• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link Vs Sonic [HELP]

Duck123

Smash Rookie
I am having a lot of trouble with young link. He is fast and powerful and his projectiles are lame. I can't seem to beat him. Plus i never can up-b and kick him up and out because he just down smashes and spikes me to the floors. I win like 1/8 fights against him. My friends pretty good with him but even level 9 YL i can't seem to beat unless i get lucky. I need some tips guys can anyone help me.

Duck123

Smash Rookie
Oh my bad i meant Toon link... thanks for your help though all those comments about how young link isnt in the game really helped me out! Super! Thanks! But really can anyone who isnt trying to be a funny guy actually help me out i cant beat this character its getting so frustrating. Thanks DarkNES for trying though i appreciate it. Anyone else have any tips i know you sonic players have to have trouble with TOON LINK too i dont think im that horrible. Thanks.

Umby

Smash Master
Short Hop Aerial dodge his bombs. Shield Dash his arrows, and just be wary of his boomerang. No matter what, there's a very low chance of you completely dodging his boomerang without getting hit by something else or having your shield eaten up. Dash attack as he pulls out a bomb, but if you follow up, stay close and combo him. If you stay close and inactive, he can just SH and drop bomb right there and you'll have landed in the blast.

Don't try and shield grab him from behind unless he's just lagging badly from an attack. Chances are he'll just bair, and no one likes getting caught in TL's bairs.

Be wary of the arrows. TL might try and space a Nair, and while you're thinking he's caught in landing lag and try and dash in, he can actually use Bow Canceling to shoot an arrow to completely halt your approach. Even if your movement isn't completely thrown off, and you keep charging in, you still run the risk of running into his sword. He can also use Short Hopped Double Arrows to mimic Falco's Short Hop Double Lasers, so don't try and play mind games by trying to go immobile. Also, don't be fooled by arrows at midrange, that can just set him up for hyphen smash or dash attack (though you'll rarely see the latter). I also believe his arrows cancel out spin dash/charge. Not sure about that or his boomerang, though.

If you need the KO, the only way you're getting a star KO is from a utilt at around 140%. If you're going for uair>spring>uair, you better be quick or get daired. Otherwise, you'll have to aim for the blast lines on the side. Before he pulls out a projectile to cover his way back, you've got a shot to gimp him with Homing Attack. Other than that, his recovery is rediculous, so force him to come in low and instant edgegrab at the last second. Even if he comes up above the ledge afterwards, you can clock in a quick attack as he lands, possibly even smashing him afterwards.

That's my perspective not from knowing the matchup, but from knowing what I do as Toon Link.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I find Toon Link ridiculously easy to gimp. If I get lucky and he let's me down-throw him when I'm facing the edge I can KO him before he reaches 25%. In general I try to worry less about comboing and stuff against T.L. because it's such an up hill battle if you're using Sonic.

I guess you'll have some problems against the really campy T.L.s that like to keep to the center of the stage but that's where you being an annoying ******* and trying to out camp him comes in. It's hard, but with good speed control and dodging you can do it :D

Top Bottom