• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your delay is normal. Here's why.

LoGiKAeRiS

Smash Cadet
It depends on how you define "better." Some people might think going from DSL to Cable will solve their "lag" problems because Cable services generally offer greater speeds. Unfortunately, routing/queueing delay are the main proponents of lag.

well I have right now a 7mbs connection.. and im switching for a 30mbs one on tuesday

maybe it could help with the lag issue

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Specane, I'm in America and I play with someone across the street and it lags heavily. Then I play somebody living in another state with much less lag. I've decided what governs lag is a magical fairy in the sky. :(

nytejade

Smash Cadet
If nintendo are using dedicated servers then there would be no servers in europe right? So that would mean if two europeans are playing each other via friends, there will still be high latency because the packets have to travel all the way to america and back again. Is this the case?
Of course they're going to put servers in Europe.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
... No.

This is Nintendo's servers.

Play an online game, which is taking millions of times the input this is, and still having minimal lag for players.

That said, all you can do is get a better connection to your router, or get a better ISP. Nintendo has to fix their own servers.

donn

Smash Rookie
Meanwhile, In Brazil

Here, the problem is the same of yours. Of course we dont have the great speed of your connections so the lag here is complicated and changes a lot, even in the same place. You problably wont fight with two diferent people with the same speed and we really dont know why.

If anyone want to test, please add me and send a pm. Im lookingo for games and want to test with players from another country...

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
I am going to try and get x link kai working with Brawl. I am 100% sure if I can get it to work lag will be around 90ms if not lower. I used to play Armored Core online and there was barely lag.

Krisan Thyme

Smash Rookie
.5 seconds of lag is HUGE. I'm in Boston, and I generally ping 100ms to california. 100ms = .1 seconds, and that's a LARGE delay. Unless you're having severe network problems there's no way you should be pinging .5 or .8 seconds to ANYWHERE in this country. The LAN adapter isn't going to make a real difference unless there's something really wrong with the wireless hardware in your router, or something is causing insane amounts of interference.
Yet, a .5 second delay is what people are complaining about. I think you need to understand that this has absolutely nothing to do with clueless players not understanding latency, and everything to do with that latency being absurdly abnormal for an online title. As you said, .5 seconds is a HUGE delay, and most certainly NOT normal. Likewise, this problem is completely isolated to that of Brawl - nothing else on my network is causing me the slightest issue.. (Which I imagine holds true for most of us having this problem..)

So no, I really can't agree with the whole "this is normal, cope with it" attitude a few people here seem to have.. This isn't normal, this is waaaaay off from what normal should be.. I can only hope it has something to do with the current load they're experiencing on their servers, though I fear it might be more attributed to faulty network code in the game itself..

Personally, I'd kill for an average .1 second delay at this point.. Since that would be more or less normal, and perfectly acceptable.. but alas..

Sethisto

Smash Rookie
I hate the lag. We played for 5 hours last night, and the lag never went away.

I'm developing bad habbits online, since most of my normal techniques do not work there thanks to the lag. Instead of reflecting crap back, I have to dodge it, since the shield doesn't come up fast enough. And my lucario double team fails horribly. I'm down to mashing smash attacks ftw.

The problem here, is that this lag has been around since the japanese release. I have always hated nintendo's old fashioned crap. I used to fight constantly with one of my friends about how terrible nintendo's internet/customer service is. (hes a nintendo fanboy to the max).

They also closed their official message boards, so we are pretty much left in the dark, riding every possible solution that pops up. Forcing people to open every UDP port and 5 TCP ports is ridiculous for one. No game has required that much just to avoid lag, and the majority of players do not even know how to do such a thing... Causing even more lag online. Luckily I have done it before, and was able to pull it off. I'm waiting for the press release that shows nintendo's acknowledgment of the issue, aside from "our tech guys are looking into it".

Hire more tech guys, because the current ones are obviously slower than frozen slugs.

Games have had flawless connection, and Awesome matchmaking systems for 12+ years now, and nintendo releases this garbage on one of the biggest games of the decade? How many of you, bought your wii, dreaming of smash wifi battles with your settings, voice chat, and the ability to play anyone without first having to open firefox and search for people? Or the ability to choose a room out of a list of unregistered player created rooms and go for it based on latency? I know I was expecting something similiar, especially from a company that makes such insane amounts of money. My wii collected dust for over 8 months waiting for this game.

Hell, i'd pay 50$ a year for Wii Live. friend codes are terrible.

FartKnocker

Smash Apprentice
I hate the lag. We played for 5 hours last night, and the lag never went away.

I'm developing bad habbits online, since most of my normal techniques do not work there thanks to the lag. Instead of reflecting crap back, I have to dodge it, since the shield doesn't come up fast enough. And my lucario double team fails horribly. I'm down to mashing smash attacks ftw.

The problem here, is that this lag has been around since the japanese release. I have always hated nintendo's old fashioned crap. I used to fight constantly with one of my friends about how terrible nintendo's internet/customer service is. (hes a nintendo fanboy to the max).

They also closed their official message boards, so we are pretty much left in the dark, riding every possible solution that pops up. Forcing people to open every UDP port and 5 TCP ports is ridiculous for one. No game has required that much just to avoid lag, and the majority of players do not even know how to do such a thing... Causing even more lag online. Luckily I have done it before, and was able to pull it off. I'm waiting for the press release that shows nintendo's acknowledgment of the issue, aside from "our tech guys are looking into it".

Hire more tech guys, because the current ones are obviously slower than frozen slugs.

Games have had flawless connection, and Awesome matchmaking systems for 12+ years now, and nintendo releases this garbage on one of the biggest games of the decade? How many of you, bought your wii, dreaming of smash wifi battles with your settings, voice chat, and the ability to play anyone without first having to open firefox and search for people? Or the ability to choose a room out of a list of unregistered player created rooms and go for it based on latency? I know I was expecting something similiar, especially from a company that makes such insane amounts of money. My wii collected dust for over 8 months waiting for this game.

Hell, i'd pay 50$ a year for Wii Live. friend codes are terrible.
My sentiments exactly. They've even had better "with anyone" features with some of their other online Wii WiFi titles. Why does SSBB seem so gimped online compared to their other games?

Oh yeah. As a network support analyst, this one cracked me up.

They probably ran out of coffee in the break room. Or maybe they're at the pet store because they ran out of hamsters to throw into their WiFi servers...

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I'm convinced Nintendo's servers have something to do with it, because putting my Wii into the DMZ does absolutely no change to the speed of my games, whereas if I put my computer on DMZ and try a round of other online games, it makes them lag less. Basically I'm convinced there's a factor outisde of my connection and my opponents connection that effects everything, and also a factor outside of how far you are from the person, due to what I said in my last post about lagging with someone 10 minutes away and not lagging with someone 1000 miles away.

d13f00l

Smash Rookie
Ok, I ran a packet tracer on a switch with a mirrored port. Here's what happens
You try to start up a game, you contact a nintendo server for the IP of the person you're trying to play against. On a few ports ranging from 50000-65535, connection attempts are made. If they fail, nintendo's NAT connection helper server is contacted, which initiates a UDP connection between it and the wiis of the people who are trying to play. The IP is then changed to the IP of the remote Wiis, and by crazy UDP hole punching magic, you're now directly able to communicate to the other wii WITHOUT THE USE OF NINTENDO SERVERS. BEYOND THE INITIAL CONNECTION, NO NINTENDO SERVERS ARE USED

This is a problem with the code, and our infrastructure. I have a ping of 18 between myself and a friend, but the game is lagging behind on inputs.

There are things you can do to fix this.

a) Try lowering your MTU, I'm currently running 1346 and it's working well. The game slows down a bit from time to time, but the controller input is accurate within milliseconds, it feels like I'm playing local. Packets can get combined and received as one with a larger transmission unit, depending on OS, switch type, router hardware and os, etc. If a packet is sent with a larger size than some hardware down the line supports, problems and fragmentation can occur.

b) Try a wii wired adapter, or at least try disabling things like frameburst on your router. The wii is not compatible with all routers, because a lot of routers choose not to conform strictly to standards.

c) Try port forwarding ports 50000-65535. For me, it seems the ports that people use to send UDP packets to me on falls within this range, and they're usually the same ports. I'm not sure why this is, but I don't think the ports are entirely randomly generated. This _probably_ won't speed things up, but it will allow you to connect faster, and stop you from receiving errors since you won't need to use the nat helper server. Your mileage may vary, if you want to do your own investigations, put your nic into promiscuous mode, put a HUB or switch with a mirrored port between your PC and the wii, plug it into the router, and run the sniffer and see what magic happens.

Basically, you and a friend can try going here
http://whatsmyip.org/
Then start, run, cmd, in the box that pops up, type "ping (friends ip)", without the ()
If your ping is < 100, in my case, I get 18 with some local friends, there's a good chance of getting gameplay working more responsively. If not, and neither of you are running torrents, maxing your connection, and triggering your ISPs CBQ/QoS/limiting causing increased ping times...there is nothing that can be done if that is the case.

Mooplet

Smash Journeyman
If anyone is interested, my latest post on my blog is about lag issues, port fixes etc.

There were a couple of problems i ran into as well, but you should read the post for more in-depth:

[ Here ]

schizosid

Smash Rookie
A very nice thread (props to the OP, nytejade and anyone else who contributed info). Unfortunately, the conclusion is less than optimistic. It seem that there is little I can do (short of moving to a new house, changing my ISP, getting new friends, etc) to improve Brawl's online performance.

Since adapting to account for lag (a bad idea in any case, if you plan on playing offline multiplayer) isn't really my style, I think that I'll give up on online Brawl until the situation changes.

DarkBridge

Smash Rookie
A very nice thread (props to the OP, nytejade and anyone else who contributed info). Unfortunately, the conclusion is less than optimistic. It seem that there is little I can do (short of moving to a new house, changing my ISP, getting new friends, etc) to improve Brawl's online performance.

Since adapting to account for lag (a bad idea in any case, if you plan on playing offline multiplayer) isn't really my style, I think that I'll give up on online Brawl until the situation changes.
Unfortunately I'm going to be doing the same thing. =(

Thanks for the compliments!

Calixto

Smash Apprentice
Excellent post. I've also, as someone said before, abandoned online play until the input lag issue is addressed. I'll keep searching around the internet for some possible solutions, ever hopeful, but in the end it would seem that the true solution would have to come from Nintendo.

darkshy

Smash Ace
This helped me alot. I'm a little bummed at the fact that the delay is normal, but atleast I know it's not me nessessarily. By the way this should be stickied for future use.

DarkBridge

Smash Rookie
This helped me alot. I'm a little bummed at the fact that the delay is normal, but atleast I know it's not me nessessarily. By the way this should be stickied for future use.
Thanks!

Also, some people may have done a little more research than I have, so if you guys have anything to add, just say so.

Maku

Smash Apprentice
Yeah delayed games are very normal..
The only time i have a good non delayed game is when im playing my cousin on WIFI.
And he lives about 40 minutes from me..
It's a Perfect game FINALLY!!

Top Bottom