• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You'll never see it coming! - Joker steals a spot! (Persona 5 X Smash Ultimate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryXLII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HenryXLII
3DS FC
3153-3904-2933
Where is he from?

Joker is the protagonist from the latest installment of Atlas's core series: Persona. Persona is a unique fantasy RPG series that takes place in the modern era. The protagonists are just everyday normal people, until they find some magical way to venture in the subconscious of others, where they are empowered by Personas, beings that are a combination of mythology, blatant symbolism, and aspects of their personality. Using these Personas, they fight the shadows and demons found in the depths of the mind.

The games combine elements from both visual novels and dungeon crawlers, and has a large fan base in both the U.S and in Japan, and the series is large and influential enough, that I believe it deserves representation in Smash.

I thought Persona was a Playstation exclusive??
Though Sony has had exclusivity rights to the main series Persona games, characters from the series have appeared on Nintendo games in the Persona Q series, where Joker is scheduled to appear in the 3DS exclusive Persona Q 2. Persona is also a spin off from the Shin-Megami Tensei series which has had Nintendo exclusives in the past. So Joker appearing is not Impossible.

What Can He Do?

Joker can summons literally over hundreds of Personas based on how the game is played, but his canonical Persona is Arsene, a giant winged gentleman with slight disregard for rules. Arsene grants Joker various physical attacks and access to dark magic, though the player can technically equip Arsene with any kind of magic. When summoning a giant winged demon is a bit overkill, Joker brandishes a Knife and a Pistol to deliver quick blows.

Moveset Speculation

Joker's main method of attack would be his Persona Arsene who is treated as a separate character. The thing that separates this from Luma, is that Arsene is not always present, and vanishes after Joker finishes his move. Arsene does not flinch, and cannot be knocked back, but can be damaged and K.Oed. When Arsene is down, Joker will be a significantly weaker character with no kill power, using only quick slashes from his knife to defend himself.

Jab: Joker's default attack from Persona 5. Involves rapid slashes through a series of flips
Tilts: Various Knife swings
Forward Smash: Arsene casts "Cleave" and swipes forward with his claws
Up Smash: Arsene uses his wings to flip himself upwards delivering a series of kicks
Down Smash: Arsene flaps his wings downward, similar to Palutena's down Smash

Up B: Arsene takes flight, and Joker grabs on via some chains. Arsene is vulnerable during this time, and this recovery cannot be used if Arsene is down. Joker can cancel it at anytime however, and act afterwards.
Neutral B: Joker pulls out his pistol and rapid fires, being his main way to defend himself when Arsene is down. This might be controversial, as Joker is a high-schooler wielding a very realistic looking gun. But this can be worked around by making the gun blatantly fake (All of the guns Joker uses in the game are actually props)
Side B: Joker uses Arsene to cast "Eiha", causing ghosts to rise from the ground at a set distance. Touching these ghosts will damage the opponent, and possibly inflict them them poison.
Down B: Joker holds his mask, healing Arsene, similar to Cloud's limit. This is the only way to get Arsene back besides dying, and Arsene cannot be revived until reaching full health.

Final Smash: All Out Attack

The background turns red, and everyone is shrouded by silhouette. Joker leaps into the air and the portrait of himself with three other random party members appear, a barrage of blurs then go across the stage dealing damage to all caught in the cross fire.

https://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/persona-5-all-out-attack-gif-6.gif

(Smashboards will not let me upload an image at the moment, so here is a link to the reference)

Pros and Cons

Pros
-Personality: Despite being another anime pretty boy, Joker is far from bland. He has a very cocky "I am better than you" attitude, and always looks like he is having fun.
-Persona Music: The Persona series has some really great tracks, even when restrained to just Persona 5. Some that stand out are Last Surprise (of course), Keeper of Lust, and Wake Up Get Up Get Out There.
-Unique Fighting style
-Is owned by Sega, so could serve as another Rep.
-Would increase relations between Nintendo and Atlas (Seriously, Persona games feel like they were meant to be on the switch.)

Cons
-Persona 5 is a Playstation exclusive, unless Nintendo announces a Switch version, Joker's chances are slim.

-While Joker is fine in size, Arsene is pretty big and would need the Ridley treatment, which might prove too awkward on a disjointed character.
-Joker is a high-school student with a gun, this could prove very controversial and unsafe in the States.

What are your thoughts? The Persona series is one of my favorite game series, and if Joker got in I would actually jump through my window into the bushes out of hype. So I am a little biased.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom