• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

YouTube Channel 'Melee Mechanics' Releases Informative Video Series

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
New YouTube channel Melee Mechanics has released their first two videos, both explaining some of the finer details of Super Smash Brothers Melee's game systems. These videos highlight character frames and hitstun calculations, respectively. Players who are looking to level up their game will find a lot to learn in these videos - watch them below.

Intro to Melee Character Frames

Hitstun Explained
These videos are incredibly informative - what topics do you want to see Melee Mechanics cover next?

The Derrit thinks there's no such thing as bad Melee videos. Follow him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Weight / Falling speed should be covered IMO. They get mixed up all the time.

Also include how they affect grabs/throws. i.e. Fox can't u-throw u-air Bowser or Samus

Tryst

Smash Ace
NNID
Skolar
3DS FC
2750-1644-8369
Does most of this hold true for Project: M Too? Too bad something like this doesn't exist for Project: M

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Does most of this hold true for Project: M Too? Too bad something like this doesn't exist for Project: M
Project M is designed to have Melee physics and feel similar to Melee, so most of this should apply. 60 FPS, hurtbubbles, weight/fall speed, etc.

Zenmaioh

Smash Apprentice
Okay so first off: the Chrono Cross music in the first video BLEW MY MIND! second off: this is great! can't wait to see more!

Stake

Smash Cadet
This is really nice, If I had watched these when I first got into the competitive scene it would be really helpful lol.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
There should be more video tutorials about specific characters, explaining character specific techniques and bread 'n butter combos, sort of like Maximillian's Assist Me except without the cosplay. I'm surprised not many exist considering that Melee has been out for this long.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Orgasmic... Although it's going to be a bit too complex and unnecessary for anyone without a deep understand of the game. Even if you introduce them to each thing individually it's going to be hard for them to apply that knowledge.... Heck when I look at how knockback scales I was just like 'well that's neat' because I don't know how to apply that theory to my play.... at least not yet, I'm going have to stare at it a bit longer....

edit: So.. You need more data then what's provide to make real use of that chart so I don't feel so dumb now =) (especially since I know where to get that info~)

Last edited:

dkuo

Smash Lord
most of the melee marth board regulars know that kadano has been the long time GOAT with frame data
hes behind pretty much all of this

**** is wild, 10/10 would watch again

Last edited:

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
Cool stuff. A video that covers hit/hurt bubble interactions during clashes, trades, and priority (for ground vs ground, air vs air, air vs ground, and both vs projectile) would be sweet.

One small criticism is that the video moves a bit fast. I had to constantly pause to read in order to keep up.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Pretty cool and will definitely help with easing in new players trying to go competitive. Not something I will use though I play with memory and experience of matchups than frames and all this other stuff.

Top Bottom