• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

-Young Link Advice/Questions Topic-

Eggz

Smash Hero
I'm tired of seeing so many threads asking questions that have been answered over and over again, and are obvious to the average smasher. I figure this will stop at least some of those from popping up.

Post asking anything you want about Young Link that you're not sure about or just don't know. I will answer your question within the day, and if anyone else wants to answer before I can, go for it, and false information given will be corrected.

Also it wouldn't hurt to check this thread, or others before asking but, it really won't matter much.

Ask away.

rhan

Smash Hero
Since no one has posted in the thread I'll help it out.

When playing Young Link, have you ever thrown your boomerang then up B and have the boomerang pull you out of the helpless state allowing an extra up B (or anything)? If so how is it done? What frames before or after the helpless state does the boomerang need to be caught?

It sounds wierd but I have had this happen to be before and I couldn't seem to recreate it. I think it happened on the old version of the game. But I'm not entirely sure.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
Beat me to it. I was gonna make a type of "ask about YL here" type of thread when my combo video finally gets done, but oh well :p

I don't really have any questions, err... but I will try to answer as well.

I have the oldest version of Melee, so I will try some up B stuff and see if I can do recreate that.

D20

Smash Lord
I was considering getting around to this myself... but then again I was considering making a combo video for the last three years, too.

Anyhow, have any Young Link players beaten a quality Fox player in a tournament in the last year? If so (not likely), how?

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
New Bomb tech?

hey i posted about this a while back in someone elses thread, but it got no interest and no feed back whatsoever. but i still want to know if this was discovered earlier or not.

Old School Bomb drop.

run dash dance w/e short hop drop bomb land catch it. repeat. messes with ppl's heads and stuff. fun mind games.

New School Bomb drop?

you can run dash dance w/e you want. short hop throw (not drop) with A, land wavedash after your bomb and catch it before it hits the ground. this looks really really sexy and it really hard to pull off.

can anyone see benefits to this? it's really awesome imo.

if you guys want i can try to get a vid up this weekend maybe. it's pretty hard to do

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
I do it sometimes but I usually **** up and air dodge >< it is fairly hard to do. Difficult to do in a match, actually. I thought I had discovered it too a while back, but I also thought I discovered the boomer-shot tricks (then I noticed the hookshot frenzy guide lol)

I love doing it and it can be a mindgame. In a tourney, I'd do it. Then again I don't always act towards the best winning strategy lol so maybe I'm not the best one to answer about usage! Use what ya like, that's my motto. (I guess)

sorry for not responding when you mentioned it earlier

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
...that sounds really cool. Maybe not that useful, but cool.

Almost as cool as fulljump arrow to waveland dsmash!

=P

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
sorry for not responding when you mentioned it earlier
no prob. i'm glad it's at least getting recognition this time :p

ya seriously this trick is the ****. i didn't know others knew about it lol. i kinda figured tho. it's hard to find NEW tricks these days. theres not enough technical young links out there or something (or like you said maybe it's just not smart to use it and they are smart).

anyways. i like it and plan on using it more :D

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
The only thing I think people don't know is...

you can air dodge and cancel it with a bomb throw if you do it immediately. It's difficult to tell the difference but it can look cool. Any char can do it with an item. Easier way to tell is jump forward, immediately air dodge forward and hit the C-stick up or down. YL will kind of swoop when he does it. Pretty useless but looks interesting at times. Maybe there is more to it, doubt it.

I never see anyone else doing the drop-bomb waveland, which I find to be just hot as hell. jump through platform, tap Z and waveland immediately.

I love to fulljump and toss the bomb up, double jump back, grab bomb, drop bomb AGAIN, then hit bomb on way down with boomer, arrow, or hookshot. Just looks fun.

You can fulljump boomerang to waveland too it's kind of hard though.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
full hop bomb drop air dodge hook shot, REGRAB throw. ;)

i do that one you mentioned about jumping through the plat dropping it then wavelanding. it's pretty cool. i'm gonna experiment with your air dodge thing tho.

rhan

Smash Hero
Hate to be a buzz killington..... I see absolutly no use in learning this trick. It's not going to help in a match. It'll either result in the opponent taking advantage of you failing at this trick or you just killing the fuse on the bomb so it may explode on yourself. Personally showing off is not good in a serious match. This could be fun and cool to do probably the first few times in friendlies, but it's not worth it.

Yeah..... Honesty is a *****. :(

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
While Rhan is pretty much dead on... I personally enter tournaments out of a desire for fun... so showing off is okay for me!

but... yeah if you really do want to win it might be best to avoid it lol

edit : nevermind
if you want to win, pick fox lol

metashinryu

Smash Ace
i have a move i dunno if it was already used:on FD edge, throw the boomerang(smash one if you like) pull a bomb then wait for the boomerang to comeback and throw the bomb, if you do it right the boomerang hits the bomb and pulls it a little to the side of boomerangs comeback and travels diagonally down, ideal to link/samus chain-comeback(dunno official name sorry) screwing up.

i posted this on link boards but they didnt repy if it was used,i think it can be done with y.link too XD

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
*plays fox*
k were good.
*shows off WAY WAY WAY MORE*
o.O

young link is just a low tier fun guy for me. so i show off when i want :p i wouldn't use him in tourney personally.

rhan

Smash Hero
I use Young Link in tourney whenever I can. Only time I don't is in the Marth matchup.

People underestimate how amazing a low tier can be.

Top Bottom