• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your health and Smash Bros.

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
In a different topic, someone mentioned "Smash Fatigue," where once somebody becomes tired, they start to dip on their performance, and make silly mistakes. That's fine and normal; you can just get some rest and play better when you're more awake. But... What about when someone is "tired" all the time because of an underlying problem?

Take myself as the first example. I always wondered why I feel have so much trouble concentrating all the time, and why my consistency in playing seems to dip so often. There are one or two days I feel better and do very well, but most days I become flustered at the fast movements and go autopilot easily.

Recently I learned I have a breathing disorder that leads to Upper Airway Resistance; another form of a famous condition called Sleep Apnea. It leads to me having reallllly fragmented sleep, and also affects me while awake too depending on my posture. It certainly sends my anxiety through the roof - who wouldn't be afraid if their breathing was compromised, yeah? The important thing though is that it means I don't get productive sleep, I have a lot to worry about in the day in terms of my health, so I have a lot on my mind when I go to relax and play some Smash.

It's a bit of a vicious circle really - I play Smash to get my mind off the illness, but the illness is affecting my performance! I was wondering if anyone else has a similar situation, not necessarily with a sleep disorder, but with anything at all that has a negative impact on their health: even simple things like the common cold or broken bones. Or perhaps Smash helps you take your mind off your health, but your health doesn't affect your performance? :)

You don't have to disclose your health condition if you don't want to, I must stress that!!

Last edited:

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Nah, it happens, sometimes you are good at Smash, and then one time you mess up a lot. Also playing a lot of matches with a spamming player on FG not only drains your skill, but also give you Smash fatigue.

Smash can actually train your brain reaction and comprehension, however, if you are a student like me that needs to focus on class and relationships, better not to play Smash at the time when you are about to test. Playing real sports helps too.

Last edited:

MapleWooD

Smash Journeyman
Smash fatigue is more commonly referred to as "tilt" in other game. You realize you've begun to play badly, but can't seem to focus enough to get past it, especially if it's something extra disrespectful.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I have OCD, which can manifest on a whim in the middle of a match.

Kind of difficult to concentrate on the game when I begin to wonder about how many times I have to touch the ground before I can jump.

D

Deleted member

I became really sick the past few months and my performance in Smash has really reflected on it. The sicker and more tired I got the less I played. Now I've been feeling a lot better but I play the game quite horribly now and became rusty due to lack of play. I just hope I'm able to get back where I was before I got sick.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Dysthymia really impacts my ability to enjoy playing any time any negative emotion pops up, since it kinda just sticks. Missed play, opponent who's a bad sport, lag, whatever, I just enter a spiral of not wanting to play until I eventually just stop playing.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It's actually quite common for me, especially when I play Smash every weekend during the morning time after work rather than just going straight to bed. That's about to change soon.

Top Bottom