• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Name in Japanese(Closed have a wonderful hoiladay see you Jan. 2nd)

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
If you're interested, I could help out with this thread, I also know Japanese.

Doesn't Katakana only work for foreign words and American name? Cuz I just noticed a trend. american names are just based on sound. (For example, my name (Andrew) would be pronounced An-do-ru). However if your a native from Japan, you would normally write your name in Kanji, or Hirigana if your a girl. That's just my theory. I may be wrong. Sorry...
It's not that it doesn't work, it's just primarily used for foreign words and Onomatopoeic words. It theoretically can work in exactly the same situations as hiragana, but it's just not used that way.

However, in some things like product and company names, it's linguistically allowible to pick whether you wish to use Hiriana, Kanji, or Katakana, in which case it's generally chosen based on the impression you wish to give.

Am I joking about you using people's first names to access all their bank accounts and real estate?

No:)
Lol, I'd love to see you pull that off with just a first name.

Now this would be useful:

5324-402343-55555

Too bad it's fake

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
Sonia Eltricia Princess

I have weird last name.

Thats why I have my username called "Princess Sonia"!

Cless

Smash Champion
My name in Japanese:

純平

gg
What is that, Junpei?

xzak, I live about a half an hour away from Scar, and am a car-less person. Now, since I have nothing better to do.

Chase - チェース

Kenneth Henshaw - ケネッス ヘンショール (xzak, you think it should be ケンネッス or ケネッス)

Keith - キース

Seth - セス

Joe - ジョー
Joseph Green - ジョセフ グリーン

Cless

Smash Champion
Sonia Eltricia Princess

I have weird last name.

Thats why I have my username called "Princess Sonia"!
Sonia Eltricia Princess - ソニャ エルトリシャ プリンセス

I dunno, maybe it's my computer, but it won't post when I try to edit in characters or post characters in quick post.

CreamPuffDoom

Smash Apprentice
I just want to say, I would be happy to help out with this thread. I consider my knowledge of Japanese minor to what it could be, but I know all Hiragana and Katakana + know how to read all those characters. I also know how to translate something into Katakana.

Top Bottom