• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Young Link Tech trials

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
As many of you may have seen on YouTube, smashers have started to make something called tech trial videos for different characters, what this is if you don't know is a video that shows of important tech skill for a character, and shows you how to do it, the point is to show newer players a range of tech skill that should be mastered for that character. Young Link doesn't have a ton of tech stuff he can do, but he does have a decent amount. I was hoping the board would be able to provide me with some suggestions of tech that could be featured in a trials video, so I can make one and hopefully get more people to pick up young link (and revive this dead *** board). If you are going to leave a suggestion I would appreciate if you provide a name for the tech, a description of how to do it (I'm relatively new to Young link) and what versions of the game it works on. Thank you, hopefully we can get some more young link players!

Also here is an example of a tech trials video for Captain Falcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vclHINyNDA

.toasty

Smash Cadet
I mean outside of standard stuff:
Bomb Tricks: http://smashboards.com/threads/bombs-away-a-guide-on-young-links-bombs-by-njzfinest.79517/
Bomb Jumping: Usually used while recovering, (Throw Bomb Up->Jump->Up Air) If done right, you can regain your jump by hitting your bomb with the up air.
Chain Tricks (1.1 or older only): http://smashboards.com/threads/vide...n-young-links-hookshot-by-smashmac-mac.87676/
Up-B to Ledge: Use an Up-B while almost on top of the edge, and you will slide off and grab the ledge very quickly
Bomb Sliding: Place a bomb on the floor and cause the boomerang to collide with it by throwing it up in the air, if done right the bomb should slide across the stage

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the response! What do you mean by standard stuff? If its a YL exclusive tech, or one that he finds really useful I definitely want to include it

.toasty

Smash Cadet
Nah, I meant just stuff like moonwalking etc...
Anyhow if anything comes else comes to mind I'll be sure to post it.

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
Thank you very much, i can moonwalk consistently, but I can't go even close to the the length of my initial dash, how long can a moonwalk on YL get?

.toasty

Smash Cadet
It's pretty long, longer than Mewtwo's if executed properly. How are you doing it?

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, so I've made a list of techs for the video and separated them into categories: Easy, Medium, and Hard. Let me know what you guys think, and let me know if there's something I should add, especially to the hard section.
Easy:
Bomb drop edgeguards
Bomb setting
Bomb down-air
Air Dodge Grapple

Medium:
Chain wall jump nair
Run off up-b
Bomb/ bow from ledge
Super Jump(1.1)
Airdodge Grapple boomerang cancel(1.1)
Bomb u-air recovery

Hard:
Tripple Ariels
Moon Walking
Edge Canceled ariels

Also I'm making a young link combo video set to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbprnXlXJVY . So If u have any cool combos that should be in the video, feel free to post them or send them to me. So far all the combos I've collected are from either Laijin or Axe, so feel free to post more of their combos, or other peoples! Thanks Guys.

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
I'm interested in picking up YL and the trial videos I've seen for other characters have been super useful. Can't wait for this. :)

JemTheScrub101

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, so I've made a list of techs for the video and separated them into categories: Easy, Medium, and Hard. Let me know what you guys think, and let me know if there's something I should add, especially to the hard section.
Easy:
Bomb drop edgeguards
Bomb setting
Bomb down-air
Air Dodge Grapple

Medium:
Chain wall jump nair
Run off up-b
Bomb/ bow from ledge
Super Jump(1.1)
Bomb u-air recovery

Hard:
Tripple Ariels
Moon Walking
Edge Canceled ariels

Also I'm making a young link combo video set to this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbprnXlXJVY . So If u have any cool combos that should be in the video, feel free to post them or send them to me. So far all the combos I've collected are from either Laijin or Axe, so feel free to post more of their combos, or other peoples! Thanks Guys.
This would be unbelievably useful for some one like me who is learning YL. I can only do the Easy category confidently, and I'm learning everything else. Also, (don't quote me on this) but I think Armada's Young Link has some combos that might be worth checking out, but I'm not sure.

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
I have begun work on a tech trial video. I'm going to use downbfordays's post for reference. I'm probably also going to nab some things off of the bomb/hookshot guides. I also have some ideas of my own. If there's anything you want in there, speak up now!

Don't mind the registration date and number of posts. I've played YL for quite some time, and I've lurked this forum unregistered for months.

Last edited:

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
Good **** dude, i never ended up starting on this, I started on the combo video first, but maybe If you do the tech trial I should finish the combo video lol

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
Would it be helpful to show the necessary inputs, some sort of troubleshooting (e.g. what happens when you input something too early/late) and/or some tech applications? The Marth and Falco trial videos lack those extra details, and I feel like it could be helpful to have that extra step in the YL trials. I don't want to do anything that people would find unnecessary though. Thoughts?

downbfordays

Smash Cadet
i think just talking about application would be good. For example when YL uses running up-b to grab ledge it can catch a fox/falco side-b. However Young Link is still rather unexplored, so some of his techniques aren't real definitive in terms of their use.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Easy:
Bomb drop edgeguards
Bomb setting
Bomb down-air
Air Dodge Grapple

Medium:
Chain wall jump nair
Run off up-b
Bomb/ bow from ledge
Super Jump(1.1)
Bomb u-air recovery

Hard:
Tripple Ariels
Moon Walking
Edge Canceled ariels

-Bomb u-air recovery isn't really a thing.
-Bomb-aerial edgeguards are either matchup specific or just "projectile-aerial" combos.
-Platform and shield-drop u-air is very important to YL. It's probably his best "poke while running away" option on a platform.
-up-b to grab ledge should probably be "hard" and moonwalking should be "medium" (nitpicking).
-Falling grapple poke (using hookshot to poke after you've already airdodged to keep your opponent from punishing you) is something YL's should be used to.
-Sweetspotting the edge with grapple is pretty important.
-b-reverse, grapple, wall jump, double jump, up-b recovery on Fountain of Dreams is a good thing to practice. It doesn't happen that often but it makes you good at this really low recoveries.
-Bomb->dair should be "projectile->aerial". Young Link will add percent with bomb nair or bomb uair (sometimes other aerials but quite rare) and kill with bomb uair or bomb dair. I think Bomb nair is most important, personally. Young Link can, and does, use both boomerangs and fire arrows to combo into aerials.
-Up-B, held bomb explodes, be reset (possibly up-B again, other options) as a recovery move when knocked very far is important to know.
-Bomb exploding to negate momentum is useful.
-Jump out of shield, throw bomb down, run away, is a Young Link thing.
-Throw bomb ledge re-grab. Also works with wall jump reverse bomb throw ledge-regrab.
-Bomb re-grab off opponent's shield

Other Young Link players/videos:
Chu Dat plays YL
Armada, obviously
Sora
Wak or D20 for older school stuff.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP9Car43ZYI#t=2m55s Chu Dat has a solid recovery trick at like 2:58
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB_zWPo3tRE#t=1m52s Sora shows a few YL tricks from 1:50-2:05

If I had to make a list of techns, easy/medium/hard, then..

Easy: Techs to give you, at least, a pocket Young Link.
-Projectile + Aerial. Include 3 examples in the video: Bomb nair which does percent, boomerang upwards into uair, and bomb-dair which kills. YL's absolute core.
-Air-dodge grapple. As a recovery. Fundamental recovering skills.
-
Grapple sweetspotting & timing. Recovery cont.
-
Jump out-of-shield, throw bomb down, run away, to escape. Defense.
-Held bomb exploding to aid recovery or stop momentum. Intro to survivability, "resetting" YL, and item game.

Medium: Will make your Young Link at least semi-competitive.
-Drop or shield drop through platform into uair. Platform defense & decent offense. Greatly improves platforming loving YL's platform game.
-
Edge-cancelled aerials, particularly uair, dair, and nair. Greatly improves his speed and offense.
-
Bomb-off-shield re-grab.Young Link is an item-based character, and this tech alone greatly improves a players' item game.
-
Grapple wall-jump mix-ups (dj bair, dj nair, airdodge, dj airdodge). Greatly improves mix-up game and recovery.
-Bair, double-jump mix-ups (bair dj bair nair pressure, bair dj run away, etc.) Greatly improves his pressure game and gets you used to pushing buttons faster.
-
Bomb setting. Option coverage and baiting opponent. Requires thought to use right.

Hard: Will help you main Young Link, but are hard or risky.
-Runoff up-B. Improves edgehogging, but very risky and almost only warranted when little time exists (or when being flashy).
-
Bomb/arrow ledge-regrab. Requires tight inputs, and could result in death, but makes recovering and ledge game way better.
-
Boomerang reset recovery (air-dodge->tether, NTSC 1.1 or 1.0) If you're serious about maining YL, get a 1.0 or 1.1 version of melee. This helps recovery a ton. Kinda hard to do well and could kill you if done wrong.

Explanations of techs not included:
-Moonwalking. I don't find it very useful to YL, and almost never see YL mains use it with purpose.
-Bomb/dair edgeguard. I consider this to be an advanced form of "projectile->aerial" and thus already covered. Plus, I find this particular set-up only really useful against marth/mario recoveries, maybe DK/Bowser too.
-Up-air bomb recovery. This isn't really useful, to be honest. It doesn't really help with recovery.
-Super jump. Hard to set-up, TO might consider stalling, requires unique version, etc.

That's just my input/opinion. Take from it what you will.

Last edited:

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
-Bomb u-air recovery isn't really a thing.
-Bomb-aerial edgeguards are either matchup specific or just "projectile-aerial" combos.
-Platform and shield-drop u-air is very important to YL. It's probably his best "poke while running away" option on a platform.
-up-b to grab ledge should probably be "hard" and moonwalking should be "medium" (nitpicking).
-Falling grapple poke (using hookshot to poke after you've already airdodged to keep your opponent from punishing you) is something YL's should be used to.
-Sweetspotting the edge with grapple is pretty important.
-b-reverse, grapple, wall jump, double jump, up-b recovery on Fountain of Dreams is a good thing to practice. It doesn't happen that often but it makes you good at this really low recoveries.
-Bomb->dair should be "projectile->aerial". Young Link will add percent with bomb nair or bomb uair (sometimes other aerials but quite rare) and kill with bomb uair or bomb dair. I think Bomb nair is most important, personally. Young Link can, and does, use both boomerangs and fire arrows to combo into aerials.
-Up-B, held bomb explodes, be reset (possibly up-B again, other options) as a recovery move when knocked very far is important to know.
-Bomb exploding to negate momentum is useful.
-Jump out of shield, throw bomb down, run away, is a Young Link thing.
-Throw bomb ledge re-grab. Also works with wall jump reverse bomb throw ledge-regrab.
-Bomb re-grab off opponent's shield

Other Young Link players/videos:
Chu Dat plays YL
Armada, obviously
Sora
Wak or D20 for older school stuff.

[10 posts to post links lmao] Chu Dat has a solid recovery trick at like 2:58
[10 posts to post links lmao] Sora shows a few YL tricks from 1:50-2:05

If I had to make a list of techns, easy/medium/hard, then..

Easy: Techs to give you, at least, a pocket Young Link.
-Projectile + Aerial. Include 3 examples in the video: Bomb nair which does percent, boomerang upwards into uair, and bomb-dair which kills. YL's absolute core.
-Air-dodge grapple. As a recovery. Fundamental recovering skills.
-
Grapple sweetspotting & timing. Recovery cont.
-
Jump out-of-shield, throw bomb down, run away, to escape. Defense.
-Held bomb exploding to aid recovery or stop momentum. Intro to survivability, "resetting" YL, and item game.

Medium: Will make your Young Link at least semi-competitive.
-Drop or shield drop through platform into uair. Platform defense & decent offense. Greatly improves platforming loving YL's platform game.
-
Edge-cancelled aerials, particularly uair, dair, and nair. Greatly improves his speed and offense.
-
Bomb-off-shield re-grab.Young Link is an item-based character, and this tech alone greatly improves a players' item game.
-
Grapple wall-jump mix-ups (dj bair, dj nair, airdodge, dj airdodge). Greatly improves mix-up game and recovery.
-Bair, double-jump mix-ups (bair dj bair nair pressure, bair dj run away, etc.) Greatly improves his pressure game and gets you used to pushing buttons faster.
-
Bomb setting. Option coverage and baiting opponent. Requires thought to use right.

Hard: Will help you main Young Link, but are hard or risky.
-Runoff up-B. Improves edgehogging, but very risky and almost only warranted when little time exists (or when being flashy).
-
Bomb/arrow ledge-regrab. Requires tight inputs, and could result in death, but makes recovering and ledge game way better.
-
Boomerang reset recovery (air-dodge->tether, NTSC 1.1 or 1.0) If you're serious about maining YL, get a 1.0 or 1.1 version of melee. This helps recovery a ton. Kinda hard to do well and could kill you if done wrong.

Explanations of techs not included:
-Moonwalking. I don't find it very useful to YL, and almost never see YL mains use it with purpose.
-Bomb/dair edgeguard. I consider this to be an advanced form of "projectile->aerial" and thus already covered. Plus, I find this particular set-up only really useful against marth/mario recoveries, maybe DK/Bowser too.
-Up-air bomb recovery. This isn't really useful, to be honest. It doesn't really help with recovery.
-Super jump. Hard to set-up, TO might consider stalling, requires unique version, etc.

That's just my input/opinion. Take from it what you will.
Yooooo. This was exactly the kind of post I was looking for. It honestly helps a bunch. You wouldn't mind if I used some of your comments on the techs in the video, no? You have a lot of well-worded stuff in there, and credit is given where due. I feel like it would be really helpful to have that stuff in there.

I was planning on showing bomb-dair edgeguards as an application of other techs.

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Yooooo. This was exactly the kind of post I was looking for. It honestly helps a bunch. You wouldn't mind if I used some of your comments on the techs in the video, no? You have a lot of well-worded stuff in there, and credit is given where due. I feel like it would be really helpful to have that stuff in there.

I was planning on showing bomb-dair edgeguards as an application of other techs.
Do with it whatever you want. Glad I could help. Although if you did credit me and used my words, I'd prefer it not to be very direct.
Don't write something like:
EX: The shielded bomb-regrab is good because, "Young Link is an item-based character, and this tech alone greatly improves a player's item game." - Eddy Bear

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
It's been a while. Just dropping in to say I haven't abandoned this. I got a better capture device, so I'm going to re-record some segments, but I'm not going to be able to do any good video editing for a week or two. Sorry for the wait! The video will be great!

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to be able to begin video editing this Sunday. Expect release sometime from Sunday to Wednesday. Sorry for the wait!

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
The video is rendering as we speak. Finished it up about 30 minutes ago. From here, we should be good to go.

If everything goes right, it should be up around 9PM EST (estimation based on render time)

vegas pls

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
I saw your sheik trials before I saw this thread, And it was because I wanted to say something about the run-off Up+B. There is a hitbox that appears right when you slide off of the edge, but I never have seen anyone actually make use of this.

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
Vegas crashed while I was out and about. Sorry about that, guys. I'll keep an eye on it this render around.

Again, I'm really sorry.

Jimmology

Smash Cadet
This may be a noob question but I want to ask it anyway to enhance my knowledge of the character. Does everyone who plays young link use the c-stick for throwing bombs midair so the can have more maneuverability with the analog stick? Also when playing Young Link do you use claw grip or normal grip on the controller? Sorry if these are dumb questions I have just been skeptical of my play style.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
I use C-stick to throw bombs when I want to make sure I throw it far and regular A to throw it closer to me and I don't like claw I just hold the controller and use X to jump don't let anyone tell you how to play the game or who you should play or how to hold your controller. In the end it's all good

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
This is not the video release. It is uploading right at this moment.

The render was finally successful. The quality suffers a little bit in a few places, but I'll take it for now. If I get a better render, I'll just re-upload it. As it is, it looks pretty good. Maybe I'll come back and clean it up a little bit at some point, but it probably isn't necessary. I prioritized information over aesthetics, and it still looks pretty good, so that bodes well.

It's uploading to YouTube right now, and I'll post the link as soon as it finishes. My Internet connection is not being very nice to me right now, so it could be a while (as long as it doesn't cut out mid-upload, it should come out at a pretty reasonable time). Until then, here's the list of trials included in the video:

Trials #1-4 - Easy Techniques
  • Trial #1: Projectile to Aerial
  • Trial #2: Airdodge Grappling
  • Trial #3: Bomb Setting
  • Trial #4: Bomb Escape Tricks

Trials #5-7 - Intermediate Techniques
  • Trial #5: Bomb off Shield Re-Grab
  • Trial #6: Projectiles from Ledge
  • Trial #7: Run-off Up B

Trials #8-9 - Advanced Techniques
  • Trial #8: Edge-Canceled Aerials
  • Trial #9: Triple Aerials

Obviously, I did not cover all the techs mentioned in the thread. I chose to not include certain techs because I felt they weren't techs as much as mixups or strategies that are not all that integral to YL's play. An example is the held bomb exploding. I almost included it in the video, but ultimately decided not to because it's unreliable and impossible to set up; it seems that, whenever it happens to someone, it was unintentional. The only applications I found that were remotely reliable were rolling from ledge when the bomb explodes (which is super nice), shielding the explosion (sort of a "get away" thing that can be punished by grab) and CCing the explosion into dsmash.

Though it's useful, it's not really tech. I think letting a bomb explode in your hands would be more appropriate to cover in a more practical and general Young Link strategy guide (it's a nice neutral game tool). If the tech trials video is okay enough, I can also put together such a video (with either text or voice).

Though there are only nine trials, there are many examples and, for a lack of a better term, sub-trials (e.g. bomb escape tricks covering both waveland and oos z-drop/throw). There's a fair amount of material covered, so don't worry.

Bonus stuff! Here are some video snapshots (demonstration/gloating of video quality and some cool extra tidbits):

Here are some nice trial title cards. The small text at the top remains throughout the entire trial. I put it there because people click around YouTube videos, and I want to make sure people always know what they're watching.

Whenever I wanted to add in extra information, I paused and darkened the footage (with a nice little fade effect) and overlayed the text. It turned out to be a pretty good system.

This is not a clean picture. Ouch. It actually looks good in the final product, but Vegas gave me this crap for a screenshot. Don't worry. Anyway, yeah, the red circle and text have this nice "drawn on" effect. It's a pretty little animation that looks pretty good and emphasizes important detils. My penmanship isn't too good, but it works.

Input visual aids update in real time to establish visual cues and illustrate timing.

I can't wait for it to finish uploading. Hopefully my connection decides to cooperate sometime soon.

Last edited:

Mr. S

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if I accidentally double post. My Internet is being a huge pain.

Ugh. Sorry that it's taking forever, guys. My Internet keeps cutting off at intervals short enough to ruin uploading even with some compression.

I'm going to call my ISP later today and get to the bottom of this.

Taylorswift4President

Smash Rookie
I have been reading Smashboards since 2007 and never felt the need to get an account. But after picking up a young link secondary a few weeks back, I've been checking everyday for this tech trial video to come out. I really hope Mr. S's ISP pulls through soon!

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
They haven't been on Smashboards since December 6th.

I've been considering getting a streaming/recording set-up to use in my state, and if that happens, then I'd consider making the tech trial video.

Rosy

Smash Apprentice
Well, I created the video myself since this was a bust. Only problem is, this damn website won't let me post the link. Look it up on youtube if you guys are still curious. just type in "young link trial video".

Jimmology

Smash Cadet
Well, I created the video myself since this was a bust. Only problem is, this damn website won't let me post the link. Look it up on youtube if you guys are still curious. just type in "young link trial video".
Thanks and good job.

Top Bottom