• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YouTube copyright question

Mky762

Smash Journeyman
For some reason youtube is acting up for me and i cant obtain any info on this.

Say i posted a dub video that has video of a show but then i dub it with audio from another show.

Is stating "I do not own the rights to the shows in my video" prevent me from getting suspended and/or prevent the video from getting removed?

any info would help

Thank You

ZettaKuma

Smash Cadet
These days, Youtube is really random about what they remove.
They (usually) don't remove something on their own, but if the copyright holders say it needs to go, it will be gone.
So really the creators and copyright holders are the ones who can get a video removed, and if they want, can remove your account.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's because what you're doing right now is illegal!

The original video and audio are copyrighted. That means you are not allowed to make copies of it. It is illegal to put it on your YouTube account. It is illegal to make remixes and derivative works from it. It is illegal to save the video to your computer.

Google (who owns YouTube) has put in an automatic filter, which will try (very poorly) to identify copyrighted works, and automatically remove them. If you want your videos back, all you have to do is sue the copyright holder under the DMCA, a process that will cost thousands of dollars and take years.

Selecting "I do not own the rights to the shows in my video", is just a way of Google coercing you into admitting your video likely breaks copyright law. That way they know to look at your videos first.

Sound fair?

Do it anyway. What we need are people that believe in Freedom. Not sheep that give up their freedom of expression. Make your video. Save it. If they delete it, post it again.

Top Bottom