• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Your 3 best/worst characters in N64?

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
alot of people have ness or link as one of their worst characters. probably because of being edgeguarded alot, and i don't blame them

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
ness's recovery goes really far, but since it takes so long to hit you, it just makes useless

ShyGuySaysEpicness

Smash Rookie
play me of course ^_^
I thought about the best recovery in the game, then i remembered pikachu's recovery is obviously the best, since it goes just as far, but it doesn't take as long to start, and how would i play you? 64 doesn't have online :/

Last edited:

Earthward Bound

Smash Cadet
imo ness' recovery is the best in the game
We need to have a conversation if you seriously think that. I don't care how long you've been using it or how "good" you can use it your limited by what it is.

- no matter how quick you are your still a sitting duck bringing pkt around to hit yourself. Alot of times you don't make it further from here

- no priority for the last half of the distance of this move, it pretty much gets beaten out by everything. Everything.

- the worst part is if you actually make it back to stage because the landing lag is absurd. Your opponent has time to put down the controller, take a bite out of a sandwich, and decide how to punish you. If you recover from high you can do this at a downward angle to forgo the lag but thats rarely an option.

Ness recovery is probably worst in the game and if you don't think so frankly you havn't played anyone who is really all that good at this game because you would quickly learn how easily his glaring weaknesses in his recovery can be exploited.

Tldr;

If ness makes it back to stage using his recovery, you weren't awesome, your opponent ****ed up.

D

Deleted member

We need to have a conversation if you seriously think that. I don't care how long you've been using it or how "good" you can use it your limited by what it is.

- no matter how quick you are your still a sitting duck bringing pkt around to hit yourself. Alot of times you don't make it further from here

- no priority for the last half of the distance of this move, it pretty much gets beaten out by everything. Everything.

- the worst part is if you actually make it back to stage because the landing lag is absurd. Your opponent has time to put down the controller, take a bite out of a sandwich, and decide how to punish you. If you recover from high you can do this at a downward angle to forgo the lag but thats rarely an option.

Ness recovery is probably worst in the game and if you don't think so frankly you havn't played anyone who is really all that good at this game because you would quickly learn how easily his glaring weaknesses in his recovery can be exploited.

Tldr;

If ness makes it back to stage using his recovery, you weren't awesome, your opponent ****ed up.
lol take a bite out of a sandwich. cx i agree entirely. i think of falcon, samus, and yoshi specifically. even before you are launched, during the recovery, it would take nothing to easily spike ness for the kill. and like you said even if you come back on stage the landing lag is ridiculous, and ness can be punished greatly. a total dealbreaker.

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
in order to get back to the stage with ness, you literally have to knock your opponent's controller out of their hands and hold them at gunpoint to not pick it up.

ShyGuySaysEpicness

Smash Rookie

Tldr;

the only person i really play is my friend, who is honestly pretty bad at the game, he's getting better though

THE_MAAFIA

Smash Ace
in order to get back to the stage with ness, you literally have to knock your opponent's controller out of their hands and hold them at gunpoint to not pick it up.
You guys must reallyyyyyyy be trash with ness, pk thunder towards the ground = extremely less landing lag, ok thunder at ledge= sweet spot

jigglesthepuff

Smash Apprentice
You guys must reallyyyyyyy be trash with ness, pk thunder towards the ground = extremely less landing lag, ok thunder at ledge= sweet spot
aiming pk thunder isn't the problem, it's getting edgeguarded that is. any character can just go offstage and hit you with anything and you're ****ed

Last edited:

Earthward Bound

Smash Cadet
I already covered that at a downward angle you can significantly reduce the lag but thats only an option when recovering from high, and your still vulnerable while performing the move. Especially since the location of where you have to execute it. Not to mention you've lost all priority by the time you've reached the stage you could literally be jabbed out of it.

Sweet spotting the ledge is gimmicky and not a reliable option. Sure its sweet when it happens. Pikachu can still easily run-off nair you or fox can shine for examples before you get that far.

So, for your argument you've provided 2 very niche/situational examples that, while yes, alleviate the biggest hindrance but are still not even great options. Anything else?

D

Deleted member

Best: :fox64::pikachu64::falcon64:
Worst::link64::samus64::dk64:

Edit: Ness' recovery is useless to me on saffron city. My friends get me in-between the buildings so I can't get the thunder to hit me in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Best: :fox64::pikachu64::falcon64:
Worst::link64::samus64::dk64:

Edit: Ness' recovery is useless to me on saffron city. My friends get me in-between the buildings so I can't get the thunder to hit me in the right direction.
Is it even possible to recover in between buildings?

Top Bottom