• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Your Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Reviews

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Since some have already gotten the game, figured I could make this now. This is basically the place for users to post their reviews for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.
I'll post mine when I get it.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I don't have the game because the game will release to the rest of the world tomorrow.

0/10

In all seriousness, best timing to state our reviews would be at least when the game actually releases worldwide.

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
In all seriousness, best timing to state our reviews would be at least when the game actually releases worldwide.
But that would be logical. We can't have that on the internet, man.

From what I've seen of Zero and Shofu's streams and the demo I've played, it looks pretty damn solid. My uni's eSports group is holding a little game party on Saturday, so I'll get some good impressions there.

Last edited:

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Gold fish/5
Megaman's gun is useless no first person mode.I want punched in the e face.:003:

Real review coming soon

D

Deleted member

True, but I just saw a LOT of people get the game early on Miiverse, so I figured some people on here did, too.
I saw a lot of Germans with it on miiverse. since it released there a day early. At least the language looked like German

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
is fun

can confirm

online is laggy today tho

all you need to know

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Review:

Firstly, and most importantly, Samurai and co should be commended for the fantastic job they have done. This isn't the half-baked training mode some expected it would be. It looks and plays as crisply as any previous Smash Bros game, a massive technological feat.

Whilst the game's mechanics are seemingly honed to perfection, it should be noted that it feels seemingly devoid of single player content compared to Melee and Brawl - in many ways I wish the game had released later so that we got Adventure Mode, Target Test, and event matches back. In the same vein the Challenges wall is tiny in comparison to Brawl, meaning this may leave you disappointed compared to previous titles. Smash Run is a nice addition of a mode, but is ruined by 3 things - no online multiplayer, horrendously anticlimactic battles at the end of the 5 minutes, and the inability to interact with opponents in the Smash Run map - things that hopefully might be fixed by patch. Continuing in this vein, Smash is also very lacking in its modes this time around - no tournaments, stamina etc. are available.

Conclusion: Smash 3DS is a big step forward as the series first portable edition - all the more the shame that this is nullified by the big steps backward it takes in content that prevent me from giving it the perfect score the gameplay would suggest it deserves.

7/10

Narth

Plox
NNID
nathanrinkster
3DS FC
1736-2381-3285
I've been playing it all day, and a lot of the characters are better than ever. The newcomers are brilliant and bring their own interesting unique taste to Smash. The online is great at times, but for the first day it has been a little choppy at times. The music is amazing, the controls (for me) are perfect, and the feel of the game is amazing. This is a game, even on the 3DS, will last a long time for me. Very happy with how it has turned out.

BenJen

Smash Rookie
I'm glad everyone's enjoying the game on the whole. There's no denying that it's pretty great. I decided to use Smash's release as en excuse to make a (basic) YouTube video...which I'm sure I'll end up regretting. I decided to focus on the negative aspects of the game, as I feel as though anything praiseworthy pretty much goes without saying at this stage.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Alright, here goes (warning: long post):

CHARACTERS:
The competitive balance is definitely more present here, which I enjoy. Broken Meta Knight is no more, and I couldn't be happier. The character selection I am mostly satisfied with. I wish Snake was in the game since I viewed his move-set as unique and fun, even though I was awful at using him. Oh well, you can't have everything in the world. Anyway, aside from the Snake cut, I was fine with the other character cuts. Also, Dr. Mario being back in the series as a playable character brings me great joy :chuckle:. As far as the newcomers go:

:4bowserjr:/:4larry:/:4roy:/:4wendy:/:4iggy:/:4morton:/:4lemmy:/:4ludwig:: Koopalings <3

:4darkpit:: I see him as just a stronger, more cool looking version of Pit. IMO just a clone that I'll never use.

:4duckhunt:: Interesting addition. I do enjoy what this character has in store. I've only played as him once though, so I can't give a solid analysis.

:4greninja:: ...So...much...win...
Alright, I will give a/some reason(s) as to why I love Greninja. He was my starter in Pokemon X and was also my team sweeper. So, I wanted to check him out in this game. So far, I'm liking what I see. He's also one of the faster characters in the roster, and he has solid combo potential. Overall a nice representation of the Pokemon series.

:4wiremac:: I love fast characters with a solid ground game, and Little Mac has both of those qualities. Fun to play overall.

:4lucina:: Almost a 100% replica of Marth. Don't find her to be a solid addition.

:4megaman:: Hyped to see a new third party character. However, I haven't really checked out as much as the others. It is nice to have more roster diversity with the addition of this character.

:4mii:/:4miif:: I don't use the miis. I'm not personally interested in playing as them that much at all. IMO they shouldn't have filled character slots.

:4palutena:: Thought she was gonna be broken when I first saw her promotional video. However, she isn't looking as good as I thought she would be, so this is good. Other than that, I don't really enjoy using her. She is slower than I expected, and characters with slow moves and/or poor mobility don't sit with me well.

:4pacman:: Another new third party to add to the diversity! Excited to play as him more.

:4robinm:/:4robinf:: Very interesting move-set. I have enjoyed playing this character so far.

:rosalina:: Haven't played as her a lot at all, but I am interested in seeing how her metagame will develop.

:4shulk:: I've never played Xenoblade (I know, I need to). However, I like playing as Shulk since I love how when he uses a special move, the Kanji for the move appears behind him (Japanese language FTW).

:4villager:/:4villagerf:: I was honestly excited to see how this character would play out, but unfortunately due to Villager's lack of attack range, I am no longer willing to use Villager that much.

:4wiifit:/:4wiifitm:: I enjoy using the WFT since this character has solid mobility and has combo potential.

As far as the returning veterans go, the picks are overall very solid, as usual.

CHARACTER VERDICT: 9/10

Stages:
As far as the stages go, I enjoy the stage selection overall. I wouldn't mind if more stages were in the game. The selection isn't as expansive as it was in Brawl, and there are certain stages that I miss playing on (R.I.P. Hyrule Temple) I do like most of the returning stages (Jungle Japes and Green Hill Zone in particular) and I also think the new stages are overall solid (Rainbow Road FTW). The main weakness I see is that there aren't as many stages, thus limiting the diversity.

As for other new features, I really enjoy the Final Destination Format/Omega option. As far as I see it, I still play on an overall more fair stage while still having the atmosphere of a certain stage that I like.

STAGE VERDICT: 8/10

Multiplayer:
The standard VS matches are still as fun as ever, but I am also enjoying the Smash Run game. It's an OK mode, but it's not something I play excessively, as the other modes are more well-made. Also, the competition skill balance is nice. Not as fast-paced as Melee (more for Experts) and not as slow as Brawl, either (more casual-oriented). The speed is in the middle, which helps appeal to all player skill levels physics-wise, and I like that quite a lot.

MULTIPLAYER VERDICT: 11/10

Singleplayer:
I miss the classic target smash. I really do. This target blast tom-foolery doesn't sit with me well. I miss the classic format of Target smash that has been a memorable feature ever since 1999. Also, where did the events go? I miss the events :(

On the more positive side, I greatly enjoy the new format of Classic mode. Having multiple paths to choose concerning which character/franchise you would like to fight adds more diversity to the game mode. Also, naming the difficulty levels such as "Effortless", "White Hot" and the like is a small yet fun change from the boring level names (Very Easy, Easy, Medium, etc.). All-Star mode is always welcome in my eyes, so it was nice to see it return. Concerning the format of All-Stars, as far as the change of facing off your opponents by first appearance to latest (timeline format), I don't mind at all. I honestly wouldn't care if Sakurai decided to stay with the classic "franchise" format. Trophy rush is an OK mode too, even though I don't play it often at all.

As far as the other modes go, I am glad to see that they have returned. I enjoy endless smash a lot in particular. It gives me something to do when I'm bored with VS matches.

SINGLEPLAYER VERDICT: 7/10

Extras:
Customized moves are a nice addition to the series in order to introduce more diversity to a character's moveset. I enjoy the custom moves. As far as challenges go, they're pretty lacking here when compared to Brawl. I'm not really impressed with the challenge selection or size in this game.The music selection is nice. I would prefer if there was more ability to customize music, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. I like the music soundtrack, anyway. I am looking foward to the 3DS-WiiU interaction, too! However, on the downside, I hate it when online play lags. :/

However, there is one more strength about this game...

IT'S AVAILABLE ON HANDHELDS!!! :awesome:

EXTRAS VERDICT: 8/10

FINAL VERDICT:
9.5/10
I really enjoy this game overall, and I will continue to play it for a long while. I definitely would recommend to anybody.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
So I was right about not liking Smash Run.
You CAN NOT change the time spent in the campaign nor can you choose how it ends; VS enemies, Race to Finish, etc.

Custom moves are a pain to get unless you engage in the most difficult of challenges in Classic.

Most of the minigames are useless like Trophy Rush and Target Smash.
At least coins have a use this time around.

Challenges are a chore but I'm already done with the first page and just missing two for the second.

That aside the online is PHENOMENAL and playing with friends is worth the solo experience. As is playing regular matches and unlocking characters.

While the most balanced and diverse of the Smash games, I find the game lacking in satisfaction in regards to the 1 player campaign mode. :/

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
This was the thread I was hoping for!

I love this game so much already, despite several major flaws that keep bugging me.

First: the positives. The roster is great. There weren't quite as many secret newcomers as I was hoping, but when we already get so many to start with, I can't really complain. The characters initially seem to be balanced well, with a wide variety of unique play-styles. Say what you want about Sakurai, but the man can really make any character feel special. New characters feel great, and many of the veterans have never played better.

The physics and fighting in general are great as well. As someone who never got crazy good at Melee, but disliked Brawl's floatiness and tripping, this is all I ever wanted. Some players may wish to return to Smash's roots, but I think the gameplay in the fourth installment is the perfect balance between accessible and advanced.

The new content is great. Smash Run is great fun, and fully embraces the best parts of the chaotic nature of Smash. It will never stack up to the versus matches, but honestly, who expected it to? The customization is not quite as deep move-wise as I was hoping, but combining it with stat changes and Miis make custom matches a joy to play. I've only done 1v1 in online, but that is really all I ever wanted. It has been great, even if I wish there were more stage variety.

Stage variety is pretty much my biggest complaint though, and really what keeps me from enjoying this game the most. The stages are pretty much either basic or ridiculously hazardous. Stage bosses are fun for maybe a couple matches, and then proceed to ruin what could have been some great fighting locales. Prism Tower stands as the one example of a stage that is interesting, while still being conducive to intense 1v1 matches. I like some crazy stages, but it becomes a problem when those are the only options outside of FD setups.

Besides that, it is really the missing content that is the biggest blow. Stage Builder, Target Test, and some sort of adventure mode are all missing. In fact, I would trade the two stadium modes from the very first game on the N64 for any stadium mode afterwards. Honestly, Multi-man Smash, Home Run Contest, and Target Blast are nowhere near as engaging as Break the Targets and Board the Platforms ever were.

I don't want to say prematurely that this is my favorite game in my favorite series, but it is certainly a contender. The mis-steps can't shake the fact that the characters and fighting are all excellent. Whether playing a heated match against a rival or a frantic 4 player battle, it feels good and wis going to keep me coming back for a long time.

I would give it an 8.5/10

Top Bottom