• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your Favorite Philosopher/Philosopher You Most Agree With & Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
Simply put, who is your greatest philosophical influence, or your favorite philosopher? Feel free to present & argue opposing viewpoints ITT.

As for myself, I'd have to say Cornelius Van Til. If you haven't heard of him, he was a Christian reformed theologian and apologist who developed a new brand of apologetics based off of Calvinism, known as presuppositional apologetics. I think his criticism of anti-theistic reasoning is unrightfully dismissed by much of secular philosophy.

snex

Smash Master
van til is a complete hack and a joke to anybody who takes the time to read his silly arguments. the great (so to speak) thing about theology and philosophy is that complete hacks and jokes like him can succeed in those fields because there is no objective standard by which to judge them.

my favorite philosopher is socrates, because unlike every other complete joke in the field, he admits to knowing nothing.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
van til is a complete hack and a joke to anybody who takes the time to read his silly arguments. the great (so to speak) thing about theology and philosophy is that complete hacks and jokes like him can succeed in those fields because there is no objective standard by which to judge them.

my favorite philosopher is socrates, because unlike every other complete joke in the field, he admits to knowing nothing.
Interesting view. The Van Tillian response is that there is no objective standard other than God to judge anything, and as such nothing is knowable outside God's common grace. Van Til himself would probably admit to knowing nothing that he did not already presuppose to be true, thus his idea of dependent certainty.

snex

Smash Master
Interesting view. The Van Tillian response is that there is no objective standard other than God to judge anything, and as such nothing is knowable outside God's common grace. Van Til himself would probably admit to knowing nothing that he did not already presuppose to be true, thus his idea of dependent certainty.
its just another of the endless variations of the argument of ignorance. "i cant understand how x makes sense, therefore the magical and superstitious things that are prominently believed in my society are true."

its complete BS no matter what you fill in for "x"

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play

I have a question for you snex. I've not read much (just The Republic) but since Socrates never wrote anything and it's easily arguable that Plato used Socrates as a character to express his own ideals how can one tell the difference between the two?

Another words, there is clearly a difference between the preachings of Plato and Aristotle, but is there one between Socrates and Plato? When you say Socrates is your favorite philosopher, would me saying Plato is my favorite philosopher be any different?

Just curious...

-blazed

snex

Smash Master
plato is definitely distinguishable from socrates. plato believed in a heaven of sorts where the "essences" of objects existed. socrates just went around annoying people with questions that showed how silly their philosophies were.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Michel Foucault's conceptualization of biopolitics and power structures always struck a chord with me, as well as Judith Butler's idea of gender and sexual stereotypes and how to break them down via humor.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
its just another of the endless variations of the argument of ignorance. "i cant understand how x makes sense, therefore the magical and superstitious things that are prominently believed in my society are true."

its complete BS no matter what you fill in for "x"
Not really. Van Til criticises the Christian apologists that say "You must believe in God because the universe couldn't have existed otherwise", saying that this argument concedes that anti-theistic presuppositions about human autonomy and ultimate authority to judge God are valid.

His argument isn't based on the natural world's being impossible to exist absent God; in fact, Van Til says that it's technically possible for the natural world to have come into existence by chance. Van Til's argument has more to do with epistemology and how anti-theistic worldviews are incapable of creating a consistent theory of knowledge.

snex

Smash Master
Not really. Van Til criticises the Christian apologists that say "You must believe in God because the universe couldn't have existed otherwise", saying that this argument concedes that anti-theistic presuppositions about human autonomy and ultimate authority to judge God are valid.

His argument isn't based on the natural world's being impossible to exist absent God; in fact, Van Til says that it's technically possible for the natural world to have come into existence by chance. Van Til's argument has more to do with epistemology and how anti-theistic worldviews are incapable of creating a consistent theory of knowledge.
exactly like i said... van til cant see how a non-theistic worldview is capable of creating a consistent theory of knowledge, therefore the superstitions he learned as a kid must be true.

its the SAME argument from ignorance. van til's inability to see how non-theistic worldviews can create a consistent theory of knowledge is only an argument for van til's ignorance, and nothing else.

cF=)

Smash Lord
Michel Onfray's hedonistic view on human rights is something I find quite inspiring. He demolishes metaphysical zealots and is probably the best example of a modern philosopher using his talent on today's bioethics issues.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
exactly like i said... van til cant see how a non-theistic worldview is capable of creating a consistent theory of knowledge, therefore the superstitions he learned as a kid must be true.

its the SAME argument from ignorance. van til's inability to see how non-theistic worldviews can create a consistent theory of knowledge is only an argument for van til's ignorance, and nothing else.
There's a difference between "I can't see how knowledge is possible without God" and Van Til's argument, which is that if the universe is a pure product of undesigned chance, there is no universal basis for claiming to know anything. If man is the final interpreter of the world, he cannot speak with conclusive (exhaustive, if you will) knowledge about any part of it, since he cannot know everything there is to know about any one thing, and since everyone's interpretation of the facts is, in some way, different.

Thus, the only consistent non-theistic theory of knowledge is that it is impossible; in other words, perspectivism or relativism. With God as creator and interpretor of the world, however, all the rules change. Since man's interpretation of the world is superseded by God's exhaustive knowledge, there must be a completely true interpretation of the facts out there. We as humans do not and cannot know for ourselves this exhaustive interpretation; thus Van Til's idea of dependent certainty.

Van Til admits that the perspectivist world is technically possible, but it and a God-created-and-interpreted world are the only possibilities. Any theory that allows for true human knowledge outside of a universal principle like God stands on borrowed principles and is internally inconsistent, hence his criticism of most anti-theistic worldviews.

snex

Smash Master
that is still an argument from ignorance. he is drawing conclusions about what he thinks must exist based on his inability to understand something.

the irony of this is astounding.. van til is claiming to have knowledge of a magical being precisely BECAUSE he has no such knowledge. talk about inconsistency!

presuppositionalism was developed because no decent arguments for god exist, and there are many decent arguments against him existing. presuppositionalism attempts to short circuit the entire argument by saying "a-HA! you used logic to prove god doesnt exist, therefore a god must exist to sustain logic." while this may resonate with the flock, it is a self-defeating argument. if a god must exist to sustain logic, then the logical proof that god doesnt exist must be true.

regarding epistemology: if you check out the thread about "how can anybody believe in god" youll see my discussion of how epistemology is perfectly possible without "true" knowledge.

yossarian22

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm...

Immanuel Kant, mostly because of how dramatically he changed Western philosophy. I like Nietzsche, but his papers are glaringly inconsistent and he jumps from assumption to assumption.

Van Til runs into problems if I reject objectivity as a coherent notion and suggest that the only thing that exists is inter-subjectivity.

verditude

Smash Journeyman
that is still an argument from ignorance. he is drawing conclusions about what he thinks must exist based on his inability to understand something.

the irony of this is astounding.. van til is claiming to have knowledge of a magical being precisely BECAUSE he has no such knowledge. talk about inconsistency!

presuppositionalism was developed because no decent arguments for god exist, and there are many decent arguments against him existing. presuppositionalism attempts to short circuit the entire argument by saying "a-HA! you used logic to prove god doesnt exist, therefore a god must exist to sustain logic." while this may resonate with the flock, it is a self-defeating argument. if a god must exist to sustain logic, then the logical proof that god doesnt exist must be true.

regarding epistemology: if you check out the thread about "how can anybody believe in god" youll see my discussion of how epistemology is perfectly possible without "true" knowledge.
1. Based on his inability to understand what? Non-theistic epistemologies? He understood those well enough to point out their flaws; mainly, that none of them have an absolute reference for knowledge beyond man. (Plato sorta did, but not quite, in the world of Ideas, but I don't really feel like going in-depth into Van Til's answers to Plato.)

2. Huh? Presuppositionalism is based on the, well, presupposition that God exists as described in the Bible. Van Til doesn't claim to have logically deduced that God exists. He claims to have no knowledge of God except that which God has revealed. He accepts the Bible as evidence of God's existence on the basis of God's ultimate authority. Of course, he admits this is a circular argument; he asserts that all human reasoning is necessarily circular.
You continue to ridicule belief in God by referring to a "magical being", etc. as if somehow my belief is unrealistic compared to your form of naturalism. However, I believe this is not the case. For instance, take the statement, "Only that which can be proved to be true by logic or reason is true". How does one go about proving the truth of this statement? By logic or reason? Then it is a circular argument. By something other than logic or reason? Then it is internally inconsistent - its truth is proven by something it claims is invalid for proving truth. I'm not attacking the statement itself, it's just that statements like these are unprovable presuppositions, on no higher epistemological ground than my presupposition of God.

3. I'll have to disagree on the history of presuppositionalism. It was developed because non-presuppositionalist Christian apologists had compromised themselves and their God in hopes to win reluctant unbelievers to the faith. Past apologetics had reasoned from a neutral ground of facts to the existence of a God, then to the existence of a Christian God. This method compromised the Christian God, in that it made Him wholly unnecessary to the human quest for knowledge: if you can reason in an initially godless state from the world to God, you can reason to anything else without Him as well. Presuppositionalism rejects the idea of the neutral factual ground between the believer and the unbeliever. Either a fact is a product of chance (as the unbeliever asserts) and thus has no absolute, universal meaning, or it is a God-created-and-interpreted fact with a definite meaning.
Your argument about logical proofs boils down to this(and correct me if I'm wrong): "God doesn't exist because the logic that He gives meaning to has proved that He does not exist". So, either logic is meaningless (in which case it can't prove anything, let alone the existence of God) or God gives meaning to logic (in which case the logical proof of God's non-existence must be somehow flawed). Human logic cannot prove the non-existence of God, because if it somehow does, it invalidates its own basis for claiming to know the truth. The situation you described is a paradox, in which logic proves itself to be meaningless. It is not a logical proof of God's non-existence.
A good illustration, IMO, is that arguing against God is like arguing against the existence of air. One person may be for it, and another against it, but both are breathing it all the time.

4. That thread is really long. I read some of your posts, and I still don't see how we can "know" something without certainty. If there is no singular, true interpretation of the world, there is no absolute basis for knowledge, and all knowledge must eventually break down to pure subjectivism. Any fundamental order, and unifying factor for knowledge, that the anti-theist assumes is unjustifiable based on his presupposition of the world as a product of pure chance; hence the Van Tillian aphorism, "Antitheism presupposes theism."

snex

Smash Master
1. Based on his inability to understand what? Non-theistic epistemologies? He understood those well enough to point out their flaws; mainly, that none of them have an absolute reference for knowledge beyond man. (Plato sorta did, but not quite, in the world of Ideas, but I don't really feel like going in-depth into Van Til's answers to Plato.)
but he doesnt understand them, and neither do you, as you demonstrate in your next paragraph.

2. Huh? Presuppositionalism is based on the, well, presupposition that God exists as described in the Bible. Van Til doesn't claim to have logically deduced that God exists. He claims to have no knowledge of God except that which God has revealed. He accepts the Bible as evidence of God's existence on the basis of God's ultimate authority. Of course, he admits this is a circular argument; he asserts that all human reasoning is necessarily circular.
You continue to ridicule belief in God by referring to a "magical being", etc. as if somehow my belief is unrealistic compared to your form of naturalism. However, I believe this is not the case. For instance, take the statement, "Only that which can be proved to be true by logic or reason is true". How does one go about proving the truth of this statement? By logic or reason? Then it is a circular argument. By something other than logic or reason? Then it is internally inconsistent - its truth is proven by something it claims is invalid for proving truth. I'm not attacking the statement itself, it's just that statements like these are unprovable presuppositions, on no higher epistemological ground than my presupposition of God.
right here you demonstrate that you dont understand non-theist epistemologies. nobody asserts that "only that which can be proved to be true by logic or reason is true." that is a theist mischaracterization. all a non-theist epistemology requires is the honesty to not assert things that one does not have evidence for. theists simply do not have this honesty. atheists do not assert that they have knowledge of the lack of gods, atheists point out that no gods have shown themselves, and just as it would be foolish to believe in teapots orbiting mars, it would be foolish to believe in these alleged gods.

3. I'll have to disagree on the history of presuppositionalism. It was developed because non-presuppositionalist Christian apologists had compromised themselves and their God in hopes to win reluctant unbelievers to the faith. Past apologetics had reasoned from a neutral ground of facts to the existence of a God, then to the existence of a Christian God. This method compromised the Christian God, in that it made Him wholly unnecessary to the human quest for knowledge: if you can reason in an initially godless state from the world to God, you can reason to anything else without Him as well. Presuppositionalism rejects the idea of the neutral factual ground between the believer and the unbeliever. Either a fact is a product of chance (as the unbeliever asserts) and thus has no absolute, universal meaning, or it is a God-created-and-interpreted fact with a definite meaning.
Your argument about logical proofs boils down to this(and correct me if I'm wrong): "God doesn't exist because the logic that He gives meaning to has proved that He does not exist". So, either logic is meaningless (in which case it can't prove anything, let alone the existence of God) or God gives meaning to logic (in which case the logical proof of God's non-existence must be somehow flawed). Human logic cannot prove the non-existence of God, because if it somehow does, it invalidates its own basis for claiming to know the truth. The situation you described is a paradox, in which logic proves itself to be meaningless. It is not a logical proof of God's non-existence.
A good illustration, IMO, is that arguing against God is like arguing against the existence of air. One person may be for it, and another against it, but both are breathing it all the time.
see, therein lies the rub. you have a problem in that all reasonable arguments are against the existence of god, and you blindly ASSERT that logic depends on god. then you claim that the flaw most likely lies in the arguments themselves, rather than your blind and patently dishonest assertion.

4. That thread is really long. I read some of your posts, and I still don't see how we can "know" something without certainty. If there is no singular, true interpretation of the world, there is no absolute basis for knowledge, and all knowledge must eventually break down to pure subjectivism. Any fundamental order, and unifying factor for knowledge, that the anti-theist assumes is unjustifiable based on his presupposition of the world as a product of pure chance; hence the Van Tillian aphorism, "Antitheism presupposes theism."
a singular, true interpretation of the world does not require a magic man in the sky. all it requires is a world based on one or more consistent and fixed laws. of course, there is no guarantee that our world is even in that position, but that is irrelevant. what matters is that it is *good enough* to make predictions that vastly outshine pure chance. materialist systems do this - theistic systems DO NOT.

snex

Smash Master
Oh, the irony.
what irony liar-boy? i never claimed to know *anything.*

yossarian said:
Tu quoque...
in what way? theists assert things that they could not possibly know. atheists do not.

also, verditude, another problem with presuppositionalism:

since you are admitting to using circular logic merely because you think your god is consistent with observed reality, how can you possibly respond to other circular arguments about other gods that are consistent? for example, how would you possibly defeat a presuppositionalist muslim, buddhist, or hindu? you absolutely cannot do so, and this defeats the entire premise of claiming to have a system in which true knowledge is possible and absolute. even if such a system exists, and requires a god, YOU have absolutely no way of knowing this or deciding which god is correct. you are lost in a sea of liars making up lies to get you to convert, and its rather arrogant to pretend that out of the thousands upon thousands of religious systems out there, YOU have managed to stumble onto the correct one and that it just happens to be the one you were born into.

yossarian22

Smash Journeyman
in what way? theists assert things that they could not possibly know. atheists do not.
Both positions make assertions that they could not possibly know, although the atheist typically makes fewer. I explained (or am explaining) why in another thread.

snex

Smash Master
Both positions make assertions that they could not possibly know, although the atheist typically makes fewer. I explained (or am explaining) why in another thread.
you did not. atheists make no assertions whatsoever. atheism is a non-position. the only thing you can determine about somebody who says "i am an atheist" is that they lack belief in gods. you cannot determine what their epistemology is, what their morals are, or what their favorite color is. all you know is a set of things that they DO NOT believe.

if a person says "i do not collect stamps" you have not identified any hobbies that they have, you have identified a hobby that they DO NOT have.

D

Deleted member

Snex, for the record, can you please state the differences between atheism and agnosticism?

You state that atheism is a non-position - meaning that rationally if a God were to be proven you would believe in it.

However, how is this any different from agnosticism? This is why I call them the same thing.

You say that atheists would believe in God if a God were proved. On the other hand, theists wouldn't believe in God if God was proved to not exist.

If you disagree to that last statement, and say that "no, some religious are too blind and stubborn to accept that God does not exist", (which may very well be true), I will respond and say that if God were proven to be true, there would still be atheists that do NOT believe that a God exists.

As we can clearly see, there are different strands of atheism and theism.

There is strong and weak theism and there is strong and weak atheism. In my opinion, both weak a/theists are agnostic in nature. They are somewhat biased but they understand they were wrong.

This is why the definitions need to be stated for the record. Your definition of atheism sounds much too like agnosticism for this to continue.

Again, please state the difference between atheism and agnosticism, in your own terms. There has to be 3 paths on viewing God:

Claiming a God doesn't exist

Claiming a God does exist

Having a lack of belief

You can collect stamps

You can go out of your way to not collect stamps - it could be a personal passion to avoid stamp collecting

Or you could just not collect stamps

snex

Smash Master
there are not 3 paths. you either hold or a belief or you do not hold a belief. you either collect stamps or you do not collect stamps.

atheism is the lack of the belief. a rock is an atheist because it has no beliefs in gods.

agnosticism is the belief that knowledge about gods is impossible. a rock is not an agnostic because rocks cannot hold beliefs.

i do not assert that knowledge (in the colloquial sense, not the strict philosophical sense) about gods is impossible, so i am not an agnostic. knowledge about gods (if they existed, that is) would be exactly as attainable as knowledge about any other aspect of reality.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
From Wikipedia:

"Agnosticism (Greek: α- a-, without + γνώσις gnōsis, knowledge; after Gnosticism) is the philosophical view that the truth value of certain claims — particularly metaphysical claims regarding theology, afterlife or the existence of God, gods, deities, or even ultimate reality — is unknown or, depending on the form of agnosticism, inherently unknowable due to the nature of subjective experience perceived by that individual."

"Atheism, as an explicit position, either affirms the nonexistence of gods[1] or rejects theism.[2] When defined more broadly, atheism is the absence of belief in deities,[3] alternatively called nontheism.[4]"

Delorted, you have such an immense hatred for ... something. I don't completely know what it is... but it sounds to me to be almost non-existent, that is, the strong belief or blind faith in the belief that there absolutely can not possibly be a god. Am I correct?

There currently is no such widely accepted belief. No one claims this. Perhaps you need to rethink this personal vendetta?

-blazed

verditude

Smash Journeyman
right here you demonstrate that you dont understand non-theist epistemologies. nobody asserts that "only that which can be proved to be true by logic or reason is true." that is a theist mischaracterization. all a non-theist epistemology requires is the honesty to not assert things that one does not have evidence for. theists simply do not have this honesty. atheists do not assert that they have knowledge of the lack of gods, atheists point out that no gods have shown themselves, and just as it would be foolish to believe in teapots orbiting mars, it would be foolish to believe in these alleged gods.

see, therein lies the rub. you have a problem in that all reasonable arguments are against the existence of god, and you blindly ASSERT that logic depends on god. then you claim that the flaw most likely lies in the arguments themselves, rather than your blind and patently dishonest assertion.

a singular, true interpretation of the world does not require a magic man in the sky. all it requires is a world based on one or more consistent and fixed laws. of course, there is no guarantee that our world is even in that position, but that is irrelevant. what matters is that it is *good enough* to make predictions that vastly outshine pure chance. materialist systems do this - theistic systems DO NOT.
1. First, my statement is evidently a misleading paraphrase, so I'll quote Dr. Gordon Stein, a professed atheist: "The use of logic or reason is the only valid way to examine the truth or falsity of any statement which claims to be factual." This statement is my example of a presupposition. Also, I didn't claim that "only that which can be proved to be true by logic or reason is true" is the only atheist position. That was just an example to make my point that all human reasoning is circular. Second, I think that God has indeed shown himself, in the Bible especially. Think about it: if God were to reveal Himself to His creation, whose authority or standard of proof would he appeal to? His own, or the creation's? God can appeal to no higher authority than Himself, so why are you expecting Him to reveal himself in a way conforming to your standards of proof?

2. Laws of logic are necessarily dependent on God for meaning because otherwise, the laws are interpreted by man, and thus they have no singular, stable interpretation. The atheist position states that the laws of logic are universal, am I right? The laws have to be universal, otherwise they could differ with social convention. Now, how is the positing of any universal law of logic consistent with atheistic presuppositions? How do you justify claiming the existence of absolute truths like the law of contradiction if each person can only interpret reality for him/herself?

3. From my position, the question of the universe being based on consistent or fixed laws is very relevant. If you cannot prove this, you cannot prove anything else. All you have is guesses based on your own experience. Given atheistic presuppositions of the universe as arising due to chance, the epistemological elevation of the laws of logic as somehow universally applicable to the world makes no sense. The scientist and logician presuppose far more fundamental order to the universe than their atheistic worldview allows for.
The argument that you are justified in using these laws because they have worked in the past was attacked by a somewhat consistent anti-theistic philosopher, David Hume. The validity of scientific laws was undermined by Hume when he contended that we have no rational basis for expecting the future to be like the past - to be the types of events (so that when one event happened, it's a type of event so that when you see it happening somewhere else) you can expect the same consequence from similar causation. Hume suggested that there was no rational basis for expecting the future to be like the past, in which case science is based simply on convention or habits of thought. I disagree with Hume as a Christian theist, but I find his conclusion consistent (in this respect) with atheistic presuppositions, whereas you continue to cling to an inconsistent basis for universal laws.

About other religions: Every non-Christian religion, at least the ones that I know of, seems either internally inconsistent or destructive of human reason and experience. For instance, Hinduism assumes that God, or Brahman, is the impersonal universal soul of the unchanging One of which all things are part, for instance, and because of that particular outlook Hinduism says that everything in terms of my normal experience of the world and thinking is Maya, or illusion, because everything in experience and thinking presupposes distinctions. But that is contrary to the most fundamental metaphysical fact, and that is that there are no distinctions; all is one. So basically, Hinduism tells me that all of my thinking, all of my reasoning, is illusion, and in so doing undermines reason. You can take religions such as Shintoism, its view of Kami and the forces that permeate the universe; or Taoism, the ordering force in the universe, but they are impersonal forces and as such are even less than human beings because they don't have volition or intelligence.

I have one simple question for you: how, in a material, naturalistic outlook on life and man's place in the world, can you account for the laws of logic, science, and morality?

snex

Smash Master
1. First, my statement is evidently a misleading paraphrase, so I'll quote Dr. Gordon Stein, a professed atheist: "The use of logic or reason is the only valid way to examine the truth or falsity of any statement which claims to be factual." This statement is my example of a presupposition. Also, I didn't claim that "only that which can be proved to be true by logic or reason is true" is the only atheist position. That was just an example to make my point that all human reasoning is circular. Second, I think that God has indeed shown himself, in the Bible especially. Think about it: if God were to reveal Himself to His creation, whose authority or standard of proof would he appeal to? His own, or the creation's? God can appeal to no higher authority than Himself, so why are you expecting Him to reveal himself in a way conforming to your standards of proof?
dr stein's claim is a far cry from your original one, and his is still not quite correct, although it is closer. he is not claiming that only that which we can prove is true, he is claiming that only that which we can prove can be trusted. this is not a presupposition, it is based on our experience showing that proof WORKS. his statement does not account for things that we can have evidence for but cannot prove - and if it did, it would give a correct epistemology.

2. Laws of logic are necessarily dependent on God for meaning because otherwise, the laws are interpreted by man, and thus they have no singular, stable interpretation. The atheist position states that the laws of logic are universal, am I right? The laws have to be universal, otherwise they could differ with social convention. Now, how is the positing of any universal law of logic consistent with atheistic presuppositions? How do you justify claiming the existence of absolute truths like the law of contradiction if each person can only interpret reality for him/herself?
the laws of logic are nothing more than mathematical constructions that humans have invented because they are sometimes useful when applied to the world around us. there is not one set of "THE laws of logic," there are many different logical sets, and they are useful in their respective domains. they are universal in exactly the same way that the correct spelling of a word is universal - it is correct by arbitrary convention and nothing more. if our current laws of logic did not have usefulness in our world, we would have developed different ones that were useful. and your question makes no sense. there is no such thing as an "atheist presupposition." you are trying to draw a battlefield in which you arbitrarily choose your premises and i arbitrarily choose mine - but that is not the case. i choose premises that yield productive results and change them if they cease doing so. and i dont need to justify the premises - if the world works according to one or more fixed and consistent laws, then thats just the way the world is. inventing magical explanations does not get you anywhere.

3. From my position, the question of the universe being based on consistent or fixed laws is very relevant. If you cannot prove this, you cannot prove anything else. All you have is guesses based on your own experience. Given atheistic presuppositions of the universe as arising due to chance, the epistemological elevation of the laws of logic as somehow universally applicable to the world makes no sense. The scientist and logician presuppose far more fundamental order to the universe than their atheistic worldview allows for.
The argument that you are justified in using these laws because they have worked in the past was attacked by a somewhat consistent anti-theistic philosopher, David Hume. The validity of scientific laws was undermined by Hume when he contended that we have no rational basis for expecting the future to be like the past - to be the types of events (so that when one event happened, it's a type of event so that when you see it happening somewhere else) you can expect the same consequence from similar causation. Hume suggested that there was no rational basis for expecting the future to be like the past, in which case science is based simply on convention or habits of thought. I disagree with Hume as a Christian theist, but I find his conclusion consistent (in this respect) with atheistic presuppositions, whereas you continue to cling to an inconsistent basis for universal laws.
you are wrong that i need to prove that the universe is based on fixed consistent laws. all i need to do is point out the fact that that is how it seems to be. if everybody had to justify everything before taking any actions, then you are in just as dismal a position (if not worse) because you have absolutely no justification for any gods. just as we dont need to know how gravity works to study it, i dont need to know why the world appears to be consistent to realize that it is (or seems to be).

hume introducing the problem of induction does nothing to strengthen your case. we might not have any guarantee that the past and present can help understand the future, but we can make a wager that it does or doesnt, and we can see whether or not the wager succeeds. you can protest all you like, but the fact of the matter is that relying on the past and the present DOES succeed in predicting the future. if it stopped doing so tomorrow, then we would change how we do things.

if an atheist suffers from the problem of induction, you do so even moreso. you believe in a being that can suspend any law he likes at any time and for any reason. you have even less reason to believe in reason than an atheist does. for an atheist, if the world is based on fixed and consistent laws, it will always be so. for a theist, this could change at the drop of a hat.

About other religions: Every non-Christian religion, at least the ones that I know of, seems either internally inconsistent or destructive of human reason and experience. For instance, Hinduism assumes that God, or Brahman, is the impersonal universal soul of the unchanging One of which all things are part, for instance, and because of that particular outlook Hinduism says that everything in terms of my normal experience of the world and thinking is Maya, or illusion, because everything in experience and thinking presupposes distinctions. But that is contrary to the most fundamental metaphysical fact, and that is that there are no distinctions; all is one. So basically, Hinduism tells me that all of my thinking, all of my reasoning, is illusion, and in so doing undermines reason. You can take religions such as Shintoism, its view of Kami and the forces that permeate the universe; or Taoism, the ordering force in the universe, but they are impersonal forces and as such are even less than human beings because they don't have volition or intelligence.
christianity is an affront to reason just as much as any other religion is. you are just in denial. had you been born a muslim, you would be claiming how islam is the only reasonable religion. and even if no earthly religion is consistent, there are an infinite number of possible religions that ARE consistent, and you STILL have no way to choose between any of them. you are trying to claim an epistemology that supports an absolute standard of knowledge, and yet your epistemology necessarily leads to the inability to choose between an infinite number of mutually exclusive universes.

I have one simple question for you: how, in a material, naturalistic outlook on life and man's place in the world, can you account for the laws of logic, science, and morality?
i dont need to "account" for anything to know that it works. nobody knows how gravity works, yet you dont sit there and demand your physics teacher "account" for it before you accept newton's equations on it.

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
....aaaaaaaaaaaaand BACK ON TOPIC!!

Title said:
Your Favorite Philosopher/Philosopher You Most Agree With and Why
This is either redundant or needlessly confusing.

Possible corrections:

"Your Favorite Philosopher or the Philosopher You Most Agree With and Why"
"Your Favorite Philosopher You Most Agree With and Why"

-------

Hmmm...are we going by strict "philosophers" or intellectuals with occasional philosophical waxings? C.S. Lewis would have to be my favorite philosopher. Greg Graffin (frontman for Bad Religion, Ph.D. in Zoology) comes in close second just because he's an example of an intellectual who's done amazing things with his life across many fields, even if I don't necessarily agree with his views.

yossarian22

Smash Journeyman
you did not. atheists make no assertions whatsoever. atheism is a non-position. the only thing you can determine about somebody who says "i am an atheist" is that they lack belief in gods.
Strong atheists actively reject a position. They make the claim <position x> is wrong. You have as much evidence backing up your side as the theist does, as I have reiterated a couple times
you cannot determine what their epistemology is, what their morals are, or what their favorite color is. all you know is a set of things that they DO NOT believe.
The same applies to theism.
The only claim a theist makes is that there is a god(s). Nothing else.
if a person says "i do not collect stamps" you have not identified any hobbies that they have, you have identified a hobby that they DO NOT have.
True, but an irrelevant analogy.

Edit:
The Executive
You do realize that a '/' is effectively synonymous with 'or', right?
So you haven't corrected him at all. You just phrased it more formally.

The Executive

Smash Lord
You do realize that a '/' is effectively synonymous with 'or', right?
So you haven't corrected him at all. You just phrased it more formally.
I did realize that, but it took a while, and I was confused as to the meaning of the '/' (differentiating between 'Philosopher' and 'Philosopher' or differentiating between 'Philosopher' and 'Philosopher you most agree with'). Merely hoping to avoid future confusion on anyone else's part. Confuse.

Sorry, the brain's haywire due to upcoming AP exams so I've been absent from the Debate Hall for fear of sounding like an idiot anytime I open my mouth.

snex

Smash Master
Strong atheists actively reject a position. They make the claim <position x> is wrong. You have as much evidence backing up your side as the theist does, as I have reiterated a couple times
can you name a SINGLE person in the debate hall trying to maintain this alleged position? can you name a SINGLE person ANYWHERE that does so? all of the "popular" atheists you have heard of are weak atheists.

The same applies to theism.
The only claim a theist makes is that there is a god(s). Nothing else.
a claim that a god exists requires evidence. a claim that no gods are observed does not. the lack of observation is shared by everyone. it is the null hypothesis.

True, but an irrelevant analogy.
no, it is the perfect analogy. since you are not an atheist, what the **** would you know about what analogies are good or not?

yossarian22

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, the brain's haywire due to upcoming AP exams so I've been absent from the Debate Hall for fear of sounding like an idiot anytime I open my mouth.
AP exams will do that to ya.
While studying for the Calc BC exam, I was unable to think of anything except concavity for the longest time.
It didn't help that my teacher would demonstrate concavity by saying "Happy, happy, happy! Sad, sad, sad!" in a thick Russian accent while teaching it
can you name a SINGLE person in the debate hall trying to maintain this alleged position? can you name a SINGLE person ANYWHERE that does so? all of the "popular" atheists you have heard of are weak atheists.
Sure.
Dawkins, Harris, and a few others are prominent ones.
And just take a quick glance over the How Can Anybody Believe in God? thread. I would consider you a strong atheist.
a claim that a god exists requires evidence. a claim that no gods are observed does not. the lack of observation is shared by everyone. it is the null hypothesis.
I already went over this. There is no way to have evidence for a God, so the typical "Absence of evidence is evidence of absence" is inapplicable.
Both positions make baseless conjecture.
no, it is the perfect analogy. since you are not an atheist, what the **** would you know about what analogies are good or not?
Did you post this while drunk or something? I am an atheist, but besides that, the ideas expressed above are patently idiotic and repugnant.
I have to be an atheist to judge an analogy about atheism?!

The Executive

Smash Lord
AP exams will do that to ya.
While studying for the Calc BC exam, I was unable to think of anything except concavity for the longest time.
It didn't help that my teacher would demonstrate concavity by saying "Happy, happy, happy! Sad, sad, sad!" in a thick Russian accent while teaching it
I'm not sure what's worse, your experience or the fact that I understand EXACTLY what you're talking about.

I also would like to hear snex's response to the "strong atheist" comment you made. I've been reading a bit into those two and happen to be gathering info for a presentation on Thursday, so this should provide good insight. *grabs popcorn*

snex

Smash Master
Sure.
Dawkins, Harris, and a few others are prominent ones.
And just take a quick glance over the How Can Anybody Believe in God? thread. I would consider you a strong atheist.
three strikes and youre OUT. none of your asserted people are strong atheists, and youd know this if you actually bothered to read ANYTHING any of them (including myself) have said.

I already went over this. There is no way to have evidence for a God, so the typical "Absence of evidence is evidence of absence" is inapplicable.
Both positions make baseless conjecture.
of course there is a way to have evidence for a god. all alleged gods have qualities that produce potentially observable results. none of these predictions bear out, so those gods are falsified.

Did you post this while drunk or something? I am an atheist, but besides that, the ideas expressed above are patently idiotic and repugnant.
I have to be an atheist to judge an analogy about atheism?!
yes, actually you do. you are in no place to judge an analogy about a position that you constantly mischaracterize. since you have been corrected so many times thus far, i can only conclude that you are doing it deliberately.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
My favorite philosopher is snex. Somehow I picture him responding to posts completely enraged. Instead of typing responses, he should video record himself and then post links on Youtube. That would be hilarious.

But really, I don't get along with philosophers generally. I enjoy philosophy, but not philosophers. As an engineer, the object of communication is to convey a meaning as precisely and concisely as possible. But philosophers seem to see communication as a competition to say as many words as possible while still being vague.

yossarian22

Smash Journeyman
three strikes and youre OUT. none of your asserted people are strong atheists, and youd know this if you actually bothered to read ANYTHING any of them (including myself) have said.
Er, they explicitly reject God, and therefore a strong atheists. Dawkins may not consider himself a strong atheist, but given his works, I am going to classify him as one.
of course there is a way to have evidence for a god. all alleged gods have qualities that produce potentially observable results. none of these predictions bear out, so those gods are falsified.
See the other thread
yes, actually you do. you are in no place to judge an analogy about a position that you constantly mischaracterize. since you have been corrected so many times thus far, i can only conclude that you are doing it deliberately.
Is English a second language for you.
Please point out where I mischaracterized your analogy and where you have corrected me.

I don't consider saying "No, it is the perfect analogy; you don't know what the **** you are talking about" to be a correction.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dawkins reminds me a lot of snex, actually. They both put together valid arguments, but with heavy amounts of insult and sarcasm thrown in. Trolls, perhaps, but intellectual ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom