• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your bad habits?

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
We all have our habits that comprise our playstyles. I wanted to look at some of the bad habits that we all had and solutions to address them.

For example, I abuse kart dash a little too much and get punished for my predictable approaches. Instead of constantly attacking out of the side B jump cancel, I need to practice more on closing the gap between me and my opponent and punishing their inevitable reaction.
I also don't air dodge out of up B enough, resulting in gimps when people intercept with weak moves. D:
Thirdly, I have a bad habit of deploying Mechakoopas in unsafe situations, like right above a charging Usmash, or too close to a dashing Sonic/Falcon/Sheik/Fox. There's more endlag on the mechakoopa than you think, especially if you do it in the air...

What are your bad habits with Jr.?

Blanc

Smash Apprentice
I up B out of kart too often, i get punished landing for it

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I hang in the edge a little too often.
I tend to redo a tech if I miss an input in the middle of a match.
I down throw a lot even though it has no guaranteed follow ups and back throw is overall better.

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
I tend to use the same projectile patterns every time. mechakoopa followed by cannonball then usually going into kart. sometimes mix it up with a dash attack but falling into attack patterns is my bad habit for sure.

The_ToolBag

Smash Cadet
NNID
mr.kasabii7
I hold shield too much in predictable ways, which is bad because jump and roll is both slow. Dont utilize up-tilt enough even though it is a great anti-air and combo starter

NamelessCrow

Smash Rookie
Forget F-tilt a lot even though it's really good. Also don't air-attack nearly as much as I could with Bowser Jr. Idk I think I'm just afraid of them hitting me off the stage or far enough away form the ledge when I go to recover and then I'm ****ed hahaa

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
As with a lot of people in here, its easy to tell if im doing well or not on a given day by how much i use ftilt. Its a great move and its easy to forget about it and abuse fair too much.

eherogirl

Smash Cadet
NNID
eherogirl
3DS FC
4656-8298-7700
When I meteor, I get to the edge a little much and if they hit me, I get to far away to grab the edge...

V1cegrip

Banned via Warnings
My old account was hacked. Thus using this new one
using mechakoopa in unsafe situations. (too close or opponent is ready for you to use it, like using it when you're falling back to the stage and greninja jumps up to the sun and uairs you).

EDIT: Also I'd say another bad habit is trying to use utilt against grounded opponents. I say this because too often it misses so i really should not be using it except as an antiair or against really large opponents like Rob or bowser. Until they fix that grounded hitbox it is too much of a risk to be trying to scoop up grounded people, however it's still an amazing anti-air tool that true combos into uair at some percents.

Last edited:

eagle_master

Smash Cadet
NNID
roustik
3DS FC
2852-7293-3760
Im scared to use my killing moves beside Up special when the enemy is either off stage or on the ledge and using the mechakoopa ALOT.

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
Pivot fsmashing but that's more of an execution error. So id probably say not using down smash at all

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
Pivot fsmashing but that's more of an execution error. So id probably say not using down smash at all
Downsmash is actually only active for 2 frames. It's much harder to land than it should be and a lot of the time you can't even use it to cover rolls. I've made perfect reads and missed just due to the fact that it's active for such a short period of time. It's best usage imo is to position yourself on the edge of smashvilles moving platform and use it to clip people who try to jump and approach from the side.

Rexcalibr

Smash Apprentice
Abusing the kart dash and ejection seat too often and relying too much on his mallet to kill, and having the nerve to do the up-taunt giggle when it's not safe to do so and then getting punished.

eagle_master

Smash Cadet
NNID
roustik
3DS FC
2852-7293-3760
I know that the ejection is risky, thats why I always send a Mk behind me when I try to edge guard with it. At least I have a minimum protection or sometimes, I grab one and then do it so that the explosion let me get the kart back.

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Using mk when my opponent is next to me using the hammer after he up b when I'm close to the ground ( it causes huge amount of landing lag).

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
Downsmash is actually only active for 2 frames. It's much harder to land than it should be and a lot of the time you can't even use it to cover rolls. I've made perfect reads and missed just due to the fact that it's active for such a short period of time. It's best usage imo is to position yourself on the edge of smashvilles moving platform and use it to clip people who try to jump and approach from the side.
Lol ever since I read this I've noticed how bad it was and stopped using it. Thought itwas worth using due to kb on shield

VileFC3S

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KookiDowgRX-7
Man that's too much to list but pretty much most of what's been listed above. Relying too much of fair while not spacing with it correctly but instead should be using nair more due to its better horizontal coverage, not using ftilt nor utilt and putting out the mechakoopas in the most awkward times.

Everytime I use it during the neutral game, I would set it out and the opponent would literally stand in the opposite side and just simply grab it with that "umm ok" look. LOL

Top Bottom