• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

You Have A Fair Amount Left To Learn - Jamurai's MK Notes

You Have A Fair Amount Left To Learn - Jamurai's MK Notes

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Jamurai submitted a new guide:

You Have A Fair Amount Left To Learn - Jamurai's MK Notes - A guide on what exactly to practise to get better at Meta Knight for new(ish) players

EDIT: This is now complete. :4metaknight:

FYI, this is the thing I talked about in the social thread yesterday:

Alright I've spent the last couple of afternoons and evenings scouring most of the threads on MK boards for information and compiling it. I've ended up with a few pages of concise notes which I'm using as a guide for when I'm practising, it has basically everything I want to know except for a list of advanced combos (which I don't think I'll need for a while). Would it be helpful to rearrange them and then provide them in the form of a guide/thread/post as a sort of method or protocol for newer MK players to help them git gud?

Personally, when I started trying to learn a couple of months ago, I wasn't sure what I should be working on first and what counts as basic MK stuff and what is advanced, what a low level MK absolutely needs to get down (eg. Up-B OOS) and what is less critical (eg. 0-death footstool combos). Based on the well-known resources as well as posts from Ito, Fye etc. my notes contain my impression of basic & intermediate level techniques, neutral game strategies and whatnot, that new/inexperienced MK players need to work on to improve. I'm not sure if this is just something I like to do when I work on a project (making concise lists), and hence is not worth the effort and clutter when we have a lot of resources already like Bonk!'s guide, or whether newer MKs could all benefit from a guide like mine to help them begin the journey to bat ball mastery.
Anyway I took busken's advice and shared it. Should be done in the next couple of days.

Introduction

Hello, I'm Jamurai and this is my Meta Knight "guide". This guide is kind of different to your conventional guide, it is a set of notes I have created to help myself become a better MK player, rearranged in a more guide-like format to help others who aspire to become a bat ball master.

If you're after a conventional guide all about Meta Knight and his moves and techniques from...
Read more about this guide...

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
So, basically a guide on the mentality of MK play? Kinda nice. Just a few things I guess:

-Walking is useful only in certain matchups. Basically if we have better mobility and don't need to be twitchy, because it makes spacing easier like you said. Don't use walking that much against characters like Shiek.
-Mid range is where we always want to be! It's where we thrive. We're quite good at staying at this range and throwing out things like fsmash to entice our opponent to approach and make a mistake.
-Your section covering reactions to enemy getups is a little lack luster. It doesn't even mention jab, and just says to hold shield at ledge, which can work, but not always. Standing midway between the ledge and how far the opponent will roll with a roll getup covers every option an opponent choose, while standing right on the ledge and holding shield doesn't cover the roll option. Also, you could mention that standing back to the ledge and jabbing can be interesting as well, because of the weird mechanic where MK will immediately grab the ledge after the jab connects on a neutral getup.

Altogether the guide feels like a coverage of smash 4 fundamentals in general. If you get a little more specific about our options I and just expand the guide in general, it could be pretty good.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Thanks for the corrections, good points, I will def edit them in. The "combos to focus on" section is an important one and I would appreciate criticism on that one once it's in too.

It's meant to be some advice for a good mentality/neutral game, and some for developing a reasonable punish game, without delving into the tens of advanced combos and matchup-dependent techniques which are needed for high-level play (I'm not at that level... yet :smirk:). Hope that makes sense.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Sounds good, I'll hold off on rating until it's a little more finished :)

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Also, you could mention that standing back to the ledge and jabbing can be interesting as well, because of the weird mechanic where MK will immediately grab the ledge after the jab connects on a neutral getup.
Just wondering, is this actually a good thing? Surely what ends up happening is that you hit them with a couple of hits of jab, fall back onto the ledge, and you and your opponent effectively swap position with you finding yourself in the disadvantage state. Or can you follow up with drop down Up-B or something?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Well it cancels all jab lag and you can drop down jump forward air or whatever. It certainly can have some use, you just have to know it exists.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
This is now pretty much complete. Please criticise and review to your hearts content. I will probably expand a couple of bits later on anyway, if I think of anything to add.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
I'm having a trouble doing the D-throw to shuttle loop combo. Can you elaborate a bit more on it? Or do a video if you're capable of that? Would be much appreciated.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
To be honest it only works until about mid %s if your opponent DIs away; sliding Fthrow is pretty much superior in every respect, it's harder to DI (because it's so fast) and it works for a wider range of %s.

However, Dthrow is the better option if the opponent is at mid %, and you've performed a standing/pivot grab instead of a dash grab. Fthrow doesn't true-combo into much (if anything) from a standing start because it has low hitstun.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Oh my. I actually meant the sliding F-throw but my phone auto corrects that to D-throw.. This is what you get out of being a Luigi main.

Anyways. I wanted to ask how the sliding F-throw works, but I managed to get it to work by rereading your instructions a bit and trying different timing for the throw after the grab. It's really great. Thanks for the info man.

Zonez

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bowser2720
This guide is very nice, I'll give it 5 outta 5 stars.

Top Bottom