• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your estimate on how many chars total?

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
the prophecy has come true!

alright, everyone knows how the answer to life is 47(or was it 42?) right? well that is the brawl roster size! so I'll put my money on that.

del-boy

Smash Journeyman
Around 46 because why would they have 22+ characters in the stating roster, so I think there will be 42 characters a low amount of characters we will get.

EPX2

Smash Ace
42 not including transformations ftw
This exactly. For an approximation, ~40.

I'm guessing low 30's too. I mean, it doesn't seem that all of the currently known players are opening characters. And really, I never thought that most of the character choices people here consider "obvious ones" really had a good chance. As much as I'd love to have Midna in, I have my doubts about the possibly of even the likes of Ridley, Krystal, and Geno.
I don't think you realize this is the last SSB Sakurai will ever work on (and honestly, I would not be surprised if it were the last SSB PERIOD). Because if you did, you'd also realize that with everything we've seen so far, Sakurai's obviously making Brawl his swan song from the SSB series. Why exactly would he do something as disappointing as only including 30 or so characters?

Edit: Also @ the person who said 28: ...

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
That's why I know I'm going to be disappointed. The Famitsu guide has had a huge effect on me, and there's a possibility I'm going to be hugely disappointed thinking high, so I'm thinking low, as in, 30.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
I'm guessing low 30's too. I mean, it doesn't seem that all of the currently known players are opening characters. And really, I never thought that most of the character choices people here consider "obvious ones" really had a good chance. As much as I'd love to have Midna in, I have my doubts about the possibly of even the likes of Ridley, Krystal, and Geno.
:laugh: This guys such a jokester!

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Let me say this..
For those of you thinking small...

Would you think small all throughout your life with fear of disapointment or failure?
I know I won't.

THINK BIG!
That's true, bur with your own life, you can do something about it. We cannot do a thing about the Brawl roster. So it's not our fault if we don't want to be disappointed.

When all of you guys are saying "WTF NO WAY!!! :mad:" I'll be saying "I ****ing knew it"

And if per chance it's 40 characters, you guys will be saying "Ha, knew it!" And I'll be saying ":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:"

Basically it's the easy way out to assume low :p

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
That's true, bur with your own life, you can do something about it. We cannot do a thing about the Brawl roster. So it's not our fault if we don't want to be disappointed.

When all of you guys are saying "WTF NO WAY!!! :mad:" I'll be saying "I ****ing knew it"

And if per chance it's 40 characters, you guys will be saying "Ha, knew it!" And I'll be saying ":eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:"

Basically it's the easy way out to assume low :p
Basically, different outcomes for each result.
When it comes to your reaction.

:laugh:

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
I would say between 30 and 36
Currently we have seen 23(Transformations don't count in this)
Smash had 24 characters, shiek doesn't count imop, it's all about the select screen. ssb64 had 12. They aren't gonna double the roster size again, they might add 12 again, and pull or redesign the clones. 18 movesest +12 is 30. 24+12 =36. Therefor the max is 36 and the minimum is 30 by my estimates. More importantly though they will be balanced. granted in theory melee is a lot more balanced in 4 player FFA with very skilled players.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Melee had 25 not including Sheik, and 26 including Sheik, so I don't think it was a purposeful double.

Siegfried

Smash Cadet
This exactly. For an approximation, ~40.

I don't think you realize this is the last SSB Sakurai will ever work on (and honestly, I would not be surprised if it were the last SSB PERIOD). Because if you did, you'd also realize that with everything we've seen so far, Sakurai's obviously making Brawl his swan song from the SSB series. Why exactly would he do something as disappointing as only including 30 or so characters?

Edit: Also @ the person who said 28: ...
I do know that this is the last SSB that Sakurai is going to work on. However, the characters we know of now (plus the really obvious ones [Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf etc.] and all the ATs and trophies; not to mention all the decloning they're probably doing for the likes of Ganon and possibly Falco) are already a fairly large upgrade from melee and a rather good representation of Nintendo's gaming legends. Krystal, K. Rool, Ridley, Midna, Geno, and etc. are all well-liked characters, but many of them are either secondary to the actual heros of their franchises. And though Metroid, Star Fox, and Donkey Kong are gaming icons, they aren't so well known amongst the general populace that people would see Ridley, Krystal, and K. Rool and say "I know them!"

I know that popularity and recognition aren't the only criteria for getting in Brawl (Dedede is fairly well known in Japan, but I doubt he nearly as famous overseas), but I still retain my doubts about all these secondary characters making it in. It'll be a pleasant surprise if they do get in (though not one that I would find actually shocking), but I'm almost certain there will be hundreds on these boards a few weeks later screaming "Die Sakurai! How dare you not include Krystal!"

Siegfried

Smash Cadet
Source? I want to see a source!
Sakurai didn't even know he was going to work on Brawl...

From wiki

At the pre-E3 2005 press conference, the president of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata, announced the next installment of Super Smash Bros. was not only already in development for their next gaming console, but would be a launch title with Wi-Fi compatibility for online play.[46] The announcement was unexpected to the creator of the Super Smash Bros. series, Masahiro Sakurai. Back in 2003, he had left HAL Laboratory, the company that was in charge with the franchises' development and was never informed of this announcement despite the fact shortly after resigning from the company, Iwata said if a new game was to be made, he would be in charge. It was not until after the conference Sakurai was called to Satoru Iwata's room on the top floor of a Los Angeles hotel, where he was told by Iwata "We'd like you to be involved in the production of the new Smash Bros., if possible near the level of director".[47] Although originally announced to be a launch title, Sakurai stated "I decided to become director. And as of May, 2005, I was the only member of the new Smash Bros. development team". Development of the game never actually started until October 2005,[48] when Nintendo opened a new office in Tokyo just for its production. Nintendo also enlisted outside help from a company who, at that point in time, just finished development of a major title. Sakurai also stated that these people had spent excessive amounts of time playing Super Smash Bros. Melee. This team was given access to all the original material and tools from the development of Melee, courtesy of HAL Laboratory. Also, several Smash Bros. staff members that reside around the area of the new office joined the project's development.[49][1]
Sakurai resigned from his position at HAL Laboratory, Inc. on August 5, 2003, leading many to believe that the Kirby and Super Smash Bros. series would cease to continue. Reasons for his departure are said to be because he was seeking more freedom and was not happy with the structure that was present at HAL Laboratory. Most of all, however, Sakurai grew tired of the sequelization of the industry and at HAL.[1][2]

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming," said Masahiro Sakurai on August 26, 2003, in an interview with Nintendo Dream, two weeks after his resignation from HAL Laboratory. "Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally."
http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=489&page=5

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I'm guessing 40-42. I'm hoping for around the same. Less would be disappointing too many more would be getting dumb, where each character isn't really even a Nintendo all star.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Sakurai didn't even know he was going to work on Brawl...

From wiki
Wiki is not a reliable source. Because I knwo for a fact that paragraph is wrong. I watched E3 05 press conference live online. He did not say it was in development. Rather he stated he wanted a launch game to be a new online super smash bros.

At the old smash bros site there was an article (wish they kept some of that stuff) called how this game came to be made), in it Sakurai said he was at that E3, and was like "Oh I didn't know Nintendo was making a new smash bros, weird that they didn't tell me but oh well." It as at that E3 where they actually approached him about making it.

Siegfried

Smash Cadet
Wiki is not a reliable source. Because I knwo for a fact that paragraph is wrong. I watched E3 05 press conference live online. He did not say it was in development. Rather he stated he wanted a launch game to be a new online super smash bros.

At the old smash bros site there was an article (wish they kept some of that stuff) called how this game came to be made), in it Sakurai said he was at that E3, and was like "Oh I didn't know Nintendo was making a new smash bros, weird that they didn't tell me but oh well." It as at that E3 where they actually approached him about making it.
Each of the paragraphs have links to its references. Why don't you check them out? Sakurai has his own projects now outside of Nintendo, I think its pretty final that this is the last game that he's working on (and it seems to be common knowledge here and on other forums as well).

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
35-40 I'm guessing which is good either way because were looking at 11+ new characters now if we're counting what's been revealed so far we've got 24 characters though you could look at it as 23 because ZZS isn't a separate character and i didn't count sheik because her and zelda are the one character. So that could mean 11-12+ characters that have yet to be revealed and need to be unlocked. So we could be looking at very good times ahead.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Each of the paragraphs have links to its references. Why don't you check them out? Sakurai has his own projects now outside of Nintendo, I think its pretty final that this is the last game that he's working on (and it seems to be common knowledge here and on other forums as well).
Yeah, that is true. I wasn't opposing that. I was just saying that Brawl was not in development till after E3 05. That Wiki Link says that they announced that it was in development at E3 05. It wasn't, he said he wanted to have a online smash bros for launch, but he never said it was already being made.

EPX2

Smash Ace
I do know that this is the last SSB that Sakurai is going to work on. However, the characters we know of now (plus the really obvious ones [Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf etc.] and all the ATs and trophies; not to mention all the decloning they're probably doing for the likes of Ganon and possibly Falco) are already a fairly large upgrade from melee and a rather good representation of Nintendo's gaming legends.
Correct. However, there are still quite a few popular Nintendo characters who have not yet made it into the SSB franchise as playable characters. As this is the last SSB game Sakurai will work on, I'd imagine he'd try to please the fans of these characters by including them (or at the very least, some of them), since it's not like they'll have a potential sequel to look forward to. Many of these characters have huge fanbases and honestly, I think it'd be no less than foolish on Sakurai's part to not include a single one of them just because he's added so much other content already. Characters are the focus of the game, after all; while assist trophies, pokeballs, stages, game modes, and so forth contribute to making the final product an extremely pleasing one, the characters are going to be the real draw. Special attention needs to be paid to the roster in a game like this.

Krystal, K. Rool, Ridley, Midna, Geno, and etc. are all well-liked characters, but many of them are either secondary to the actual heros of their franchises. And though Metroid, Star Fox, and Donkey Kong are gaming icons, they aren't so well known amongst the general populace that people would see Ridley, Krystal, and K. Rool and say "I know them!"
Once again, you're correct. At the same time, this isn't the original Super Smash Bros. game we're talking about. What do I mean? Well, that game was pretty bare-bones in terms of characters. A pretty small roster featuring only the main characters of Nintendo's biggest franchises (Mario and Pokemon excluded). With Melee came the secondary-but-still-popular characters and those from smaller, forgotten, and unknown franchises. Many of these characters (Marth and Roy, for example) were virtually unheard of - at least, internationally - prior to Melee.

With Brawl, we're seeing a similar expansion in roster. We're getting additional secondary, unknown, and forgotten characters that were unable to make it into Melee. Once again, much of the roster consists of characters that most people won't see and go, "OMG, it's SO-AND-SO!" I'd have trouble believing that most people recognized Pit, Ike, or even Zero Suit Samus. However, the recognition that these characters did have, among other factors, was considered sufficient enough to include them as playable characters. I really see no reason why Sakurai's mindset would suddenly change when it comes to the remaining popular-but-not-quite-iconic characters such as Krystal and K. Rool.

I know that popularity and recognition aren't the only criteria for getting in Brawl (Dedede is fairly well known in Japan, but I doubt he nearly as famous overseas), but I still retain my doubts about all these secondary characters making it in. It'll be a pleasant surprise if they do get in (though not one that I would find actually shocking), but I'm almost certain there will be hundreds on these boards a few weeks later screaming "Die Sakurai! How dare you not include Krystal!"
I have no doubt in my mind that Krystal will be included. I think you're really underestimating exactly how popular and significant she is if you think she won't be in the game as a playable character, especially given the inclusion of some of the characters I mentioned above.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I agree that Krystal is n incredibly likely candidate. And I think Ridley's chances were helped by the fact that he's in two of the prime games. Prime was a flop in Japan maybe, but it was pretty popular here in the states.

On a side note how do most of you pronounce ridley? I've been a meroid fan since prime but never really thought about it. Is it

Ride ly like a ride at the fair with ly on the end or is it

Rid ly like lid with an R instead of l?

Metalsonic

Smash Rookie
I agree that Krystal is n incredibly likely candidate. And I think Ridley's chances were helped by the fact that he's in two of the prime games. Prime was a flop in Japan maybe, but it was pretty popular here in the states.

On a side note how do most of you pronounce ridley? I've been a meroid fan since prime but never really thought about it. Is it

Ride ly like a ride at the fair with ly on the end or is it

Rid ly like lid with an R instead of l?
I pronounce it Ride-ly.

As for the roster, 45 characters with a margin of error of 5. (Between 40 and 50)

Xanderous

Smash Lord
It's Rid - Lee. It's a real name.

That and a basic understanding of the English language makes it pretty easy to guess.

Prevail

Smash Apprentice
I'll guess that there will be about 35-42 characters. However, I wouldn't mind there being more than that =)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
For those of you expecting 40-42 characters, that might be a little low if you think about it.

We already have 25 characters confirmed with 2 characters being a part of another and another two are hidden characters. Don't forget the likely vets either: Marth, Mr. Game and Watch, Metwo, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Falco, Jigglypuff, Luigi, and Young Link. That's 34 right there. I've said more on this and I'm not going to repeat myself.

Top Bottom