• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You're up against someone really good, do you keep playing?

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
And let's say lag is not a part of this

Sometimes I would body somebody with a decent level of smash skill for the first match and then they instantly quit. I would think to myself, wow I would never back down from a good challenger.

Only time i would maybe give up if I keep repeatedly getting paired with a level 1 smash noob in 2vs2 match

Last edited:

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
I always like to learn, so I'll keep playing! I actually find a lot of good players on FG, including some I meet in my local tourneys, so extra practice is good! It happens more than you think for me...

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Of course. If someone gives me a challenge, I'll give them a challenge too.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It's always good to learn things to help me improve my game so I definitely keep playing against the same really good player for another four rounds or so.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It varies. I wanna get better sure, but I don't wanna be grounded up into a fine dust either. For example, I don't want to stay if all I can do is 40% or less damage to someone and get 2 stocked at every turn; however, if I occasionally get 2 stocked and get close to beating them some matches, but still lose constantly then yes I will. Basically someone who is closer to my skill but still better.

It also depends on how respectful my opponent is too. There's a lot of people on For Glory who tend to get extremely cocky after a few wins. There's also the few who make it their goal to humiliate someone who isn't at their skill level. Respect counts a lot.

Naklsonofnakkl

Smash Rookie
NNID
NaklsonofNakkl
It varies. I wanna get better sure, but I don't wanna be grounded up into a fine dust either. For example, I don't want to stay if all I can do is 40% or less damage to someone and get 2 stocked at every turn; however, if I occasionally get 2 stocked and get close to beating them some matches, but still lose constantly then yes I will. Basically someone who is closer to my skill but still better.

It also depends on how respectful my opponent is too. There's a lot of people on For Glory who tend to get extremely cocky after a few wins. There's also the few who make it their goal to humiliate someone who isn't at their skill level. Respect counts a lot.
This is pretty much my stance as well.
If I can learn how to better play my character from the match, I will continue playing, but if I am either dominating them with little ease or getting dominated with little ease then I tend to play three rounds with them and bounce if things don't improve. I immediately leave if they begin talking trash or spend a round trying to humiliate me. I've got better things to do than play matches where I gain nothing from.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Usually I will stay with somebody who is a better player than me, but if they act like a jerk I'm not going to waste my time with them.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
If I'm totally bodied, I will stay a little more. If I am still getting bodied with no return, I will quit. If I actually get the hang of the opponent, I will stay until I won more/tied with my opponent.

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
I always stick around, unless I'm having an off day and I catch my salt levels rising. Salt definitely wont help me improve haha :shaker:

D

Deleted member

It depends.
  • If I just get bodied, I might muster the courage and try again to see if I can do better. If I feel demotivated, I leave.
  • If the player I fought was fun and they were really good, I stay.
  • If the player is just an outright jerk and insults me or spams taunts, I leave. Even if they are better, they aren't worth my time.

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
Unless you're getting 2-stocked zero-deathed every match, there's something you can learn. If you are getting 2S/ZtD every match, you probably can still learn something.

like the how to play video

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
And let's say lag is not a part of this

Sometimes I would body somebody with a decent level of smash skill for the first match and then they instantly quit. I would think to myself, wow I would never back down from a good challenger.

Only time i would maybe give up if I keep repeatedly getting paired with a level 1 smash noob in 2vs2 match
Most of the time I will keep playing, even if I get miffed, until I win and then leave.

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
If I had a blast playing with them and I don't get destroyed to oblivion and back, I'll probably stick around for a few more matches at least.

D

Deleted member 269706

To be completely honest, there are times I throw the match. If I'm playing against someone, and they're using a spammy technique against me when I'm playing a character who has a really hard time with that (ex: Ganondorf), and it's looking like I'm gonna be two stocked, I'll try and fight to the point where they lose a stock, but then I'll throw it after that. It's extremely rare that I throw matches (probably once every 500 or so), but once in a while I do throw a match because their methods are just too much for me to handle in particular situations. However I NEVER leave after throwing a match, I'll change characters, and give it another shot.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I usually won't stick around for more than one match anyway. If I meet up with someone who is, as the young, hip folk would say, "2ez4me," then they just aren't worth my time, and conversely, if I find someone who 2-stocks me effortlessly, then I'm hardly learning anything or having any semblance of fun while playing them, so I'll leave. That, and I usually don't like playing multiple 1v1 matches with the same person anyway.

Last edited:

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I usually won't stick around for more than one match anyway. If I meet up with someone who is, as the young, hip folk would say, "2ez4me," then they just aren't worth my time, and conversely, if I find someone who 2-stocks me effortlessly, then I'm hardly learning anything or having any semblance of fun while playing them, so I'll leave. That, and I usually don't like playing multiple 1v1 matches with the same person anyway.
I seem to have the same difficulty to find fun in Smash. Someone who 2 stocks you when you try your best, it can become heavily discouraging and irritating. For the most part, irritating. You can try going at it over and over, but it can have the possibility of unraveling itself more and more into a nightmare.

I try to go in with a cool head and not panic, although that can relatively be hard to do. Well the latter anyway.

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
As a general rule I'll keep going at least a few matches, no matter the skill level of the person I'm playing, but If I find myself getting too bored (if I'm better) or frustrated frustrated (If I'm worse) I'll back out after a while. I like to learn, but if it isn't fun I don't want to keep going.

Saucen

Bruh
NNID
FangMaGuoLai
I usually try and do a Bo3 with everyone unless they leave. If they're much better than me I'll normally stick around until they leave.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I tend to go three rounds if it's a completely demoralizing match where I'm getting bodied and it's work to win and keep up. So two rounds with a secondary and one with my main (or one round secondary and two with my main). I mean there's just some matchups that I can't win so I won't stick around for say ten matches where I'm getting completely destroyed to finally then be all, 'Oh I guess I really can't beat them haha!'

And usually by a certain amount of loses in a row, the play style of all my characters just blend into this one aggressive style because of the whole anxiousness to get in one win from getting bodied. So yeah if it's a chore to beat them with my main I'll say my GGs after three rounds instead of bothering cycling through my other list of characters to see them get bodied as well lol. That'd be even more demoralizing haha.

But if it's a pretty challenging match where our skills are pretty even and it's a take one round, lose one round type of thing and we're having fun cycling through different chars/matchups then I tend to stay longer, especially when the person is pretty chill in the tags and isn't acting massively cocky during the match or something.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Yes. You learn more from losing than from winning, after all. Unless the player is good to the point I get completely bodied.

Last edited:
Top Bottom