• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Mind vs. My Games

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
I wanted to have a thread dedicated to say what banana tricks (or mind games in general) to use and when to use them. I'd prefer that this thread not be character specific though. Just post any banana trick you have in mind and I'll put it up for discussion.

Glide-Toss Backward => Short Hop Fair

Glide-Toss Upward => Bait the Air Dodge => Aerial

Glide-Toss Downward => FSmash/DSmash/Tilts/Throw

Dash attack => GT Up-forward => uair/fair

Glide-Toss forward => running u-smash

Glide-Toss Up-Forward => u-grab

SH forward => Throw banana down => Aerial or SHADed grab/attack
(this is really helpful to do out of shield)

2 Banana Play

Backwards glide toss => Forward glide toss => Grab

Double dribble => forward glide toss => toss second banana(no GT here)

Short hop throw banana => forward Glide toss

(O_o)y

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
Dash attack ----> GT Up-foward -----> uair/fair
GT foward -----> running u-smash
GT Up-Foward ----> u-grab
GT down -----> grab

saberhof

Smash Master
if 2 bananas are in play:

Backwards glide toss => Forward glide toss => Grab
Double dribble => forward glide toss => toss second banana(no GT here)
short hop throw banana => forward Glide toss

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
Also short hop peanut cancel ----> w/e, is a fancy mindgame i do sometimes <_>

DFEAR

Smash Hero
z dropping> z catch> repeat> glide toss>profit
dtilt>glide toss > profit
backwards glide toss> pivot grab>profit
arial to catch banana> glide toss
crouching>profit
just standing there>profit

Bellioes

Smash Lord
SH forward> Throw banana down> Aerial or SHADed grab/attack depending on what the opponent does in reaction.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
Okay, I'm really glad to see the number of people that have replied to this thread.
Two things really, 1. The Wichita crew meets up every Wednesday so I will not be able to update this tonight, I do appreciate the amount of responses it has received already though. 2. What does profit mean?

[I will do this as soon as I can, again, SORRY! It seemed like a good idea though.]

[[I think we will discuss situation for the mind games after I get them all posted up]]

(O_o)y

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I think it just started as a joke. When people say profit, it just means that if the mindgame worked, your opponent made a mistake and you should capitalize on it. Another word for profit; follow-up or punish maybe??

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Okay, I'm really glad to see the number of people that have replied to this thread.
Two things really, 1. The Wichita crew meets up every Wednesday so I will not be able to update this tonight, I do appreciate the amount of responses it has received already though. 2. What does profit mean?

[I will do this as soon as I can, again, SORRY! It seemed like a good idea though.]

[[I think we will discuss situation for the mind games after I get them all posted up]]

(O_o)y
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Profit

WARNING don't go to that link if you're not at least 70

DFEAR

Smash Hero
I think it just started as a joke. When people say profit, it just means that if the mindgame worked, your opponent made a mistake and you should capitalize on it. Another word for profit; follow-up or punish maybe??
exactly...

>you quote the post
>you answered the quote
>???
>profit

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
FH Banana Pluck ----> Monkey Flip kick into opponent -----> immediately follow with uair

i do this.. sometimes the uair makes them hi into the banana, looks pretty fresh imo >_>

DUB

Smash Lord
If opponent is going to air dodge into the ground dribble a naner where they would land and begin to charge a smash. Good for kills, and this opportunity comes up quite frequently.

This one works good, probably universally known though.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
z dropping> z catch> repeat> glide toss>profit
dtilt>glide toss > profit
backwards glide toss> pivot grab>profit
arial to catch banana> glide toss
It seems as though I need situations for all of these; when I picture them I don't see anything developing from this.

Dash attack ----> GT Up-foward -----> uair/fair
GT Up-Foward ----> u-grab
For your first situation, I'm assuming you mean that after the dash attack you will have picked up the banana, then you throw the banana? If so I think this can lead to more than just aerials, but good job.
Second point, what is a u-grab?

SH forward> Throw banana down> Aerial or SHADed grab/attack depending on what the opponent does in reaction.
SHADed?

SH > Popgun > Dash forward > DA Peanut pickup > ??? > profit
Peanut pickup? You mean to run and actually catch the peanut? O.o

FH Banana Pluck ----> Monkey Flip kick into opponent -----> immediately follow with uair
SH banana pluck? I also need you to paint a bigger picture for me...what direction to you flip, how far away are they? etc

I think we should go into discussion with specific situations soon so they aren't just a list of moves, but actually go in depth. I will also begin to organize this by direction (i.e. Glide-Toss forward/downward/upward).

Sorry this took so long.

(O_o)y

Coyn3Masta

Smash Journeyman
lol sorry for not being specific <_>
For your first situation, I'm assuming you mean that after the dash attack you will have picked up the banana, then you throw the banana? If so I think this can lead to more than just aerials, but good job.
Your assumption is correct xP

Second point, what is a u-grab?
i meant you glide toss the banana up, and slide toward the opponent (assuming you are relatively close). After the GT, having this put you in grabbing distance of the opponent and throwing him up into the banana. doesn't do too much but i think it looks pretty kool <_>, you can also pluck another banana at that moment if you only have one out.

SH banana pluck? I also need you to paint a bigger picture for me...what direction to you flip, how far away are they? etc
actually i think i didnt mean to type this... i think i mixed this up with something else i was gonna type, my bad

Also look at around 1:22 in this match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT9XvwxAF8M&feature=related
i shielded the banana, caught it, z-dropped, and as soon as it hit the ground i picked it up with a dash attack. That might be useful.. though i failed to follow it up in the vid.

DFEAR

Smash Hero
It seems as though I need situations for all of these; when I picture them I don't see anything developing from this.
actually those are general mindgames that work in every situations xD.

z catching and z dropping can be done anywhere :3 at any time.

you can dtilt anytime lol its just another attack option then follow up with a glide toss than the usual grab.

bacward glide tossing into pivot grab works wonders if you want to get that desired throw direction, its only situational because you have to be next to ur opponent, its great for spot dodge contests.

arial catching is another option to catching a banana and at the same time it can attack such as using OoS Bair to catch a banana next to u AND hit your opponent then you can follow up and chase with a glide toss.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Short hop and air dodge on the way down. During the air dodges, buffer a grab or an attack and itll come out at the exact frame possible (eliminating human error) Also your invincible on the way down to the ground making it harder to punish.

It goes like this. You short hop towards your opponent. Spacies will most likely shine but most other characters will just shield. You throw the banana down (your opponent will be caught in a shine or a shield.) If they try its a spacy, just Fair. If theyre shielding, mix it up between a SHADed grab or smash/jab/tilt/ whatever you want. Its real versatile and you can even just through the banana during the SH if your opponent catches on.

fource

Smash Lord
NNID
LeThienWasMyHero
actually those are general mindgames that work in every situations xD.

z catching and z dropping can be done anywhere :3 at any time.

you can dtilt anytime lol its just another attack option then follow up with a glide toss than the usual grab.

bacward glide tossing into pivot grab works wonders if you want to get that desired throw direction, its only situational because you have to be next to ur opponent, its great for spot dodge contests.
Kk, I guess I didn't mean mind games as literal as you interpreted [[for you first two examples at least]].
The pivot grab is still throwing me off; when I picture this if the banana hits it's better just to grab and if the banana is GTed away from the opponent than the distance is too much to pivot grab? Maybe I am interpreting this wrong?
Your 4th point is fine.

Short hop and air dodge on the way down. During the air dodges, buffer a grab or an attack and itll come out at the exact frame possible (eliminating human error) Also your invincible on the way down to the ground making it harder to punish.

It goes like this. You short hop towards your opponent. Spacies will most likely shine but most other characters will just shield. You throw the banana down (your opponent will be caught in a shine or a shield.) If they try its a spacy, just Fair. If theyre shielding, mix it up between a SHADed grab or smash/jab/tilt/ whatever you want. Its real versatile and you can even just through the banana during the SH if your opponent catches on.
Oh, this is fine; however, after you throw the banana down, it does not hit the opponent right? So if they release their shield, fair obviously. However, you say that if they hold onto shield, to SHAD, wouldn't it just be easier to grab right away?
[[This is similar to what Alpha Zealot brought up; you can monkey flip and drop the banana right before landing]]

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Oh, this is fine; however, after you throw the banana down, it does not hit the opponent right? So if they release their shield, fair obviously.However, you say that if they hold onto shield, to SHAD, wouldn't it just be easier to grab right away?
[[This is similar to what Alpha Zealot brought up; you can monkey flip and drop the banana right before landing]]
Yes thats what I was saying. The SHAD makes it so that you grab as soon as possible
You SH, throw the banana down and read your opponents reaction. They usually keep their shield up so you AD on the way down from the SH into a buffered grab (you input the grab during the AD). You dont SH to air dodge again when you land cause that would be too slow.
Also, you dont just have to grab. People usually wait till you land before they try to shieldgrab. So surprise them with SHADed attacks. Jabs and Utilts work the best IMO but Dtilts work well too. Smashes are a little more risky but Ive killed people with a SHADed Fsmash before.

Top Bottom