• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your biggest Smash4 surprise character

Status
Not open for further replies.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
So who out of the confirmed characters was the biggest surprise to you guys, someone you just absolutely didn't expect. Mine was Greninja and Robin c:​

(there was a similar thread like this for Brawl made back in 2008)

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
Robin OR Lucina - the point being I was surprised to see 2 Fire Emblem newcomers.

Greninja, though in hindsight it was certainly the most obvious Gen VI Pokemon if we accept that there was going to be one added.

Wii Fit Trainer - obviously

pickle962

Smash Lord
WFT was this for everyone. I'd say Greninja, (never played the newest pokemon games), Rosalina, or getting TWO new Fire Emblem reps at once instead of the one specific blue haired swordsman every Gematsu leak supporter SWORE up and down would be in the roster because if Sal Romano's leaker says its true, then its obviously true :p RIP Gematsu leak

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Robin wasn't THAT surprising to me, actually. In fact, if it wasn't for E3 and "Mii Fighter", I'd have been dead-set sure that Robin was the rep over Chrom. Wii Fit Trainer is the obvious surprise.

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Mega Man.

I always thought he should be there, but I thought it would be too good to be true if he showed up.

Thank you Based-Sakurai.

Patwhit01

Smash Cadet
Easily :4robinm:
:4greninja: didn't surprise me, mostly because my internet cut out during the Direct, and when it came back on my skype friend spoiled it for me ;-;
:4palutena::4mii::4pacman: were all shoo-ins, so I wasn't surprised. But the Gematsu leak had EVERYONE expecting Chrom, so :4robinm: and :4lucina: getting revealed was a HUGE surprise. Yes I can use lots of smilies because I want to

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Wii Fit Trainer was probably the most. That really goes without saying. However, this game has several characters that really came out of the left field and I would have never predicted (save for the last several character reveals prior to Robin/Lucina).

Villager was surprising and a funny way to first show off SSB4 to us. It threw me for such a loop... "Is this Animal Crossing U already?" It's really not that Animal Crossing doesn't necessarily deserve a character, it's what Sakurai said prior to Brawl that made me believe it just wouldn't ever happen... That Animal Crossing was, being a non-fighting series, best represented through other means.

The next one would be Greninja, because Greninja was such a random Pokemon to choose. I know, it's a starter, and from the newest generation so it's not completely random, but still pretty random and unpredictable. lol Overall, Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer are the strangest choices, IMO.

Then, of course, Robin and Lucina. Robin wouldn't have been such an out there character choice, but considering the leak and past FE representation in the series, it just wasn't something I saw happening at all. However, I'm so glad it did. That leak had pretty much killed my hype. Ironically, Chrom was the one on the list that I was excited about... But I got Lucina, and I wanted Lucina over Chrom. Lucina herself would be the biggest shock, if it weren't for Robin destroying the leak, though. I thought for sure that FE would only get three characters at max (for a time I thought Ike wasn't going to make it lol), and that Chrom would be the newcomer, even before the leak said so. So, Lucina seemed to be pretty much impossible.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wii Fit Trainer was probably the most. That really goes without saying. However, this game has several characters that really came out of the left field and I would have never predicted (save for the last several character reveals prior to Robin/Lucina).

Villager was surprising and a funny way to first show off SSB4 to us. It threw me for such a loop... "Is this Animal Crossing U already?" It's really not that Animal Crossing doesn't necessarily deserve a character, it's what Sakurai said prior to Brawl that made me believe it just wouldn't ever happen... That Animal Crossing was, being a non-fighting series, best represented through other means.

The next one would be Greninja, because Greninja was such a random Pokemon to choose. I know, it's a starter, and from the newest generation so it's not completely random, but still pretty random and unpredictable. lol Overall, Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer are the strangest choices, IMO.

Then, of course, Robin and Lucina. Robin wouldn't have been such an out there character choice, but considering the leak and past FE representation in the series, it just wasn't something I saw happening at all. However, I'm so glad it did. That leak had pretty much killed my hype. Ironically, Chrom was the one on the list that I was excited about... But I got Lucina, and I wanted Lucina over Chrom. Lucina herself would be the biggest shock, if it weren't for Robin destroying the leak, though. I thought for sure that FE would only get three characters at max (for a time I thought Ike wasn't going to make it lol), and that Chrom would be the newcomer, even before the leak said so. So, Lucina seemed to be pretty much impossible.
Funny thing, I'd like to say "Am I the only one who DIDN'T believe Ike was going to get cut?!" Except I yell at other people on Youtube and such for saying the exact same thing. I know I'm not the only one... I just rarely, if every see anyone that didn't believe Ike was coming back, with some people outright claiming to know FOR A FACT he wasn't coming back... until he was announced.

I still find it hilarious people thought Chrom was the mostlikely newcomer (other than Palutena) on the leak, and he's the one that didn't make it... the only main Lord from Awakening, in fact, that didn't make it (although Lucina was just a skin at first, she was still playable). Granted, I am annoyed by all the Chrom teasing online, I didn't want him playable, but I didn't want people to **** all over him on the internet, either.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Robin, Greninja and Wii Fit Trainer are competing for the spot

Hong

The Strongest
Wii Fit Trainer.

Robin is not a surprise for me at all.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Funny thing, I'd like to say "Am I the only one who DIDN'T believe Ike was going to get cut?!" Except I yell at other people on Youtube and such for saying the exact same thing. I know I'm not the only one... I just rarely, if every see anyone that didn't believe Ike was coming back, with some people outright claiming to know FOR A FACT he wasn't coming back... until he was announced.

I still find it hilarious people thought Chrom was the mostlikely newcomer (other than Palutena) on the leak, and he's the one that didn't make it... the only main Lord from Awakening, in fact, that didn't make it (although Lucina was just a skin at first, she was still playable). Granted, I am annoyed by all the Chrom teasing online, I didn't want him playable, but I didn't want people to **** all over him on the internet, either.
I would have never claimed with any certainty that Ike was going to be cut. I didn't want him to be cut, because he had a unique moveset and everything. However, that didn't save Mewtwo from being cut in Brawl. So my faith in him returning was somewhat low. I was also a bit naive and for some reason thought that FE would not be able to exceed two characters (I don't know why I thought this?). I acknowledged that Awakening was a success, but for some reason I just thought that just meant that Ike would get replaced by Chrom. lol

I had rather low expectations after Brawl, to be honest.

There was one place I was right, though... Everybody was claiming that Toon Link was cut, but I resisted the idea because I felt like Toon Link represented a portion of the Zelda series too well to be cut. Even so, people still insisted that he had no chance of returning, and it couldn't have been any funnier when I saw him confirmed.

Still, I'm done attempting to predict who might get cut and who might not. lol

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I would have never claimed with any certainty that Ike was going to be cut. I didn't want him to be cut, because he had a unique moveset and everything. However, that didn't save Mewtwo from being cut in Brawl. So my faith in him returning was somewhat low. I was also a bit naive and for some reason thought that FE would not be able to exceed two characters (I don't know why I thought this?). I acknowledged that Awakening was a success, but for some reason I just thought that just meant that Ike would get replaced by Chrom. lol

I had rather low expectations after Brawl, to be honest.

There was one place I was right, though... Everybody was claiming that Toon Link was cut, but I resisted the idea because I felt like Toon Link represented a portion of the Zelda series too well to be cut. Even so, people still insisted that he had no chance of returning, and it couldn't have been any funnier when I saw him confirmed.

Still, I'm done attempting to predict who might get cut and who might not. lol
Lol, I DID get Toon Link wrong. I was sure Toon Link was going to get cut. I was indifferent on Lucario; I had no idea what to think about Lucario, really. For a while I thought Lucas, ROB, and Falco would be cut, but now I don't think any of them will.

Wii Fit Trainer.

Robin is not a surprise for me at all.
Agreed. The only thing that surprised me was the timing, I was not at all expecting for Robin to be announced Monday. :p

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
:4greninja:, Robin and Rosalina were also surprising but at least I had thought of them as a possibility, I would have never thought of Greninja especially with how concrete Mewtwo looked at the time. Wii Fit Trainer may have taken this spot, but that happened over a year ago, so a lot of the shock has wore off.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
I would say Greninja, but only because I'm not familiar with Pokemon and hadn't ever seen Greninja before, I was completely expecting a Pokemon newcomer.

Biggest surprise was by far Wii Fit Trainer. My brother told me the morning after the reveal and I thought he was messing with me.

D

Deleted member

chrous kids : troll : Robin and Lucina. 2 new Fire Emblem characters with neither being Chrom I thought was pretty surprising. Greninja too. I think Wii Fit Trainer takes the cake though.

TechPowah

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1951-3245-1423
Maybe the thread title should have "other than Wii Fit Trainer" amended to it. :p

Anyway, beyond WFT, definitely Lucina and Robin. It was such a double whammy to have Lucina for "Woah, the new FE rep isn't Chrom?!?", only for Male Robin also show up leading to "THERE'S GONNA BE TWO FE NEWCOMERS?!? AND NEITHER ONE IS CHROM?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Besides WFT it had to be Greninja. I was sure we'd only get Pikachu, Lucario, PKMN Trainer in some form, Jiggs, and Mewtwo.

No Chrom wasn't a huge surprise. Bias for a female character or a magic user made me think this.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
:4wiifit::4greninja::4robinm::4lucina: These 4 surprised me a bunch, with :4greninja: and :4robinm: being nice surprises for me and :4lucina: disproving the Gematsu leak in my eyes. My initial reaction to :4wiifit: however, wasn't pretty xD

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Wii Fit trainer for sure. Then Lucina because I thought she would be a costume. Then Robin because the Gematsu leak had me thinking there would only be 48-50 characters. Now its more like 50+

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Goodness, all of them.

In terms of newcomers, I expected: :4littlemac::4megaman::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4lucina:
but not these: :4greninja::4robinm::rosalina::4villager::4wiifit:

Wii Fit Trainer takes the cake, though. I literally laughed out loud when I read the IGN article "Wii Fit Trainer joins Smash Bros." with the tagline of "Not a joke."

I never thought that :4lucario::4myfriends::4sonic::4tlink: would see the axe. Maybe Toon Link. Each character had their reasons for staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom