't always work although I'm sure to have done everything correctly...

So my last question, once again: Luck and YYG? Is there a connection?

// bad english U_U

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
yeah good!! Very Good!!!
And I've ever thought that it just be the right frame of upsmash or luck or sth. else ....
good! XD

Does this work with any kind of upsmash (weak hit, strong hit), when the timing is just right?
^_^

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
nope, just this first hitbox (this is where the YYG guide at the top of this forum comes in)

Basically, there's 4 hitboxes to the upsmash.

1) happens while the yo-yo is going out
- pops your opponent up and away.
- THIS IS THE ONE MUST HIT WITH TO YYG. you MUST hit with this hitbox, and you CANNOT hit with another one.

2) the yo-yo creeps forward a little bit, where it is when you charge the smash. This one makes your opponent flinch.
- this is the hitbox that is "dropped"

3) who cares
4) who cares.

----

You HAVE to hit with the first, and ONLY the first. On top of that, you have to have the timing of the charge down.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
You can get it off with the fourth as well, Doggy. If you know how. Thats when you let it out and someone runs into it.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
You can get it off with the fourth as well, Doggy. If you know how. Thats when you let it out and someone runs into it.
unless im completely crazy, the 4th one is the when it's past your head and going in.

And unless i've ready wrong and have been mistaken, the only hitbox this works with is the first one are pretty much guarenteed, and the second one is retardedly hard.

Dan Smith said:
The Yo-Yo Glitch

Setting Up the Glitch

* The easiest way to set the YYG hitbox is to hit the enemy with only the first hitbox of Ness' U-smash, charge it a little, and then release it slightly after Ness flashes yellow ONCE. (The enemy will be knocked up and away a decent distance)

NOTE: It's difficult to describe the timing for the YYG. If you need to see it in action, watch Simna's Guide to PK Thunder Volume 2 and fast forward to about 3:30.​

* Another way to set the hitbox is to hit with the 2nd part of the U-smash when the Yo-Yo creeps forward and is charging. (Extremely little knockback, this method is not recommended)
* The hitbox itself appears on the ground at Ness' feet just as the U-smash animation ends. If the backswing of the U-smash hits anything, the YYG hitbox will not be set.

NOTE: The hitbox is invisible. Your opponent will take about 4 damage if he walks into it and your next hit will be a Ghost Hit.​

The_NZA

Smash Lord
try this. Do up A. Hold it. Have someone run into it (but only get hit once). Now spike jacket. It will work.

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
I've done the YYG, although the opponent isn't popped away.
?!

Who cares, today I've made 3 videos of my Ness ^_^ *is happy*
Vids are coming soon...

€dit: Well, you guys helped me, thx.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I was messin around with f.air - u.smash.

got it workin on a cpu, i gotta wait till later tonight to try it on a real opponent though.

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
I have questions again.

As i know, the opponent can stop the YYG with his shield.
Does he have other options after my Ness got Thunder Jacket or something else?

I've thought about it... Maybe it's good just to lightshield.
The opponent may want to shieldgrab me and would get damaged...
What do you think?

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Thats a good idea. Also remember, if you ahve the jacket, YOU have the control. If all they do is sit there and shield, harass them. Remember, just cause you have a jacket doesn't mean you cant do any moves. I think you can still do your B moves. Break out a pk thunder or pk fire them while they try and wait.

Top Bottom