• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your most difficult matchup

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Every character has another that they despise playing against. (mine is sheik) This can be due to a bad matchup, or the fact that you don't know how to counter their very powerful tools. Do you guys have any tips on improving on bad matchups?

Nah

Smash Champion
I play :4robinf::4corrinf:

fighting :4fox: kinda sucks

But anyway, one of things one can do to make a MU go better for you is to learn how to play it: Go to that character's board and ask for tips on how to play the MU. Go find someone who plays that character and (regularly) spar with and get feedback from them.

tho there's a few matchups where there's little you can ever do to make it significantly better

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
For me, it's gotta be Kirby. That little puffball is the bane of Wii Fit's existence.

That said, it depends on the matchup. If it is an issue of just not knowing how the matchup works, then you practice and learn the matchup. However, there are some matchups that it has much less to do with lacking experience and more to do with the character's designs. In those cases, it can often be a better idea to just pick up a secondary. For example, I picked up Mr. Game & Watch as a secondary because he covers many of the matchups that Wii Fit Trainer dislikes (Pikachu, Ness, Mario, etc) and goes even with some of the others (Kirby, Mr. Game & Watch himself)

GLORY12HOUND

Smash Cadet
Shulk because my his stupidly good counter is too good against my attacks and he can out space me.

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
I play Miis, so most matchups (assuming I am playing default size, 1111 moveset) aren't in my favor, but i'll name what I think is the most difficult matchup, at least for me.
---
Swordfighter: Fox, Falcon and/or Sonic since they are extremely fast characters that also have heavy hitters, 2 things Swordfighter isn't. This is compounded even more with Swordfighter's sluggish moveset and bad recovery.
-
Gunner: Sheik probably since the gap between Gunner and Sheik can be closed extremely fast by Shiek's fast movement and combo game. Gunner might be able to wall Sheik out in the neutral somewhat but Gunner's combo game is so limited it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme. However those fair hits might be able to make the Sheik player play maybe a little more aggressive and you could punish, but these opportunities don't come up often, at least not for me.
-
Brawler: Any character that is projectile heavy. Shotput is too slow to be a viable approach option, and Brawler really has no other approaches other than maybe nair or fair, but that's a crapshoot. Brawler is a pretty fast character still so the speed should help out a bit but that is never enough for me at least to not get wrecked at range and stuffing my approaches.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Cloud. Hate that character with a fiery passion in smash 4. Ironically, I'm a huge FF7 fan. But I hate how they translated him into smash, so unfun and frustrating to fight against. Partly because his hitboxes are absurd and partly because of limit camping.

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
As a :4palutena: main, pretty much any of the the top tiers give me trouble, but characters that can easily outrange me like :4cloud: and :4marth: can be pretty frustrating. Cloud is frustrating for obvious reasons, being the not-so-fun character that he is, but since Palutena relies so much on spacing, fighting Marth can be a pain. Additionally, any character that is small (Palu is pretty tall) and lighter (lack of combos) is difficult for me to deal with.

Top Bottom