• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your tech diet and you.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
I just added moon walk>LC Nayru's and hax dash inside an orbiting Din's Fire to my training regimen of obscure niche Zelda tech. What makes your Zelda unique? What do you when you train? Do you practice AGT's? Do you use smoke balls or Elf's teleport build to track your teleports? Zelda may be a slow character but she still requires precession, which is a tech skill in itself. We still need to practice.

noobftw

Smash Cadet
I usually just practice regular things like wavelanding, ledge dashing, options out of shield, and shield dropping. I haven't tried to use the orbiting din's into my gameplay yet because I'm focusing more on movement and understanding how to approach certain characters. Although I do practice autocancel up airs for fun when I'm bored. When learning to teleport I found that just playing helped the most. Although I do have elf's teleport if I want to practice it.
In terms of tech skill I don't think it's where it will help me improve more. I think understanding what to do and getting out of it and how to edgeguard certain characters is what will make me improve the most. Although I still have a long way to go imo.

Last edited:

Luis Alonso

Smash Journeyman
I've already mastered AGT and glide tosses with Zelda to combat characters like Diddy Kong and ROB a while ago. I also regularly use moon walks with Zelda...as obscure as that may seem.

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
One of my favorite things to practice in terms of tech skill that I don't really see other Zeldas do often (except maybe Zhime) is WL off a platform and B-reverse LC Nayru before hitting the ground. I practice this with both forward and backward WLs, since you need to hit the stick in opposite directions for each case. It's fantastic for baiting opponents, and in combination with your normal wavelands and teleports it diversifies your platform movement options to help make you tricky and unpredictable. It can also be used to nail an opponent camping under a platform on which you happen to be sitting. Sure, it's situational, but I've found plenty of uses for it. After a month or so, I can now do this reliably without thinking about which way I have to hit the stick and it's an integral part of my platform movement.

Something else I've been practicing (I'm not great at it yet) which I see Zhime do all the time is SH Fair/Bair -> B-reverse LC Nayru. The inputs are tricky to time, but it seems pretty useful (Zhime mostly uses it for shield pressure and to escape opponents after whiffing a sweetspot on Fair or Bair). I've also been working on shield drops, but I'm not consistent with those yet either.

In addition to that, I drill teleshorts from offstage to sweetspot the ledge (insanely useful), orbital Dins, and on occasion, I practice AGTs (I can do normal AGTs without much trouble, but I still struggle with instant AGT).

noobftw

Smash Cadet
One of my favorite things to practice in terms of tech skill that I don't really see other Zeldas do often (except maybe Zhime) is WL off a platform and B-reverse LC Nayru before hitting the ground. I practice this with both forward and backward WLs, since you need to hit the stick in opposite directions for each case. It's fantastic for baiting opponents, and in combination with your normal wavelands and teleports it diversifies your platform movement options to help make you tricky and unpredictable. It can also be used to nail an opponent camping under a platform on which you happen to be sitting. Sure, it's situational, but I've found plenty of uses for it. After a month or so, I can now do this reliably without thinking about which way I have to hit the stick and it's an integral part of my platform movement.

Something else I've been practicing (I'm not great at it yet) which I see Zhime do all the time is SH Fair/Bair -> B-reverse LC Nayru. The inputs are tricky to time, but it seems pretty useful (Zhime mostly uses it for shield pressure and to escape opponents after whiffing a sweetspot on Fair or Bair). I've also been working on shield drops, but I'm not consistent with those yet either.

In addition to that, I drill teleshorts from offstage to sweetspot the ledge (insanely useful), orbital Dins, and on occasion, I practice AGTs (I can do normal AGTs without much trouble, but I still struggle with instant AGT).
Ooh I like that. I started practicing both of the b verse naryu tricks you mentioned. Also are you trying to do the consistent method of shield dropping or just trying to get the right angle? Also what moves are you trying to do off of a shield drop? I'm still trying to figure that part out.

Luis Alonso

Smash Journeyman
Why do shield drops when you can do up-b or upsmash out of shield? Those are great, fast options for Zelda if she's not fighting a perfect waveshine Fox/ Falco.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Why do shield drops when you can do up-b or upsmash out of shield? Those are great, fast options for Zelda if she's not fighting a perfect waveshine Fox/ Falco.
what moves are you trying to do off of a shield drop? I'm still trying to figure that part out.
Shield dropping is faster than both of those options but it isn't strictly better. Up special and up smash OoS are both high commitment moves, and if someone is spacing just outside of your shield or out of shield grab range you won't hit them and you'll be stuck in the animation. If ou use up smash OoS too much your oponent will scout it out and bait you into it. Farore's Wind lets you get out of pressure but it only has 2 active frames on it's grounded ribbon hit box.

You can do any aerial out of a shield drop and shield drops have no lag where OoS options have 4 frames for every option due to jump squat. Shield drop>rising nair is a good place to start.

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
Ooh I like that. I started practicing both of the b verse naryu tricks you mentioned. Also are you trying to do the consistent method of shield dropping or just trying to get the right angle? Also what moves are you trying to do off of a shield drop? I'm still trying to figure that part out.
I think shield dropping could be useful to punish someone who's pressuring you from under a platform (for example, a Roy or Link who has just Usmashed your shield or someone who's trying to shark you with SHFFL Uairs) You can immediately shield drop after the move ends and punish with Nair or a Kick, depending on where they are relative to you. I'm not consistent enough with it yet to try it in matches though. I keep spotdodging by accident.

Last edited:

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Why do shield drops when you can do up-b or upsmash out of shield?
Those two options only cover on or above Zelda, whereas shield dropping lets you cover opponents pressuring Zelda below her. A good example would be Marth's utilt.

OoS options have 4 frames for every option due to jump squat
Usmash and upb OoS cancel the jump squat frames, so they really are fast OoS options.

Last edited:

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Usmash and upb OoS cancel the jump squat frames, so they really are fast OoS options.
Really? I always thought that all OoS options that required a jump were delayed by the number of frames in the character's jump squat. If you're correct then it's only the case with WD OoS, my b. Up smash OoS and Farore's OoS are still super good options, especially with Zelda's high traction, but you should use them sparingly if your opponent isn't over committing their approaches on your shield.

EDIT: Nayru's Love OoS seems hella underutilized.

Last edited:

luxingo

Smash Journeyman
Really? I always thought that all OoS options that required a jump were delayed by the number of frames in the character's jump squat. If you're correct then it's only the case with WD OoS, my b. Up smash OoS and Farore's OoS are still super good options, especially with Zelda's high traction, but you should use them sparingly if your opponent isn't over committing their approaches on your shield.

EDIT: Nayru's Love OoS seems hella underutilized.
Yep, and it makes sense from a design perspective since they don't expect players to press A at exactly the same frame as up if they're doing an upsmash.

Naryu's OoS might not appear much because the fastest one has a hitbox out at frame 14 (adding the jump squat frames) and that's not land-cancelable.

noobftw

Smash Cadet
@vritriform https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsl03HJ_LTU
This is a good watch if you want a consistent way. This is how I'm learning how to shield drop so far while practicing it's not too bad. Although I don't think I'm in the application phase of it yet. And I also agree with the idea of shield dropping under platform pressure which is why I want to learn it.

Also Crow idk naryu's OOS doesn't have invincibility frames anymore on start up either so it can get hit out of during start up. I think upsmash out of shield is great. I'll get to practicing farore's out of shield as well.

Oh another tech thing I've been practicing is teching when teleporting from below. Since you can buffer the tech during the up b since you have a lot of time. I don't think it's extremely useful since it's a rare thing but it seems good to live longer.

Luis Alonso

Smash Journeyman
One super awesome technique I've kinda realize is actually pretty damn punishable is attempting a horizontal telecancel while recovering.

Turns out, people somehow always manage to hit me hard every time I nail it, making each success a sad moment. Very sad moment. :(

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
One super awesome technique I've kinda realize is actually pretty damn punishable is attempting a horizontal telecancel while recovering.

Turns out, people somehow always manage to hit me hard every time I nail it, making each success a sad moment. Very sad moment. :(
It's mostly because people, Melee players specifically, have gotten used to being prepared for such an option because of how Fox and Falco platform cancel their phantasms. If you want to stay unpredictable teleport either into them or directly to the ledge. If you're at the right height to telecancel on a platform's edge you're at the perfect angle for both those options as well.

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
In light of some discussions I've been having with 4tlas in the Zelda video thread about the merits of basic, but careful play, I wanted to share a somewhat unusual training exercise. On occasion, when I play friendlies, I'll challenge myself to deliberately avoid using the L button (which I use for all of my WDs, WLs, and L-cancels). It forces me to focus more on timing and spacing things correctly in the first place, since whiffs are more dangerous without these movement options, and it increases my reliance on reads, observation, and situational awareness to make up the tech skill gap. It makes me consider every place where a WD/WL would assist my gameplay, and shows me why they would be good options in the situations that I identify. Most of all, it helps me find mistakes that are otherwise hidden under the guise of high APM. I always find that I learn something new when I do this, and it makes me a stronger player for it when I finally re-integrate my tech skill.

tl;dr, I sometimes do a weird training exercise in friendlies where I try to find holes in my fundamentals by completely removing ATs from my gameplay for brief periods of time.

Last edited:

4tlas

Smash Lord

I do this sometimes and my opponents NEVER expect it. Remember you can cancel at any point so just don't cancel in their face! And if it looks like they might punish it, cancel just above ledge and you can drop to it and grab it. Zelda grabs ledge during her entire turnaround animation upon leaving teleport, so you have plenty of time.

In light of some discussions I've been having with 4tlas in the Zelda video thread about the merits of basic, but careful play, I wanted to share a somewhat unusual training exercise. On occasion, when I play friendlies, I'll challenge myself to deliberately avoid using the L button (which I use for all of my WDs, WLs, and L-cancels). It forces me to focus more on timing and spacing things correctly in the first place, since whiffs are more dangerous without these movement options, and it increases my reliance on reads, observation, and situational awareness to make up the tech skill gap. It makes me consider every place where a WD/WL would assist my gameplay, and shows me why they would be good options in the situations that I identify. Most of all, it helps me find mistakes that are otherwise hidden under the guise of high APM. I always find that I learn something new when I do this, and it makes me a stronger player for it when I finally re-integrate my tech skill.

tl;dr, I sometimes do a weird training exercise in friendlies where I try to find holes in my fundamentals by completely removing ATs from my gameplay for brief periods of time.
Thats brilliant. It also reminds me of some advice I give newer players who don't understand why I beat them without ATs. I analyze a video of them playing and ask "why did you do that" every time they pick an explicit option that I don't see a point in. For example, I see a LOT of people immediately dash dance away from their opponent upon starting a match or returning to neutral when their opponent could not feasibly have hit them nor when they need the momentum (like on Falcon) to approach from distance. They wavedash but they aren't DOING anything with it. Their normal run would be better in a lot of cases! They jump to catch up to an aerial opponent and then get hit (because aerials can't clank) when they could just wait for the opponent to come back down!

Purposely playing without them when you're used to using them is a good way to recognize exactly when you needed them and when they're just fluff that complicates things and distracts you from basic, smart play. I'll spread this one around!

Last edited:

Shucklin

Smash Rookie
I practice mostly telecancel stuff and just zip around the stage. Side note since people brought up zhime, how does he do the insane momentum shifts with nayru? It seems like a B reverse/wavebounce, but whenever I do it I never move nearly as far. I think I accidentally did it with farore's as well.

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
I practice mostly telecancel stuff and just zip around the stage. Side note since people brought up zhime, how does he do the insane momentum shifts with nayru? It seems like a B reverse/wavebounce, but whenever I do it I never move nearly as far. I think I accidentally did it with farore's as well.
That's called Nayru's Glide. It's done by using Nayru after jumping out of hitstun (sort of like the Love Jump) or by holding a direction for a certain number of frames out of hitstun (I believe it's 17) and then pressing B.

A similar technique (Farore's Boost) can be done through similar means. I'm not that good with Nayru's Glide, but I use Farore's Boost all the time to escape combos.

Last edited:

Shucklin

Smash Rookie
That's called Nayru's Glide. It's done by using Nayru after jumping out of hitstun (sort of like the Love Jump) or by holding a direction for a certain number of frames out of hitstun (I believe it's 17) and then pressing B.

A similar technique (Farore's Boost) can be done through similar means. I'm not that good with Nayru's Glide, but I use Farore's Boost all the time to escape combos.
I'm assuming farore's boost is the same thing but with farore.

Also I swear that Ive seen him use it from the ledge

Vitriform

Smash Apprentice
I'm assuming farore's boost is the same thing but with farore.

Also I swear that Ive seen him use it from the ledge
When he uses Farore from the ledge, he's probably hitting away on the C-stick so he doesn't fast fall. He's not actually doing Farore's Boost there.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Do any of y'all practice on Luigi's Mansion? It's great for understanding double aerials with hitsun involved, and aerial>LCNL. Do any of y'all practice with items on? Banana's for glide tossing for AGT and GT, smart bombs for SDI, soccer balls for ribbon dashing..

noobftw

Smash Cadet
I practice most of my item play already with tink so it transfers over well. Her roll glide toss is definitely better than her aerial glide toss. If you want to catch items that bounce off of people, use the spring!
I don't really practice SDI besides doing it in matches all the time. And I'm still getting around to teching things more often since it doesn't happen that often with Zelda.
love the luigi's idea though I never thought of that.

Luis Alonso

Smash Journeyman
My item game is already immaculate as is, primarily since I play with a Diddy all the time. At this point in time, there's no tech I really need to work on with Zelda, although SH bair -> auto-cancel uair is definitely appealing to me.

Top Bottom