• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your worst matchups?

Fugibean

Smash Cadet
LINK
with the damn projectile spam. It is really hard for me to get around with DDD's slow speed. But, in general I struggle against ranged characters.

Drunkinsnail

Smash Rookie
So, I've played some pretty high level people for most characters and more than the Sheiks and Diddys and Sonics or what have you, I have a ridiculously hard time against Luigi. Fool keeps me out like I aint never seen, combos for days, has a great ledge game... Life is just rough in that matchup. For the time being, I've started picking up ROB as a secondary to deal with some of the less than ideal matchups, but I'd still like some input from people about the matchup. Tips? =O

A-money2121

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the worst matchup I've had is between agile characters and/or campers.

> :4sonic:'s agility leaves me very incompetent for the majority of matches I've had against a good Sonic player... I hardly get opportunities to punish any moves he uses, mainly because they're hard to stop.

A few more speedy characters who deserve honorable mentions:
:4littlemac:, :4sheik: and :4zss:

Those are about the only speedy characters I've had issues with. As mentioned above, campy characters have also brought upon many problems for my :4dedede:.

However,
:4duckhunt: is just about the only campy character who I have trouble defeating. Other than Duck Hunt, other campers aren't really as much of a nuisance. I simply pull out my shield at incoming projectiles while approaching the opponent, continuing the same process again and again and again. The only downside for :4dedede: players is that Gordo toss isn't as reliable against campy characters, thus using melee attacks - and occasionally Gordo toss (if the time is applicable)- is probably the best way to stop these fighters.

Last edited:

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
I think the difficulty with Samus is understandable. She is one of the more projectile heavy characters, and the king loathes projectiles. However, you can always take advantage of her floatiness and outclass her in the air.

I personally have a hard time against Sonic, ZSS and Ness. Yup, this coming from a Ness main themselves. Camping Links and Villagers aren't fun either.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Even bad Samus's can be annoying.

She has more mobility than us, so she can run away, spam, run away, spam.

For most characters, that's not a big deal-just a bad noob to punish, even if they are annoyed by it. Against Dedede, it's actually an effective strat on some stages.

Last edited:

AlextheTwin

Smash Cadet
I've had problems with Zero Suit lately. HATE that character. Her bread and butter stun gun grab or grab --> dthrow ---> up B is stupidly easy to connect against DDD. And that combo is super powerful and I am pretty sure there is no way to DI out of it. Got to be super careful to not get grabbed. Also her Up B can kill DDD early. I get so frustrated because ZSS can just repeat that same 3 move sequence over and over and it's so hard to deal with because DDD is such a big, slow target.

And I've always had issues with good Ness players and continue to. His lightning can abuse DDD's slow air speed. Plus with DDD being slow he's susceptible to being grabbed...and Ness's Bthrow kills stupidly early. Also he can space us well with PK fire...pretty sure it has a longer range than DDD's Ftilt.

I think I get so frustrated with these 2 characters because they are the only two that have a paralyzing projectile and I hate not being able to move.

Last edited:

manueluno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
manolonoe
Try DIing towards her or jumping above her, maybe the last kick won't connect.

Also, air dodge while she is hitting you.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
Sonic, no doubt it's not even a question, I actually have no clue how to fight him with dedede, I really need help with that match ups, it seems impossible but I know it can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F98vibw6mg

This is the Sonic I fought and got beaten by, I had so much trouble with him, though managed to get a stock off him. He shielded or spindashed at every gordo perfectly, and he punished my inhales which work on most people.

Any advice?

Last edited:

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
I think the difficulty with Samus is understandable. She is one of the more projectile heavy characters, and the king loathes projectiles. However, you can always take advantage of her floatiness and outclass her in the air.

I personally have a hard time against Sonic, ZSS and Ness. Yup, this coming from a Ness main themselves. Camping Links and Villagers aren't fun either.
Campy Sonic's are such a pain, and spindash cancelling makes it so confusing

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
For Ness, I find hanging in the air around 120 degrees above him as much as possible helps. Mix up your landings, and try to anticipate and dodge PK Thunder. This way, he'll struggle to grab or PK Fire you, has trouble Uairing or Fairing you, but you can still keep an offensive presence. Throw in a utilt Gordo for further spacing. Keep him struggling to hit you, and then take advantage of any openings.

Last edited:

3bubby

Smash Rookie
R.O.B. gives me the hardest time. His gyro can deflect dtilts and gordos, and he excels in aerial combat.

If you have any advice for fighting R.O.B., let me know!

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
My worst MU I can now say for sure is Sonic, played an extremely good and one of the highest ranked Sonic's on Smashladder, and it went pretty bad for me, I got beaten pretty badly though got him to the last stock , I felt pretty lucky even doing that :L Wen't Diddy and took 2 games off him so I'm giving up on the Sonic MU for Dedede lol it's just too difficult, Sonic beats Dedede in every way except for D3 being able to possibly wall him out, it's not worth the effort, you have to outplay him in every way and play perfect IMO. If anyone has any advice for this MU please tell me

Mighty Moose

Smash Cadet
Ryu, Lucas, ZSS, Falcon, Sheik. Speed and/or zoning and/or combos mess my Dedede up bad.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
Any projectile heavy character, really.

I'm not as afraid of characters like zss, sonic, or sheik. Sure, they're fast and can combo D3 pretty easily, but:

-they dont have the strongest kill moves
-D3 is a fatty with amazing recovery
-they're all lightweights, and D3 loves lightweights

I can kill them faster than they can kill me, at lower percents (especially with rage), and with stronger moves. They also cant really challenge D3 when above him, thanks to his upair. Getting hit at 70% or more with that upair? Forget about it.

Biogoji

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1306-4994-7436
Both versions of Samus can go to hell, No matter how much of a try hard I be and how much damage I do, I can never KO Samus before she takes me out and what makes this worse is that one of my best friends mains Samus and is very good at it.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
LUIGI- dthrow.

Samus- pew pew

TL- rather than link because bomb recatch stuff is a lot harder to play against than natural projectiles.

VILLAGER- bowling ball beats up b.... what is life

SONIC- how to stop the spin, and how to react to spin- shield, and how to catch a speeding blur

Those are the ones i personally struggle with. Sheik I've been doing well against, pretty much if I get the first stock, the game is mine.

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
Sonic is my nightmare, I'm just to slow.
Also his spin dash sounds make my ears hurt, no kidding I have this weird complicated-named problem in my right ear that make certain high pitched slightly hurt.

Anyway, how do I deal with a GOOD Sonic? I just can't seem to punish him.

jaddasroots

Smash Rookie
NNID
jaddasbranch
For me it's mainly the speedy characters (Sonic, Sheik, Diddy) and projectile users (Samus, Link) and then both combined (Toon Link) that give me trouble. Rosaluma is super hard for me too. Also fighters who are good at juggling, like Pit/DPit, Lucas, Ness give me a bit of trouble until I can get down. Dedede has an awful time against jugglers since he's so huge, but his recovery makes up for it since he cant really juggled far offstage without making it back.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
I'm still new, but I feel like Shiek was my worst MU because I was easily able to be juggled. I worked with my Jumps to avoid it, but currently idk what I can do vs her. I'll read around here and see what I can do.

Top Bottom