• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You know what we need....

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
We need more platform crossover fighting games. While one could say that Super Smash Bros has inspired enough already and that Smash is the god of platform fighters and no one else is allowed to make them, I beg to differ. In the last decade and a half since Smash Bros, we actually haven't had many of note. Cartoon Network: PTE, DreamMix TV World Fighters and Playstation All-Stars are really the only ones that really spring to mind.

And while I love crossovers of any kind, only one genre of crossover gets me pumped out the most, and that is the platform fighter. To me, they always manage to capture the mindset of a child by having completely separate characters meet up with each other in a way that no other genre of fighting games can truly accomplish.

I saw the Lego Movie today with some mates, and almost everyone loved the message at the end. If you've seen the film then you know what I mean.

(SPOILER ALERT)

At the end, it turns out the entire film was pretty much taking place inside the imagination of a kid playing with his Lego toys, with his strict dad telling him not to mess with his 'mature' way of ordering his toys perfectly. Doesn't that plot sound awfully familiar to the intro of Super Smash Bros? While the characters in Smash Bros aren't actually toys as such, even though Master Hand does supposedly treat them as such, the idea of Smash Bros was meant to parallel to how children take all their toys and make them fight and play together.

(SPOILER END)

Disney Infinity kind of got my hopes up as the crossover characters you could use in the game came in the form of actual toys that you can buy, collect and play with in real life as well as inside the game, but the game turned out to be a ****ty 'toybox' simulator, which is completely false advertising because in most modes, the characters can't interact with each other at all. Lame.

This was utterly disappointing, because seeing all the characters owned by Disney duking it out in a platform fighter would be awesome. However, all hope is not lost my friends. After the new Smash Bros comes out, I believe a whole slew of crossover platform fighers will emerge, and everyone will be happy.

Top Bottom